Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yay! Nick and I love the same spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Good soup! posted:

I look at it like the vector where it becomes useful to me in the late game only with an extended mag, otherwise I'm throwing that poo poo away

I, a noted bad at this game, won a squad chicken dinner with zero of our group getting killed, and we had about 9-10 kills. We had 2 VSS + SKS (with 2x), and AKM with 4x.

:shrug: I think it's like the vector, you need an extended mag to really make it sing.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I was duoing with Pleads and he got knocked by some fool on a roof. I shot him until he proned and then ran over to revive my pal. Meanwhile Pleads calmly says "he jumped down behind you" so I turn around and unload M16 bursts into him and he died before he got out of the landing animation.

Then I got killed by his friend because I had to get that delicious loot and we lost. :argh:

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Got my first (duo) dinner yesterday, felt real loving great. Ended on the bumpy fields with hay bales south of Polyana where we shot some dudes and slowly crawled to the middle. Ended with me getting shot, my buddy and another duo alive. One of them was already downed, the other one likely went to try and save him and then the first one bled out and the other one died to the zone. I had 3 first aids and crawled right next to my buddy before croaking so we probs could have taken it even without them loving it up.

(Maybe it's just my friends but)a lot of people seem to be afraid of using the cars, but so far I've died way more due to having to book it on foot and either dying to the circle or at least taking damage from it and having to find a spot to stay at real quick and getting hosed due to that versus taking a vehicle and getting shot while in it. Most people suck at shooting so getting killed or knocked out from a vehicle is pretty rare if you use a bit of sense and try to avoid some clear lines of sight and snake around a bit. And hell, somebody shooting at your vehicle likely means that they'll attract other enemies to come and perhaps gun for them. You'll get hosed by that sniper anyway, doesn't matter whether he sees you crawling or hears your car.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Mauser posted:

My friend insists that we towards the end in duos we find a central one door shack and camp it because he says that's what all the good streamers do. I really hate these stupid huts because you have zero cover when shooting and moving and you're tripping over each other trying to get out and everyone knows you're there. Is he right and I'm wrong or am I right and his strat sucks rear end and I hate it?

https://clips.twitch.tv/HealthyCalmInternTBCheesePull

if you both hide in the shack this can happen

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fargom posted:

How to fuckboi shack campers protect themselves from a single frag thrown in the window? I always considered hiding in these things to be a death wish.

The trick to successfully camp a shack is to always shoot first.

Do you hear a grenade pin? Open the door and kill the dude while he's throwing the grenade.
Is someone approaching and he intends to enter the shack? Kill him.

100% of the people against whom I've played get caught off guard, because they're fully expecting that the shack camper is gonna hide there until the very last second.

Hulebr00670065006e
Apr 20, 2010

Elentor posted:

The trick to successfully camp a shack is to always shoot first.

Do you hear a grenade pin? Open the door and kill the dude while he's throwing the grenade.
Is someone approaching and he intends to enter the shack? Kill him.

100% of the people against whom I've played get caught off guard, because they're fully expecting that the shack camper is gonna hide there until the very last second.

If you are able to open the door and shoot the guy before he is back to his primary I think he is throwing the nade from a bad spot.
Honestly I think you have to spot people and kill them while they approach. When I throw a nade in to a shack it's more to get the camper out of the shed not so much expecting to get him with the nade. When the guy in the shack come bursting out the door you can get the jump on him easily.

Also to the guy earlier asking if people would reck him in this game like it was CS, they will not. The gameplay and gun play in this game is quite different. I get in very few situations where me having played a fair amount of CS helps me much (1pp instead of 3pp might change this a bit though, who knows). I think you will be more than fine in PUBG.

Hulebr00670065006e fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Jun 9, 2017

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
I haven't played many matches but I like to shotgun down those shack doors.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Speaking of shotguns, are they planning to fix the pump shotgun reload -> first left click means I rack a shell into it and die to the second guy I see in the school instead of splattering his brains on the ceiling?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

If you are able to open the door and shoot the guy before he is back to his primary I think he is throwing the nade from a bad spot.
Honestly I think you have to spot people and kill them while they approach. When I throw a nade in to a shack it's more to get the camper out of the shed not so much expecting to get him with the nade. When the guy in the shack come bursting out the door you can get the jump on him easily.

