Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hellburger99 posted:

The Joker is actually really good in the new game and really the only part of the story that's worth a drat. It's really the only part of the story that makes sense, and that's even considering it feels like it was added near the end of production.

Fake Edit: Almost forgot, The Riddler is equally amazing.

I'm sure it would have been a really cool surprise if it hadn't been spoiled by a bunch of people in the thread for a platform that it isn't even available on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

DrManiac posted:

anyone try holy potatoes a weapon shop!? yet?

I played Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?! a bit earlier on, feels like it should be a mobile game. Not sure yet if it's worth $15.

Basically you have a number of smiths who have 4 stats, Attack, Speed, Accuracy, Magic. When you go to craft a weapon, you assign each smith to a station that will imbue on 1 of those 4 stats during the process. You also get the chance to boost a stat (it says 0/1 boosts for my current shop, I guess you get more chances later?) and make it better.

After the weapon's finished, you can send a smith to sell up to 3 of them to adventurers in a location. They'll all offer a price and will get XP based on how well the weapon suits them, both for their primary stat and the type of weapon they favor. As they level up, your store gets Fame which unlocks more stuff.

You can also send smiths out exploring a region for items or to the market to get materials for forging new weapons. Each smith (in addition to their primary smith class) has levels for Merchant and Explorer, which get better as they continue to do those jobs.

I haven't unlocked every feature yet, like researching new weapons. I think that and imbuing weapons with items/enchantments might be the only things I don't have though? In any case, the game is pleasant, just not sure whether it's $15 pleasant yet. I'll drop a verdict here once I get more playtime.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

SilverMike posted:

I played Holy Potatoes! A Weapon Shop?! a bit earlier on, feels like it should be a mobile game. Not sure yet if it's worth $15.

Basically you have a number of smiths who have 4 stats, Attack, Speed, Accuracy, Magic. When you go to craft a weapon, you assign each smith to a station that will imbue on 1 of those 4 stats during the process. You also get the chance to boost a stat (it says 0/1 boosts for my current shop, I guess you get more chances later?) and make it better.

After the weapon's finished, you can send a smith to sell up to 3 of them to adventurers in a location. They'll all offer a price and will get XP based on how well the weapon suits them, both for their primary stat and the type of weapon they favor. As they level up, your store gets Fame which unlocks more stuff.

You can also send smiths out exploring a region for items or to the market to get materials for forging new weapons. Each smith (in addition to their primary smith class) has levels for Merchant and Explorer, which get better as they continue to do those jobs.

I haven't unlocked every feature yet, like researching new weapons. I think that and imbuing weapons with items/enchantments might be the only things I don't have though? In any case, the game is pleasant, just not sure whether it's $15 pleasant yet. I'll drop a verdict here once I get more playtime.

I realize this is totally unrelated, but this reminded me of an awesome PS1 game where you had a magic sword and you could take girls in your party on dates and they'd help you upgrade your sword with different bonuses depending on how much they liked you. Anyone remember this game?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

It's not Azure Dreams, is it?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's Thousand Arms by Atlus.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

SilverMike posted:

It's not Azure Dreams, is it?

No, what I remember from the beginning is your father is a blacksmith which is really prestigious in this world and your village gets attacked and I think everyone gets wiped out. It was voice acted and the main chars voice was really whiny. (I realize this describes a lot of RPGs, haha)

Edit:

Saoshyant posted:

Yesssss, thank you.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Captain Forever remix just went down 40%. Is it good?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tsyni posted:

No, what I remember from the beginning is your father is a blacksmith which is really prestigious in this world and your village gets attacked and I think everyone gets wiped out. It was voice acted and the main chars voice was really whiny. (I realize this describes a lot of RPGs, haha)

Saoshyant posted:

Meis Hughes from Thousand Arms :v:

My bro was so, so all about that game when we were 16.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

The White Dragon posted:

Meis Hughes from Thousand Arms :v:

My bro was so, so all about that game when we were 16.

Your "bro" eh? Hey man, I want to go load up that beauty too. Take some anime babes on some dates, forge some sweet swords.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

John Murdoch posted:

When they say Final Fantasy 3, do they actually mean Final Fantasy 3 or are they incorrectly referring to Final Fantasy 6. That's what I want to know.

Wasn't Final Fantasy 3 Final Fantasy 1?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tsyni posted:

Your "bro" eh? Hey man, I want to go load up that beauty too. Take some anime babes on some dates, forge some sweet swords.

