Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The girlfriend has decided that now, after I was approved for financing for a new bike, and after I took the MSF, is the perfect time to try the "it's me or the bike" card.

Literally waiting until I can actually achieve this childhood dream before trying to shut it down. Right at the cusp of it.

So gently caress her, I'm getting the goddamned bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
uhh yeah, thats a no brainer

:byewhore:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
That story had a happy ending. :keke:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What an rear end in a top hat.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Professor Bling posted:

The girlfriend has decided that now, after I was approved for financing for a new bike, and after I took the MSF, is the perfect time to try the "it's me or the bike" card.

Literally waiting until I can actually achieve this childhood dream before trying to shut it down. Right at the cusp of it.

do a burnout on her front lawn

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Feelgood story of the year.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Brag about how much pussy this bike will land you (probably not much but she doesn't know that)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Should have had her take the MSF course with you.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

While choosing an expensive luxury over love and companionship sounds like a stupid thing to do, choosing to not have a partner that gives ultimatums will make you happier overall.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
My mom rides bikes. Tell your girlfriend she's less of a woman than some internet guy's MOM

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Maybe she's upset at the interest rate you got on your financing?

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

While choosing an expensive luxury over love and companionship sounds like a stupid thing to do, choosing to not have a partner that gives ultimatums will make you happier overall.

This is right.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Yeah, I'm a spouse who convinced a spouse to learn to ride. There are a lot of things he's into that I'm not, and vice versa.

But I have never, and would never, make an ultimatum about something like that. It's manipulation, and it's wrong.

My SIL does this to my brother. He is not allowed to play video games because they eat into her time with him.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

My mom rides bikes. Tell your girlfriend she's less of a woman than some internet guy's MOM

vintage italian stallions at that

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Professor Bling posted:

Why not both?

No, seriously, why did she think you couldn't do both? Why, I bet there are dozens of people who successfully have motorcycles and significant others!

Bhurak
Nov 12, 2007

Playing music in the key of HIP!
Fun Shoe

Professor Bling posted:

I had an opportunity to get a .50 rifle for 1800 about 10 years ago but decided to forgo the rifle to save my marriage. Now I'm sans rifle and wife. You chose well.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
A good friend of mine ran into a similar situation earlier in life. He was thinking of getting a motorcycle, and his wife said "If you buy a motorcycle I'm leaving you". So, that week, he went out and bought TWO.

She left him, but motorcycles are a huge part of his life and happiness, with racing and whatever else. And the women he dates are vibrant and beautiful and make him happy.

So you made the right choices.

Don't be with someone who limits you, but also understand she might just be sick with worry of losing you to a wreck. So atgatt and learn and do it right.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've heard from so many friends, "I can't believe Julie let you get another bike!" I'm like dude, we're married; she's not my parent. We don't have that type of relationship where we manipulate each other until someone calls a lawyer, I guess.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Professor Bling posted:

Does she have a reason to think a motorcycle is an absolute death sentence for you? If she doesn't, good job. If she does, get a GoPro.

While choosing an expensive luxury over love and companionship sounds like a stupid thing to do

He is choosing to get the motorcycle that will keep him happy and socialized for the rest of his life, not the noisy bitty who contributes nothing but pain and cash drain.

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014
I look over my shoulder a million times, in the mirror a billion times, finally cut over and slowly start to pull away from stopped traffic into the ramp I got into, then a big loving pickup truck blows around me and honks the horn.

In the rain.

Then he tailgates a loving bus.

:psyduck:

Space Whale
Nov 6, 2014

Razzled posted:

do a burnout on her front lawn

Sprinkle "gently caress you" in rye grass seeds so next spring it'll grow a different shade of green.

Also follow Razzled's advice.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
To be fair, y'all, she backed off real quick when I told her I was still getting the bike, but yeah, we're gonna be having a little talk about why these ultimatums are lovely and she's going to either not do them anymore or find someone who's enough of a lily-livered pantywaist to meekly say "okay, honey" because I am not that man.

She's not gone yet, but it's still a distinct possibility. If she keeps this idea that I'll change my mind if she puts her foot down I'll be showing her the door.

Quick edit: my uncle was a motorcycle trooper so I've been ATGATT since I could walk, taught "treat every driver as if theyre half-assed, half-drunk, and literally out to kill you," etc., and she definitely played the "I'm only doing this for your safety" card and I immediately called that bluff.

Professor Bling fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Aug 25, 2016

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Professor Bling posted:

To be fair, y'all, she backed off real quick when I told her I was still getting the bike, but yeah, we're gonna be having a little talk about why these ultimatums are lovely and she's going to either not do them anymore or find someone who's enough of a lily-livered pantywaist to meekly say "okay, honey" because I am not that man.
Tell her "It's me or the lovely attitude."

