Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Wagonburner posted:

Baahhh! I just found something yesterday called headset blocker that would have helped me all along on sense and stopped this behavior.

It actually would help on CM too but headset blocker also makes the CM long-press volume track change and lockscreen music widget not work. And I've grown to love those things lots in the past week.

That used to happen to me all the time on my Cliq XT before I rooted it to run CM7. I completely forgot about that bug since I haven't gotten it since rooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Tots posted:

E2: Holy poo poo balls. I haven't rebooted my phone since I installed CM7 like 2 days ago, so I went into the power menu and there is a MOFUCKIN SCREEN SHOT BUTTON THERE. *and it works*

I've learned two things today: 1. I am retarded. 2. CM7 is cooler than cool.

MIUI takes screenshots by pressing Menu + Vol Down. ~so fly~

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

A quick question about apps2sd on CM7. I formatted my SD card in clockworkd recovery, then partitioned it with 1024 and 0 swap. Now, when I am in my phone under Storage SD card, its showing 2.7gb free. How do I make the phone use the 1gig partition? I just googled a bit, is this still valid?

The new ROM Manager now support SD card partitioning. You will also need to flash one of bekit's V0.8 kernels.

Installation process:

Start up ROM Manager.
Flash the newest recovery if there is an update..
# =====The next couple steps will not be necessary soon.=====
Make sure you have Developer mode on.
Go to the CyanogenMod download section.
Install one of bekit's V0.8 kernel. Choose "Stock" if you are unsure which to pick.
After the phone reboots, start up ROM Manager again.
#=====end of soon to be removed steps.=====
Choose Partition SD card.
Choose your ext and swap size (or choose the defaults if you are unsure).
Continue installation.

After the phone reboots, go into Settings -> Applications.
Enable Apps2SD.

Lastinline: do I need your script for apps? I don't get what advantage I have. My usual method is to install apps until internal fills up then use the SD card.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 23, 2011

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Mark Larson posted:

MIUI takes screenshots by pressing Menu + Vol Down. ~so fly~

How did I never know about this before.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Is is possible that CM7 made my N1 worse at Voice Actions? It sure seems to suck more. Now it seems to search the web when I say "call Joe Smith mobile" instead of actually dialing it a lot more than before I moved to CM7 from stock...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kri kri posted:

Lastinline: do I need your script for apps? I don't get what advantage I have. My usual method is to install apps until internal fills up then use the SD card.
CM7 has no support for a2sd so you either need a script to flash in recovery in order to use your partition or an app that does the same thing. Fortunately there are both.

Easiest for you (but something I have no experience with) is an app called Simple2EXT. From my understanding you just install the app and within it there are options to move the applications and Dalvik to the EXT partition. (Unless you have a fast card you don't want data moved there.) This is CM7 only.

The script I mentioned in my post does the same thing but it's ROM-agnostic.

A couple notes:
  • You don't need a different kernel, no idea that what guide is saying
  • You'll need to set all your apps to Internal in CM7 and disable application moving. Settings > CM Settings > Application, uncheck the first option and change Install location to internal.
  • Once you have a2sd set up and running, Settings > Applications will report the wrong size when it shows your free space. You have to use the s2e app if you used that method or a2sd GUI if you used the script.

Does that make sense?

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 23, 2011

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Can't you also use a different partitioning table on low-storage phones like the Desire and Nexus One that takes out unused space in system and cache and lets you use it for apps?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

trandorian posted:

Can't you also use a different partitioning table on low-storage phones like the Desire and Nexus One that takes out unused space in system and cache and lets you use it for apps?
That's not a good idea either since I'm also out of space when it comes to flashing CM7. In fact, it's so close that I had to make a custom ZIP to flash that removes stuff from CM before I flash GApps and the a2sd because the a2sd script doesn't check to see if it has enough space to do what it needs to prior to running and will gently caress everything up.

I just remove wallpapers, live wallpapers, ROM Manager, Email, and a few other apps I'm not remembering. Gets me an additional 20MB of space in /system and gives a little peace of mind.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

LastInLine posted:

CM7 has no support for a2sd so you either need a script to flash in recovery in order to use your partition or an app that does the same thing. Fortunately there are both.

Easiest for you (but something I have no experience with) is an app called Simple2EXT. From my understanding you just install the app and within it there are options to move the applications and Dalvik to the EXT partition. (Unless you have a fast card you don't want data moved there.) This is CM7 only.

