Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I love Cobra's climax. They go immediately from an orange grove to a steel refinery.

Like, the refinery is in the middle of the grove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

I love Cobra's climax. They go immediately from an orange grove to a steel refinery.

Like, the refinery is in the middle of the grove.

Yeah the chase is on the motorway then scenic backroad in the blink of an eye

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

bobkatt013 posted:

and he cuts pizza with scissors.

And keeps his gun cleaning supplies in... an egg carton... in the fridge.

Also, newspapers go on the grill.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
Anyone who thinks Cobra is a bad movie should be hanged on a hook!!

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I liked the bit with the robot.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

the Bunt posted:

Anyone who thinks Cobra is a bad movie should be hanged on a hook!!

Is that why Mussolini met that meat hook?

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Okay, this is a bit of a long shot but maybe someone read about it somewhere that I'm just not looking.

Does anyone know what happened with Kubrick that made him take so long to make his final film? I keep reading about how he spent two years obsessing over Eyes Wide Shut to the point where he basically died trying to finish it, but never have never seen any kind of speculation or explanation regarding why he spent over a decade not doing anything at all.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Did you see the documentary Stanley Kubrick's Boxes? I forget if it goes into EWS particularly but it shows how obsessive he was about his films.

e:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htQq3oYO5sI

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 22, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Schweinhund posted:

Did you see the documentary Stanley Kubrick's Boxes? I forget if it goes into EWS particularly but it shows how obsessive he was about his films.

He made Shelly Duvall cry due to all the takes he did during the Shining.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I'm aware of his obsession with his work which I guess just makes the fact that he went 13 years between movies and there doesn't seem to be an explanation for this anywhere all the more confounding. We're talking about a guy who previously got so antsy waiting for studios to approve a big budget movie for him that he moved to London to film Clockwork Orange on the cheap. Did he go through a creative drought? Did he just feel like he needed to relax for a while? Was he having trouble finding financial backing that let him have complete control?

Kind of like how Malick similarly just seems to breathe film-making but still decided to take a break for two decades.

kuddles fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 23, 2012

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This isn't really a great movie question but I'm never going to see the movie so I thought I'd ask it. It's about the end of Men in Black 3, which I don't care about at all but I can't find any reviews that spoil the ending:

I read a review that said the end was unexpected and poignant (I guess that's the spoiler I'm worried about exposing to anyone who might care to see the movie). Based on those two words and the depth of hollywood's creative bankruptcy, I assume that the end of the movie is that Will Smith dies in the past and it makes Tommy Lee Jones treat him like an rear end in a top hat when they meet in the first movie--or dying Will Smith makes young Tommy Lee Jones swear to treat him like an rear end in a top hat when they meet in the future or something like that. I don't know if I'm proud of myself for guessing that or what, but I kind of want to know if it's true.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Kubrick was a tirelessly obsessive researcher, too. Between Full Metal Jacket and Eyes Wide Shut, for example, he spent time researching for a project called Aryan Papers, about a Jewish woman and her nephew in Nazi Poland. He spent so much time researching it that by the time he had a first draft written, Spielberg had made Schindler's List and Kubrick folded. A Clockwork Orange was made because his Napoleon project was crushed by the studio after Waterloo bombed, and all of his research into the ear (of which there is tons and tons and tons) later went into making Barry Lyndon. Part of the delays between his last three films is probably partially due to age, too.

Just to give some idea of how long he worked on these films, he read and decided to make a film out of The Short-Timers in 1982, started research in 1983, began writing in 1985, and finished shooting in late 1986. I think what really happened was that Kubrick became more concerned with perfection. Kubrick himself was these movies, this was what of him he was leaving behind, and he wanted them to be as perfect a realization of his ideas and expression as they could possibly be.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also he was trying to make A.I. in that period, and kinda got sidetracked with this one idea to actually have the main character be some kind of animatronic puppet thing, but the tests were just horrible.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

That's a character thing.

