Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

That album rules. Definitely on my year-end list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
yeah the sound is gigantic, i'm enjoying it so far

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

Hulk Krogan posted:

That album rules. Definitely on my year-end list.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

the shouty vocals on this khemmis album are completely cringeworthy

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Luminiferous for sure.

Also LOL at anyone who is trying to sell Baroness as anything but incredibly safe dad rock for the radio. jeez-zuss

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm seeing a lack of Pentagram's Curious Volume among year-end lists. Makes me sad because it's honestly pretty damned solid. That last track is kind of a punch in the gut :gbsmith:

Lots of good poo poo this year. High on Fire, Khemmis, Weedeater, Monolord, Magic Circle, With The Dead, Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats, Goatsnake... Hard to make calls about what I liked more than others. Good problem to have.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Been listening to Uncle Acid recently. Blood Lust was amazing and made me fall in love with doom metal, but then Mind Control wasn't quite as good(no big deal) and Night Creeper only really had one good song(a bigger deal). I hope they didn't just strike gold with Blood Lust for whatever reason, hopefully their next project will be better than the last two, or at least on par with Mind Control.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Dec 24, 2015

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

funeral fag posted:

Yeah I have to agree with you there and with the clean singing I get a doomy Dream Theater vibe. It's almost good but not my thing. The music is solid but the vocal treatment is not my thing.

Laserface posted:

Luminiferous for sure.

Also LOL at anyone who is trying to sell Baroness as anything but incredibly safe dad rock for the radio. jeez-zuss

I have to agree with this too. I've been biting my tongue with Baroness lately but I just don't get it. The vox blow (technically they are OK, but the style is not for me) and the music is not groovy. I'm not usually one to post about how I don't like things because to each their own, but I'm feeling a little frisky for various reasons so yeah.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 24, 2015

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

funeral fag posted:

I love the album a lot, but I'm not about to disagree with this. I've gotten used to them, but they're not great (except on The Bereaved, where I feel like they were used to pretty great effect when harmonized with the clean vocals).

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I have the same problem with Conan. Especially live performances.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I have to agree with this too. I've been biting my tongue with Baroness lately but I just don't get it. The vox blow (technically they are OK, but the style is not for me) and the music is not groovy. I'm not usually one to post about how I don't like things because to each their own, but I'm feeling a little frisky for various reasons so yeah.

I wish John Baizley didn't wreck his shouty voice and I wish someone told him that his actual singing is not something that merits being recorded. Oh well, there are still some pretty cool moments on Purple.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

Trees and Squids posted:

I wish John Baizley didn't wreck his shouty voice and I wish someone told him that his actual singing is not something that merits being recorded. Oh well, there are still some pretty cool moments on Purple.

I'm sorry, but it bores me. I don't want it to bore me. I want to dig it as much as previous records. But when I bought it, I admit: I bought it out loyalty. I am disappointed.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Can I say that Clearing the Path to Ascend is the best album of the last two years?

Because YOB is life.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

My only Yob complaint is that the mastering in their records isn't amazing imo. They sound so much better and heavier live.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

This is true but also wrong. Burning the alter and grasping air are pretty drat heavy on the disc.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The mix on Atma is tragic

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The mix on Atma is tragic

Yes. I love the song "Prepare the Ground" but it's so hard to listen to. I find myself preferring live YouTube recordings when I want to really listen to it as sad as that is.

YOB in my opinion does it like no other and I easily say they are my favorite band. Also, they all seem like super nice and courteous dudes the few times I've chatted with them which makes them even better.

Mike's unique vocal stylings really make them something special. It's the cherry on top of the musical arrangements.

Clearing the Path to ascend is a tremendous record and it was cool to see them grow even more with it. I've experienced "Marrow" live two times now and its hard to describe how satisfying and mesmerizing it all is.

"Burning the Altar" is the heaviest song I've ever heard. Especially the bridge if that's what you want to call it. I love how the song starts heavy as gently caress for a couple of minutes with drum, bass and some guitar noisey stuff....and then the guitar comes in for real and starts actually playing the riff and it gets even heavier.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Yes. I love the song "Prepare the Ground" but it's so hard to listen to. I find myself preferring live YouTube recordings when I want to really listen to it as sad as that is.

Nah I do exactly that.

Prepare the Ground is one of my favourite songs ever. The first time I heard that opening riff I nearly cried.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Can I say that Clearing the Path to Ascend is the best album of the last two years?

Because YOB is life.

Yup. I've seen them twice now and both times was like a religious experience. When I saw them play all of The Unreal Never Lived and then close with Marrow, I was on cloud 9 for days.

They're just a really, really special band.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I have no feel for purple. I got on board with Baroness with Blue, and Blue is baroness to me. Yellow and Green had some good songs, but wasn't very good. What ive heard on purple hasn't appealed to me at all.

