Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Can anyone tell me a good reason for seth to attack with two creatures there? cast out? lmao what a punt

It was horrendous, because that line loses to double Cast Down + other removal spell on the following turn. Attacking with two creatures or three creatures both lose to Vraska's Contempt, so it was just a mistake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
does anybody follow or care about mtg teams? i no longer know which are the top teams since they keep shifting and renaming. i forget about their existence soon as the pt ends. and i post in an mtg thread semi-daily.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

does anybody follow or care about mtg teams? i no longer know which are the top teams since they keep shifting and renaming. i forget about their existence soon as the pt ends. and i post in an mtg thread semi-daily.

WotC does not do a good job hyping their team series, at all, and I think that might be intentional. I suspect they saw a bunch of teams on other esports broadcasts, were told to come up with an official team system, and then they got told "hold up, you're giving free advertisment to these teams' sponsors, stop covering them as much."

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

resistentialism posted:

The RW I saw doesn't run any of those cards, It's benalish marshal and history of benalia.

Is that the one that literally just splashes red for justice strike?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
isn't the feature match area usually more themed around the current set?

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Nephzinho posted:

Is that the one that literally just splashes red for justice strike?

heroic reinforcements is the only red card, 4x

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Hellsau posted:

WotC does not do a good job hyping their team series, at all, and I think that might be intentional. I suspect they saw a bunch of teams on other esports broadcasts, were told to come up with an official team system, and then they got told "hold up, you're giving free advertisment to these teams' sponsors, stop covering them as much."

I would have thought it was because they didn't want to be hyping up teams the whole tournament, and then in a crucial Round 16 match win-and-in for some player, his opponent scoops to let his teammate into the Top 8, cheating the non-team guy out of the Top 8 opportunity. It'll eventually happen.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

The Shortest Path posted:

Red getting two aggro guilds in the next set to go with Chainwhirler and friends is mildly terrifying, to be honest.

I remember the likes of Heezy street, but was Rakdos ever good? I know R/B has periodically been strong (including recently), but I'm struggling to remember a strong RB deck during a standard with Ravnica cards.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

BioThermo posted:

I remember the likes of Heezy street, but was Rakdos ever good? I know R/B has periodically been strong (including recently), but I'm struggling to remember a strong RB deck during a standard with Ravnica cards.

Innistrad - RTR had a reasonably good BR aggro deck using Falkenrath Aristocrat that put up some numbers at GPs and SCGs and the like.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

There was an at least decent BR deck with Dark Confidant and Hit//Run

no fear

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Jund also leaned plenty hard on rakdos cards. Dreadbore, Rakdos's return and the occasional ill-advised Slaughter games in the board.

I also know sire of insanity saw limited play as well.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Elyv posted:

There was an at least decent BR deck with Dark Confidant and Hit//Run

no fear

I played that on MWS and once I lost a game my opponent did basically nothing in to flipping two Hit//Runs in a row.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

AnEdgelord posted:

Jund also leaned plenty hard on rakdos cards. Dreadbore, Rakdos's return and the occasional ill-advised Slaughter games in the board.

I also know sire of insanity saw limited play as well.

Dragon's Maze Jund was filled with insane haymakers at every mana cost. Here are 8-2 mana removal spells for everything, ramp for perfect mana, 2 stupid X-kill your poo poo spells, and oh yeah, everyone has to play off the top of their deck once you get to 6 mana.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
The team series doesn't really make sense for MTG. It's like they looked at League, OW, CS, and Dota and thought they should just copy the team aspect.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
lol Jeremy Dezani is 8-0 at the end of day 1 and openly admits in an end-of-the-day interview he didn't know until round 8 that Aurelia had mentor.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
The reason you're not seeing a team series push is the season just reset. There are no front runners or storylines yet to pay attention to.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
If i copy a glimmerpost with a flood counter on it from quicksilver fountain with vesuva does vesuva become an island or a glimmerpost?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Propitious Jerk posted:

If i copy a glimmerpost with a flood counter on it from quicksilver fountain with vesuva does vesuva become an island or a glimmerpost?

The copy won't have the flood counter on it so it's just a post.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010
Thanks Lonegoat. I was stumped by that one.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
To expand a bit more, unless it's changed in some way, the rule of thumb is that a copy effect gives you the base card (or token I suppose), disregarding any changes that have been applied to it. The classic example is that copying an animated manland with a Clone, or a Vesuva for that matter, gives you a non-creature version of the land (which you can of course then activate to animate it as usual).

So it's not just that it doesn't copy the flood counter, although it's true that it doesn't, but more that it doesn't copy the Island that Glimmerpost currently is, it just copies Glimmerpost.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

JerryLee posted:

To expand a bit more, unless it's changed in some way, the rule of thumb is that a copy effect gives you the base card (or token I suppose), disregarding any changes that have been applied to it. The classic example is that copying an animated manland with a Clone, or a Vesuva for that matter, gives you a non-creature version of the land (which you can of course then activate to animate it as usual).

