Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Chemmy posted:

Eh. Serve it on a warm plate.

Better yet, get two steaks. Set one aside and shun it. Then you're going to look at the other steak. Just look at it. Open your eyes wide, grit your teeth, and build hatred in your veins. What you are about to do takes true grit. Grab your favorite knife and get ready to gently caress that steak. No, no, not in that way. You are going to murder this steak in a way that will make a steak nerd become so appalled that his jaw will drop, his pants will drop, and then his balls will drop.

Begin by cutting a thin slice from the top of the steak, but leave it hanging, butterflied, hinged on the short side like you've just scalped someone and got distracted by a beautiful woman or a rather interesting raccoon. Below that slice, cut the opposite way, also keeping it connected at the edge. Continue a few more cuts. You should now have a steak that somewhat resembles an accordion. Now, make a cut leaving a hing on the long side, like a book, and start a second row. Continue expanding this pattern until you are out of steak. Unfolded, the steak should resemble a road map.

Why are you doing this? Surface area. Surface area is delicious. You are going to create an unholy altar to the great chemist, Louis Maillard, by taking a steak and its measly 60 square inches of surface area and making 1000 in2 of meaty brown ambrosia.

Go to your stove and turn on all the burners. Yes, all of them, and cranked to high. If you have a glass-top stove, great. If not, grab whatever thick metal pans you might have or cannibalize a couple of lovely electric griddles. Hell, go to a junkyard and take the hood off of an old Ford and lay the thing on your barbeque. Nobody will question the meaty fire in your eyes. You are a craftsman, building a commercial-sized griddle that can maintain a minimum temperature of 300 degrees, which means starting much higher. So let all of that metal heat up. This will take a while, so you might grab a seat on your manliest rocking chair and sit like Betsy Ross, sewing together your meat flag using bits of leek threading.

You'll know the griddle is ready when your house blows a breaker or the fire alarm goes off. Personally, I wait until my hood fan starts making labored, grinding noises that make the dog howl. Season and lightly oil your meat blanket, then cast it over the grill like you are a bullfighter of beefs.

Grill, my friend, grill and chant a verse of praise to Louis Maillard. Flip and grill again. Congratulations. You now have turned a single steak into the best part of a hundred steaks. Now, do you remember that other steak that you coldly left behind? You are going to heat it just until juicy, then wrap that raw slab up in your meat blanket like a burrito. Or, hell, just forget the raw steak and make a meat turban on your head and eat your way out. Or wear it like a bandana, pretend to be a train robber, and eat your way out. Or make a meat shirt and flex your way to a delicious meal. You have created meat linen. It is a childhood dream come true. You are Little Nemo in the land of meatiful dreams.

Likewise, for dessert, you're going to make a cake that's 100% buttercream frosting and Mobius brownies, which are nothing but edges. When you go to make love to your sweet wife or hand, you'll orgasm for all 7 minutes. When you fart, it will be long and pleasurable, consisting of nothing but the funny part at the end of most farts, where the pitch increases like your butt just asked an intriguing question. When you wake up the next day and pee, your piss shiver will last the entire morning. This experience can only be surpassed if you could ever can muster the courage to baconize an entire pig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

:goonsay:

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
So basically you're making a cheese steak.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
I've been trying to make homemade yogurt, but my first two attempts turned out roughly the consistency of snot. I let the yogurt set in a warm place for around 8 hours. Both times it appeared to set (smelled yogurty, and a slice I made in the curds remained visible), but transferring it made it disintegrate. Does this mean is just hasn't sat long enough? Do I need to chill it before trying to move it?

There are about a million guides online to making yogurt, but most are contradictory and vaguely superstitious.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't think just letting it sit will work unless it's pretty hot. Or leave it longer. What I do is put it in a tupperware, fill my rice cooker with water, then put the tupperware in the water bath and leave the cooker on warm. I leave it there to incubate overnight, in the morning I put it on the counter and go to work. When I get home, I have yogurt. I strain out some whey to thicken it and then refrigerate. So 8-10 hours incubating, 9 hours or so on the counter. When I tried without the incubation I let it sit a full day and it still wasn't really yogurty.