I mean, Red was good too. Haven't heard the EPs. I get that Baroness wants to do weird poo poo and try different things and their lineup changes will bring people who are probably gonna move the group away from what I liked about them. I'm glad they're alive and around to make music, but Purple definitely ain't for me.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I've already listened to Purple more than Green/Yellow so... it's got that going for it I guess. Still prefer First & Second as a simple matter of taste, plus Red and Blue have a few more really knockout tracks that I still love to play loud. Purple just seems like a solid, accessible, middle of the road thing with few highs or lows.

I'd loving love to get all those covers printed and framed, though. At one year of Roadburn, John put on a gallery of his work round the corner from the venue and it was pretty fantastic.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
I think they basically want to be Mastodon, to go pro yet still keep enough of their old sound not to completely alienate their fanbase. I just think they should drop their false metal image and just write noodley rock ballads for radioplay.

Oh and the first two ep's are actually alright, you should def. listen to them if you like the red album.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
First EP is mandatory listening for Tower Falls alone

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
My brother got me the Swallow the Sun LP Emerald Forest and the Blackbird for Christmas - I'd never heard of them and it's a welcome treat! They're more black metal than doom (at least on this album, don't know about the others), but there's still a noticeable funeral doom bent and some parts are very reminiscent of Ahab's The Giant. Well, if Ahab did a collab with Alcest or something.

The records (2xLP) are a neat transparent bright green and the album artwork is really good, and considering he had to import it from Japan the physical quality is near perfect.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

The Gasmask posted:

My brother got me the Swallow the Sun LP Emerald Forest and the Blackbird for Christmas - I'd never heard of them and it's a welcome treat! They're more black metal than doom

Not really, they're a death/doom band with bits and pieces of melodeath.

brucio
Nov 22, 2004
Reading this thread has shown me that I have no idea what "radio rock" or "dad rock" are anymore. Unless maybe, some of you are so far down the doom rabbit hole that your sense of what's radio friendly is skewed.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah if I heard even new Baroness on terrestrial radio I'd be amazed.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

brucio posted:

Reading this thread has shown me that I have no idea what "radio rock" or "dad rock" are anymore. Unless maybe, some of you are so far down the doom rabbit hole that your sense of what's radio friendly is skewed.

either you're being obtuse or you're really ignorant on music yeah. btw it's not "anymore", lots of good 90s bands went down the same road, soundgarden for example. started out heavy & awesome, ended up making cheesy hard rock ballads for alternative radio.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

either you're being obtuse or you're really ignorant on music yeah. btw it's not "anymore", lots of good 90s bands went down the same road, soundgarden for example. started out heavy & awesome, ended up making hard rock ballads for radio.

it's almost like the majority of bands tend to make less aggressive and energetic music as they age. Also again, what loving radio stations are you listening to that play Baroness?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Henchman of Santa posted:

it's almost like the majority of bands tend to make less aggressive and energetic music as they age. Also again, what loving radio stations are you listening to that play Baroness?

nobody listens to the radio I think he is being a bit hyperbolic to make a point about Baroness basically sucking poo poo.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

the majority of bands don't do that, i could come up with loads and loads of bands with way longer careers than baroness who've stayed true to their original sound.

i'm not american so none, but iirc someone said they'd heard baroness on an alternative rock radio station.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 26, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dyna Soar posted:

the majority of bands don't do that, i could come up with loads and loads of bands with way longer careers than baroness who've stayed true to their original sound.

And there are loads and loads that do. "Counter examples exist" does not mean it's not true.

quote:

i'm not american so none, but iirc someone said they'd heard baroness on an alternative rock radio station.
Oh, well if you're pretty sure someone said they heard them on one once, it must be true. Also you don't have radio stations in other countries?

There's also a big difference between being "radio-friendly" and "making music for the radio." The latter implies their motivation is solely commercial when Baroness (and Mastodon and Kylesa for that matter) progressed pretty naturally toward their current state.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I'd love to hear some Purple on the radio, that would be loving wild for Ontario. The heaviest track any of the radio stations are willing to play is Run To The Hills on the rare occasion. Metal (and rap for that matter) is almost completely ignored here.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
i heard agalloch on npr once

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The rear end Stooge posted:

i heard agalloch on npr once

Not the same but I've streamed Trap Them, Cormorant and Disma albums from NPR's site.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
When NPR does the metal thing once in a while, it's usually pretty good stuff. Which isn't that surprising, since NPR is pretty nerdy anyway and it makes sense that whoever picks the metal stuff they showcase would be into it and not just some doofus picking at random.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I got interviewed on the radio recently and got them to play Goatsnake.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

My point is that in a thread exclusively about music that makes you feel depressed as gently caress and has heavy fuzzy riffs, Baroness is the equivalent of linkin park in the metal thread.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

big scary monsters posted:

I got interviewed on the radio recently and got them to play Goatsnake.

Doin' the Lord's work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Laserface posted:

My point is that in a thread exclusively about music that makes you feel depressed as gently caress and has heavy fuzzy riffs, Baroness is the equivalent of linkin park in the metal thread.

i dunno, i guess that dude is just pissed off b/c he likes it and some ppl don't.

i think it sounds like the love child of phil collins, santana and slayer and not in a good way, hah.