Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Pocket Billiards posted:

Who considers them 'cheap'?

It can be annoying and counterproductive when people don't have them set up properly and just try to yank on your lapels until their arms fall off, but setup and used properly they're no more cheap than any other gi specific technique.

The guy a few posts up, TrollTheThingy. Certainly not me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Uhh I'm pretty sure suplexing someone on their head/neck was already very illegal in IBJJF, unless they're saying you can't suplex yourself on your head/neck

I think this is exactly what it is. In judo you can't do any technique that make you fall on your head because people hurt themselves.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

I think this is exactly what it is. In judo you can't do any technique that make you fall on your head because people hurt themselves.

You can't dive directly onto your head when attempting a throw. Suplexes or anything else going backwards are fine.

In regards to the head diving rule, I once won a match by default when a guy did a head dive and tore some ligaments in his neck. He tried an uchimata, I hipped in and stopped him, he tried to dive down to give him an extra push and hurt himself. It is freaky when a guy is screaming in pain, immobilized and carried out to an ambulance in a stretcher. I saw him at another tournament a couple weeks later in a neck brace, which is how I found out what the injury ended up being.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

You can't dive directly onto your head when attempting a throw. Suplexes or anything else going backwards are fine.

In regards to the head diving rule, I once won a match by default when a guy did a head dive and tore some ligaments in his neck. He tried an uchimata, I hipped in and stopped him, he tried to dive down to give him an extra push and hurt himself. It is freaky when a guy is screaming in pain, immobilized and carried out to an ambulance in a stretcher. I saw him at another tournament a couple weeks later in a neck brace, which is how I found out what the injury ended up being.

Thanks for the precision, I thought it was banned without regards to direction. So you can supplex backward to your own head like you're doing a "bridge"?

One of my buddy lost a match the exact same way your opponent did except he didn't injure himself. Uchi mata seems to be one of the moves where it happens "often"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

Thanks for the precision, I thought it was banned without regards to direction. So you can supplex backward to your own head like you're doing a "bridge"?

You can't bridge to avoid getting scored on, but you can definitely suplex. With the rules of Judo there's no incentive to bridge during a suplex vs landing on your shoulders, the incentive is to twist to the side and land your opponent flat on his shoulders/back while you land to the side. But there are other sacrifice throws, like Tawara Gaeshi, where you would be more likely to land in a bridge position and they have always been legal.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Speaking of suplexes. I dunno if this is an April Fools thing or not, but these new wrestling shoes that Nike just tweeted out kind of own.

Mardragon
Mar 4, 2004
Cinderella boy... Out of nowhere...
Yam Slacker
Ugh, if only I didn't wear only Adidas wrestling shoes. Those look awesome.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

You can't bridge to avoid getting scored on, but you can definitely suplex. With the rules of Judo there's no incentive to bridge during a suplex vs landing on your shoulders, the incentive is to twist to the side and land your opponent flat on his shoulders/back while you land to the side. But there are other sacrifice throws, like Tawara Gaeshi, where you would be more likely to land in a bridge position and they have always been legal.

Cool thanks. I would have thought that even in something like a tawara gaeshi you would not be allowed to bridge straight to your head. Not that this move is really useful with the new rules anyway, but still good to know.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

Cool thanks. I would have thought that even in something like a tawara gaeshi you would not be allowed to bridge straight to your head. Not that this move is really useful with the new rules anyway, but still good to know.

All references to bridging in the IJF rulebook talk about the Uke, saying that any bridge, or attempt to bridge, to avoid being scored upon should result in an Ippon being awarded to Tori. Which is a rule I'm fine with - it is purely a safety thing and anyone doing it has already been thrown and is just trying to use a technicality to avoid a score. There's nothing in the rules about Tori bridging during a throw.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Thoguh posted:

All references to bridging in the IJF rulebook talk about the Uke, saying that any bridge, or attempt to bridge, to avoid being scored upon should result in an Ippon being awarded to Tori. Which is a rule I'm fine with - it is purely a safety thing and anyone doing it has already been thrown and is just trying to use a technicality to avoid a score. There's nothing in the rules about Tori bridging during a throw.

I know the rules regarding the uke bridging and they 200% make sense and even if there was no "safety" issue it would still make sense to make it illegal since you've been thrown on you back even if you back does not hit the mat.

