Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I was clearly joking. You're being creepy about it.

It’s called gossip. It’s been in vogue since people learned to communicate, calm down.

And no, you don’t get to award yourself wokeness points for calling out other people as problematic when you were literally the first person to bring it up completely out of the blue. “Just joking!” isn’t a catch all.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

Entrancing melody for the creature matchups and firemind's for the grindier matchups.

I have Firemind’s in as a one of but 3 just seems excessive and Entrancing Melody always seems so glacial.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Entrancing Melody is one of the few ways that deck can deal with Adanto Vanguard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I went all in on Selesnya in pack 2 and the arena bots passed me in picks 2, 3 and 4 of pack 3: Ral, Izzet Viceroy, Niz-Mizzet, Legion Warboss.

I thought they fixed it?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Lsv's got it all, the dad bod, the hot piece, and someone else to raise the kid lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Someone shop LSV with a sugar free Monster

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

What the hell are the 3 Entrancing Melody and Firemind’s Research for in the Izzet sideboard :psyduck:

Melody has been really good for me against aggro, the two for one and extra blocker has been great. Firemind's Research was awful every time I tried it, I'd only play it vs Grixis but I think that matchup is already good. The Jeskai decks have Teferi and Binding to deal with it, if they can interact with it, it's not a good plan. Someone tried it vs me in the mirror but I killed them well before it was relevant.

My super secret tech (DO NOT STEAL) has been one main deck Blink of an Eye. I'm switching between 3 and 4 electromancers, but Blink has been stellar, and you can completely blow people out with 1 mana bounce a permanent, or just gain a ton of tempo. I'm even leaving it in game two vs a lot of the decks I'm facing, because they bring in stuff like Binding of Ixalan for my crackling drakes, and you just end of turn bounce it, draw a card from the trigger, and either swing for lethal or cast your second drake.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Lsv's got it all, the dad bod, the hot piece, and someone else to raise the kid lol

:lol: lsv is my dad

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

tzirean posted:

Entrancing Melody is one of the few ways that deck can deal with Adanto Vanguard.

And just like that you’ve sold me

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Marketing New Brain posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/lsv/status/1061440220942475264

I’m not saying white weenie is bad, but I think winning die rolls and crushing limited had more to do with this top 8 than deckbuilding.

There's 6 Wx aggro decks in the t8 and all but one went 7-2-1 or better in constructed so I'm not sure what your point is here.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GoutPatrol posted:

edit: XLSV

Much love to LSV but also :laffo: at this

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Tournament report from bubbling out at a modern. Open today. 221 people, 8 rounds. Watch as I get paired up against tron four times!

F2F open R1
Vs Austin on green tron
Lose die roll
Win 2-0

G1: we both mull to 6 I keep 2 lander with wanderer, selfless, supreme, captain. Opponent cantrips a lot but only ever draws towers. I eventually draw a third land and the lords get it.

G2: I have double wanderer and phantasmal image and draw a Captain first draw. Opponent hits T3 tron with no payoff spell. I draw and play a damping sphere (it’s just ok) opponent cantrips and finds a sanction of ugin. Then passes. I swing and pass. Opponent finds a forest and passes so i coco at end step he nature’s claims the sphere in response. I hit two lords off coco, then untap and play lord phantasmal and swing for way more than lethal.

R2 vs Chris on BANT SPIRITS *air horn*
Lose die roll
Win 2-1

G1: opponent opens with shock wanderer, I open with fast land hierarch. So we both know what’s up. I end up baiting a queller so I can coco after and I get em. I win the lord race

G2: I keep a decent hand and draw a vial T1, then a second vial T2 but I never get over 3 mana and keep drawing cocos. Opponent draws many lords.

G3: I keep a T1 vial hand and my opponent plays all 3 vials. Opponent goes for a coco and I vial in a Captain in response for the captain lock and sac wanderer to counter. Opponent has vial on 2 and 3 and plays a worship with one card in hand. I move to combat (for lethal) opponent activates vial and puts in a spell queller and I activate vial before damage to return it to hand, gg.

