Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

This is cool, but

https://twitter.com/AntonovCompany/status/1242851804402122754

as badly as Ukranian stuff has been hacked the past decade, I wouldn't send anything valuable with that plane for the next year or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I'm somewhat surprised the Ukraine even has the ability to do that right now considering they're basically in a war.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

slidebite posted:

I'm somewhat surprised the Ukraine even has the ability to do that right now considering they're basically in a war.

Just that they'd bother doing this, or that Ukraine has the capacity?

The An-225 is a symbol of national pride, so it definitely makes sense from that angle.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

smackfu posted:

From this article about American dealing with things:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/25/business/coronavirus-american-airlines.html

I’ve driven through Roswell, I was surprised to see it on the list but I guess it used to have an Air Force base. (Also surprised it actually has American flights from DFW and PHX, that would have saved us a lot of driving when we went to Carlsbad Caverns.)

GSO is chock full of ramp space and there's a huge useless parallel 10k foot bondoggle of a runway that i am sure they are parking planes on

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

A classic. I believe last time I saw this, the story also came out that there was a modification to the engine, and someone had specifically warned that the front would fall off but the owner ignored that advice.

According to the description in this video, a larger engine was installed against the manufacturer's recommendation, and with no additional reinforcement. The owner has very wisely decided to retain the non-recommended engine but with additional reinforcement so he can keep on Jerrying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC5yscm9dsI

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Nebakenezzer posted:

The An-225 is a symbol of national pride, so it definitely makes sense from that angle.

All the more reason it's shocking it hasn't been sabotaged yet.

I mean, Russia has used CBW *twice* in the UK now and there haven't been any meaningful repercussions.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I mean, Russia has used CBW *twice* in the UK now and there haven't been any meaningful repercussions.

Shot down a 777, too. No one really believes that was an accident, do they?

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

FuturePastNow posted:

Shot down a 777, too. No one really believes that was an accident, do they?

The explanation that makes the most sense to me is that they thought they were shooting down a military transport. Massively incompetent but not mustache twirling evil.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The explanation that makes the most sense to me is that they thought they were shooting down a military transport. Massively incompetent but not mustache twirling evil.

Denying it/blaming others is

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

goatsestretchgoals posted:

The people pulling the trigger made a mistake. The mustache-twirling evil came immediately after when the Russians were all "welp, that's OK, I think we can use this"

Compare it to the shootdown of that Korean 747 in the 1980s where the whole thing was a tragic mistake. The Russians gave half trained people SAMs, knowing this could happen and didn't give a poo poo when it did.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well what's Britain gonna do, make Bojo act stern in front of a camera? Ukraine, on the other hand, would blow up the trans-Siberian pipeline or something

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Didn't they drive the SAM over the border into Ukraine specifically to try to false flag it, then scurry back?

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

NTSB report on Nine-O-Nine is out

Collings hosed up so bad that they no longer are allowed to carry pax. This is frustrating and infuriating

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Holy poo poo.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
oooooof. ima just pull some key lines from the report here

quote:

the evidence indicates that Collings did not train the crew chief who was onboard the B-17G that was involved in the accident on October 2, 2019. ... In an interview with the FAA on March 2, 2020, the crew chief verified that he received no initial training and was unaware of basic information concerning operations under the exemption. Instead, he only received on-the-job training

notable maintenance discrepancies existed with the B-17G, yet the Collings Director of Maintenance signed inspection records—dated as recently as September 23, 2019—indicating no findings of discrepancies. No records or evidence of the completion of periodic audits exist with regard to this aircraft. In addition, the pilot in command of the B-17G was also the Director of Maintenance; as a result, Collings did not have a structure to ensure adequate oversight of his decisions to conduct passenger-carrying operations

Regarding engine 4, to prevent the magneto “P” leads from separating from the magnetos, someone had attempted to rig the magneto leads in place with safety wire. Inspection and testing of engine 4 left magneto revealed the movement of the safety-wired lead caused grounding to the case, which rendered the magneto lead inoperative.

In addition, the right magneto of engine 4 was found unserviceable. The cam follower was worn beyond limits and the point gap was less than half the measurement required by service documents. When tested, the magneto produced weak or no spark to four of the nine cylinders.

All spark plugs were inspected and required cleaning and all electrode gaps were out of tolerance; therefore, further engine inspection indicated signs of detonation and associated damage

An inspection of engine 3 showed all spark plugs electrode gaps were out of tolerance, fouled, and revealed various signs of detonation. Further inspection of this engine revealed problems with the cylinders.

maintenance records indicate the removal of wires and no further repairs or adjustments, even though a wire was burned and arcing. ... The same record, as well as a record from the following day, indicates flights with passengers occurred in the aircraft.

bunch of idiot cowboys

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Spaced God posted:

Collings hosed up so bad that they no longer are allowed to carry pax. This is frustrating and infuriating

Holy poo poo

I flew on Nine-O-Nine about a year before the crash.