Also to the guy earlier asking if people would reck him in this game like it was CS, they will not. The gameplay and gun play in this game is quite different. I get in very few situations where me having played a fair amount of CS helps me much (1pp instead of 3pp might change this a bit though, who knows). I think you will be more than fine in PUBG.

My point is not to wait enough to die. You just adapt that to whatever situation you're in instead of sitting in the shack passively.

ngreasy
Aug 1, 2007
laksjdfkljle

aniviron posted:

Frying pan blocking bullets is fine and all but why the gently caress does the machete not do the same thing then? I get that the crowbar and sickle are small enough to not really be useful for that but if they're gonna bother doing bullet blocking with the pan might as well go the whole way instead of having just one useful melee weapon.

This is actually a super great idea and if you get ninja enough to block/deflect with these thin weapons you should be rewarded

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Pleads posted:

I do not like this VSS, no sirree.

Yeah it seems like it's pretty much only good if you can come up on someone completely unawares and unarmored because as soon as they start moving it's all over for the VSS. The power is low and the scope is obnoxious so it's super situational.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Inspector_666 posted:

CS is pretty much all twitch, whereas Battlefield rewards flanking and some modicum of tactical thinking even if just by virtue of the maps being non-linear (for the most part.)

Battlegrounds definitely leans more heavily on the Battlefield set of skills.
Got it based on this post. Doing pretty well. Thanks Inspector!

My third round I got four kills by sneaking up on people and blasting them with a shotgun before they saw me. Ended in fifth place in solo! I thought it was illegal to have shotguns in a video game which are lethal more than five feet away? Has no one told the devs?

My lack of supreme twitch skills has not been a real impediment to me.

I played with a buddy last night. We set our selves up near the center of the map such that he was in an obvious hiding spot and would fire shots to attract people, but stay in cover. I was hidden behind a blind corner across from the entrance to the building he was in such that people would try to enter the building, never imagine I was there and promptly be blasted.

I really like this game.

Diogines fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 9, 2017

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Hulebr00670065006e posted:

That was me. Really liking this game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Literally shaking. I guess I should have stood up sooner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft8uzYddZuU

But sometimes when you die the game drops a phat beat for you https://streamable.com/gwqnu

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Got a 5 kill squad chicken dinner last night, I rocked an M416 the whole game and it was real good, but then again I had an AFG, 4x, 8x, and suppressor, so I probably could have used anything and enjoyed it with that loadout.

Also avoided the temptation to shack up in a house in the last couple of circles, which probably is why we won. Dare I say I felt like I was actually good at the game for a round?!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jun 9, 2017

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Yodzilla posted:

Literally shaking. I guess I should have stood up sooner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ft8uzYddZuU

But sometimes when you die the game drops a phat beat for you https://streamable.com/gwqnu

that was pretty great, I won a solo in a similar situation where I had no health and no idea where the guy was and was considering just laying there and healing and then said gently caress it and popped up and shot him. So hard to make the "right" decision in the end circles

Inspector_666 posted:

Got a 5 kill squad chicken dinner last night, I rocked an M416 the whole game and it was real good, but then again I had an AFG, 4x, 8x, and suppressor, so I probably could have used anything and enjoyed it with that loadout.

Also avoided the temptation to shack up in a house in the last couple of circles, which probably is why we won. Dare I say I felt like I was actually good at the game for a round?!

My first reaction when its near the end and someone says "theres a shack/building, lets hide in it!" is "wait what?! why?". What a bad, boring way to play

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

I don't really have an opinion on shack hiding one way or the other but I am very puzzled by the number of people who will park their car right next to the shack they're hiding in. That doesn't seem like a good plan under any circumstances.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
How the gently caress do you fight your way out of a shack is my question every time

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I don't really have an opinion on shack hiding one way or the other but I am very puzzled by the number of people who will park their car right next to the shack they're hiding in. That doesn't seem like a good plan under any circumstances.

