Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Jack Ketch posted:

Flames of Old?

Looks like there's some recent activity on his patreon and his twitter https://twitter.com/Stayd3D?s=20

possibly

still looks quite a way off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The general theory goes that DS2 had the global illumination lighting engine in place that was shown in its gameplay reveal trailer, but it was incredibly taxing on 360/PS3 hardware, and they had to go back to static lighting again which completely killed the atmosphere.

The most obvious legacy of this are the braziers (which you can still light with a torch) which are everywhere in the game despite being totally useless - much of the world was originally intended to be shrouded in near-complete darkness.

It's said that the game was probably originally set during the age of dark, unlike 1 & 3 - but they simply couldn't pull it off.

I can't remember if I actually posted it or thought about posting it - Wizball but Dark Souls would be about the most awesome game. Set it in the Great Swamps and I'd about die.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

So I'm playing through these games for the first time ever after several stillborn attempts, currently in Anor Londo on DSR. It's genuinely amazing. A huge Berserk fan, the experience is even somehow being cathartic for me in light of Miura's recent passing, as you can just see the clear influence everywhere, if not in direct references then in the tonality and aesthetic of the series. I have every intention of marathoning the Souls trilogy into Sekiro if my mind doesn't break down and I give up in the attempt.

I've already been binging lore videos on Youtube but if anyone has anything interesting to share, I can't get enough. I've noticed some details that I haven't been able to find mentioned online: doesn't it seem like Lautrec probably killed the firekeeper whose soul is on the first floor of the church in the Undead Parish? I've seen a lot of people suggest he was then locked up by the Channeler who is hanging around there, but to me it seems more likely he was imprisoned by Oswald because they both are from the same world, Carim, which seems like it could suggest some potential relation.

I had always heard Blighttown was the worst part of the game, but I'm guessing it was because of the old fps problems, because the whole feel of that area was jaw-dropping to me. Forging through the poison swamp and making it into Queelag's lair only to get owned 20 times in a row was pretty amazing.

Edited because I noticed there is an active DS2 thread. Sorry if my discussion of DS1 is unwelcome here, I just assumed that it was likely the default location for discussion of the series.

Tosk fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 12, 2021

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Yeah, Blighttown was bad mostly because of the FPS drops and it being difficult to differentiate stuff with the brown on brown on brown on brown on brown on dark brown pallet. The poison swamp area combined with annoying flying enemies with questionable pathfinding didn't do it any favors either. FPS drops were also sometimes quite lethal when you considered the rickety bridge portions in the upper part of Blighttown. I really don't mind the area now, and I frequently go there early, but I used to dread it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tosk posted:

So I'm playing through these games for the first time ever after several stillborn attempts, currently in Anor Londo on DSR. It's genuinely amazing. A huge Berserk fan, the experience is even somehow being cathartic for me in light of Miura's recent passing, as you can just see the clear influence everywhere, if not in direct references then in the tonality and aesthetic of the series.

There are a couple direct references, although you may have missed them or not come across them yet.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
I hated blighttown for the awkward geometry. Mixed with it all being the same palette, toxic pricks, and dying to almost any fall. But really it's just the first attempt, when you don't expect it, and you don't know what's happening.

Don't forget to hit the illusion wall in the tree. No. The one behind that one.

War Wizard fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 12, 2021

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

Paracelsus posted:

There are a couple direct references, although you may have missed them or not come across them yet.

I mean, avoiding the fact that the demons are pretty apostle-like, the witch Beatrice is pretty much Schierke and the Moonlight Butterfly reminded me strongly of the Lost Children arc. It seems like there's quite a bit of Eclipse-like imagery later on in the series as well, if the lore videos I was watching are any indication. I love it.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tosk posted:

I mean, avoiding the fact that the demons are pretty apostle-like, the witch Beatrice is pretty much Schierke and the Moonlight Butterfly reminded me strongly of the Lost Children arc. It seems like there's quite a bit of Eclipse-like imagery later on in the series as well, if the lore videos I was watching are any indication. I love it.

