Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Dre2Dee2 posted:

They tried this actually with the Built To Rule line actually

it was an abomination to GOD. Seriously... it's shocking how bad they were. Absolute TRASH. I think doing it as a LEGO Creator kinda sets is the closest we'll get :ohdear:
No kidding.

The best official fake-Lego Transformer is probably this Japan-exclusive "Diablock" Optimus Prime

Apparently Diablock are the people who make Nanoblocks, in Japan I guess they have a wider product line and make some more Lego-sized blocks, though those proportions look different. Maybe it's just the tall studs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

youareoffthehook posted:

By the way, we got more in stock. There were still a ton there when I got off work about an hour ago.

Boom, headshot. Thanks a million!

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Boom, headshot. Thanks a million!

Yeah, no problem! Glad we still had it for ya :)

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Guzwar posted:

I just built the Mill Village Raid a few days ago, and really regret not getting more Kingdoms/Castle sets. Shame that they're getting rid of them to make room for the LotR sets -- I think you could easily have both on the market at the same time, with Kingdoms acting as unofficial supplements. Yeah, the Hobbits totally stole that farmer's food. That blacksmith there, he's just making armour for the defense of the White City.

I picked up last years Kingdom's advent calendar (yay!) and the small Blacksmith set in Belgium over Christmas. For some reason Kingdom's stuff is really hard to find in the UK, especially at retail. It's also crazy, crazy expensive.

I would have liked to get more but serious £35 for this (http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7188-1) with little or no discount to be found is absolute ludicrous. I'm expecting the LOTR stuff to be expensive, but hopefully it will be discounted from time to time and there will be more availability at retail to include it in sales and stuff.

Although having typed all that I just saw a lot of Kingdoms stuff is 20% off at the LEGO online store at the moment. Still overpriced for the most part.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 30, 2011

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

youareoffthehook posted:

Yeah, no problem! Glad we still had it for ya :)

You didn't tell me you had the Kingdoms Joust in, though, you bastard, I almost spent part of the mortgage payment! :)

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Gravy Jones posted:

I picked up last years Kingdom's advent calendar (yay!) and the small Blacksmith set in Belgium over Christmas. For some reason Kingdom's stuff is really hard to find in the UK, especially at retail. It's also crazy, crazy expensive.

I would have liked to get more but serious £35 for this (http://brickset.com/detail/?Set=7188-1) with little or no discount to be found is absolute ludicrous. I'm expecting the LOTR stuff to be expensive, but hopefully it will be discounted from time to time and there will be more availability at retail to include it in sales and stuff.

Although having typed all that I just saw a lot of Kingdoms stuff is 20% off at the LEGO online store at the moment. Still overpriced for the most part.

I'm pretty sure it isn't just in the UK. I've only seen one Kingdoms set in the past few weeks, and it looked like it was just some old inventory. I even asked someone at the Lego Store, and he said he didn't know about any cancellation, figuring that his store was just sold out of all of the sets. And then he tried to pitch me on Joust.

So have they actually just ended Kingdoms already without telling anyone, or have they just not produced any in a while, and might do another run or two before LotR?

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

SinetheGuy posted:

So have they actually just ended Kingdoms already without telling anyone, or have they just not produced any in a while, and might do another run or two before LotR?

They have taken it off S&H for north america so I am assuming what stock stores have is all that is left. Pirates fell to the licence of POTC and now Castle/Kingdoms has fallen to LOTR. Boo :(

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

Why cookie Rocket posted:

You didn't tell me you had the Kingdoms Joust in, though, you bastard, I almost spent part of the mortgage payment! :)

Sorry! At least the fun house was there :)

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

youareoffthehook posted:

Sorry! At least the fun house was there :)

Do you have the Mini Modulars in too? I didn't expect the Joust until later.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

Pyroclastic posted:

Do you have the Mini Modulars in too? I didn't expect the Joust until later.

I went in about an hour ago to get my paycheck and fill up my holiday pick a brick box, haven't gotten any mini modulars yet. I know we are getting friends on Sunday, so maybe we'll get those too.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
You guys might want to check your local targets, they have various Lego sets marked 50% off. I picked up 2 Atlantis 8080 sets for $21 a piece and a Alien Conquest walker for $15. They also had series 5 marked down to $2.54 each.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Merchant of Death posted:

They have taken it off S&H for north america so I am assuming what stock stores have is all that is left. Pirates fell to the licence of POTC and now Castle/Kingdoms has fallen to LOTR. Boo :(

Not to mention the proper space sets have long since been scarce due to Star Wars...