The script I mentioned in my post does the same thing but it's ROM-agnostic.

A couple notes:
  • You don't need a different kernel, no idea that what guide is saying
  • You'll need to set all your apps to Internal in CM7 and disable application moving. Settings > CM Settings > Application, uncheck the first option and change Install location to internal.
  • Once you have a2sd set up and running, Settings > Applications will report the wrong size when it shows your free space. You have to use the s2e app if you used that method or a2sd GUI if you used the script.

Does that make sense?
Yes. I don't know why it is so loving confusing but that helps. I thought CM7 would put the app on my ext3 partition.

Is this why my Applications is reporting my other partition? Because CM7 is using froyo apps2sd or whatever?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kri kri posted:

Yes. I don't know why it is so loving confusing but that helps. I thought CM7 would put the app on my ext3 partition.

Is this why my Applications is reporting my other partition? Because CM7 is using froyo apps2sd or whatever?
Actually yes, I forgot it does that. You're in the SD tab. All that number is is the amount of space on your FAT partition.

After you get a2sd set up and everything moved to internal you're never going to need to go into Settings > Applications. You'll instead either use a2sdGUI or Simple2EXT as both will show you correct statistics for your EXT partition, internal storage, and all your settings.

What method are you going with? dt-a2sd or s2e?

Gain 20 Pounds
Nov 11, 2007

Is there a good reason why installing CM7 on my Captivate switches my internal SD to external and vice versa? It's really annoying and it really screwed me up trying to install this last time. It didn't used to do that when I installed nightly 92, but 127 sure did.

(I have plenty of app space so Apps2SD is meaningless to me!)

-edit- Looks like it didn't do it permanently this time. Just for CWM. Wierd.

Gain 20 Pounds fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 24, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gain 20 Pounds posted:

Is there a good reason why installing CM7 on my Captivate switches my internal SD to external and vice versa? It's really annoying and it really screwed me up trying to install this last time. It didn't used to do that when I installed nightly 92, but 127 sure did.

(I have plenty of app space so Apps2SD is meaningless to me!)

-edit- Looks like it didn't do it permanently this time. Just for CWM. Wierd.
Could be that CM switches the mount points. I know it did on the G2x.

Gain 20 Pounds
Nov 11, 2007

Oh cool, after logging into my google stuff, reinstalling all my apps with TiBu, and setting up stuff how I like it, I rebooted, and now everything I just did got wiped and CM7 thinks it's on a fresh install. Man I love this Cyan-O-Gen Modification.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

What are the best settings for SetCPU on a Nexus S?

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Depends on what you're trying to do. Usually I bump my G2 up to 1ghz interactive and a screen off profile for 800mhz max conservative. Keep in mind mhz speed switching with SetCPU actually isn't fast enough and causes issues when running Sense 3 roms. This is part of the reason why the Virtuous Rom team created the Virtuous OC Daemon. However not all roms include this utility.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Actually yes, I forgot it does that. You're in the SD tab. All that number is is the amount of space on your FAT partition.

After you get a2sd set up and everything moved to internal you're never going to need to go into Settings > Applications. You'll instead either use a2sdGUI or Simple2EXT as both will show you correct statistics for your EXT partition, internal storage, and all your settings.

What method are you going with? dt-a2sd or s2e?

I am using s2e. That along with his freespace app its working good I guess? I can't tell if it is working though, when I install something from the market does s2e auto-move it to my ext3 partition?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

kri kri posted:

I am using s2e. That along with his freespace app its working good I guess? I can't tell if it is working though, when I install something from the market does s2e auto-move it to my ext3 partition?

As long as you have Application moving disabled and Install to internal selected in Settings > CM Settings > Applications then new apps will go to the EXT partition.

Does the s2e app have something that shows that apps are on EXT and Dalvik is too? The a2sd GUI app just shows where things are with an option to switch things, I assumed s2e would do something similar.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Coming to a CM7 handset near you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnQzT9QyJFQ

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I really hope that new lockscreen is in tonight's build.

e: doesn't look like it, but there appears to be a calendar widget for the lockscreen.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Sep 25, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Coming to a CM7 handset near you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnQzT9QyJFQ

I've seen that in the gerrit for a while. I don't have the need, but the fiancée can't wait. It's about time CM did some work on the lockscreen but honestly I just wish they'd fox some of the outstanding bugs.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

I've seen that in the gerrit for a while. I don't have the need, but the fiancée can't wait. It's about time CM did some work on the lockscreen but honestly I just wish they'd fox some of the outstanding bugs.

