Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Oops I sniped this page. Here's some smoking meat.
After rubbing and getting onto the smoker:

After 3.5 hours at 200-240 F:

I also made some chicken legs, and I don't have any photos of the finished products because smoking is hard, hunger-building work.

Colostomy Bag posted:

I had that exact same grill and side fire box. It was my first. A couple things:

1) Don't get discouraged by it. Meaning it is drat near impossible to just get a stable temp on it.
2) It is very inefficient. It eats charcoal like nobody's business.

And as for anyone cooking chickens, I hope to hell you are all making stock with the remains of the carcass. Given the cost of chicken stock in the store, it basically cuts the price of the chicken you paid for in half.

Edit: And just to add, if you are on the fence for a Insta-pot type electric pressure cooker, it makes great stock in about 90 minutes.

I found both of those things out yesterday, but the final product came out deliciously. I also went through basically an entire bag of chunks/chips. I will indeed make stock with the smoked chicken carcass, in my instant pot not less.

I may not need to be smoking on this thing for very long; my guests yesterday asked me if I would take the egg-style cooker they don't know how to use.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That's great. You had great smoke.

With an egg style cooker, a few hands of charcoal, letting it come up to temp and you will be amazed at the difference with temps. The key point is letting it come up to temp slowly. Vents will look like a slit, but once it is dialed in you won't have to worry for temps. It will just rock on its way once dialed in.

Nice work on the chicken stock. Once chilled, should be like jelly.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Colostomy Bag posted:

That's great. You had great smoke.

With an egg style cooker, a few hands of charcoal, letting it come up to temp and you will be amazed at the difference with temps. The key point is letting it come up to temp slowly. Vents will look like a slit, but once it is dialed in you won't have to worry for temps. It will just rock on its way once dialed in.

Until when at temp you open it to put the food on. :)

My keg is the same way, so I avoid it by putting the food on a bit before temp is reached.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I made the Chef Steps sous vide ribs and I made smoked ribs for memorial day and did a side by side.

The sous vide ribs were juicy and delicious. It has a not horrible but definitely inauthentic bark. If you can live without that, everything else about sous vide ribs is great.

Chef Steps sous vide ribs:

Smokenator ribs from the upper chamber (good smoke, but slightly overcooked)

Smokenator ribs from the bottom chamber (well cooked, underdone smoke)

I think next time I'm gonna put all the ribs in one chamber, this upper and lower chamber business is probably not good.

Also, if you're in the market for a smokenator for your weber, get a slow 'n sear instead. The water chamber in that one solves so many problems.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 31, 2017

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!
I bought the smokenator right before the slow n sear came out, which is pretty much par for the course for me. I've been happy with the results I've gottten, but the SnS does look like it has some major QoL improvements.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Well poo poo. Weather forecasts in my area are calling for rain on Memorial Day and pretty much the whole week after. Based on that, I may have to either postpone my smoking plans until the following week, or do it tomorrow and pray to god it doesn't rain then too (which the forecasts say it will). :(

Turns out there was no rain on Memorial Day. And I'm starting to doubt there's going to be much if any rain this week.

I skipped smoking my beef ribs for nothing. :argh:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Turns out there was no rain on Memorial Day. And I'm starting to doubt there's going to be much if any rain this week.

I skipped smoking my beef ribs for nothing. :argh:

How would you have done them? After the way I did mine this weekend, I decided next batch will me marinated in the wine mixture overnight.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

It might be hard to see in this photo, but the chef steps ribs actually got a little smoke ring. However, it's kind of embarrassing to have a smoke ring when you don't have a legit bark

So... don't bother with the pink salt

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 1, 2017

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Fog Tripper posted:

How would you have done them? After the way I did mine this weekend, I decided next batch will me marinated in the wine mixture overnight.

I would've dry-rubbed them, then mopped them with a vinegar sauce after they came out.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I did a dry rub on lamb ribs, put wine and herbs in a dripping pan, reduced that and used it as the glaze at the end. It was amazing.

For beef ribs though coffee grounds, salt and pepper are really good.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 1, 2017

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I have a whole chicken from a friend whose brood I helped slaughter.

There's no low and slow play here so should I was going to just spatchcock, salt tonight, rub under the skin and grill at 425ish with some smoking wood in the coals. Does that sound like a good idea?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

It might be hard to see in this photo, but the chef steps ribs actually got a little smoke ring. However, it's kind of embarrassing to have a smoke ring when you don't have a legit bark

So... don't bother with the pink salt

Did you smoke them after the s.v. step?

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Hed posted:

There's no low and slow play here so should I was going to just spatchcock, salt tonight, rub under the skin and grill at 425ish with some smoking wood in the coals. Does that sound like a good idea?

I usually smoke chickens at 250 for ~3 hours (til done). Yes you don't need slow and low but better smoke flavor that way.

That said grilling with some smoking wood going should still taste pretty good.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Rurutia posted:

Did you smoke them after the s.v. step?

Nah, I wanted to try the recipe as published to see how it stacked up. Weren't you going to sv then smoke? How did that go?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Nah, I wanted to try the recipe as published to see how it stacked up. Weren't you going to sv then smoke? How did that go?