I don't know if you've run across the bonewheels yet, but they're jerks.

There are ultra greatswords across the series that are literally Guts' sword.

I don't remember all of the details, but Artorias has some connections in his appearance.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I haven't, the Catacombs terrify me and I'm planning on only setting foot in there after I've cleared Anor Londo and can go in as overleveled as possible with divine gear.

But yeah, I love the general Berserk feel of the series. I was sure the Elite Knight armor I found was a reference to Guts' Golden Age armor, until I realized it was the same as the armor of Oscar of Astora.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Tosk posted:

Edited because I noticed there is an active DS2 thread. Sorry if my discussion of DS1 is unwelcome here, I just assumed that it was likely the default location for discussion of the series.

There's a DS1 thread, too, but really everyone reads and posts in all the threads. It doesn't matter much which one you post in. They only get active when someone finds the right one to live-post their playthroughs thoughts in.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I think I'm like the one person who bothers putting stuff in the right thread lol. And even that's just 'cuz I'm a dork, I don't care what anybody else does.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ah yes that incredible SOTFS lighting engine
The only times I used a torch were in that one skellington room and to make spiders and whatever the things in the wharf are called gently caress off.
Incidentally, I always thought a properly implemented lighting engine would just lead to exploration being annoying and every single area feeling as oppressive as the first time through Blighttown

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Yeah I'm always a bit bewildered that people seem to think the game would've been objectively better with the full fancy lightning engine and not an entire game of Tomb of the Giants.

Purely in terms of graphics, its absence is felt, but I suspect the gameplay implications would've been infinitely more controversial than anything we actually got in 2.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah I'm always a bit bewildered that people seem to think the game would've been objectively better with the full fancy lightning engine and not an entire game of Tomb of the Giants.

Purely in terms of graphics, its absence is felt, but I suspect the gameplay implications would've been infinitely more controversial than anything we actually got in 2.

Yup, 'do I want to use my main 2H/DW setup or have visibility' is not an interesting question when applied across most of a game

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

I'm playing a ds3 mod at the moment, which among other things, completely changes the lighting in the catacombs so you need a torch to see for a lot of it

And let me tell you what, it sucks!

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Oh wow a surprisingly positive forest interaction at SL27 or something. Got invaded on my new pyro right as I was fighting the big crab near the great swamp pyromancy tome. They let me kill it and grab the tome. Then Yellowfinger Heysel invaded, and we took turns backstabbing them. I killed the other crab while they cheered me on. We then dueled over the corpse, I just wasn't set up for pvp, I didn't stand a chance.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Moola posted:

I'm playing a ds3 mod at the moment, which among other things, completely changes the lighting in the catacombs so you need a torch to see for a lot of it

And let me tell you what, it sucks!

Really the frustration isn't that they figured out the lighting system wouldn't work, it's that they should've figured it out much, much sooner.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I'm progressing as a Pyromancer, and I just dunked on Dancer with Black Fire Orbs. It was a joke.

My INT/FAI is at 30/27. My Pyro Flame is at +7, and I have a +6 Chaos Longsword and a +6 Dark Longsword (I had excess large shards). But I've been wondering something, should I invest my next set of Chunks into my flame? Because I'm only getting a marginal boost in my Spell Buff. Or should I invest in one of my Longswords, which will get a substantial boost in AR.

In the long run I will easily get enough chunks to +10 everything I will need. But I'm asking in the short term.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Honestly, take your pick. If you just beat the Dancer, then the new area you unlocked is gonna chuck so many chunks at you that you will be be at full +9’s in a heartbeat.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I saw a few bloodstains in the painter's room in Ariandel, any idea what that could've been about? I'm assuming some were invaders, but there was one in particular that seemed to die to a grab or stab attack--their ghost got lifted up into the air and looked like they were munched a couple times. Reminded me of a mimic. Are there any weapons that could do that in PVP?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

I kind of just assumed they would let you put a lantern on your belt like in Dragon's Dogma.