Let's remember one of the best lego sets EVER:

#928 a.k.a. Galaxy Explorer, year 1979.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

ivantod posted:

Not to mention the proper space sets have long since been scarce due to Star Wars...

Let's remember one of the best lego sets EVER:

#928 a.k.a. Galaxy Explorer, year 1979.

I'll always have a soft spot for the Alien Moon Stalker:

And these little guys:

Surface Rover

Astro Dasher

Glass Joe fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 30, 2011

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I still think this is the most badass lego ever produced.

The swooshability of this thing is crazy and there's so much little poo poo inside that you can fiddle with. :swoon:

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank
I was always partial to the first blacktron sets... specifically this one

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemPic.asp?S=6954-1

the great thing about this, is that all of the front sections could detach and be swapped around, or used to make other ships easily.

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

We can't stop here! This is bat country!

VaultAggie posted:

I still think this is the most badass lego ever produced.

The swooshability of this thing is crazy and there's so much little poo poo inside that you can fiddle with. :swoon:

Man, I wanted that bad when I was younger. My dark ages began shortly after. :(
I've been talking myself out of picking up a Battrax for nostalgia sake.

After looking through some of those older space sets I realized that I really miss those klaxon pieces.

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Fozzie Bear posted:

the great thing about this, is that all of the front sections could detach and be swapped around, or used to make other ships easily.

Yep! I had the Blacktron Renegade and adored it. Every once in a while I look for it on eBay then get sad at how high the auctions end at. One day...

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Two of my favorite older space lego sets:

Starhawk II:

Allied Avenger:

Very "whoosh"able and just a lot of amazing pieces for building some sweet spaceship MOCs. :3:

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Fozzie Bear posted:

Totally forgot about that one, it's probably one of the more badass things in classic Lego space! I actually have it, got it on eBay a few years back but can't remember if it was expensive or not. Actually scratch that, found the old email, it was $120 including shipping. The original price in 1987 was $30, so... yeah. I can only imagine that now it would be even more expensive to get.

It's a seriously cool set in what was one of cooler themes of Lego space (Blacktron), and one of the few (only?) non-symmetrical ships they produced:

In case you were wondering, yes the little vehicle can be stored inside the ship.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

Spyrius Saucer Scout (6835)

This was always one of my favorites as a kid, but I remember it being larger. Granted I also remember it actually flying and the gun on top shooting real lasers.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Serious Michael posted:

This was always one of my favorites as a kid, but I remember it being larger. Granted I also remember it actually flying and the gun on top shooting real lasers.

Same here. It's one of my earliest sets I can remember.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.

Taeke posted:

Same here. It's one of my earliest sets I can remember.

For some reason it's the longest lasting set I had too. He stayed in the war long enough to fight storm troopers AND battle droids, same ship, too. God he was a loving hero. I wish I could give him a tiny plastic medal for his services to our world.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
I keep a couple of my favorite MOCs out, but the only official set I still have assembled is the Renegade. Thanks to careful planning of individual bricklink orders and a tub of old bricks I found, I managed to build mine for about forty bucks. I even replaced those panels on the container with the ones from the Invader for extra style points.

Edit: Actually, I'm pretty sure I have a pair of those Saucer Scouts fully assembled too... but inside a box in the closet. That was also a pretty sweet little set.

John Carstairs fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 31, 2011

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ivantod posted:

The gently caress you talking about. Space Police III was released within the last two years and has some really great sets,
not the least of which is one of The Greatest Sets Of All Time, the Lunar Limo.

As for classic space sets, none can compare to the one, the only, Mega Core Magnetizer from M:Tron.
I like it so much, I have the front of the box on my wall as a poster.
Even my girlfriend doesn't mind it, and she usually hates toy stuff.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 31, 2011

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

The gently caress you talking about. Space Police III was released within the last two years and has some really great sets,

This is the set that got me back into lego. Looks even better in person and its surprisingly huge.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Serious Michael posted:

Yeaaaaah, I had this. It was awesome.

The giant robot Spyrius set was also loving awesome :c00l:

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

I had two Spyrius Scouts, the Spyrius saucer thing, and the larger of the two Spyrius robots. The saucer has been rebuilt, and I'm thinking about getting the robot back into action just because he's so loving badass. Spyrius really was my favorite theme that I got into.