It went really well in terms of flavor and inner texture, but I'm partial to s.v. ribs. However, it definitely did not get the best bark, just 'good enough' for me. I smoked for about 3.5 hours each at 180F, nothing went over 150F. I didn't use any liquid smoke in the s.v. step but used an excessive amount of smoke (apple) which was actually absorbed very well. Definitely no smoke ring - but honestly the cross section was a beautiful medium rare pink so it wouldn't have really shown up well anyways.

I did sauce then grill over direct heat after resting it after smoking, which caused a bit of the thin outer areas to get too high and dry out and lose that soft s.v. texture. I had a 2nd batch I grilled out of the fridge the day after which did not have this problem.

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jun 2, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Hed posted:

Hell go for it and report back. Only way we learn.

Should have some nice skin on it at those temps.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

After doing a 7lb pork butt for memorial day i think it's time to move up to brisket.
Exhibits:

A:

B:

C:

I got a 5lb flat from costco, hit it with a ever so light dusting of quick cure #1 (To try faking a smoke ring) then rubbed it with salt to sit in the fridge overnight.
Either late tonight or early tomorrow morning i'll give it some rub, then pop it into the MES @ 225 to do it's thing over mesquite or maybe alder.
I don't crutch, so I figure a 5lb flat will take 8ish+ hours, plus 2 hours resting in a insulated grocery bag.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
my brisket rub usually comprises of some sea salt, paprika, black pepper, brown sugar and chili powder, and comes out really good. Try at least throwing on some brown sugar Toplitzin.

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
I've been very successful with just 2 part pepper 1 part kosher salt. Spraying with a mixture of cider vinegar and water (more vin than water) before the krutch. No need to get too crazy.

Also, who really cares about the 'smoke ring'?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

i don't particularly care, but figured i'd test because :science:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
I have company coming tomorrow evening for pork butt. I have discovered I have none of my rub left that I had made a big batch of a while ago. Anyone have crowd pleasing suggestions before I go ahead and wing it? I'm smoking two butts from Costco to be ready at 4:30 or 5ish. Probably gonna crutch it since I have done that in the past and it has worked out well.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

therobit posted:

I have company coming tomorrow evening for pork butt. I have discovered I have none of my rub left that I had made a big batch of a while ago. Anyone have crowd pleasing suggestions before I go ahead and wing it? I'm smoking two butts from Costco to be ready at 4:30 or 5ish. Probably gonna crutch it since I have done that in the past and it has worked out well.

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/rubs_pastes_marinades_and_brines/meatheads_memphis_dust.html

That's the rub recipe I use on all my pork. Tasty and helps make the bark nice.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Brisket update:

Went on at midnight at 225°.
Still deep in stall (160° core temp)
Looks delicious, added second handful of chips now. (Went with mesquite)
Will pull and rest at 204°

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Been looking at making brisket myself soon. I've been using amazingribs.com as my guide but the have been wondering if the rest of you folks inject yours with anything? He suggests just broth to keep it moist but I wonder if that's normal or a competition thing.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Larrymer posted:

Been looking at making brisket myself soon. I've been using amazingribs.com as my guide but the have been wondering if the rest of you folks inject yours with anything? He suggests just broth to keep it moist but I wonder if that's normal or a competition thing.

I did at first, but after a few runs i tried it without a hot beef injection and it was the same. Moist and juicy. Just make sure not to cook it at too high with a temp and you should be fine.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Larrymer posted:

no injection here. just the salt cure/rub.
we're out of the stall and slowly climbing.
176°

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

toplitzin posted:

no injection here. just the salt cure/rub.
we're out of the stall and slowly climbing.
176°

i want pictures when this is done.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Closer...

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I like a little coriander on my brisket along with salt and pepper. Too much else starts to infringe on the beefy goodness imo.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
Anybody have any recommendations on a book or guide to getting started? I don't have any equipment and don't know poo poo about poo poo but would like to try my hand at smoking

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

beepsandboops posted:

Anybody have any recommendations on a book or guide to getting started? I don't have any equipment and don't know poo poo about poo poo but would like to try my hand at smoking

I don't know about any books, but http://amazingribs.com/ should have pretty much everything you need, including dispelling any myths or weirdness you may have heard of in the past.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It's time!

Edit: fifteen and a half hours at 225

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 4, 2017

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Ok, just kidding.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Would eat that meat. How was it? Lessons learned?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

It was delicious.
Wouldn't have to change a thing.
There is always room for rub experimentation. Or wood changes.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

beepsandboops posted:

If you jump back in this thread 20-50 pages and read, you'll pick up an awful lot of information. The AmazinRibs site is good as well. The guy who runs that wrote a book. Most of the info is available on the site as well, but if you're starting out it's worth grabbing from the library since it's easier to read through in physical form and look up information later.

One thing I will note about barbecue is that there is a ton of contradictory information out there. Take everything with a grain of (kosher) salt. Meathead, the Amazing Ribs guy, basically doesn't believe in resting meat while most other sources do. Eventually you pave your own way from your own preferences and experiences.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Franklin BBQ book is less about recipes and more about the process. I really like that book.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

sellouts posted:

Franklin BBQ book is less about recipes and more about the process. I really like that book.

I wanna grab that book at some point, I started to learn how to cook through lots of episodes of Good Eats and getting the science behind it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Does the BBQ thread have any strong opinions on electric smokers? I am tired of fires and am intrigued by the possibility of maintenance-free smoking for under $200.