Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Considering the us is gearing up to resume nuclear testing I'd say anything goes at the point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
The idea of engraving 'Wars begin when you please, but do not end as you will' on a hammer and driving it into a temple or two is startin' to sound real tempting.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I mean, I kinda have my doubts about the article. That's the only source for the quote, it's under the editorial section of the site, and it doesn't even have an author

More on the leak

https://twitter.com/annafifield/status/959589435724652545

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 3, 2018

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

https://twitter.com/PressSec/status/959605605966245888

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Well poo poo, it must be true after all

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Mr. Despair posted:

Well poo poo, it must be true after all

I mean, a lot of the more cynical experts on Asian studies were skeptical about the story to begin with

I absolutely hate Sanders myself, but I really do think the story was just misquoted. And like I said, it didn't have any sources, or even an author

Willo567 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 3, 2018

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Well that settles things

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Thread suggesting the certainty of the quote was unintentionally overblown by translation:

https://twitter.com/oranckay/status/959628422816325632

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This example of DPRK outer-track propaganda is pretty brilliant:

https://twitter.com/hyejinsays/status/959605129807671296

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

lol, the clear statement of someone who has barely ever spoken to any Marines. Half of em want war more than anything on the planet.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonnyc/status/959818117122789376

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Thump! posted:

lol, the clear statement of someone who has barely ever spoken to any Marines. Half of em want war more than anything on the planet.
Someplace green would be a nice change of pace between deployments for Operation Bomb Sand.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I'm not defending Kissenger, but it says that he thinks the temptation is strong, not that he thinks we should do a strike right now. Also

quote:

But in any event, my own thinking, I would be very concerned by any unilateral American war at the borders of China and Russia, in which we are not supported by a significant part of the world, or at least of the Asian world.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Willo567 posted:

I'm not defending Kissenger, but it says that he thinks the temptation is strong, not that he thinks we should do a strike right now.

The point is only a ghoul like Kissinger could think nuclear war and mass death are ‘tempting’

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Chomskyan posted:

The point is only a ghoul like Kissinger could think nuclear war and mass death are ‘tempting’

Friendly reminder that most of the Democratic leadership fellate professional war criminal Henry Kissinger, so the barrel is well beyond spoiled.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's kinda been freaking me out lately, how often I'm seeing liberals swear allegiance to the deep state as a reaction to Trump.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

It's kinda been freaking me out lately, how often I'm seeing liberals swear allegiance to the deep state as a reaction to Trump.

What the hell are you talking about

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
It's kinda been freaking me out lately, how often I'm seeing liberals swear allegiance to Satan as a reaction to Trump.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Horseshoe theory posted:

Friendly reminder that most of the Democratic leadership fellate professional war criminal Henry Kissinger, so the barrel is well beyond spoiled.

Do you need me to pick up my monocle from the floor after revealing that both major parties in the us are packed full of insane warmongers.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Symbolic Butt posted:

It's kinda been freaking me out lately, how often I'm seeing liberals swear allegiance to Satan as a reaction to Trump.

Some of us were hailing satan long before trump started campaigning

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Willo567 posted:

What the hell are you talking about
Unstinting support for the FBI and CIA among liberal Democrats has been a weird off-and-on phenomenon ever since he got off on the wrong foot with the CIA. I'm just talking about the people who have pinned their hopes on an investigation taking down the Trump White House--it's led them down some weird ideological rabbit holes.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

Unstinting support for the FBI and CIA among liberal Democrats has been a weird off-and-on phenomenon ever since he got off on the wrong foot with the CIA. I'm just talking about the people who have pinned their hopes on an investigation taking down the Trump White House--it's led them down some weird ideological rabbit holes.

What does this have to do with the Korea's, aside from stopping their dumbass policy

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Halloween Jack posted:

You're getting twitter madness, I suggest you stop believing twitter to be an accurate reflection of reality.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Mr. Despair posted:

Some of us were hailing satan long before trump started campaigning

same

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Halloween Jack posted:

You do realize that, in any political discussion not focused on pre-Erdogan Turkish politics, you can substitute references to 'the deep state' with 'the Illuminati' without losing any meaning?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
The state is not deep, it just is. I mean, the US( like most western countries) is not a democracy, and most of the departments are stuffed with clueless rich folks who gild their friends and gently caress the people - saying it's a "deep" state implies that something hidden is going on, whereas I would claim it's happening more or less in the open.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
DPRK propaganda still on a roll.

quote:

Kim Jong Un named his sister to represent North Korea at the Winter Olympics in South Korea, a historic visit that raises the drama as world leaders including U.S. Vice President Mike Pence gather for the event.

Kim Yo Jong -- promoted by her brother last year to the ruling party’s political wing -- would be the Kim’s dynasty’s first official representative to set foot in the south. She plans to attend the Friday opening ceremony for the Winter Games in South Korea’s alpine town of Pyeongchang, South Korea’s Unification Ministry said Wednesday.

[...]

Believed to be in her late 20s, Kim Yo Jong shares the same mother as the North Korean leader. Their mother, Ko Yong Hui, was the fourth partner of former North Korean Leader Kim Jong Il.