Also Dark Souls with more interesting light mechanics might just be Dragons Dogma.

Edit: Eh, I guess I'm assuming a new one would do that. DS2 with the lighting probably wouldn't have and you're right that it would of been pretty controversial.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Gumball Gumption posted:

I kind of just assumed they would let you put a lantern on your belt like in Dragon's Dogma.

Also Dark Souls with more interesting light mechanics might just be Dragons Dogma.

Edit: Eh, I guess I'm assuming a new one would do that. DS2 with the lighting probably wouldn't have and you're right that it would of been pretty controversial.

hell yeah dragons dogma lighting system was kinda cool

having to take care not to roll around water sources in caves was pretty neat, re-filling your lantern etc. God that game owned

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I'm working my way through the DLCs now, the Demon Prince fight is incredibly fun! A+ music as well. Really satisfying to beat, all of the Dreg Heap leading up to it was a visually impressive area to explore as well.

I didn't realise that was already part of the Ringed City so looks like I missed an Ariandel boss somewhere along the line, time to go back and see what else I can find there.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Sum Gai posted:

Really the frustration isn't that they figured out the lighting system wouldn't work, it's that they should've figured it out much, much sooner.

That's a pretty great point actually. They certainly weren't able to get some of the areas just right in time. Aldia's Keep looks incredibly flat for instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59eLW1IGUCU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So I've managed to get Dark Souls 3 running and operable with only a couple crashes (it mostly took only playing offline and having as few background programs open as possible), and at this point I'm up to Lothric Castle. A couple quick questions:

-If I'm here mostly for cool setting and lore stuff, is it worth me visiting Archdragon Peak?
-If so, at what point?
-I'm wielding the Sharp Astora Great Sword; what should I raise my Dexterity to before I start hitting diminishing returns?
-Are the only ways to increase survivability really to either raise my health or find better armor? I really like this Dancer set, but I'm worried it might not be cutting the mustard and I'll have to up my equip load and find better armor, which is a pain.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

So I've managed to get Dark Souls 3 running and operable with only a couple crashes (it mostly took only playing offline and having as few background programs open as possible), and at this point I'm up to Lothric Castle. A couple quick questions:

-If I'm here mostly for cool setting and lore stuff, is it worth me visiting Archdragon Peak?
-If so, at what point?
-I'm wielding the Sharp Astora Great Sword; what should I raise my Dexterity to before I start hitting diminishing returns?
-Are the only ways to increase survivability really to either raise my health or find better armor? I really like this Dancer set, but I'm worried it might not be cutting the mustard and I'll have to up my equip load and find better armor, which is a pain.

-Archdragon is 100% worth visiting.
-Imo the best time is right after you've +10'd a weapon or dunked the Lothric Bros
-Stats softcap at 40, hardcap at 60
-Armor makes a highly insignificant difference. An attack that kills you in 4 hits in rags is going to kill you in 4 hits in plate. Wear what looks cool, fashion souls is the endgame. For overall survivability your best defense is to not get hit. That said everyone gets hit so raising your HP is never a bad call, remember that being embered raises your HP by 30% (and opens you up to invasions). You could always tank stuff with a greatshield as well, if you wanted.

Horace Kinch fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jul 16, 2021

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Quick question:

Whats the easiest way to cheese the dancer if you want to do it asap?

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

WaltherFeng posted:

Quick question:

Whats the easiest way to cheese the dancer if you want to do it asap?
Get the Dark Hand

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cleretic posted:

-If so, at what point?

The Astora Greatsword specifically has high enough dex scaling that you can keep seeing good returns all the way up into the 70s and above. So basically throw as many levels into dex as you want and you'll be fine, just as long as you save some for hp and stamina.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The Astora Greatsword specifically has high enough dex scaling that you can keep seeing good returns all the way up into the 70s and above. So basically throw as many levels into dex as you want and you'll be fine, just as long as you save some for hp and stamina.