I just thought that if as tori you throw someone doing a big enough bridge that your head hits the mat you'd be punished in the same way as you are if you throw yourself on your head doing an uchi mata. I also agree with this rule by the way, but I'm happy if it does not apply to some of the backwards "bear hug" throws.

KingColliwog fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 1, 2015

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

A Wry Smile posted:

Don't just give up on guard retention and resign yourself to playing defense from the bottom of side control. Start by identifying the pass he's using, then figure out how use it to your advantage. Standard guardplay rules apply: Control the hands, control the distance, don't be afraid to post behind you and/or scoot back if he's crowding you, have a plan in mind so you're not just sitting there hoping he'll present you with something, and a backup plan in case he derails your first attack.

That's a great point too. I find when I'm being aggressive I'm starting to try to string stuff together and almost have a sort of plan ( well, only one step forward ), but when I'm on the defensive I end up purely reacting to what the other guy is doing instead of using the same mental process. Thanks for the advice!

RE: Lapel chokes being "cheap" - I'm not referring to lapel chokes in general - that is, any choke involving them, I'm talking specifically the double-hand when you're in my guard lapel choke. If I lock a lapel choke with someone in my guard it just feels unsatisfying to get a tap that way because it "shouldn't" work except to distract/annoy. And it almost never works, I guess I just feel like I should be trying something more...involved - but I suppose that's a dumb attitude. It doesn't matter how I get it, if I can catch someone in anything then that's good - it doesn't have to be complicated.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

KingColliwog posted:

I know the rules regarding the uke bridging and they 200% make sense and even if there was no "safety" issue it would still make sense to make it illegal since you've been thrown on you back even if you back does not hit the mat.

I just thought that if as tori you throw someone doing a big enough bridge that your head hits the mat you'd be punished in the same way as you are if you throw yourself on your head doing an uchi mata. I also agree with this rule by the way, but I'm happy if it does not apply to some of the backwards "bear hug" throws.

The only rules about a Tori going backwards related to safety is the they can't pick somebody up with a Kata Garuma or similar technique and then just fall straight backwards, or entwine a leg from behind and then fall backwards, and both of those are about safety for the Uke, not the Tori.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Odddzy posted:

So, you got DQ'ed?

Yes, and it was bullshit.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Dangersim posted:

A really properly applied lapel choke is a thing of beauty, because it doesn't hurt or really feel all that uncomfortable so you think you're fine, but then suddenly you start to feel fuzzy and everything starts to go black and you realize you need to tap.

I've always thought they were a really underutilised part of the submission game early on and from what I've seen a lot of schools don't start teaching them till you've been a whitebelt for a long while or have got your blue. At my gym the coach used to drill them into the heavier dudes because sometimes it was hard for guys to get triangles on other heavyweights but really easy to get a lapel choke from side or north south, I've seen a couple of our heavy weights run through the early stages of a tournament just by getting to side control off a good double leg and then hunting for the lapels.

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
To me, lapel chokes are like tying a guy's shoes together or pulling his pants down. Might as well pull hair while you're at it.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Stupid, they're as valid as any other method of victory.

Opal
May 10, 2005

some by their splendor rival the colors of the painters, others the flame of burning sulphur or of fire quickened by oil.

Who Gotch Ya posted:

To me, lapel chokes are like tying a guy's shoes together or pulling his pants down. Might as well pull hair while you're at it.

lol

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Who Gotch Ya posted:

You're probably one of the only people who would get choked in a match by having their shoes tied together or their pants pulled down. ITs not the same for 99% of people

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

ICHIBAHN posted:

Stupid, they're as valid as any other method of victory.

this is an awfully thuggish opinion

Who Gotch Ya
Jun 27, 2003

streetdoctors.com
Yes, we are hybrid rappers.
Clothes grabbing is totally thuggish. That's like the first thing all movie/TV thugs do. Grab you by the collar.

Gentlemen destroy the body with the body.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
It's not ballet.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

always be closing posted:

It's not ballet.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

It's not ballet.

of course not. you have to be in shape to do ballet

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

david carmichael posted:

KO victory.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

david carmichael posted:

:drat:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

It's not ballet.