The pair grew up together in the capital of Pyongyang and attended the same Swiss boarding school, the Yonhap News Agency has reported. Kim Yo Jong’s promotion last year brought her closer to the center of power in the isolated state.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-02-07/kim-s-sister-to-become-first-dynasty-member-to-enter-south-korea

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also worth noting: the big military parade that was hyped up in the U.S. media (and teased to feature a giant parade of missiles) was not carried live; it was rebroadcast. (So no running commentary from media on Twitter, etc., and got buried in the news cycle.) And the North Koreans left out a bunch of missiles they had shown before.

The DPRK channel StimmeKoreas has the parade up, but most of the recent fare focuses on the Olympics and various domestic affairs, with KJU visiting a teacher's college, a pharmaceutical plant and a new type of trolley bus. There's also a video promoting reunification:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i-luaeymy8

^ Note the message. You also have to love the comments from Juche fans who say "resist globalization! Stay homogenous!" Yeah...

--

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 9, 2018

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011
You can see how the presumed North Korean strategy of de-linking South Korea and the US could work (it has a proper name, but I can't think or find it).

The US is being so pig headed and actively trying to push away North Korea when it's making a big overture to the South Koreans surely won't go over well.

Pence skips Olympic dinner with N Koreans in Pyeongchang
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-43003564

Pence, Returning to Tough Stance on North Korea, Announces New Sanctions
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/07/us/politics/pence-north-korea-sanctions.html

mediadave
Sep 8, 2011

mediadave posted:

You can see how the presumed North Korean strategy of de-linking South Korea and the US could work (it has a proper name, but I can't think or find it).

The US is being so pig headed and actively trying to push away North Korea when it's making a big overture to the South Koreans surely won't go over well.

Pence skips Olympic dinner with N Koreans in Pyeongchang
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-43003564

Pence, Returning to Tough Stance on North Korea, Announces New Sanctions
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/07/us/politics/pence-north-korea-sanctions.html

Kim Jong Un's sister shook hands with South Korea's president in a historic show of diplomacy at the Winter Olympics
http://uk.businessinsider.com/kim-jong-uns-sister-greets-south-korea-president-at-winter-olympics-2018-2

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah take a hard line on North Korea or don't, but at least have the same line. Pence looks like a fool.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Yeah take a hard line on North Korea or don't, but at least have the same line. Pence looks like a fool.
How is anyone going to walk away from the Trump administration not looking like a fool? I mean assuming we don't all die.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Samurai Sanders posted:

How is anyone going to walk away from the Trump administration not looking like a fool? I mean assuming we don't all die.

people in and around the nixon admin survived and thrived after nixon. alot of monsters will survive after trump.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Samurai Sanders posted:

What makes you think we're all going to die?

I don't think they're going to end up doing the bloody nose strike. Too many people already know about the plans, and we'd be seeing dependents moved out of South Korea if they were serious

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Willo567 posted:

What makes you think we're all going to die?

I don't think they're going to end up doing the bloody nose strike. Too many people already know about the plans, and we'd be seeing dependents moved out of South Korea if they were serious

The contrast between this post and your avatar is a bit jarring, lol.

I do agree that the bloody nose strike probably won't happen, but "probably" isn't good enough for something like that.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Kim Jong-un is troublesome & is a threat to Japan, a major US trading partner

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/pbump/status/962152607350444033
Her expression reads: "Got him."

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Feb 10, 2018

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
This thread can get like 300 posts whenever there's the vaguest warning of a missile test but just one for the Olympics huh?

anyway a couple of highlights:

nice

and this bird thing's been making the loving rounds. I've seen it mentioned a lot that it comes from Goguryeo, but generally followed up by "but it's probably just a coincidence"--what I haven't seen people notice is that those polka dot dresses the dancers at the back are wearing, and the woman at the front's white fur hanbok are also Goguryeo as hell. It was definitely a conscious statement.

For those that don't know, just who gets to claim the kingdom of Goguryeo is a big controversy between Korea and China; traditionally it's been considered a Korean kingdom, but for a couple of decades the PRC's been pushing it as a Chinese kingdom instead. While I say big, this was mostly a big controversy like 10 years ago, but when better to bring it up again than the Olympics.

Bonus explanation that doesn't concern China so much: while in South Korea normally when people want to harken back to ancient glories or whatever they use a different kingdom, Silla, that one covered very little of North Korea, so from what I've heard North Koreans don't identify it with it that much. Goguryeo on the other hand is much more unifying.

Kind of a niche snippet out of an event that is pretty much wholly a national display of showing off even beyond this but ancient Korea's a big interest of mine and opportunities to bring it up are scarce so yeah

Koramei fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Feb 10, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/962227200476008448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Koramei posted:

This thread can get like 300 posts whenever there's the vaguest warning of a missile test but just one for the Olympics huh?

There's a whole different thread for the regular dose of unfettered corruption we call the Olympics.

Also, it's nominally a thing to do with understanding, tolerance, harmony and good sportsmanship. What place would it have in D&D?

(That Goguryeo thing was pretty interesting though. Top shelf!)