It will be pretty thin unless you strain it. I use a couple paper coffee filters in a colander. I like more of a Greek style so I strain about half the volume out.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I want to make my own almond flour. My understanding is that doing so in a food processor is going to release too many oils and make a paste more than a flour. So I need to do so in a coffee/spice grinder. Should I blanch/roast/toast the almonds first?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Cuddlebottom posted:

I've been trying to make homemade yogurt, but my first two attempts turned out roughly the consistency of snot. I let the yogurt set in a warm place for around 8 hours. Both times it appeared to set (smelled yogurty, and a slice I made in the curds remained visible), but transferring it made it disintegrate. Does this mean is just hasn't sat long enough? Do I need to chill it before trying to move it?

There are about a million guides online to making yogurt, but most are contradictory and vaguely superstitious.

I personally find that adding plenty of dry milk at the beginning will make it thicker- I hear gelatin will as well- but transferring it typically loosens it up or having thick enough yogurt prevents it from reforming to a new container. It's probably the only reason I bought a 'yogurt maker' was for the individual cups.

Even the way I like it, I'd still have to strain it for greek style, unless I went super overboard with dry milk in which case it has almost a flan consistency.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
Ah, so it sounds like it's not like bread, it really needs to ferment much warmer than room temperature. I bought some cheesecloth, too, so hopefully finding a better way to incubate and straining it helps. Thanks!

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

SubG posted:

The water content of cooked meat tends to be around 60%, independent of cooking method (to within plus or minus a few percent). Citation: some data from the USDA.

If you were doing something for publication you'd have to sweat it, but for just eyeballing it in the kitchen that's probably good enough.

And for whatever it's worth, the search I did for the USDA data turned up a paper from a University in Portugal that presents an empirical model for frying that seems to be consistent with my earlier suppositions about the shape of a frying tater being more important than the temperature. It does not, however, specifically discuss oil retention (at least in the data present in the preview).

From the first citation, variation of water content in raw vs cooked beef varies from 1 percentage point in lean ground to 15 points in brisket. Either way, the notion that one can just weigh food pre and post fryer and get something even approaching an accurate count of calories added by oil is a drastic oversimplification given the aims and sensitivity needs of most calorie-counters.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Phummus posted:

I want to make my own almond flour. My understanding is that doing so in a food processor is going to release too many oils and make a paste more than a flour. So I need to do so in a coffee/spice grinder. Should I blanch/roast/toast the almonds first?

I've made almond flour in a processor and it didn't turn into paste, worked pretty well for macarons

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Can anyone suggest a nice dumpling recipe for in a red wine stew? My mum gave me her recipe, but they're horribly tough and stodgy.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

pork never goes bad posted:

From the first citation, variation of water content in raw vs cooked beef varies from 1 percentage point in lean ground to 15 points in brisket. Either way, the notion that one can just weigh food pre and post fryer and get something even approaching an accurate count of calories added by oil is a drastic oversimplification given the aims and sensitivity needs of most calorie-counters.
I wasn't attempting to be sensitive to the needs of most calorie counters.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Either way, the notion that one can just weigh food pre and post fryer and get something even approaching an accurate count of calories added by oil is a drastic oversimplification given the aims and sensitivity needs of most calorie-counters.

It was pretty much a comment of 'if you don't believe it soaks up a lot of oil, just weigh it and notice a dramatic change', or at least that's how I read it.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

SubG posted:

I wasn't attempting to be sensitive to the needs of most calorie counters.

I'm really just objecting to this line of your earlier post:

SubG posted:

You can actually just weigh a portion of the food before and after cooking to figure out how much of the cooking oil it's hanging onto.

It seems to be inaccurate, and is definitely misleading whether there is some sense in which it is accurate (when precision needs are sufficiently low, I suppose). I'm not sure what you meant by this line if you didn't mean that for the implied purpose of the person you were responding to - calorie counting - this sort of weighing would work. The context is there whether you intended to address it or not.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

It seems to be inaccurate, and is definitely misleading whether there is some sense in which it is accurate (when precision needs are sufficiently low, I suppose). I'm not sure what you meant by this line if you didn't mean that for the implied purpose of the person you were responding to - calorie counting - this sort of weighing would work. The context is there whether you intended to address it or not.
I was offering it as a method for getting a general feel for the behaviour of the food in the cooking process. Nifty's original post was about his confusion about how it could be possible that a fried fish could only have a Tbsp of oil when french fries apparently have so much. I was trying to explain why this is so, and suggesting an empirical method by which you could, in the average kitchen, get a feel for it.