AlternateAccount posted:

And keeps his gun cleaning supplies in... an egg carton... in the fridge.

Also, newspapers go on the grill.

No really

Director George Cosmotos posted:

That was a character thing

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Unless he had some sort of reverse fridge, Cobretti also kept his pizza in the freezer.

Which is pretty weird, right?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

live with fruit posted:

Unless he had some sort of reverse fridge, Cobretti also kept his pizza in the freezer.

Frozen pizza is not weird. Naming his character Marion Cobretti? That's pretty weird.

Its Miller Time
Dec 4, 2004

Can anyone recommend a good resource for the accounting/economics/finance of the movie industry? Going through perhaps the difference between studios, distributors, indies and majors, the individual line items such as P&A, and the typical length of windows such as paid and free tv.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

bobkatt013 posted:

Then the man clearly knows what's up because gently caress pizza wheels, scissors for life.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

live with fruit posted:

He obviously keeps his pizza in the freezer so it's easier to cut with scissors.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

CPL593H posted:

He obviously keeps his pizza in the freezer so it's easier to cut with scissors.

If you do that your pizza shatters into a thousand shards :(

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

NeuroticErotica posted:

If you do that your pizza shatters into a thousand shards :(

Do you know this from personal experience, did you watch Cobra and say to yourself, "I should modle my life after this guy"?

They were trying to show that either he was too poor for a decent fridge, or that the future was so hosed that utilities were significantly underpowered that the fridge didn't keep things cold and freezer didn't freeze poo poo.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Jack Gladney posted:

This isn't really a great movie question but I'm never going to see the movie so I thought I'd ask it. It's about the end of Men in Black 3, which I don't care about at all but I can't find any reviews that spoil the ending:

Plot synopsis on the wiki page.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So Cobretti was basically a bizarre aspie goon. I guess that makes some sense. He probably pooped in socks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

So Cobretti was basically a bizarre aspie goon. I guess that makes some sense. He probably pooped in socks.

That was probably a character thing.

My favorite part of Cobra is the concept of the Ax Gang. I mean, they are some sort of satanic anarchists or something, but they like to get together and clang fireaxes together? Is that... based on something actual criminals have ever done? since like the dark ages?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Do you know this from personal experience, did you watch Cobra and say to yourself, "I should modle my life after this guy"?

They were trying to show that either he was too poor for a decent fridge, or that the future was so hosed that utilities were significantly underpowered that the fridge didn't keep things cold and freezer didn't freeze poo poo.

Wait... Cobra was set in the future?

Snak posted:

That was probably a character thing.

My favorite part of Cobra is the concept of the Ax Gang. I mean, they are some sort of satanic anarchists or something, but they like to get together and clang fireaxes together? Is that... based on something actual criminals have ever done? since like the dark ages?

Those guys were the best. I wish I could find a group I could join and clang axes together.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

marktheando posted:

Those guys were the best. I wish I could find a group I could join and clang axes together.

I think Cobra took place in the Last Action Hero universe, only unironically.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Armyman25 posted:

I think Cobra took place in the Last Action Hero universe, only unironically.

I think it took place in the Predator 2 future...

marktheando posted:

Duh, didn't you see the robots?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Its Miller Time posted:

Can anyone recommend a good resource for the accounting/economics/finance of the movie industry? Going through perhaps the difference between studios, distributors, indies and majors, the individual line items such as P&A, and the typical length of windows such as paid and free tv.

http://boxofficemojo.com/ Might have a little of what you're looking for.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

marktheando posted:

You know, I only partially saw Cobra on like TBS here and there, and I always assumed there was some kind of giant exposition scene about the axe gang and what their whole business was and why they were how they were, etc. Of course the scenes of sweaty dudes clanging axes together couldn't be the extent of it... Except... Welp...