Fine, both of us :v:

But he was totally more into it than I was. I only had enough motivation to get to the ice cave, so I didn't even get far enough in the story to meet all the chicks. At least it probably only had one ending anyway :(

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Tsyni posted:

It's awful.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Wendell posted:

It's awful.

It's kind of awful, but I remember enjoying playing it as a teenager. The battle system is kind of interesting. Granted, I never beat the game and the voice acting is horrible. If you like jrpgs then you'll probably like it, though

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Sleeveless posted:

I'm sure it would have been a really cool surprise if it hadn't been spoiled by a bunch of people in the thread for a platform that it isn't even available on.

What, Joker and Riddler in big Batman game?
No one gives a toot about any other villain what are they gonna do.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am on a "Play games that will work on my busted laptop during the summer" tour, and is it just me or is Banner Saga's combat pretty lackluster? It's weird that positioning is meaningless and tying health to attack damage is... realistic I guess, but it feels awful. Also I've been fighting the same types of enemies for 90% of the game so far. I guess the Oregon Trail parts of the game help break it up a little.

I also welcome any recommendations for low hardware, high entertainment games. I was enjoying Child of Light but it made my laptop automatically shut down from overheating so I don't know if I'm going to keep on with that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

sauer kraut posted:

What, Joker and Riddler in big Batman game?
No one gives a toot about any other villain what are they gonna do.

I thought it was going to be all about SpaceKnights and now you've ruined that for me

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Wendell posted:

It's awful.
Is that the game where your tiny group does not even commit everyone to a fight and someone only does cheerleading? I played an hour and figured I could play a game where everyone is kicking rear end at the same time.

Good job, theultimo. He said. Right as the post got edited to not look poorly formatted.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jul 13, 2015

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Azhais posted:

Wasn't Final Fantasy 3 Final Fantasy 1?
code:
FF US   FF JPN
1         1
2         4
3         6
FFVII consolidated all.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I also welcome any recommendations for low hardware, high entertainment games. I was enjoying Child of Light but it made my laptop automatically shut down from overheating so I don't know if I'm going to keep on with that.
do you like roguelikes? because they are really good for crappy laptops

also stuff like ys, CK2/EU4, defenders quest if you want a tower defense, la mulana, cave story, terraria and its clones, lethal league, broforce...

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Maybe he just really likes lovely rpgmaker art?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am on a "Play games that will work on my busted laptop during the summer" tour, and is it just me or is Banner Saga's combat pretty lackluster? It's weird that positioning is meaningless and tying health to attack damage is... realistic I guess, but it feels awful. Also I've been fighting the same types of enemies for 90% of the game so far. I guess the Oregon Trail parts of the game help break it up a little.

Nah, you're on the same page with everyone on Banner Saga. The combat is totally the hunting from Oregon Trail because its like "oh cool!" the first time and then you realize you need to do it every 15 minutes till the end of the trail and you figured out the trick a dozen instances ago.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, it's a pretty terrible system that turns every battle into a prolonged slog because it's better to whittle everybody's health down without actually killing them and be left with a bunch of worthless enemies than to actually killpeople and leave their fully-powered allies to attack you on the next turn.

The whole thing feels like a proof-of-concept awkwardly stretched into a full game and considering that it was a Kickstarter game that's probably exactly the case.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I played maybe 3/4 hours of Banner Saga before realising that it probably isn't going to get much better. It doesn't help that the only enemies in the game are boring in every conceivable way. They're even tedious to look at.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gorn Myson posted:

I played maybe 3/4 hours of Banner Saga before realising that it probably isn't going to get much better. It doesn't help that the only enemies in the game are boring in every conceivable way. They're even tedious to look at.

it's par for Kickstarters efforts being pretty on the outside and shallow on the inside.

Once you beat it there's really no compelling reason to ever replay it again

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
The story's real good, though. Would advise just reading the LP instead.

Is the story and music good enough to justify buying the game even though the combat is pretty crap? I dunno. But I hope those people continue to make games, and hopefully learn to make ones that are fun to play in addition to being good to read.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Drifter posted:

Maybe he just really likes lovely rpgmaker art?

It's just a word for the look of something; it ain't mean it's a good or well-crafted look. loving USA TODAY has an "aesthetic".

edit for foreigners and young people: USA TODAY is what you get when someone decides that the average newspaper is too hard and too time-consuming to read

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.