R3 vs mono-blue tron
Lose the die roll
Lose 1-2

G1: I draw a Mix of land and spells and kill my opponent through an overloaded cyclonic rift

G2: mull to 5 (no lands in 7 or 6) opponent has natural tron into wurmcoil with chalice on one. I’m still at one land lmao

G3: my 7 has 3 sideboard cards and 1 land so I kill to 6. Has spells and creatures. Opponent has natural tron and walking ballista and I never see a fourth land while drawing 3 coco’s. RIP ME.

R4 vs G-Tron
Win die roll
Win 2-1

G1: I coco after my opponent lands an ugin and hit drogskol lock which is good. Then opponent plays ulamog followed by ulamog and double wurmcoil and I cannot race.

G2: I keep a creature filled hand and coco at end step into just a Geist (lmao) so I swing, opponent doesn’t have tron yet so I crack canopy at end step which drew stony silence, then untapped and drew damping sphere. Played both and opponent scooped.

G3 I had T1 hierarch into T2 damping sphere into triple end step coco’s. And that’s a lotta dimp.

R5 vs G-tron
Lose die roll
Win 2-0

G1: I mill to 6 and my opponent mulls to 5. I represent a clock while my opponent spins the wheels and comes up short.

G2. I have a tough decision here. My opponent goes T1 tron land, map pass. I go T1 hierarch pass. Opponent plays a forest and passes. My decision is between playing T2 Geist or T2 stony silence. I opt for geist to rep the clock (as opponent can just crack map in response) this does leave a window where they can play and crack a second map (risky, but fine). Instead they play a sultan scrying and I play the stony next turn. Opponent gets tron online and plays a ballista for 3 and then a ballista for 5 (saccing sanctum of ugin to get an ulamog). while I chip in with a mausoleum wanderer and selfless spirit. I sac canopy and draw a path then untap upkeep draw a damping sphere which means no ulamog. I path and swing for lethal, opponent nature’s claims an egg to stay alive but has a blocker. I draw a phantasmal to pump wanderer for exactly lethal.

R6 vs BANT SPIRITS
Lose the die roll
DRRRAAAAWWWWW 1-1-1

G1: opponent has more lords which is a deciding factor.

G2: we both land worship but I vial in a phantasmal copying knight of autumn after no blocks are declared.

G3: opponent lands worship but I have an overwhelming board state of 9 lords. I don’t find a knight of autumn in time and that’s game. Into the draw bracket

R7 vs Will on THE ROCK (gb)
Win the die roll
Win 2-0

G1 I land a T2 Geist and swing in a couple times. Opponent uses discard to shred my hand and then represents a hissing quagmire. Eventually I have two cards in hand and my opponent goes for a liliana which I spell queller; then he goes to abrupt decay the queller, which I also spell quell.

G2: I eat back to back to back to back inquisitions but they can’t get my coco. Board is supreme phantom, wanderer, selfless spirit and I swing in then coco during combat hitting two lords, hit opponent for 14 putting them at 2. They draw and scoop it up.

R8 vs neon on amulet combo
Win die roll
Win 2-0

G1 I go hierarch into kira into lord into coco lord lord while my opponent doesn’t see an amulet and thus dies

G2: I snap off T1 hierarch, then T2 spell queller a scrying, then play damping sphere. Opponent taps out for rec sage on my sphere and I play a second one followed by eidolon of rhetoric. Opponent only draws signet bounce lands that tap for a colorless.

Got 9th out of 221. Bubbles out of top 8 lmao owned

Decklist and sideboard:

Creature (30)
4 Drogskol Captain
1 Geist of Saint Traft
4 Mausoleum Wanderer
4 Noble Hierarch
2 Phantasmal Image
1 Rattlechains
3 Reflector Mage
2 Selfless Spirit
4 Spell Queller
4 Supreme Phantom
1 Kira, Great Glass Spinner

Instant (6)
4 Collected Company
2 Path to Exile

Artifact (3)
3 Aether Vial

Land (21)
2 Botanical Sanctum
1 Breeding Pool
1 Cavern of Souls
3 Flooded Strand
1 Forest
2 Hallowed Fountain
2 Horizon Canopy
1 Island
3 Misty Rainforest
1 Moorland Haunt
1 Plains
1 Temple Garden
2 Windswept Heath
60 Cards

Sideboard (15)
1 Geist of Saint Traft
2 Knight of Autumn
3 Rest in Peace
2 Stony Silence
1 Kataki, Wars Wage
1 Settle The Wreckage
2 Damping Sphere
2 Eidolon of Rhetoric
1 Worship

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I bet you feel REAL silly for doing all that winning and only getting 9th.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Hellsau posted:

I bet you feel REAL silly for doing all that winning and only getting 9th.

