Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Endorph posted:

if theyre reworking summoner (and theyve all but said they are) theres no reason why they wouldnt rework scholar at the same time, especially since the healer role overall seems like one of their main focuses this expansion. i really dont have the pessimism that theyll just bury scholar completely in favor of sage. tanks were one of the main focuses of shadowbringers and every tank ended up in a pretty good place. warrior's got some jank stat priority wise but it plays totally fine.

And TBF WAR's stat priority is only really an issue if you're swapping tank classes a lot when doing EX/Savage prog/farm, which I don't think is a large amount of people. It's pretty annoying for those that do tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Chillgamesh posted:

Yeah I have a feeling it's gonna be SGE : SCH :: WHM : AST. This solves two problems, too, since iirc they said Sage and Scholar shields wouldn't stack; If Scholar has a ton of buffs to give it won't feel quite as bad that you're losing healing if you have a Sage and Scholar in the same group, and MSQ/Alliance Raid content is never going to be difficult enough that you're going to die because you didn't have the extra healing.

Personally, Scholar was by far my least favorite healer to play so I wouldn't mind if it changed dramatically, no disrespect to any SCH mains.

As a SCH main, no disrespect taken, because I also wouldn't mind if it changed dramatically.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
My prediction is they're working along two axes for the four healers. There's the stated pure/shield healer divide, but also a secondary personal dps/party dps divide. WHM is pure/personal, AST will be pure/party. Sage and Scholar will be the shield healers, but which one focuses on personal dps and which has more party boosting could flip. SCH already has Chain Stratagem, but that's not much to write home about.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Aren't they changing roulettes to split by regen/shield healer role so you dont get sage+sch in one group?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

aers posted:

Aren't they changing roulettes to split by regen/shield healer role so you dont get sage+sch in one group?

It’s gonna be a stealth weighting thing, iirc, like how they always try to weight roulette selections to have a balance between ranged/magic and melee dps. The game will try to place healers in such a way to avoid redundancy but it’s not gonna make people wait extra time if possible just to ensure that balance.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blockhouse posted:

There's got to be more to it than just the surface, at the very least. They aren't going to have a bunch of characters loudly standing around talking about how weird that was and then it turn out to not really be weird at all.
My guess is that there will turn out to be some kind of geas on "the Levellieur family," one way or another, which would have either interfered hugely with an investigation or which might have literally brain clamped our son and daughter here.

But it does not effect Alisaie Facestabber and Alphinaud Carbunclewrangler.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I think you mean Alisaie and Alphinaud Vremaix.

because my wol adopted both of them

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
With the fact he's picking up Sage in Endwalker, his new name is clearly Alphinaud Ray.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Cleretic posted:

With the fact he's picking up Sage in Endwalker, his new name is clearly Alphinaud Ray.

drat, RIP Alphinaud's dad then.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ibblebibble posted:

drat, RIP Alphinaud's dad then.

Good

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nessus posted:

My guess is that there will turn out to be some kind of geas on "the Levellieur family," one way or another, which would have either interfered hugely with an investigation or which might have literally brain clamped our son and daughter here.

But it does not effect Alisaie Facestabber and Alphinaud Carbunclewrangler.

Yea it may be an artifact of Japanese writing but I also felt his emphasis on 'you no longer have the Levellieur name' in that was setup for some EW reveal that somehow the family is being bound

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
My guess is that they were disowned to give them greater political autonomy but who knows

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Y'know, it all makes sense now. Tem Rey, just like Forteteterete Levillieur, was an intellectual who, while very smart, was absolutely terrible with his kids.

Also he got sucked out an airlock, suffered from oxygen deprivation and eventually died by falling down a flight of stairs.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

sexpig by night posted:

Yea it may be an artifact of Japanese writing but I also felt his emphasis on 'you no longer have the Levellieur name' in that was setup for some EW reveal that somehow the family is being bound
Dude was also pretty cheerful coming in and left immediately thereafter. Like, part of why he came off like such a dickhead is that he had an abrupt step-change in his behavior in the middle of the meeting.

If he'd come in formal and reserved? Different story. Or if he'd acted shocked at the Eorzeans making a pitch. But he had to have had a pretty good idea of what he was about to be asked.

Either he was compelled or he was doing something on purpose, although even if it turned out to be some kind of end run evasion around a geas he still deserves an rear end kicking.

SirSamVimes posted:

I think you mean Alisaie and Alphinaud Vremaix.

because my wol adopted both of them
Alisaie certainly, but surely the Chais have claim on Alph

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Alphinaud Wyrmblood

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nessus posted:

Dude was also pretty cheerful coming in and left immediately thereafter. Like, part of why he came off like such a dickhead is that he had an abrupt step-change in his behavior in the middle of the meeting.

If he'd come in formal and reserved? Different story. Or if he'd acted shocked at the Eorzeans making a pitch. But he had to have had a pretty good idea of what he was about to be asked.

Either he was compelled or he was doing something on purpose, although even if it turned out to be some kind of end run evasion around a geas he still deserves an rear end kicking.