The White Dragon posted:

It's a fun enough game, but anyone planning to play with their friends should be forewarned that the netcode is still pretty junk. It doesn't help that it apparently tries to sync each individual projectile... in Touhou-style bullet hell bosses :psyduck:

They released a recent update that fixed that issue, I think. The Gundam boss battle, where it was most noticeable, doesn't seem to have any lag hits for me.

Though I guess if you have a delay of like 500-1000 ping your multiplayer experience might not be so hot regardless, but that could be said for any multi game. :(

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

It's a shame Banner Saga is such a unfun slog, because I adore the art and style it has.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Interviews and previews indicate they heard loud and clear on the combat front for what they're doing with 2. Grain of salt and whether it's better or just different, who knows.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Orv posted:

Interviews and previews indicate they heard loud and clear on the combat front for what they're doing with 2. Grain of salt and whether it's better or just different, who knows.

Final Fantasy Viking Tactics

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I hate that all these indie strategy rpgs have a near complete lack of terrain elevation and are fought on the same x by x square grid nearly every fight.

Rime Berta isn't any good but at least it tried some stuff in its battle failings. Banner Saga's combat is so lifeless, that even with improvements, I find it hard to believe the sequel's combat could be anything better than dully average unless whoever is in charge of combat is someone not related to the first game.

Someone release the Tactics Ogre remake on steam. I wouldn't even care if it was the typical poo poo-effort Square mobile port repackaging.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 14, 2015

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Anachronox - I have Paco in my party and want to retrieve the red crystal I spotted in OneGate when I was there on a mission, but I can't seem to get to there. People refuse to buy tickets because of the shuttle, and the shuttle can't go there. The LP thinks you can get to OneGate before going to Limbus.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Jul 14, 2015

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Scalding Coffee posted:

Is that the game where your tiny group does not even commit everyone to a fight and someone only does cheerleading? I played an hour and figured I could play a game where everyone is kicking rear end at the same time.

Yeah, only one character is involved in a fight and your other two characters cheerlead. It takes pressing X to attack to a whole new level of boring!

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
What's better: Banner Saga having really boring enemies or Massive Chalice having a variety of enemies, each of which is a loving pain in the rear end gimmick straight out of the dregs of the 2nd edition monster manual? Vorpal enemies, experience drainers, suicide exploders, spawners, life stealers, and hit point sponges. Those might as well be the names of the enemies in Massive Chalice.

I finally stopped playing Massive Chalice after really trying hard to like it but realizing the game was reliant on about 3 too many random number generators to be a good strategy game or tactical rpg and the tone is all over the goddamn place.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Orv posted:

Do any of those interviews say whether they're gonna go back to using Icelandic voice actors just to have them speak English with a silly accent? Honestly, that was pretty embarrassing to find out.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Don't forget that Banner Saga happened before Kickstarter games were relegated to their own little ghetto so between the devs posting up a storm and people who had sunk tons of money into the project cheerleading it every step of the way you couldn't get a word in edgewise for the longest time.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Thing is, nobody really talked about what the game played like. Even now I've barely any idea what the game plays like and believe me, I tried finding material to explain it to me. You go somewhere. Why? The world's ending shut up, you just head off in a random direction. There's people following you because, I dunno you have a fancy flag that gets real long. There's SRPG battles where the damage enemies do is based on hit points. There's big guys. People talk English with an embarrassing accent.

That's the long and short of what I know about Banner Saga, and the more material I try to find about the game, the more certain I become that there isn't anything more to it.

Great Joe fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 14, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

There just needs to be more Fire Emblem type games on Steam but not agarest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Great Joe posted:

Thing is, nobody really talked about what the game played like. Even now I've barely any idea what the game plays like and believe me, I tried finding material to explain it to me. You go somewhere. Why? The world's ending shut up, you just head off in a random direction. There's people following you because, I dunno you have a fancy flag that gets real long. There's SRPG battles where the damage enemies do is based on hit points. There's big guys. People talk English with an embarrassing accent.

That's the long and short of what I know about Banner Saga, and the more material I try to find about the game, the more certain I become that there isn't anything more to it.

It has some seriously un-intuitive combat because damage is based on how much hp units have and you alternate turns no matter how many units each side has so the optimal strategy is to leave all enemy units alive with 1 to 3 hp so they have to waste turns on their near death units that can now only deal 1 to 3 damage instead of moving their 13 hp guy around every turn after yours slaughtering your guys one by one. Having numbers on your side doesn't loving matter unlike every strategy game ever made.

It's a lovely game!

• Locked thread