Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

There's literally a page and a half on Easy Virtual Networking at the end of the ROUTE Foundation Learning Guide. It basically says "this is a thing that exists and you should pimp it to employers so we get more money and you get to flex your Cisco creds".

I have avoided this book because of the comments and ratings on Amazon...what has your experience been?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
Are all CCNP certifications 3 exams longs? And do they each cost 250?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

crunk dork posted:

Ccnp security is 4 exams at that price :suicide:

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Ccnp security is 4 exams at that price :suicide:

The CCNA Security exam is such trash I don't even want to pursue the CCNP level anyways :(

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Collaboration is also four exams.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

crunk dork posted:

Route and Switch are the first two exams (of three) for both CCNP Routing & Switching and CCDP/CCNP design whatever they call it now. ICND1 is a prerequisite for more than one (not all) CCNA certs...so there is some level of game-ability depending on what you need/want to get.

Welcome to the certification arms race. Nobody with a weird birth mark on their head is gonna make it stop...

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Marshall Louis posted:

I have avoided this book because of the comments and ratings on Amazon...what has your experience been?

I bought the Official Cert Guide rather than the FLG. It too had like, a page about Cisco EVN, but I remember multiple questions on it. (Multiple might have been like, 2, but I am salty as hell about that test.)

The OCG is just like most Cisco books in that it contains a shitload of detail about everything. And then you get a pool of questions where there's only one that's even about BGP, and multiple questions about IPv6 poo poo.

It was my fault for not getting better on v6, but there was little time spent on it in the class, so I figured on it having a much smaller showing in the question pool. I was wrong, this time.

I had a feeling this would be how it went down; I spend most of my day on ASAs and first/second layer switches, so I do very little with routing. I had counted on this test being the hardest of the three. SWITCH will mostly be a matter of me relearning STP, and TSHOOT is what I do all day every day.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Been studying for 70-412. Federated services have always been a giant mystery to me but the Youtube videos from itfreetraining about ADFS (13 in total) are really, really good at explaining things and I encourage anyone else that is baffled by such matters to check the videos out. Super clear and simple explanations including some good analogies to help you remember things and walk-throughs on setting it up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Marshall Louis posted:

It's okay. It's wordy and heavy as gently caress, which is appropriate for a textbook. I also have the FLGs for CCNA R&S and they did a pretty good job of preparing me for the CCNAX. I haven't done SWITCH yet but I know people who have used the book for it and did well.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

It's okay. It's wordy and heavy as gently caress, which is appropriate for a textbook. I also have the FLGs for CCNA R&S and they did a pretty good job of preparing me for the CCNAX. I haven't done SWITCH yet but I know people who have used the book for it and did well.

Are you using the newest edition? The comments I mentioned talked about lots of technical errors

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Marshall Louis posted:

Are you using the newest edition? The comments I mentioned talked about lots of technical errors

The one I have was printed July 2015 and it appears that most if not all of the errata from the first edition has been fixed.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Kazinsal posted:

The one I have was printed July 2015 and it appears that most if not all of the errata from the first edition has been fixed.

Thanks for the info. For 300-115 Switch, the OCG and the foundation learning guide seem really good. The foundation learning guide seems to have some details the OCG and cbtnuggets/INE don't cover.

G/l with route.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
210-260 3rd attempt tomorrow afternoon. Spent the last week memorizing stupid bullshit about firepower and hammering out the exact steps for one of the sims I had trouble with.

This is my last exam I have to take for WGU and if I don't pass it tomorrow I have no idea what I'm going to do, they definitely won't waive the class for me and I can't keep dropping $250 every other week. Feeling pretty good about it all things considered though, needed an 860 and scored 840 last time.

Has anyone who reads this thread passed it?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

AFAIK like 4 or 5 of us in this thread have taken it and all of us have failed.

quicksand
Nov 21, 2002

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke.

crunk dork posted:

210-260 3rd attempt tomorrow afternoon. Spent the last week memorizing stupid bullshit about firepower and hammering out the exact steps for one of the sims I had trouble with.

This is my last exam I have to take for WGU and if I don't pass it tomorrow I have no idea what I'm going to do, they definitely won't waive the class for me and I can't keep dropping $250 every other week. Feeling pretty good about it all things considered though, needed an 860 and scored 840 last time.

Has anyone who reads this thread passed it?

I was in your boat in November, my term ended on November 30, 2015 and I was in the old CCNA Security track.
I'm super glad I was able to take the old exam because it sounds like the new one is hosed!

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
It's definitely passable but just a pain in the rear end. There was a question over ntp that had me stumped but I'm pretty sure I figured it out. I'm sure I'll get it this time and hopefully they push out an updated OCG this year sometime for it.

Crunchtime
Dec 16, 2005

I like to move it move it!
Taking Net+ this Friday. Anyone taken it recently? Big things to look for?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Crunchtime posted:

Taking Net+ this Friday. Anyone taken it recently? Big things to look for?

The practical parts take a bit. I would highly advise marking them for review and circling back around to them at the end. Lots of troubleshooting, IPv6 vs IPv4, and protocol/port numbers. ymmv, but it's not too bad.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Anyone here have OSCP course/certification experience?

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I managed to pass the first cert test for Citrix on the virtualization track (CCA-V) today, so if someone is curious about it (no one is curious), here's my observations.

The instructor led class is good if you don't know anything about administrating Citrix but painfully dull if you do. The labs are good, they give you an entire hypervisor to play with that's pre-loaded with iso's and templates. It did a good job of preparing me for the simulation portion of the test but fell painfully short in the multiple choice area. Experience with my own production environment was a much larger benefit here but because we use MCS over PVS and haven't really had many problems there was a lot I felt I didn't know and had to make educated guesses on.

