Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

it's not that c# is impossible to learn, it's just different from what I know (p-langs!!!) and I don't know how windows ui poo poo works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just throw away what you know and do c#. WPF is easy! MVC is easy! WebAPI is easy!! its all so easy!

think of a thing you want to do and do it in c#.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's not that c# is impossible to learn, it's just different from what I know (p-langs!!!) and I don't know how windows ui poo poo works.
wpf is incredible. it doesn't make ui development pleasant, but its no longer painful

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
and mvc is the same for the web

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

coffeetable posted:

wpf is incredible. it doesn't make ui development pleasant, but its no longer painful

better or worse than storyboards

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

uncurable mlady posted:

better or worse than storyboards

better, because nothing is worse than storyboards

except qt i guess

ChiralCondensate
Nov 13, 2007

what is that man doing to his colour palette?
Grimey Drawer
shags what's a good c#/whatever-the-gently caress-else-you-just-listed tutorial/etc. to learn from

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

coffeetable posted:

actually i find it pleasant because i keep thinking boy am i glad i am not using X where X is anything else

is there any cross platform equivalent? is qtquick good?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

is there a wpf control that allows me to draw a giant spinning 3D "GET OUT"

alternatively one that allows me to embed a gif of a giant spinning 3D "GET OUT" into a window i have one of those somewhere

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ChiralCondensate posted:

shags what's a good c#/whatever-the-gently caress-else-you-just-listed tutorial/etc. to learn from

java

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Luigi Thirty posted:

alternatively one that allows me to embed a gif of a giant spinning 3D "GET OUT" into a window i have one of those somewhere

http://wpfanimatedgif.codeplex.com/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

http://helixtoolkit.codeplex.com/

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
Direct3d

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
re: tutorials idk. I guess msdn has some decent stuff. asp.net too. I mean really it comes down to what you want to do with it. You can go through the basic MVC examples on ASP.net and that will give you some basic understanding, but I would never write my MVC apps using Entity Framework the way they do. Its still worth going thru tho to get a feel for MVC. Once you do MVC you can take a look at WebAPI because its basically the same concept but you're returning serialized objects instead of rendered views. Although you can do both things with both frameworks if you want to really confuse people lookin at your code. In the end, though, its still puking out html/js/css, its just trying to help you organize where and how the application does it.

I've always found it kind of hard to get really good tutorials for wpf, or atleast ones I liked. http://www.wpftutorial.net/ is a decent reference for basic stuff. Honestly the biggest thing is understanding MVVM and how its significantly different from MVC. Because of that most people start out doing a shitload of the logic that belongs in their viewmodel inside the codebehind of their view. Its not a bad way to start, but you end up getting so far away from mvvm that you lose some of the benefits of wpf.

tl;dr: use google. use msdn. This isn't like java where the big frameworks all come from apache and spring. The most important frameworks in c# are all first party so that's where you're gonna get the docs. And remember that you're still doing the same stuff as you were in previous languages (ex: making GBS threads out json/xml) you're just gonna do it in an easier to manage way.

p.s.: this is a good UI framework for wpf: https://mui.codeplex.com/

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
one of the things I like about modern ui is if you install the project templates into VS it will create you a project that is laid out pretty well for MVVM

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

we did it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

if i click the button does it launch a browser for gbs

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if i click the button does it launch a browser for gbs

no it just closes the program

why is the designer dumb and not take window borders into account it says my button should be exactly in the middle dammit

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it should be in the middle. you've prob got some margin or padding added somewhere else. or maybe you're using a 3rd party object that screws up margins.

This:
XML code:
<Window x:Class="WpfTest.MainWindow"
        xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml/presentation"
        xmlns:x="http://schemas.microsoft.com/winfx/2006/xaml"
        Title="MainWindow" Height="350" Width="525">
	<StackPanel>
		<Button Content="whatever"/>
	</StackPanel>
</Window>
Generates this:

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
at first i didnt think wpf would be decent at all but i actually like it and c# is really easy to use

what i'm saying is that shaggar was right

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

if i want to try out some of this mvc/c# web stuff, is there a recommended hosting provider? i know a bunch of people love digitalocean for messing around with stuff, but it's all linuxy.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

azure duh

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this but unironically

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
windows hosting is expensive and most windows hosting providers are dumber than a sack of dead kittens

just use azure and be done with it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you want to host it right use the PaaS option. rolling your own server image is really stupid.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
:yotj:
I keep emitting xml when I want JSON. I've decorated everything and edited my web config.

WCF doesn't like me today.

I'm stuck in a meeting the rest of the day.

Damnit.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
This sales twit on the conf call sounds 12 years old and is clearly not cut out to anything technical.

My manger is muting the Mic to mock her.

Lol.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
use webapi instead of wcf if ur doing rest.

also, make sure your client is sending the correct accept header

also idk if wcf has a formatter list like webapi does, but in webapi if the client does not specify the response type they want in the accept header webapi will just pick the first formatter in the list.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

word to the wise you are a huge rear end in a top hat who routinely kicks down but doesnt have the ability to realize that you too are at the bottom of the hill.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

FamDav posted:

word to the wise you are a huge rear end in a top hat who routinely kicks down but doesnt have the ability to realize that you too are at the bottom of the hill.

oh so i'm not the only one who got that feeling about him

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

FamDav posted:

e: 2banks you ignored the reactions your last couple of posts like that one elicited so if it feels like you're being dogpiled here, welp.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jul 25, 2014

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

gently caress them posted:

I keep emitting xml when I want JSON. I've decorated everything and edited my web config.

Damnit.

Did you try fixing the joins? lol

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

gently caress them posted:

Damnit.

keep searching stack overflow i'm sure you'll come up with something

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit
Gonna try web api if the meeting is over by 5. WCF always just worked.

Serious post though conf person is never prepared always late and on the wrong line. She's the first reason I've ever seen my boss mad at all.

Call me a jerk if my boss got mad at that I guess but this is ridiculous.

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Kevin Mitnick P.E. posted:

keep searching stack overflow i'm sure you'll come up with something

MSDN too.

And I actually think I got it but lol meetings.

:q:

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeetings!

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

oh my god

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

there's no point in laying into you itt. if you've always acted like this, high school will have been punishment enough

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

Hi

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

hey, remember abdada or whoever, the tshirt dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck them
Jan 21, 2011

and their bullshit

coffeetable posted:

there's no point in laying into you itt. if you've always acted like this, high school will have been punishment enough

No watching my boss e-mail the it director mocking our vendor during a conf for hours is enough.

• Locked thread