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

Maxwell Lord posted:

Also he was trying to make A.I. in that period, and kinda got sidetracked with this one idea to actually have the main character be some kind of animatronic puppet thing, but the tests were just horrible.

Does the DVD/Bluray have footage of this? I'd love to see tests of it.

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004
I just caught Training Day on IFC today and thought about a question that I always had about the story and was wondering what your guys take on it was. Is Alonzo planniing to use Hoyt as a fall guy from the beginning? Or is he genuinely trying to see if he can recruit him to the team before realizing that Hoyt is a boyscout and there is no way he is going to be able to flip him? I think the answer is possibly the second due to the fact that it is after Alonso shoots the drug dealer Roger when Hoyt refuses. Hoyt also turns down the 250k in cash from the floor safe and it ois at thatthe point we can hear Alonzo on his cellphone calling the Mexican gang members and telling them "make sure the tub is clean". The tub being the same one that Hoyt is almost killed in during one of the following scenes. So there you have it, this question has always driven me nuts and I would love someone elses opinion on it. I NEED someone elses opinion on it as it further shapes Denzel Washington's character.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Wizard of Wang posted:

I just caught Training Day on IFC today and thought about a question that I always had about the story and was wondering what your guys take on it was. Is Alonzo planniing to use Hoyt as a fall guy from the beginning? Or is he genuinely trying to see if he can recruit him to the team before realizing that Hoyt is a boyscout and there is no way he is going to be able to flip him? I think the answer is possibly the second due to the fact that it is after Alonso shoots the drug dealer Roger when Hoyt refuses. Hoyt also turns down the 250k in cash from the floor safe and it ois at thatthe point we can hear Alonzo on his cellphone calling the Mexican gang members and telling them "make sure the tub is clean". The tub being the same one that Hoyt is almost killed in during one of the following scenes. So there you have it, this question has always driven me nuts and I would love someone elses opinion on it. I NEED someone elses opinion on it as it further shapes Denzel Washington's character.

I swear this question was just asked.

e: yep go back to page 169.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The answer is said by Alonzo: "This poo poo is chess, it ain't checkers." He has more than one play in motion.

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The answer is said by Alonzo: "This poo poo is chess, it ain't checkers." He has more than one play in motion.

Woah kinda crazy it was that soon ago. Thanks.

Wizard of Wang
Aug 8, 2004
Can someone explain to me the meaning and significance of Tommy Lee Jones dream at the end of No Country for Old Men? I have my own interpretation but trying to see if someone has one that differs.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

Wizard of Wang posted:

Can someone explain to me the meaning and significance of Tommy Lee Jones dream at the end of No Country for Old Men? I have my own interpretation but trying to see if someone has one that differs.

There really isn't one true meaning and significance of the dreams at the end of No Country for Old Men. That's kinda part of it's appeal.

You'll find several different and interesting views about it in the Coen Brothers thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472864

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

I read a review that said the end was unexpected and poignant (I guess that's the spoiler I'm worried about exposing to anyone who might care to see the movie). Based on those two words and the depth of hollywood's creative bankruptcy, I assume that the end of the movie is that Will Smith dies in the past and it makes Tommy Lee Jones treat him like an rear end in a top hat when they meet in the first movie--or dying Will Smith makes young Tommy Lee Jones swear to treat him like an rear end in a top hat when they meet in the future or something like that. I don't know if I'm proud of myself for guessing that or what, but I kind of want to know if it's true.

In case you don't want to read a plot synopsis, no, it's not true.

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I've never seen Cobra, but after reading the last few posts in this thread it's movie #1 in my "movies I want to watch" list.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

The Human Cow posted:

I've never seen Cobra, but after reading the last few posts in this thread it's movie #1 in my "movies I want to watch" list.
If you enjoy a good 80's cop who gets results action movie, you're going to have a great time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The Leck posted:

If you enjoy a good 80's cop who gets results action movie, you're going to have a great time.

Also a woman modelling with robots.