Now to decide if I want to go for the next cert, CCP-V.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
3rd fail in as many weeks. 840 last time and 850 this time. The sim that's bugged I pointed out (again at a different test center) and wrote a long rear end comment on what was wrong with it and the exact steps I took. Going to file a formal complaint with Cisco and see if I can get them to pass me for it because I know what I was trying to do is supposed to work but wouldn't.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

crunk dork posted:

Going to file a formal complaint with Cisco and see if I can get them to pass me for it because I know what I was trying to do is supposed to work but wouldn't.

Yeah the most frustrating part for me is how easy the lab would be if it was working correctly.

I'm probably going to go for attempt 4 on Friday, making it 1K I've spent on a buggy test. I'll need to cram some more on EAP, ISE and general BYOD stuff first

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Is there a reason you guys keep taking a test you know is broken

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Allow me to be a major bummer and say that as someone who works with all of the products covered in the exam on a day to day basis, almost none of what is covered is actually useful in the field.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Vadun posted:

Yeah the most frustrating part for me is how easy the lab would be if it was working correctly.

I'm probably going to go for attempt 4 on Friday, making it 1K I've spent on a buggy test. I'll need to cram some more on EAP, ISE and general BYOD stuff first

Jesus christ dude, I spent 350 on the eLearning materials for IINS 3.0 and 250 on a voucher so far. My first two attempts were covered under tuition. Maybe I'll get a bug bounty for leaving such detailed info on what exactly is wrong or something.

Do you have a good source for information on the things you mention? I found all the materials I looked through severely lacking in those areas as well.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Kashuno posted:

Is there a reason you guys keep taking a test you know is broken

I tried to weasel out of it with WGU but there is literally no way to get my degree except passing this exam I guess, which is broken. So I'm stuck beating my head against a wall. It also satisfies a security requirement for my work that isn't necessary but would be nice to have.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

crunk dork posted:

Jesus christ dude, I spent 350 on the eLearning materials for IINS 3.0 and 250 on a voucher so far. My first two attempts were covered under tuition. Maybe I'll get a bug bounty for leaving such detailed info on what exactly is wrong or something.

Do you have a good source for information on the things you mention? I found all the materials I looked through severely lacking in those areas as well.

Unfortunately Cisco doesn't do Bug Bounties at the moment.

Brian Krebs yelled at a Cisco rep today and they're "rethinking" that.

As for the BYOD stuff , yeah thankfully.

I work for Cisco and half my team are ISE experts. I work on Sourcefire so at least I've been getting 100% on that section

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

crunk dork posted:

I tried to weasel out of it with WGU but there is literally no way to get my degree except passing this exam I guess, which is broken. So I'm stuck beating my head against a wall. It also satisfies a security requirement for my work that isn't necessary but would be nice to have.

can you wait until the exam is not hosed? I mean it seems like you're throwing money away at this point, which I dunno maybe you're rolling in loving cash, but otherwise it seems stupid to keep banging your head and wallet against it.

I mean I understand you want to graduate, but what if they don't refund you for poo poo being broken? Then you're out hundreds if not thousands of dollars.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
I've only actually paid for the voucher once which was for this 3rd attempt. first two times I figured it was my fault for not preparing or paying close enough attention but now I am absolutely sure it's bugged and keeping me from passing.

Going to wait to hear back from Cisco on my case and take a break from studying. End of March is my end of semester and if I could have passed it by then and written my capstone paper I would be done with the degree 6 months early and saved on a full term's tuition.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

just brain dump it at this point so the broken lab won't fail you

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Anyone done a Delloitte CISSP bootcamp before? Just wondering what I've gotten myself into.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

SaltLick posted:

just brain dump it at this point so the broken lab won't fail you

A friend of mine tried that and apparently they changed the question pool fairly recently because dumps are hitting about 75% of the same questions including sims but a good chunk of questions were different.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

More importantly did he pass

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
What's the deal with DNSLint? Most MS command line utilities have names that correlate to what they do, but I can't figure out DNSLint. Bill Gates needed a utility to tell him when his DNS needed a new filter?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

HPL posted:

What's the deal with DNSLint? Most MS command line utilities have names that correlate to what they do, but I can't figure out DNSLint. Bill Gates needed a utility to tell him when his DNS needed a new filter?

dnslint probably gets its name from the UNIX lint command that would find errors or potential bad code in programming language files. And it got its name from the name of the undesirable bits of fiber and fluff found in sheep's wool.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lint_(software)

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

fordan posted:

dnslint probably gets its name from the UNIX lint command that would find errors or potential bad code in programming language files. And it got its name from the name of the undesirable bits of fiber and fluff found in sheep's wool.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lint_(software)

Thanks. I was just about scratching my head raw trying to figure that one out.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Anyone done the Sybex CISSP quizes/book? Just picked up the book the other day and started doing the placement/practice tests and I've been consistently hitting high 70's/low 80's without even cracking the book. Can't be that easy?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

invision posted:

Anyone done the Sybex CISSP quizes/book? Just picked up the book the other day and started doing the placement/practice tests and I've been consistently hitting high 70's/low 80's without even cracking the book. Can't be that easy?

Wait a minute what happened to being a firefighter?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

psydude posted:

Wait a minute what happened to being a firefighter?

Moved to Oregon, the vollie stations are all terrible and I didn't have the money to last until the paid departments started doing hiring.

I work in Telecom now.

e:So basically I just put out fires that I can blame on 'project managers' instead of arsonists now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

SaltLick posted:

More importantly did he pass

Nah, I opened an issue and am waiting to hear back on whether they will award me a pass (doubtful) or at least give me a free voucher (possible)