Weighing the cooking oil in the fryer would be more accurate, but I hesitate to suggest it. I'm imagining someone putting a boiling hot fryer on a kitchen scale, tumping it over, their house engulfed in flames, and them turning to face the internet to curse me with their dying breath. Actually now that I think of it, I can't remember why I didn't suggest it instead.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Phummus posted:

Do like they do for coconut flour. Blend the almonds in a blender with enough water to make almond milk, then strain out the pulp, and roast it in the oven until it's dried out, and becomes almond flour. :)

For the beans and rice person: http://altveg.blogspot.com/2012/06/i-saw-complaint-from-someone-who-was.html <- I wrote about it on my blog.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

Valdara posted:

I just spent two hours making pot pie. The prep can be lengthy, but it is oh, so very worth it. I even managed to take reasonably detailed pictures of basically every step. Would delicious pot pie be something to start a new thread, or something to just stick on the end of "what I made for supper"? I made it in my shiny new stainless pot, and it showed me a bunch of things I've only every read about due to using non-stick a majority of the time.

I think that it could be a pretty cool thread. I was messing around and made some kind of pork pot pie today, no pics though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Cuddlebottom posted:

Ah, so it sounds like it's not like bread, it really needs to ferment much warmer than room temperature. I bought some cheesecloth, too, so hopefully finding a better way to incubate and straining it helps. Thanks!

Yeah it benefits from higher temperatures, you want that bacteria growing like crazy. I think like 90-100 F is supposed to be ideal. The longer you let it sit, the more sour it will get. It will also continue getting sour in the fridge so I recommend fridging it while it's still a little less sour than what you want.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
The tritip turned out fantastic, and I now own a meat thermometer for future meat cooking endeavours. It ended up a solid medium rather than med-rare, since I had it resting in a cooler with a bottle of hot water to make sure it and the rest of the meal didn't get too cold in the loving HOUR it took to drive 23 miles thanks to stupid Stanford traffic. But, in the end, it was super tender and delicious. It now makes me cry to think of the crock pot death cooking my former roommates would subject their tritip to.

I have another question. Why is there all this hate for ground turkey? I've seen it called "the worst meat" and many reactions of horror for people using it in recipes. It was on sale for super duper cheaper than any other ground meat and is always the same price as the highest fat ground beef at Trader Joe's, so it's comparable on that end. It has plenty of flavor, but is subtle enough that it can be spiced to fit into any dish you're serving. It doesn't taste as rich as beef or pork, but it also lets the spices shine a bit more.

When I'm making meatloaf or meatballs or something along those lines that calls specifically for a type of meat, I get beef and pork, but for everyday "brown ground meat and add spices" I go for the cheapest and lightest flavor, which is ground turkey. So what's the problem? I will readily admit that ground turkey breast tastes like sawdust, but the regular stuff is fine.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
It's one of the leanest things you can commonly get, which is good and bad; good if you want lean protein for your dietary needs, but bad if you're making any recipe that relies on there being some fat in your ground meat (like burgers, for example). The lack of fat is seen as a negative by a lot of people.

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.
You can do perfectly good things with ground turkey, but it's incredibly easy to overcook. As a result, most people hate it because, more than likely, every time they've eaten something made with ground turkey, it's been dry, chalky, overcooked bullshit.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I bought a block of tofu and I don't know anything about tofu. All Google is finding me is recipes and the like.

The package says a lot about pressing and draining it to make it firm and then frying it? Can I just cut off slices and eat them plain and simple? What are the basics and "rules" for tofu?

I'm looking more for the protein than for good food here, and it might be worth noting that my cooking skill is at the level where I've literally learned how to boil pasta and eggs this week.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Don't press tofu. Pressing is for white people. I like to drain, slice in 1" cubes and dry fry in a wok. Then when it's brown and puffy and crispy all around toss in a mix of chili, light soy, garlic, oyster sauce, and scallion that's been stir fried up together until thickened.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007
I've got a bunch of cremini mushrooms left over after making a mushroom bolognese a couple days ago (about 3/8# or so). Any suggestions on dishes I could make for one person that would utilize at least some of these? I'm going out of town for the weekend and doubt they will still be good when I return. I'm also only going to have about 45 minutes tonight to make dinner.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

rj54x posted:

I've got a bunch of cremini mushrooms left over after making a mushroom bolognese a couple days ago (about 3/8# or so). Any suggestions on dishes I could make for one person that would utilize at least some of these? I'm going out of town for the weekend and doubt they will still be good when I return. I'm also only going to have about 45 minutes tonight to make dinner.

