Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
If I’m serving a salad with a meal, it’s meant to be eaten with the meal. It’ll be finely chopped veggies with lemon juice, fresh herbs, and salt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Greens based salads are great served off a plate that previously had pasta+marinara.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

lol glad I could provide the thread title. Just finished a slice of meatloaf not 2 minutes ago

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
meatloaf is goated

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I have never eaten meatloaf, I really need to connect with it before I can reconnect

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I have never eaten meatloaf, I really need to connect with it before I can reconnect

Same. Can’t say it’s on my food bucket list

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

therattle posted:

Same. Can’t say it’s on my food bucket list

It's an orthagonal transformation of a plate of meatballs. Miss it or don't, life's too short to argue about forcemeat.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Meatloaf is one of those dishes where the range is really wide. Terrible or excellent, with a very big mediocre range in the middle.

That said I'm not american and that may affect things.

I've had very excellent meatloaf that's been sliced and then broiled so its crispy.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

meatloaf is great, but i prefer their more diminutive cousin, the meat ball. i made some ground turkey meatballs last week that came out really tender. i was super surprised!

hamloaf can suck my dick from the back, though. hamloaf: you know what you did! you're why i don't even eat ham 'til this day!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Ham glob ...

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Yeah, no snobbery against meatloaf is allowed if you make meatballs. Same thing, different shape.
Meatloaf can be delicious and finely flavored, you don't HAVE to douse it ketchup.

I made a great loaf two weeks ago with some venison someone gifted me. Since it was preground, I couldn't grind it up with some fatty pork (the usual solution for ground venison), so I just added some strained pork grease.
Yummy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jyrraeth posted:

Meatloaf is one of those dishes where the range is really wide. Terrible or excellent, with a very big mediocre range in the middle.

That said I'm not american and that may affect things.

I've had very excellent meatloaf that's been sliced and then broiled so its crispy.

Yeah. I think the reason I've been enjoying it lately is that I grew up with bad to mid meatloaf and also made it myself for a while. it's one of those things that is only a handful of ingredients so anyone can make it easily, but too much bread, too little bread, too many eggs, not mixing meats can just end up with an end result that you just want to slather in ketchup and choke down. I would say most meatloafs aren't very good. If you get it right though it's fantastic. it's tender and juicy and springy. Make some gravy out of the drippings, delicious.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Cold meatloaf sandwich is something I love.

Ate a lot of it growing up. My mom learned to cook in the late 50s and it's cheap - especially if you stretch it with a fair amount of breadcrumbs. I do like the classic topped with Heinz Chili sauce.

Next two days are GI prep, no solid food until after a procedure at 1pm on Monday. Broth, juice and jello. I will miss food. :(

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
A good meatloaf is amazing but yes, meatloaf sandwiches are :discourse:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Arkhamina posted:

stretch it with a fair amount of breadcrumbs.

Actually, I like using whole oats. It gives it a sort of gelatinous texture that I like, and it absorbs a lot of grease. The first time I made it with oats was back in college, I used the recipe printed on the can of Quaker Oats.

Arkhamina posted:

Next two days are GI prep, no solid food until after a procedure at 1pm on Monday. Broth, juice and jello. I will miss food. :(

Did this last month, it was awful. Even worse for me was the three days of "low residue" eating that preceded it: no raw fruits or veggies, no whole grains, basically no fiber.
That sucked. I had almost nothing in my house that met that standard, except for cottage cheese.

EDIT:
No loving seeds! I never realized how many/how often I eat seeds until I wasn't allowed to eat them.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

According to Quaker, their loaf is PRIZE WINNING

Pretty sure this is the same recipe as it was 30 years ago.
If you make this, use a thermometer. Cook time will vary based on your pan, but 60 minutes is most likely over cooked.

QuakerOats Prize-Winning Meatloaf

8 Servings
60 minutes Cook Time

Cozy up with this classic weeknight dish for a hearty family favorite. Prize-Winning Meatloaf is an oatmeal meatloaf recipe that is juicy, tender, and a perfect go-to dish you can make in less than an hour’s time.