The risk involved in attacking a shack is pretty high. I feel like it's 50/50 on whether or not your squad will win and may not be worth the trouble.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

How the gently caress do you fight your way out of a shack is my question every time

the best way to shack is to find two shacks within sight of each other and cover each other

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

7 smoke grenades.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Elentor posted:

7 smoke grenades.

Not like it wouldn't be hard to gather these either, let's be honest.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Elentor posted:

7 smoke grenades.

True. I just throw them towards gunfire in the final circles and hope it pulls attention away from me.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the best way to shack is to find two shacks within sight of each other and cover each other

What color is the boathouse at hereford?!
https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-07-2015/fF3P4e.mp4

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Are molotovs super rare as of a recent patch? I can't remember the last time I saw one spawn or even had one thrown at me.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

True. I just throw them towards gunfire in the final circles and hope it pulls attention away from me.

[gif]https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-07-2015/fF3P4e.mp4[/gif]

My number one tactic when I have to swim to sosnovka is to wait until someone else does it too, toss a smoke grenade towards them and run away the other way. I'm 4/4 with that, both in escaping the beach run alive and in having the other guy successfully assassinated.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

Soooooo close. I found an AR suppressor in the first house I hit, but only an S1987 for weaponry. Headed to another group of houses, domed a guy, took his SCAR and it was off to the races. Got down to a very small circle in a very open field, and just straight up missed the last guy when he revealed himself :(

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Yodzilla posted:

Are molotovs super rare as of a recent patch? I can't remember the last time I saw one spawn or even had one thrown at me.

I have 50+ hours in the game now and I don't think I've seen a single person throw a molotov.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

I've found about 5-10 since the last patch in ~100-150 games. I've never seen one thrown, I have tried to throw one and had it stick to my hand and blow me up. Underhand?! Overhand?! Which way am I going to throw it?!

Neither!

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
A cool use for molotovs would be if they could burn up tall grass/wheat. That way if you know someone is prone you can smoke them out.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

PantsBandit posted:

A cool use for molotovs would be if they could burn up tall grass/wheat. That way if you know someone is prone you can smoke them out.

or if you threw them at a car the car would stay on fire

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

The worse the weapon, the more satisfying the kill. I think that's PUBG's definition of balance.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

https://i.makeagif.com/media/9-07-2015/fF3P4e.mp4

I just wanted you to know, I appreciated this reference.

MerrMan
Aug 3, 2003

Got my first win of Season 2 last night. 10 kills! My first double digit win, I think my previous best was 7.

My loadout for most of the match was an SKS with an 8x and a suppressed UMP. The SKS feels really good with the compensator on it. Without it, maybe not so much - that thing kicks like a mule.

The real MVP was the UMP, though. I think people sleep on this thing, especially at mid range. It struggles a bit against the level 3 vest, you've got to pour a bunch of bullets in to someone but the fire rate is good and the recoil is very low. The silencer is obviously the real star. I debated replacing the suppressed UMP with a SCAR + compensator but I'm glad I stuck with the silenced option.

The later circles were centered on a group of about 5 houses. I just stayed prone in a field and let the idiots duke it out from like ~15 alive down to 5 alive. Got a couple pretty generous circles and then clinched it shooting at a dude in the blue. Felt real good, this game is a Good Game.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

I have 50+ hours in the game now and I don't think I've seen a single person throw a molotov.

Problem with molotovs is the wind up to toss is way longer than any other grenade.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I had a friend get in a fire fight with a guy who just killed me. I'm spectating him and it's early game. Tried to switch to his pistol and switches to the molly. Throws it and misses the guy. Finally gets his gun out after somehow not already being killed by the other guy with a pistol. Finally somehow manages to shoot the guy and then proceeds to walk though his own molly and die.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
After the wipe I have just gotten complete poo poo. Still haven't had a win after like 100 rounds... I am just going to blame it on playing with goons.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Shack kid afraid to leave his shack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Once you realize that generally no one is around you and its actually fine to run across open fields and hiding in a tiny room isn't fun you'll start having a lot more fun (finding guys to trade your bullet collections with)

• Locked thread