After flying with Sense 3 and also WidgetLocker's constant let downs I'm really looking forward to it. As for bugs, what are you referring too? I don't even have the privilege of using an actual nightly and I'm seeing rock solid performance in the Sensation alpha's.

Edit: Even pre Sensation the only CM bug I ever had was a mic issue but it was N1 specific and short lived.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

https://www.facebook.com/questions/217517851641131/?qa_ref=ssp

6000 or so isn't an insanely huge number of votes (and obviously excludes anything MIUI is already on), but I do find it interesting that out of the Top 12 phones Samsung make 8 of the most requested for the next official port of MIUI. The number 1 being the SGS2 is a good thing at the moment because the developer of the better MIUI port (bmarko) for that phone stepped down from developing it today.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Maker Of Shoes posted:

After flying with Sense 3 and also WidgetLocker's constant let downs I'm really looking forward to it. As for bugs, what are you referring too? I don't even have the privilege of using an actual nightly and I'm seeing rock solid performance in the Sensation alpha's.

Edit: Even pre Sensation the only CM bug I ever had was a mic issue but it was N1 specific and short lived.
Disable lockscreen hasn't worked ever in CM7, Bluetooth is currently broken on the N1, and on the Nexus S the random reboots and kernel panics are pretty annoying. CM6 was far more stable for me than CM7 has ever been.

Rohaq
Aug 11, 2006
I loved MIUI on my Desire, except it always seemed to get a bit sluggish after a while. Now I'm thinking of switching from Revolution to MIUI on my Galaxy S2 and see if the extra hardware beef will help. Is there anything I should know going in?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

LastInLine posted:

Disable lockscreen hasn't worked ever in CM7

Uh yeah it most certainly used to on my Nook Color.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

LastInLine posted:

Disable lockscreen hasn't worked ever in CM7

Just tried it. Seems to be working fine. :shobon:

Codiusprime
Mar 17, 2006
Yea I've been a using that option on my Nook Color for months.

Also unrelated to the thread or discussion, I had a dream last night that my Nook Color got obliterated. I was pretty happy to wake up and find it sitting in one piece on my nightstand.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Rohaq posted:

I loved MIUI on my Desire, except it always seemed to get a bit sluggish after a while. Now I'm thinking of switching from Revolution to MIUI on my Galaxy S2 and see if the extra hardware beef will help. Is there anything I should know going in?

If you are using the last bmarko one, the only thing I can think of is that you need to enable data (its just a toggle) every time you need to reboot the phone (was a bug fixed this week but he has since quit development). Theres a custom kernel that supports SetCPU on the miuiandroid.com forum that works fine too. Apart from that nearly everything works pretty well as far as I can tell. The one that galnet releases seems to run a bit hot for me and angelom releases an italian version with english language support that people seem to be migrating to but I haven't checked out yet. There isn't really any idea on which one is going to be the winner out of those two or whether people are just going to wait since it looks like the SGS2 will be the next phone officially supported by the MIUI guys.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

Uh yeah it most certainly used to on my Nook Color.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Just tried it. Seems to be working fine. :shobon:
From the notification power widget it will work fine at first but over the next day or so it will stop. Eventually it will get stuck in whatever mode you have it. If it gets stuck off you can get it back on by turning on a security lockscreen and then turning it off. If it gets stuck on you can't fix it without a reboot. The Tablet Tweaks "Disable lockscreen" works fine, but you can't do that from the notification power widget. I've been using the Tablet Tweak workaround, but I wish they'd just fix the widget.

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
New CM7 for Evo 3D out: bluetooth (except car mode) and touchscreen issues are fixed.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1258541

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Leathal posted:

New CM7 for Evo 3D out: bluetooth (except car mode) and touchscreen issues are fixed.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1258541

New ring unlock is in too. It's awesome. I can confirm the touchscreen issues are fixed, finally. :)

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
I started unlocking my HTC Sensation through the official HTC method, then found out on the last step that it wipes all user data.