God drat Space is my favorite.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Captain Invictus posted:

Goddamn I love the Lunar Limo. I'm like, almost kind of tempted to glue mine together because I'm never going to want to take it apart.

But you don't glue Legos together. You just don't.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

thebardyspoon posted:

Anyone got any of the superhero stuff yet? I'm kind of interested in one of the cheaper sets like the Luthor Power Armour set or maybe the Carnival set with the Joker, Quinn and Riddler (that's 40 quid but looks fairly substantial).

I got my son the Luthor power armor set and the Batman/ Catwoman street corner set and he loves them both. Can't go wrong with Superman, Wonder Woman and a Luthor mini fig. The power armor is well designed an I'm impressed by the multiple poses of the armor it's self.

Also on that note my son raked in the sets this Christmas with a total of 20 sets that I had collected over the course of June to November when they went on clearance at my retail store. Most of them was the Atlantis sets and he was happy with them all. I can live my collecting through him now! I still really want a Black Pearl just for myself.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
The greatest space set ever

I never had the cool Deep Freeze Defender or theMega Core Magnetizer, but getting this made me forget about everything else.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Veeb0rg posted:

You guys might want to check your local targets, they have various Lego sets marked 50% off. I picked up 2 Atlantis 8080 sets for $21 a piece and a Alien Conquest walker for $15. They also had series 5 marked down to $2.54 each.

$64 Hogwarts. Hell yeah.

ivantod
Mar 27, 2010

Mahalo, fuckers.

Captain Invictus posted:

Yes, Space Police III and... what else?

I said the 'normal' space sets are scarce, not nonexistent. Back in the day before Star Wars you had multiple themes going together at the same time, e.g. the Blacktron that we mentioned were supposed to be the 'baddies' that battled against the original Space Police, and not to mention later stuff like Ice Planet, Exploriens and everything else. Although I must say that the Classic Space sets from late 70s and early 80s are my favourite as they really ended up with a 'complete' set of vehicles and buildings that you would expect to exist for space exploration purpose. You can check them out here: http://guide.lugnet.com/set/?qc=lego/system/space/classic.

Here is another classic space set that is a favourite of mine:

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

What's good, motherfuckers?

I'm the spyrius robot and I am the best.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Sockser posted:

What's good, motherfuckers?

I'm the spyrius robot and I am the best.

Even the name for that thing is badass. Spyrius Titan Monster Robot. :black101:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
God, the Spyrius base was such a piece of poo poo.

ivantod posted:

Yes, Space Police III and... what else?

I said the 'normal' space sets are scarce, not nonexistent. Back in the day before Star Wars you had multiple themes going together at the same time, e.g. the Blacktron that we mentioned were supposed to be the 'baddies' that battled against the original Space Police, and not to mention later stuff like Ice Planet, Exploriens and everything else.
Lego has become a much safer company in recent years, tending to not go overboard and keeping each line relatively small. I won't deny Star Wars probably had an effect on the decline of Space, but Lego's overall business plan probably has affected how the line would be put out as well. I doubt there would be more than two of each faction's sets put out today if they were to bring the gang back together. Even Ninjago, which has like a blajillion sets, only has one or two focusing on any given "faction" at a time. There's like, two that are blue snake clan people, two that are green snake clan people, three that are red snake clan people, maybe one or two for white snake clan people? That's probably how Space would be in this day and age.

Although Lego has said they won't ever remake M:Tron because magnets are evil/powered by Hitler/kill babies or some poo poo.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
UK Goons I've seen 8060 Typhoon Turbo Sub in both B&M and Home Bargains toy sections for just £9.99

edit: Sorry it was B&M not Wilkinsons as I previously stated.

beato fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Dec 31, 2011

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Captain Invictus posted:

God, the Spyrius base was such a piece of poo poo.

I have that set! And yes, it is. :(

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Although Lego has said they won't ever remake M:Tron because magnets are evil/powered by Hitler/kill babies or some poo poo.

I believe that had more to do with unobserved adults, children, and pets than anything else.

Dr. Benway fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 31, 2011

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
So I stuck a series 1 zombie head on a cup and I got the Chalice of Kali from Temple.

Time to try and make the vignette.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Benway
Dec 9, 2005

Kali Mah! Kali Mah! Kali Mah! ...