Steak with sauteed onions and mushrooms.
Chicken cacciatore.
Beef stroganoff.

Or just fry up onions and mushrooms in some butter with salt and pepper to taste. Eat the hell out of them and skip all that other boring prepwork.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anyone have a tasty quick recipe for brussel sprouts that would pair well with lemon rosemary roasted chicken?

sharing oven space is a bonus too, instead of stove top.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I just found out my husband is going to be traveling for work all next week, so I get to find out if it's possible for me to eat so much salmon that I get tired of it! He can't even stand the way it smells, so I only eat it at home if he's out of town (or if I get sushi, which doesn't make the house smell like salmon).

I'm going to do my darnedest to eat as much salmon as a bear preparing for hibernation.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Anyone have a tasty quick recipe for brussel sprouts that would pair well with lemon rosemary roasted chicken?

cut em in half then oil em and whack em in the oven

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

cut em in half then oil em and whack em in the oven

also, nuts!!

Brussel sprouts need/want/love nuts,

for example: chestnuts, or hazelnuts

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

paraquat posted:

also, nuts!!

Brussel sprouts need/want/love nuts,

for example: chestnuts, or hazelnuts

Pinenuts?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
yes, that would be fine as well...and a bit of fresh ground black pepper

Happy Abobo
Jun 21, 2007

Looks tastier, anyway.

toplitzin posted:

My favourite quick way to cook brussels sprouts is to render the fat out of an ounce or two of bacon, sausage, or other fatty cured meat, then slice the sprouts up and toss them in with some dijon and maple syrup.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

toplitzin posted:

If you're eating outside or it's hot, make a slaw; brussels sprouts are cabbage, after all.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/17/dining/17minirex2.html

Take that recipe and run with it.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

toplitzin posted:

Quarter em. Salt, pepper, olive oil, and either soy sauce or my favorite liquid amino. Roast em in the oven @425. Flip em halfway to brown em all over.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

rj54x posted:

I like to cook them whole in some good red wine with some shallot, garlic and rosemary. Use as a side dish or just stuff them into your mouth. Reduce the wine for more deliciousness.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I am cooking a butter chicken for some people and I want to impress. I want it to be as UK style as possible. I liked the look of this recipe and was wondering if I could get any feedback or suggestions on things I could add/take away/do differently. Cheers.

http://indianfood.about.com/od/chickendishes/r/butterchicken.htm

The one thing I would probably do differently is not grind up the bay leaves into the spice mix. I always thought you are meant to add a whole bay leaf to cooking and then remove it as it has a lovely mouth feel and just isn't really food fit for human consumption.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I'd like to slow cook some pulled pork in a dutch oven while I'm at work. I have 6 pounds and want it to be done in 10-12 hours. What temperature should I cook at to attempt to hit the 10 hour mark? Is there some kind of mass/temp=>time chart I can consult? I was thinking 225F, but would appreciate any advice.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

bunnielab posted:

Whats a good temp to cook scallops to? I am really bad at judging doneness by touch and I always end up over cooking them.

scallops are delicious raw/rare inside; sear at high heat until the outside has a dark golden brown crust, remove pan from heat and flip scallops over for a few seconds, plate.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I'd like to make stuffed peppers this weekend, so I humbly request a totally kickass recipe that isn't a bunch of fancy-pants ingredients I have to find a mysterious black market grocery store for. Bonus points if I only have to assemble and throw in the crock pot for a few hours, but I'm not so lazy as to ignore other methods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

SpazmasterX posted:

I'd like to make stuffed peppers this weekend, so I humbly request a totally kickass recipe that isn't a bunch of fancy-pants ingredients I have to find a mysterious black market grocery store for. Bonus points if I only have to assemble and throw in the crock pot for a few hours, but I'm not so lazy as to ignore other methods.

stuffed peppers in a crock pot would just be a mush of undeveloped flavors. Sorry.

Make Chile Rellenos.