Ingredients

1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup tomato juice or tomato sauce
3/4 cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 egg or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

mystes
May 31, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

According to Quaker, their loaf is PRIZE WINNING

Pretty sure this is the same recipe as it was 30 years ago.
If you make this, use a thermometer. Cook time will vary based on your pan, but 60 minutes is most likely over cooked.

QuakerOats Prize-Winning Meatloaf

8 Servings
60 minutes Cook Time

Cozy up with this classic weeknight dish for a hearty family favorite. Prize-Winning Meatloaf is an oatmeal meatloaf recipe that is juicy, tender, and a perfect go-to dish you can make in less than an hour’s time.

Ingredients

1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup tomato juice or tomato sauce
3/4 cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 egg or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
1/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Prize winning*

*: Won the JD Powers award for best oat-based meatloaf in 1963

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Yeah, trying to do low fiber is HARD. In my immediate crew we have two celiacs (I am one), a person with Crohn's, a person with diverticulitis, a person who has some incredible low salt diet, and a person who can't do fatty anything (gallbladder?) I am used to looking out for seeds, and separating all the meat from vegetables with dishes. Honestly low salt lady is hardest.

I was digging through the cupboards and found a big pack of red quinoa, ironically.

Anyone have grand suggestions for that? Quinoa taboulli is a thing I like, but I have hosed other dishes with it pretty regularly. Bland or squishy or conversely always grit-centered.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Arkhamina posted:

Yeah, trying to do low fiber is HARD. In my immediate crew we have two celiacs (I am one), a person with Crohn's, a person with diverticulitis, a person who has some incredible low salt diet, and a person who can't do fatty anything (gallbladder?) I am used to looking out for seeds, and separating all the meat from vegetables with dishes. Honestly low salt lady is hardest.

is your crew in a nursing home?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Nope, just a bunch of gamers in the Midwest. I am the oldest, too at 46.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’m just joking around. I have a lot of vegan friends so I know your pain.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
the peruvian cashier at the peruvian grocery store next to me recommends it atamalada, or tamale-fied. what that entails is 4 part broth 1 part quinoa on a onion-garlic-and-aji-amarillo-paste sofrito. 4 : 1 broth instead of 2 : 1, which is the generic normal quinoa, means its sort of a soupier thing. cooks like risotto, basically. garnish w/ cumin and parsley

also, quinoa is a protein, you eat it with rice. this is where the conversation weirdly and suddenly veered into alberto fujimori's death squads

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 12, 2024

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

quinoa is a protein, you eat it with rice. this is where the conversation weirdly and suddenly veered into alberto fujimori's death squads

e: (not to be a dick, this came up in a recent conversation about making whiskey in the US) quinoa is a psuedo-cereal, high in protein but most of its caloric value comes from carbohydrates. You can eat it with whatever you want, please do not violently suppress indigenous groups, it's considered bad manners

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

bloody ghost titty posted:

please do not violently suppress indigenous groups, it's considered bad manners

Errrrrr, I don’t know where you’re from, but where I live, suppressing indigenous groups is pretty much the highest society best manners you can possibly have

:britain:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
the local really good produce store is selling muscat grapes for 99c a pound. I'm gonna buy a ton and freeze them for delicious grapesicles later in the season. :swoon:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Leraika posted:

the local really good produce store is selling muscat grapes for 99c a pound. I'm gonna buy a ton and freeze them for delicious grapesicles later in the season. :swoon:

Yes! I recently bought some, having never tried them before, and we also freeze them. Partly to prefer a but mostly
Because frozen grapes are great. They also make great munchies food.

Muscats are so sweet that they don’t need it but freezing grapes (ideally halved if you can be arsed) with a bit of sugar and lemon juice is also good.

therattle fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 12, 2024

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I can't believe I have to ask this again but for the last time, GWS, violent suppression of indigenous groups is against site rules.

therattle posted:

Because frozen grapes are great. They also make great munchies food.

Frozen grapes are terrific, I love them in the summer.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I had completely forgotten how much I love frozen grapes, thanks all for the reminder!