Hahaha, still got prizes, but I missed out on that top 8 playmat

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I feel bad for anyone who plays in the feature match area and gets told "yeah don't start your game 2. Sit tight for.... 10 minutes while we cover a different game"

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

ilmucche posted:

I feel bad for anyone who plays in the feature match area and gets told "yeah don't start your game 2. Sit tight for.... 10 minutes while we cover a different game"

I don't, because it's the loving Pro Tour.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
https://imgur.com/gallery/LAYKl

:catstare:

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

DangerDongs posted:

I want to know so badly what his harassment consisted of.
Was it creepy magic one-lines, rear end grabbing, magic one-liners and rear end grabbing.

a little late but a few people showed up on reddit claiming to be monderators of his twitch chat who hung out with them at some kind of meetup. According them he would get extremely drunk and then "accidentally" grab their thigh or something and hold his hand there.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Uhhhhhh

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

K-On is good and Azusa is good, yeah.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

In his top 8 profile he said the first person he'd call after winning the PT is her lmao

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Chill la Chill posted:

K-On is good and Azusa is good, yeah.

I dunno. I don’t think spending a day tweeting about licking animated high schoolers is good though, but maybe that’s a thing in the mtg pro scene.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Buffis posted:

I dunno. I don’t think spending a day tweeting about licking animated high schoolers is good though, but maybe that’s a thing in the mtg pro scene.

I think its more a thing in the Japanese twitter scene

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Buffis posted:

Licky licky
Or
Lick lick

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
This is the first Standard meta I've seriously participated in and the first Pro Tour I've watched in its entirety. I don't think I'll ever be able to track playing with paper but MtG has fully won my heart, I've had a great time so far and it feels like there's still a lot of give for variations on existing decks and maybe even new decks.

White Weenie with Experimental Frenzy looks hot. Phoenixes is red hot, that finish just then was entertaining to watch.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Japan is weird: news at 11.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Yuuya always seems to have brutal beats in PT top 8's.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

little munchkin posted:

a little late but a few people showed up on reddit claiming to be monderators of his twitch chat who hung out with them at some kind of meetup. According them he would get extremely drunk and then "accidentally" grab their thigh or something and hold his hand there.

I have heard a story from an extremely reputable source about him getting drunk and crawling naked into bed uninvited with someone so this sounds pretty believable.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

He isn't killing key witnesses in his own drug trial, nor playing the victim over committing a rape, so idgaf.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Standard decklists

10-0 & 9-1
https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptgrn/27-30-match-point-decklists-2018-11-11

7-2-1 & 7-3
https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptgrn/event-coverage/21-23-match-point-decklists-2018-11-11

6-3-1 & 6-4
https://magic.wizards.com/en/events/coverage/ptgrn/18-20-match-point-decklists-2018-11-11

:rip: the mono blue player who 10-0ed but must’ve bombed out on the draft rounds

Tainen fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 11, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I really like wilson mok's jeskai list and Im very sad it got knocked out because now we dont get to see anymore of it.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

I don’t like mono U but it does style hard on mono white. The matchup is a joke and the sb games with more sleep are a complete rout.

E: The Izzet Phoenix decks are well represented and no two lists are alike.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 11, 2018

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Marketing New Brain posted:

I don’t like mono U but it does style hard on mono white. The matchup is a joke and the sb games with more sleep are a complete rout.

E: The Izzet Phoenix decks are well represented and no two lists are alike.

Mirari Conjecture is some unbelievable spice, holy poo poo

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Did the cheater lose in the top it yet?

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day

Sickening posted:

Did the cheater lose in the top it yet?

Cheater vs LSV semi-final mirror match.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

t1 rustwing falcon vs t1 healers hawk

wasn't I promised Teferis and Drakes?!?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rustwing Falcon confirmed more powerful card than Teferi.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Literally more Rustwing Falcons in this T8 than Forests and Swamps combined

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Elyv posted:

Literally more Rustwing Falcons in this T8 than Forests and Swamps combined

More falcons than Teferis and Chainwhirlers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012