Alisaie certainly, but surely the Chais have claim on Alph

yea him going from normal to 'you are no longer my family' and the reports of Sharlayans stonewalling anyone who talks to them speak to something sinister beyond the obvious 'you assholes are gonna leave us to die' angle. Big 'there is no war in Ba Sing Sae' energy.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Endorph posted:

if theyre reworking summoner (and theyve all but said they are) theres no reason why they wouldnt rework scholar at the same time, especially since the healer role overall seems like one of their main focuses this expansion. i really dont have the pessimism that theyll just bury scholar completely in favor of sage. tanks were one of the main focuses of shadowbringers and every tank ended up in a pretty good place. warrior's got some jank stat priority wise but it plays totally fine.

They massacred dark knight and ruined drat near everything I loved about it. Gunbringer mostly picks up the slack, but I loved SB drk and the one one just feels so drat boring.

Also give the Butcher's Block animation back to warriors drat it. It's way cooler than Storm's Path.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think y'all need to prepare for the roughly 99% possibility that Endwalker ends with the twins and Fourchenault reconciling.

Already dreading the discourse.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Blockhouse posted:

I think y'all need to prepare for the roughly 99% possibility that Endwalker ends with the twins and Fourchenault reconciling.

Hush they are our children!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

I have a bad feeling it's going to turn out all along that Daddy Levillieur was only being an rear end in a top hat to protect Alphinaud and Alisaie from some terrible secret or to spurn them on to achieve something he could not and they'll reconcile as he sacrifices himself for them and it's going to suck

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

multijoe posted:

I have a bad feeling it's going to turn out all along that Daddy Levillieur was only being an rear end in a top hat to protect Alphinaud and Alisaie from some terrible secret or to spurn them on to achieve something he could not and they'll reconcile as he sacrifices himself for them and it's going to suck

He's gonna die, and it's gonna feel sweet, but at the last second we'll get an echo that tells us that he was actually protecting them all along.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

multijoe posted:

this is the most logical outcome and with the "wow it was really weird that he did that!" stuff I feel like it's obvious enough to anyone that that's the set-up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the writing will be good because this games writing has generally been good and its weird to get pessimistic about something we have like two seconds of setup to work off of.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Endorph posted:

i think the writing will be good because this games writing has generally been good and its weird to get pessimistic about something we have like two seconds of setup to work off of.

Yeah, agreed. Not being pessimistic just saying that this is probably where they're going with this and people probably shouldn't get too deep into their Fourchenault revenge fantasies.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean i doubt the game will go full 'he did literally nothign wrong' either but the game also never really indulges revenge fantasies so of course it wont go that direction.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Blockhouse posted:

I'm teasing my one friend because all through Shadowbringers, she was doing the whole tsundere thing with Emet-Selch. Just endless "God I hate him, I just want to slap him." and then the instant he died, it was a full 180 to "Oh god, I miss him, I loved him so much."

As of this moment, she hates Dadphinaud with a passion, so I keep assuring her that she'll be eating out of his hand by the end of EW.

But yeah, you know something is going to happen to redeem him or otherwise put him into a positive light.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

there's gonna be more going on with daddy leveillieur, and it's most likely gonna end with him and his kids reconciling. but even with the angle that he has more information than his kids there's still the fact he had the same problem with his own dad who he never had a good rebuttal against grampa's "it's actually good to help people not die horribly" stance

odds are the dad will get owned and then mend his ways, as is custom in jrpgs

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I'm really looking forward to meeting the twins' mother.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Papa Leveilleur dies and you get an Echo flashback.

...it's just Emet-Selch looking at you saying "sometimes dads are just terrible people."

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bruceski posted:

Papa Leveilleur dies and you get an Echo flashback.

...it's just Emet-Selch looking at you saying "sometimes dads are just terrible people."

Honestly? Personally, I kinda hope it is really that simple, that Dadphinaud is just a prick because he's from Sharlayan and Sharlayans are predisposed to being arrogant dicks.
I don't believe for a moment that it's going to shake out that way, but, it's sorta what I'm hoping.
No deep dark secret, they're all just a bunch of assholes who want to keep their lessers away from their bomb shelter.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I pronounce Sharlayan like an Aussie says “Charlene” and I don’t know if I’ve been doing it wrong

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It sounds just how it looks. Shar Lay An.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

jokes posted:

I pronounce Sharlayan like an Aussie says “Charlene” and I don’t know if I’ve been doing it wrong

When Y'shtola says it during the trailer, it sounds like she's saying "Shar-Lee-In"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I pronounce it like the son of Zeon Zum Deikun is taking a nap.

Char layin'.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Blockhouse posted:

dad ascian so what

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

dad ascian so what

The Maker's Ruin intensifies

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I do agree it'd be really funny if there was no twist or ploy or whatever and papa L was just an rear end in a top hat who's weird and antisocial and that's why his announcement was so odd.

"Oh, no we didn't find that strange, dad's just loving terrible at talking to people."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, to me it just read like a fancy fantasy way of saying "Listen kids, I know better than you and you're too much like your grandfather. If you won't take my counsel, then so be it, you're on your own." And then it's an arc about teaching your centrist dad that better things are possible actually

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I'd much prefer it being "I'm kicking you out to give you free reign to do whatever/to protect you"

e: however

FAUXTON posted:

dad ascian so what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea just as a storyline thing I'd rather it be the 'good' route of 'I had to be an rear end in a top hat to protect you' but I'm willing to entertain

FAUXTON posted:

dad ascian so what