You're right, it's not, there are far less foot, knee and ankle injuries, eating disorders and self-esteem problems.

also

david carmichael posted:

lol

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Thoguh posted:

Mike Pucillo, 3 time All American and 2008 NCAA Champion for Ohio State came out publicly earlier this week. The response has actually been less terrible than I thought it would be when I first read about it.

jon jones got beaten by a gay man. cool

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Thoguh posted:

Mike Pucillo, 3 time All American and 2008 NCAA Champion for Ohio State came out publicly earlier this week. The response has actually been less terrible than I thought it would be when I first read about it.

This is an incredibly sweet article :unsmith:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
AGON V is tonight at 7:30 central, livestream is $4.95 Freestyle rules with former Iowa wrestlers against various other guys. Co-main event is World Team member Brent Metcalf vs teen sensation Aaron Pico, who is forgoeing college wrestling to pursue the Olympics and MMA; and Tony Ramos vs olympic gold Medalist Henry Cejudo, who hasn't wrestled since a loss in the Olympic trials in 2012 but is coming off a UFC win last month. The prelims have a few matches between highly ranked high school wrestlers and the undercard is some less well known, but highly ranked, guys trying to make the Olympic team for 2016.

Direct link to register for the stream

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Thoguh posted:

AGON V is tonight at 7:30 central, livestream is $4.95 Freestyle rules with former Iowa wrestlers against various other guys. Co-main event is World Team member Brent Metcalf vs teen sensation Aaron Pico, who is forgoeing college wrestling to pursue the Olympics and MMA; and Tony Ramos vs olympic gold Medalist Henry Cejudo, who hasn't wrestled since a loss in the Olympic trials in 2012 but is coming off a UFC win last month. The prelims have a few matches between highly ranked high school wrestlers and the undercard is some less well known, but highly ranked, guys trying to make the Olympic team for 2016.

Direct link to register for the stream

I thought AGON had a unique set of rules that's kind of a Collegiate/Freestyle hybrid?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Sprecherscrow posted:

I thought AGON had a unique set of rules that's kind of a Collegiate/Freestyle hybrid?

I think they tried that but settled on using Freestyle, at least for tonight. It definitely isn't a polished production but the matches have been pretty good and the production values aren't terrible. Worth the $5 for the stream at least.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
The portland Sunday open is free on livestream right now -

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/12749398/events/3910445

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice

fatherdog posted:

The portland Sunday open is free on livestream right now -

This is cool. Any idea how close we are to Orchard vs Cummings?

Twister sighted

Decades fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 5, 2015

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Crap, should've checked forums earlier today. Got in just in time to see the last two matches. :smith:

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Bad news is I missed it good news can rewind

Decades fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 5, 2015

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Decades posted:

Bad news is I missed it good new can rewind

Guess maybe I shoulda thought to try that. :downs:

e: poo poo, is there any way to get the video back if you already closed it? Going to the link now I can't figure out a way.

Kekekela fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 5, 2015

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Well now you've got me afraid to close the window and check so don't ask me. The match was cool though.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 2, 2017

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

TollTheHounds posted:

That's a great point too. I find when I'm being aggressive I'm starting to try to string stuff together and almost have a sort of plan ( well, only one step forward ), but when I'm on the defensive I end up purely reacting to what the other guy is doing instead of using the same mental process. Thanks for the advice!

RE: Lapel chokes being "cheap" - I'm not referring to lapel chokes in general - that is, any choke involving them, I'm talking specifically the double-hand when you're in my guard lapel choke. If I lock a lapel choke with someone in my guard it just feels unsatisfying to get a tap that way because it "shouldn't" work except to distract/annoy. And it almost never works, I guess I just feel like I should be trying something more...involved - but I suppose that's a dumb attitude. It doesn't matter how I get it, if I can catch someone in anything then that's good - it doesn't have to be complicated.

So we both weighed ourselves and I'm still 205 - he's 250. He has 45lbs on me not 30. Also, he started BJJ the same time as me but had 2 years previous experience wrestling.

I shouldn't use that as an excuse but I feel SO MUCH BETTER now that I struggle to stay alive against this dude.

The upshot is that by being more "busy" trying stuff it was less immensely in his favour - excepting when he'd just take me down and go straight into side control in like 5 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Can anyone recommend me a lightweight gi please? Preferably uk based. Thanks.