I never went past 40 on DEX on any character, STR at the other hand is worth going for 66 if you plan on using the absolute massive weapons like Ledo's Greathammer. Is it truly worth leveling DEX that much?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Guillermus posted:

I never went past 40 on DEX on any character, STR at the other hand is worth going for 66 if you plan on using the absolute massive weapons like Ledo's Greathammer. Is it truly worth leveling DEX that much?

It is when specifically it's the Astora Great Sword (with inherently good DEX scaling) with the Sharp infusion (which jacks up the scaling even more), I assume.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The damage stat breakpoints are 40 & 60, so unless you specifically need the extra stats for a weapon or spell requirement 60 is really as high as you should go, and even then you'll be hitting diminishing returns after 40 that could probably be better spent on utility stats or a second damage stat

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Except Luck, for the one edge case, where it caps at 50.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Guillermus posted:

You're still getting ~2 damage per soul level all the way up to 82.

The Sharp Astora Greatsword has 402 AR at min stats (16str / 18 dex), up to 533 AR at 40 dex (so it gains ~6 AR per level). From 40-60 it goes up to 567 AR, so a 34 AR gain for 20 levels or 1.7 AR per level. Then all the way at 82 dex it is still going up, up to 624 total AR. Compared to level 60 you've gained 48 AR for 22 levels, so ~2.2 AR per level. Then from 82 to 99 it goes up to 637 AR, a gain of 13 AR for 17 levels, or only 0.8 AR per level.

The scaling between 60 and 80 is actually better than the scaling from 40-60.

Don't just blindly look at the softcap numbers, as every weapon's damage scaling is different. They're a good general guideline but you never know for sure -- some weapons stop making appreciable scaling gains after 33 in a stat, some like the Astora GS keep going for ages.

(Except strength which does literallynothing past 66 if you're two-handing a weapon, since it's already hitting the 99-str absolute cap with the 2h bonus)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 16, 2021

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
When I respecced into dex for the winblades, I went to 80 right away and it was glorious.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
this one made me lmao irl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbhWVB0pCZw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALPQHZJIaTw

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
And that's NG+ Gundyr, Nameless King, Twin Princes, Friede, Midir, Gael, Soul of Cinder killed completely legit and solo. And NG++ Dancer early as well. Most of these kills were messy as gently caress, with the exception of, somehow, Midir. It helps that I have a full 40/60 DEX/FAI build that outputs silly Twinblade damage when my buffs are up and I have a big window.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Phobophilia posted:

And that's NG+ Gundyr, Nameless King, Twin Princes, Friede, Midir, Gael, Soul of Cinder killed completely legit and solo. And NG++ Dancer early as well. Most of these kills were messy as gently caress, with the exception of, somehow, Midir. It helps that I have a full 40/60 DEX/FAI build that outputs silly Twinblade damage when my buffs are up and I have a big window.

nice, congrats! Midir's feels pretty good solo tbh, seems like Midir gets less predictable with summons

Couple more clips:

How do you die like this in the painter's room? actual question
https://i.imgur.com/KVgvFrO.mp4

wtf with this bug. I didn't see it again so I'm not concerned but I sure wasn't expecting it. It happened every time I locked on for a while, then I quit the game and it never came back
https://i.imgur.com/zP8vpoj.mp4

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Killed by a hacker, maybe? The only "grabs" in this game are criticals and Sacred Flames, nothing else should put you into that animation.

Also i've come to the conclusion that bleeds are kind of mediocre in this game even against bleed vulnerable bosses. Because I tried killing Dancer Blood Warden Twinblades: I got a decent amount of damage in, but the damage only ticks after a long combo. So I cast Dark Blade on my Sellsword Twinblades instead, and did just as much if not more damage. Upfront as well.

It is possible to cheese Dancer and Demon Prince with Dorhy's Gnawing. But it's very situational. Maybe it becomes more relatively viable on a 80 DEX build.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pretty much bleed scales with Luck