Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rinkles posted:

He was fairly lucky to find and bin the Phoenix, but the deck has a bunch of spells that could've done it, especially since he still had a bunch of mana

Have you not seen the deck in action before?

Okay it wasn’t cool then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is the Discord still up? The only invite link I could find is dead.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

Okay it wasn’t cool then

The deck does lead to cool, victory out of the jaws of defeat moments. Makes it harder to tell how strong the deck really is. I think it might become obnoxious if it gets an upgrade in any of the upcoming sets (there are multiple ways of fighting it, though).

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Once upon a time, a man named Richard Garfield invented a game called Magic the Gathering. He imagined a game where people would have a deck unique to them, full of cards that had a personal relationship with their owner. He thought most players wouldn't even know what all the cards were, and playing their unique deck against someone else's deck would be an endless experience of new ideas and exciting experiences.

Then everyone bought five boxes of cards each and began netdecking the same top tier decks against each other. MtG's a good game and all, but it's not the game he intended.
That's because the game he intended can't exist and be at all viable. The internet means that people are going to talk, they're going to know what every card is in a matter of weeks at the most, and they're going to want the cards they want. And then they're going to want to have those cards in their deck, but with this weird "no deck building allowed" enforcement you're going to have a shitload of disappointment that you got Known lovely Card A instead of Known Power Card B along with resentment that your buddy Steve got this insane deck that looks like a top 8 modern deck while you got a tier 2 standard deck or a draft deck with extra cards to hit the required deck size. Then you never play again because your randomly generated deck sucks, your friend never plays because he's got a deck that's too good, you're both out $20 and no one's happy.

Mystic Mongol posted:

So now that printing technology has improved to the point where he could force the issue, ole' Dick's trying again. This time you get the deck you're given, dammit, and you'll like it. And when you play someone else's deck for the first time, you don't know what's in it just because you've memorized the top ten tier decks, you're going to see something new and you're going to deal with it.
Except this is only good for one (1) game, and it's not a particularly intense feeling. And in this information age, anyone interested in the game isn't going to even get the "I wonder what he has" so much as "I wonder if he has X". It reminds me of my first experience with D&D, where the DM was such a psychotic control freak that he wouldn't let anyone look at any of the books, even the PHB; you couldn't make your own character, you had to tell him "I would like to play a wizard" and he made a character for you. As you can imagine, it wasn't fun at all, took a huge part of the game away from the players, and we all quit after a couple sessions in part because we had been robbed of the part of the game that would make us care about the characters we were abandoning. Trying to recreate that "first time experience" is like trying to stuff toothpaste back in the tube, except in this case the tube's shredded on the other end.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I mean, I get why it's hard to do, but the constant downtime is why paper PTs are always going to be a chore.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The PIP of LSV and Mok just doing nothing is kinda silly, doubly so if they are waiting for the look-in to end.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I get why it's hard to do, but the constant downtime is why paper PTs are always going to be a chore.

It sucks even more because this has already been solved at the GP level. Why timewalk matches have not been implemented is beyond me.

As far as that lovely FFG game goes though the "you have to stick with the deck you open" is a gimmick and an extremely bad gimmick at that. It appeals to all of those weirdoes who constantly whine about "netdecking" and will largely scam them out of their money in yet another FFG scheme where they release a game and then summarily abandon it since its not even a LCG they have an incentive to keep updated.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
I don't feel like this PT has any more downtime than your typical e-sports event.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Gustav posted:

I don't feel like this PT has any more downtime than your typical e-sports event.

Yeah I don't think it's that far off either, but it's in large chunks. Would be interesting to see someone do a comparison.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Edit: wrong thread

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

lmao, rich firing shots at Todd Stevens

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AceClown posted:

lmao, rich firing shots at Todd Stevens

i missed it, what did he say?

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

i missed it, what did he say?

He'd previously said that the 12-4 results wouldn't get a look in for the top 8, but now it seems some of them might have a shot.

He says to Maria "So I'm sorry, I'm very sorry, I was wrong and it won't happen again"
Straight deadpans the camera and goes "That's what an apology should sound like by the way..."

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

AceClown posted:

He'd previously said that the 12-4 results wouldn't get a look in for the top 8, but now it seems some of them might have a shot.

He says to Maria "So I'm sorry, I'm very sorry, I was wrong and it won't happen again"
Straight deadpans the camera and goes "That's what an apology should sound like by the way..."

lol holy poo poo, i hope someone clipped that

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I want to know so badly what his harassment consisted of.
Was it creepy magic one-lines, rear end grabbing, magic one-liners and rear end grabbing.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Timestamp:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/334034925?t=08h16m43s

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

DangerDongs posted:

I want to know so badly what his harassment consisted of.
Was it creepy magic one-lines, rear end grabbing, magic one-liners and rear end grabbing.

all it takes is one look at his john waters 'stache to know what the harassment consisted of

e: also Rich Hagon is a treasure

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AceClown posted:

it was pretty savage, well i mean for rich, the happy little elf of commentators

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

PMush Perfect posted:

Is the Discord still up? The only invite link I could find is dead.

Yes come hang out with us, it's a cool place-
https://discord.gg/ZcJUAc

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Why does every time Dezani shows up on camera, he's doing something scummy or stupid? Answer: he's just a scumbag bad player.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The Phoenix deck is only a dog to fast aggression and I feel like there are sideboard plans that can account for that too.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

The Phoenix deck is only a dog to fast aggression and I feel like there are sideboard plans that can account for that too.

That’s because you aren’t using the secret Damping Sphere tech

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

GrandpaPants posted:

I wonder what the secondary market price would be for Weedlord Bonerhitler

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

why is racism one of their random words

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Hellsau posted:

If I had to guess they probably just used a word list and took out all the bad words but forgot that there are words that aren't inherently offensive that probably shouldn't be used in deck names lol

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Hellsau posted:

they filtered out gently caress and poo poo and called it a day

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I want to play LongRod, the Pusher of Pleasure.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Why does every time Dezani shows up on camera, he's doing something scummy or stupid? Answer: he's just a scumbag bad player.

What did he do, I didn’t catch his match

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Marketing New Brain posted:

What did he do, I didn’t catch his match

Yesterday he 8-0ed without knowing that Aurelia (a card in his deck) had mentor.

Today he missed the trigger on flipping Legion’s Landing and tried to do it anyway then mentored an Adanto Vanguard when he shouldn’t have been able to.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Brobnar

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Dimir surveil is a fun time. I don't know if it's particularly good, but it's a fun way to pitch cards around and feels different from the aggro I normally play.

Propitious Jerk
Sep 13, 2010

Elyv posted:

the real question is where in the world are you playing against the card Quicksilver Fountain, some guy with a weird EDH deck?

Just playing Big Dumb Multiplayer at the dining room table with some friends. We gave EDH a go a few times but didn't care for it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Fat LSV rules. Hope he wins it.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Hoping he fully crushes Dezani on his way to a final with Yuuya.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

mcmagic posted:

Anyone but that Dezani guy

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Do we have the decklists yet?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

It's actually a clever name. It's referencing Brobdingnag (the giant nation from Gulliver's Travels) and in Magic would basically be Burn + Giants red

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Richard Garfield will be remembered as an auteur of perverse secondary economies rather than games.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

number one pta fan posted:

Richard Garfield will be remembered as an auteur of perverse secondary economies rather than games.

I dunno, I played King of Tokyo last night and it was pretty fun. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Where the hell is the top 8 ? I can't find it.