So it's not just that it doesn't copy the flood counter, although it's true that it doesn't, but more that it doesn't copy the Island that Glimmerpost currently is, it just copies Glimmerpost.

Just to make sure - I have a tauren mauler in play with a bunch of +1/+1 counters on it.

My opponent plays phyrexian metamorph (or clone or w/e) and copies it. It's just a 2/2? (or what ever the base stats are?)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Drewjitsu posted:

Just to make sure - I have a tauren mauler in play with a bunch of +1/+1 counters on it.

My opponent plays phyrexian metamorph (or clone or w/e) and copies it. It's just a 2/2? (or what ever the base stats are?)

yes

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Drewjitsu posted:

Yup. And to provide another example, if your Taurean Mauler had a Deep Freeze on it, the clone effect would still give your opponent a 2/2 in accordance with the base card, rather than saying "oh, this particular Taurean Mauler is an 0/4 right now, I'mma come into play as an 0/4."

edit: WoW race is not actually an MTG card

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Nov 10, 2018

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

the real question is where in the world are you playing against the card Quicksilver Fountain, some guy with a weird EDH deck?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Clones only copy what is written on the card they're copying. Any changes made to that card after the fact, like enchantments, counters, modifications to power, toughness, and/or abilities, and Riding the Dilu Horse are not copied. I'll be honest and admit I'm not entirely sure what happens if you Clone something like a Lazav that has become a copy of another creature. I THINK it copies the creature Lazav copied but keeps the Lazav name but I'm not 100% on that. This can lead to situations that don't always work out how you want. For example, cloning a Walking Ballista or Hangarback Walker will give you a 0/0 because you didn't pay the X cost, even though you did pay some amount of mana for your clone. One I've actually had come up in vintage is if you Duplicant a Hangarback Walker with X counters, the Duplicant becomes a 0/0 and dies for the same reason. Also kinda related and definitely silly: if you Duplicant a Darksteel Juggernaut, your Duplicant will get bigger and smaller as the Juggernaut's controller plays or loses artifacts.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Someone gimme a list to grind arena singleton.

mattah
Nov 9, 2003

Oh Pikachu!
I really enjoy reading, listening, and thinking about the game, but my love for playing is just .. gone. Sooo .. I am looking to liquidate everything. Any Aussies got any good insight as to what I can expect to sell a collection for, as a % of TCG mid value? Also, good buyers I should get in touch with?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Ignore me i misread your post

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

That takes way too long to type out so all you’re getting is 20 swamps and 40 rats

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I think they must have changed the draft algorithms because I haven't been able to force draft Dimir or Boros.

Can I also say Selesnya mirror matches are the worst? Especially when all 5 of your removals are in the bottom 10 cards of the deck? :negative:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

Can anyone tell me a good reason for seth to attack with two creatures there? cast out? lmao what a punt

my guess is he decided that if kai has a removal spell, he can't possibly win. it could have been a punt but it could have just been deciding his only out was to hope kai had nothing but lands in his hand

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Don't know if people in this thread care, but Valve just released some info about Artifact's economy and it's set up exactly like MTGO with event tickets, tournaments, and a lack of ladder. At least they are going to allow users to run their own tournaments.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
outside of cheating, this is the number one reason i hate paper magic.

TOs that do this loving suck. i am not going to touch shoulders with other nerds all day.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Remember FFG's deck building game where instead of building decks you just got one procedural RNGed that you are never, ever allowed to modify even slightly?

They're pre-preemptively taking away even the fun of lucking into a procedurally generated deck name (printed on the card backs) that's a little racy, by pre-emptively banning them when they make it to print and making you return them:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/11/9/archon-names/

lol

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 10, 2018

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Remember FFG's deck building game where instead of building decks you just got one procedural RNGed that you are never, ever allowed to modify even slightly?

They're pre-preemptively taking away even the fun of lucking into a procedurally generated deck name (printed on the card backs) that's a little racy, by pre-emptively banning them when they make it to print and making you return them:

lol

I wonder what the secondary market price would be for Weedlord Bonerhitler

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Hahaha just tuned in for 5 minutes to the feature match and saw a ridiculously dumb angle shoot by the guy mentioned earlier, Dezani.

e: he loaded up his only creature, parthelion patrol with gird for battle and candlelight vigil and then when his opponent cast statue on it tried to remove the enchantment instead of bin it.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Marketing New Brain posted:

Hahaha just tuned in for 5 minutes to the feature match and saw a ridiculously dumb angle shoot by the guy mentioned earlier, Dezani.

e: he loaded up his only creature, parthelion patrol with gird for battle and candlelight vigil and then when his opponent cast statue on it tried to remove the enchantment instead of bin it.

I do this all the time. It's what's commonly referred to as a "bad joke." I Assume, anyway. I wasn't watching.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

I do this all the time. It's what's commonly referred to as a "bad joke." I Assume, anyway. I wasn't watching.

Yes, it’s an extremely good time for this joke, when you are playing for potentially thousands of dollars and you and your opponent have a huge language barrier and can’t communicate actions verbally. Hilarious!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Marketing New Brain posted:

Thats his MO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

lol

This is amazing