Any tips for minimizing the amount of re-setup work without using Titanium Backup? (Or a temproot method that will work on the updated Sensation would do as well)

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
CM Alpha 7 for the Sensation dropped. It includes the new lock screen. Yes, it's loving awesome.

http://rootzwiki.com/showthread.php?5125-Sensation-CM7-SelfKang-Alphafied-7

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I don't know how many of you are on CM7 for the Nexus S, but in preparation for RC2 a lot of work has gone into the kernel in an attempt to stop the backlight off bootloops that are easily the worst part of CM7 on the Nexus S. I haven't had a chance to test it out myself but the retards on xda are reporting an improvement.

The good news is that now the kernel supports backlight notifications out of the box but if you want Voodoo you're still going to need a custom kernel. Fortunately one exists that is the stock CM kernel plus Voodoo sound/color but at this moment it doesn't contain all of last night's commits (there have been a bunch more Crespo kernel commits so it might be worth waiting).

Also nightly 205 has a broken camera that will be fixed in 206 plus 206 contains the new Rings lockscreen/phone answer style so it behooves you to wait.

Lastly I've read though don't know for sure that the BLN support in the kernel might cause a kernel panic on a notification. Best way to check would be to send yourself a text message, turn off the screen, and see what happens. I haven't seen a rash of posts mentioning it but it's something to keep an eye out for.

Slashkun
Sep 19, 2011
I have a galaxy s2, is it generally worth bothering to put cyanogen mod on to it? What kinda features would i get that are not as default on it?

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~

dissss posted:

What radio do you have now?

I *think* you need to match the radio and SPL, you don't want to use the older SPL with the newer radio

Ah, you're probably right. I've only got one ROM to actually boot, and it runs like crap. What radio should I install if my SPL is the .2005 one?

Edit: I'm thinking maybe following this? Radio + SPL. It says it's for the Magic, though.

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Sep 26, 2011

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Slashkun posted:

I have a galaxy s2, is it generally worth bothering to put cyanogen mod on to it? What kinda features would i get that are not as default on it?

They have a video tour thing on the https://www.cyanogenmod.com but I've never got it to actually go anywhere. The features list on the homepage I don't think even mentions a few of the coolest things I've discovered after 1.5 weeks of use. There are some good walkthroughs on youtube from just normal users.

A few maybe small but favorite features for me:

long press volume control to change music track back/fwd. I use subsonic for music, it has no lockscreen widget so previously if I wanted to change tracks I had to click power, slide to unlock the screen open subsonic if it wasnt foregound, get to the player portion of subsonic if it wasn't foreground, click track next

Permissions revocation. You can take away any special permission an app has. gps/internet/display notifications etc. I've only messed with the network, taken it away from all my games, no problems so far. (no ads either)

Lockscreen gestures. instead of unlocking with the slider I can draw a y to start youtube or a d for documents w for web browser. (You have to set these up yourself)

This one's stupid but the crt-off animation when you click the screen off. It's just so cool, and even better on your amoled screen.

If you haven't used plain vanilla android before be aware that some things like the dialer, contacts, messaging, alarm clock, calendar even popup dialogs (like ones asking you what app to open something with) etc are kinda plain and ugly compared to what htc did on my phone and probably samsung on yours.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 26, 2011

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

yamdankee posted:

Ah, you're probably right. I've only got one ROM to actually boot, and it runs like crap. What radio should I install if my SPL is the .2005 one?

Edit: I'm thinking maybe following this? Radio + SPL. It says it's for the Magic, though.
At this point it can't hurt.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I use CM7 on my Inspire, and I freaking love it. With GoLauncher EX and CM7 it's like having a new phone. I liked Sense, but the widgets on GoLauncher and CM7's stability are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Wouldn't surprise me if everyone here already knows this CM7 trick, but I just discovered it myself and figured I'd share.

Turn Auto Brightness off. Go to CM Settings -> Interface -> Status Bar Tweaks and turn on Status Bar Brightness Control.

Basically it lets you slide your finger across the status bar at the top of the screen to magically adjust the screen brightness. Pretty loving slick.

Also the latest CM alpha for the Evo 3D seems to be a hell of a lot less buggy. No 4G yet or any 3D stuff, but that's hopefully coming soon and this build seems to be daily driver worthy so far. Skype has problems with the front facing camera, which is almost a deal killer for me, but overall gently caress yeah CM.