I don't know how to even think about this now.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Now I’m glad I didn’t pony up for a ride when they were in town

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

drunkill posted:

I saw a very good plane today while having lunch next to an airport

Is there a separate license category for low-res aviation or is it just lumped in to Sport Pilot?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Spaced God posted:

Spicy. Everyone else who flies warbirds for anything is going to get microscoped for this.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

I've done a lot of work with Collings at airshows and events growing up and reading that report made me so loving mad. I put my friends on those loving airplanes and they trusted me. Jesus loving christ.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Spaced God posted:

I think that "safety culture" would've been bad even for the correct era for the aircraft

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

simplefish posted:

Didn't they drive the SAM over the border into Ukraine specifically to try to false flag it, then scurry back?
Don't forget photoshopping a Ukraine Sue shooting it down in a "satellite" image.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

slidebite posted:

Don't forget photoshopping a Ukraine Sue shooting it down in a "satellite" image.

and loving up all concepts of scale in the process

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

simplefish posted:

No, merely to support the invasion they claimed they weren't doing.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Spaced God posted:

That's infuriating. I've always thought flying museum guys did everything top notch, but thinking about it I don't know why I had that impression.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I would have too. It's an easy assumption to transfer someones passion and dedication to these old warbirds translates into being anal about safety and and everything else and not suffer from the amateur "Whelp, that should be good enough :shrug:" that so many have.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Spark plugs and magnetos. Jesus.

I can't remember exactly but IIRC spark plugs were pulled very frequently as part of contemporary regular maintenance on these radials. They leak oil like a sieve, and every start drowns most of the cylinders in raw fuel until warm-up is complete.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

slidebite posted:

I would have too. It's an easy assumption to transfer someones passion and dedication to these old warbirds translates into being anal about safety and and everything else and not suffer from the amateur "Whelp, that should be good enough :shrug:" that so many have.

the people working on these machines are usually passionate about keeping the machine running

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Just passing this along in case some of y'all havn't seen it. I'd say something aviation related will come up every week.

Pharohman777 posted:

https://ospreypublishing.com/blog/Free_eBooks_week_1/

Osprey publishing is offering 5 free ebooks this week due to the coronavirus.

They are:
US Marine vs Japanese Infantryman
Bf 109E/F vs Yak-1/7
Sassanian Elite Cavalry AD 224–642
Blackbeard’s Last Fight
The Martini-Henry Rifle

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Nebakenezzer posted:

Just passing this along in case some of y'all havn't seen it. I'd say something aviation related will come up every week.

Nice, thanks

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

slidebite posted:

One of our examiners is an extremely experienced aerobatic pilot and it pisses her off to no end that she can’t take someone for a paid flight in her home-built but the idiots with warbirds have an exemption carved out for them to do exactly that. Even within Transport Canada it’s a very contentious subject, the general wisdom is that people have a soft spot for warbirds so they get treated unjustifiably with kid gloves.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

PT6A posted:

One of our examiners is an extremely experienced aerobatic pilot and it pisses her off to no end that she can’t take someone for a paid flight in her home-built but the idiots with warbirds have an exemption carved out for them to do exactly that. Even within Transport Canada it’s a very contentious subject, the general wisdom is that people have a soft spot for warbirds so they get treated unjustifiably with kid gloves.

This is even worse - they couldn’t even follow the softball rules they were allowed to operate under! I always wanted to go for a ride on one, but now I’m kinda glad I didn’t. This is shocking. I’d be surprised if the FAA’s eye of sauron doesn’t turn to the CAF now.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Call me ageist I guess because when I first heard about the crash, I thought for sure it would turn out that the 75 year old pilot had had a stroke while turning final or something.

Instead it turned out that the 75 year old pilot had just jerry-rigged the engines and falsified the maintenance records. Boy do I feel sheepish

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Atlas V launch being streamed live: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBkB1BbblN0

There was a launch hold to T-minus 4m, so you can still catch it.

EDIT: And the launch window extends to just before 5pm Eastern, so it might be a long hold.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 26, 2020

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Somewhat related to this, is there a good way to browse livestreams on youtube? Just doing a general search seems to be very hit and miss.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Spark plugs have gotta be the easiest things to service on an engine, that's loving atrocious

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Spark plugs have gotta be the easiest things to service on an engine, that's loving atrocious

[ASK] me about disassembling the entire intake system of an ITB V8 to get to the spark plugs (BMW S62)

but yeah on a radial that should not be a difficult job.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

lilbeefer posted:

Denying it/blaming others is

Oh I’ll agree to that, I was talking only about the SAM operators which I should have made more clear.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

The P&W Wasp Major had 56 spark plugs (and on a quad-engine machine like a Stratrocruiser that meant 224 plugs...) and if you slightly screwed up the starting procedure you could foul some, most or all of them in a matter of seconds. Or if you got to the runway and were doing your run-up tests and one engine dropped slightly too much during the mag test, it was back to the hangar for a disgruntled fitter to start pulling all 56 plugs to find the one(s) with a bit of soot on them. Or you could just run the engine up to takeoff power, coarsen the prop to put it under load and pull back the mixture a bit and hope you burnt off the offending deposit and that the engine wouldn't get a dead magneto three hours later over the Atlantic.

There's a reason old piston-engined airliners had a flight engineer (or several) and why airlines so enthusiastically adopted jet engines.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's almost as if we shouldn't be allowing people to ride in such complex pieces of machinery maintained by hobbyists who allow nostalgia and love of the machine to cloud judgment around what the acceptable level of safety is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

BalloonFish posted:

back to the hangar for a disgruntled fitter to start pulling all 56 plugs to find the one(s) with a bit of soot on them. Or you could just run the engine up to takeoff power, coarsen the prop to put it under load and pull back the mixture a bit and hope you burnt off the offending deposit

yeah uh once in a while i rent the plane and, because it's from a flight school, the plugs are fouled because the previous person left it rich their whole flight or whatever and so the engine stumbles on one mag or the other in the runup. setting the mixture on the edge of lean and burning it off as you suggest works great.

the fact that the plugs were fouled in this case is probably because (1) a t least some of the magnetos weren't firing and (2) the gaps were all set wrong. if you're only getting sporadic ignition you will of course have problems with engine fouling. but it's a bigger deal than just cleaning the plugs