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Professor Bling posted:

Quick edit: my uncle was a motorcycle trooper so I've been ATGATT since I could walk, taught "treat every driver as if theyre half-assed, half-drunk, and literally out to kill you," etc.,

:respek: you'll go far.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
My wife took care of me hand and foot for three months after my crash until I could use my left leg and right hand again, literally wiped my rear end when I poo poo, and since then I've bought two more bikes and never had any arguments over it. She still wants to take the MSF and get her endorsement too.

There's love, and then there's smothering neediness.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Read this thread, which is full of people who are apparently just wonderful at communicating with their partners, especially re: motorcycles. Nobody bitter and resentful and in loveless relationships, no sir.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Seriously, people with these attitudes just baffle the poo poo out of me. I'm getting married very soon so I'm thinking about compromise and expensive dangerous hobbies etc a lot. My fiancée is cool with me and bikes, so that part isn't an issue. But it wouldn't ever occur to me to drop big bucks on a bike or gun or anything without talking to her first, and especially not with a "gently caress you wife this is who I am" attitude like so many dudes in that adv thread take. Do your life partner's feelings about your common finances really bring about that much resentment? Does it never occur to people that if you act like an adult and respectfully work through a relationship-impacting disagreement, your partner might actually be ok with it and not resent you and bikes forever?

E: That's not directed at you, Professor Bling, just at people who use the stupid loving ball and chain analogy in earnest.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 25, 2016

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Seriously, people with these attitudes just baffle the poo poo out of me. I'm getting married very soon so I'm thinking about compromise and expensive dangerous hobbies etc a lot. My fiancée is cool with me and bikes, so that part isn't an issue. But it wouldn't ever occur to me to drop big bucks on a bike or gun or anything without talking to her first, and especially not with a "gently caress you wife this is who I am" attitude like so many dudes in that adv thread take. Do your life partner's feelings about your common finances really bring about that much resentment? Does it never occur to people that if you act like an adult and respectfully work through a relationship-impacting disagreement, your partner might actually be ok with it and not resent you and bikes forever?

E: That's not directed at you, Professor Bling, just at people who use the stupid loving ball and chain analogy in earnest.

Gotta look cool on the internet.

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
an SO has absolute right to forbid large unnecessary expenditures, what an rear end. probably one of those "well i make the money so I'm spending it" assholes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It's not the reason, it's the method. An ultimatum right out of the gate is never healthy. It should be a discussion about wants and needs first.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
This may be the ranting room slash echo chamber, but I appreciate that my (eventual) wife is fine with me riding motorcycles. While she's ridden a scooter and knows that it's dangerous, she knows I'm an idiot; "Don't tell me about the stupid poo poo you do, and I'll be fine."
She has aknowledged that I might go out for a ride, or just decide to ride to work one day, and end up dead. That is something that she and I know is a possibility. You know what else is a possibility? Sudden death by brain anneurism. A hobo with a knife deciding you're his dog's mortal enemy (seriously, they take better care of their pets than themselves). Getting run over by an inattentive soccer mom in an SUV. poo poo happens. Restricting what you or your loved ones do based on inherent risk is dumb. Everything has some sort of risk. Seriously. [Insert hypothetical here]. I thought I was going to a spa and resport for our fifth anniversary, and the next thing I knew, I was 8,000 feet in the air, jumping out of a plane strapped to a dude named Joel.
She's fighting against "Our kids are totally riding," but she also acknowledged that riding is fun, and agreed to get her MSF at some point (moving and vacations are expensive). Eventually, the youtube vidoes of children on their PW50s will win her over.

In short: do what you love. If someone you're loving hates what you love- gently caress em.

"Dropping big bucks on a bike" and "It's me or the bike" are two different things.
Bolded: It's never about finances. LOL if yout think it's about finanaces.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Professor Bling posted:

it's me or the

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Yeah, Magic repels women too.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I remember freshman year in highschool!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Chichevache posted:

He is choosing to get the motorcycle that will keep him happy and socialized for the rest of his life, not the noisy bitty who contributes nothing but pain and cash drain.

Are you unsatisfied with your current bike Chiche

You can tell us, this is a safe place.

Seriously, people with these attitudes just baffle the poo poo out of me.

Anybody else remember that goon who destroyed his marriage over a soap dispensing shower head?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I goddamn love you marv.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Professor Bling posted:

"Sorry, I can't hear you over the RAW GAY HORSEPOWER OF MY MOTORCYCLE"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

HotCanadianChick posted:

My wife took care of me hand and foot for three months after my crash until I could use my left leg and right hand again, literally wiped my rear end when I poo poo, and since then I've bought two more bikes and never had any arguments over it.
Cycle Asylum: Puts women in their place

Hobolicious
Oct 7, 2012

The military might of a country represents its national strength. Only when it builds up its military might in every way can it develop into a thriving country.

Beach Bum posted:

"Sorry, I can't hear you over the RAW GAY HORSEPOWER OF MY MOTORCYCLE"

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo that ADV thread is gold:

quote:

I never ask if I can buy anything, I'm over 21, and have my own money. I've bought houses before I'd told her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
mods please change my name to "the spousal unit" tia