They are the absolute best way to rapidly chill room-temperature white wine. You get nice cold wine plus a delicious snack at the bottom of the glass.

franco
Jan 3, 2003
Android Paprika (the app) users: does it auto-rotate into landscape mode for you? I swear mine used to but it isn't now. I thought it might just be the old sim-less phone I keep in the kitchen being cranky but I checked on my main one and it's the same. Very annoying as that's the orientation the case props it up in. Everything else rotates just fine :confused:

Edit: Well from some digging it looks like the Android phone version only does portrait and iPhone allows either. Strange, but working as intended. I must've been thinking of when I used to use an old iPad Mini and could do both.

franco fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 15, 2024

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Here we go AGAIN.

Is a Taco a Sandwich? No. Yes. Well, It Depends on the Law.
An Indiana judge recently ruled that tacos are sandwiches, but that’s the wrong question.

https://archive.ph/r1beJ

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
While I am deeply loathe to “hand it to”
Indiana, the judge calling the bluff of “oh but the covenant won’t let us rent to Mexicans” deserved to be done, and making the internet mad was a beneficial knock on.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Anyone have a coleslaw recipe they really like? I've had some good ones and never really managed to replicate it at home, it usually winds up being way too mayo heavy.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Here's a slaw that is not mayo heavy:

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon finely minced garlic
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon celery seeds

1 large head green cabbage (about 3 1/2 pounds), finely shredded on a mandolin or by hand
1 large carrot, peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
1 medium yellow onion, finely sliced on a mandolin or by hand
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup kosher salt

Whisk together vinegar, sugar, oil, garlic, black pepper, and celery seeds in small bowl.

Combine cabbage, carrot, and onion in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and salt and toss to combine. Let stand five minutes, then transfer to a large colander and rinse thoroughly under cold running water.

Transfer vegetables to a salad spinner and spin dry. Alternatively, transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet lined with a triple layer of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel and blot mixture dry with more towels. Return to large bowl.

Pour dressing over vegetables and toss to coat. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper, and/or sugar.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TheCog posted:

Anyone have a coleslaw recipe they really like? I've had some good ones and never really managed to replicate it at home, it usually winds up being way too mayo heavy.

It’s not a recipe per se as I do it by eye but mixing plain yoghurt and mayo about 60:40 works really well. Add a splash of vinegar (not too much as there is some tang from the yoghurt - plus creaminess), mustard, S&P, and you’re golden.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Vinegar based coleslaw is supreme in our house.

We use a head of green and 1/3-1/2 a head of red cabbage and it makes so much fuckin slaw.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Michoacan style is my default. Cabbage, carrot, salt, lime juice, green onion. Cilantro and crushed Pequin chiles to taste. Jalapeno or serrano slivers work as well.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
I had a reeeally good version of it at a Mediterranean place once that used lemon juice and olive oil; I don't normally care much for coleslaw, but it was super refreshing. Haven't tried recreating it at home, but this looks like it's in the right ballpark.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I usually just do it by taste.

Personally for me I don’t put in sugar and use enough finely grated carrot (like microplane or at most the finest box grater you’ve got) to add sweetness.

Your coleslaw should end up looking slightly orange since you added a bunch of grated carrot.

Then add enough mayo to get the consistency/flavor. Just kinda dish out a few spoons and mix, taste a bit and add more if needed etc. You can splash a bit of vinegar in to taste. Also salt if you’re a salt fiend like me.

Also add some:

Allium. Green onion is best. Very finely sliced onion that’s been soaked in salty water also good. Shallots good too.

Herbs and seasonings. gently caress it I just add a bit of dried herbs to my liking and a bit of black pepper.

You can also go wild and do beets instead of carrots, gives a nice purple color.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Here's something that has been bothering me lately -

is there a meaningful difference between "scallion" and "green onion" and "spring onion"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

CommonShore posted:

Here's something that has been bothering me lately -

is there a meaningful difference between "scallion" and "green onion" and "spring onion"?
Not really. They're all common names for non-bulb-forming alliums from a couple of species.

Like with all common names there will be regional variations in the preferred term and the most common cultivar(s) it refers to. And I wouldn't be surprised if there's some loving place where some narrow distinction is carefully observed. But in general nah, the terms are interchangeable.