Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Corporate Megathread: It's legitimately depressing and I have made a huge mistake moving here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't think it is, I think they're just dysfunctional as gently caress. It seems like that with the exception of me and the new head of team brought in for my team the company hires kids and tells them they're getting "training" and keeps hammering home how lucky they are to even have jobs. We're a small company so losing two people is literally half the development team gone, and if they lost two from my team that's a 50% drop in revenue off the bat. It's legitimately depressing and I have made a huge mistake moving here.

Enjoy your mountain of New Grad frankencode to maintain.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

withoutclass posted:

Corporate Megathread: It's legitimately depressing and I have made a huge mistake moving here.

Too real man too real

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Arquinsiel posted:

... hires kids and tells them they're getting "training" and keeps hammering home how lucky they are to even have jobs.

I hate this, my first 2 years out of school were hell, I think I still have trauma.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Volmarias posted:

Enjoy your mountain of New Grad frankencode to maintain.
Even worse, technically the dev team are making tools for us pentesters to use. Unfortunately the head of the dev team, and the owner of the company, both believe they know what we need and want better than we do. Also better than our customers do. Because it's the same tooling.. :negative:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Democratic Pirate posted:

Stop sending non-technical end users raw data dumps of unformatted numbers with database fields as column headers!

no, and moreover, gently caress you :mad:

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Well, microwaving fish officially doesn’t matter because a colleague broke out some Durian and has been eating it in the little two table break room. I wish I was making this up. Smell 2/10 would not consume.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I got chastised today by it for printing tax forms because I was wasting company resources.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Arquinsiel posted:

I don't think it is, I think they're just dysfunctional as gently caress. It seems like that with the exception of me and the new head of team brought in for my team the company hires kids and tells them they're getting "training" and keeps hammering home how lucky they are to even have jobs. We're a small company so losing two people is literally half the development team gone, and if they lost two from my team that's a 50% drop in revenue off the bat. It's legitimately depressing and I have made a huge mistake moving here.

Oh, lol, your place just sucks

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Democratic Pirate posted:

Our data scientists do a lot of cool work beyond excel. It would be immeasurably more appreciated if they ever learned formatting. Stop sending non-technical end users raw data dumps of unformatted numbers with database fields as column headers!

Ok, I'll send unformatted json. No more column headers.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Lockback posted:

Oh, lol, your place just sucks
And how. I'm legit contemplating just bailing this week and being unemployed while I hunt.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Whenever I really start questioning why I hang around year after year, I make it to bonus season and they write me a check for approximately $Texas. Then I truck along happily for another 9 months or so until it starts to hurt again. :v:

This year was $88,500ish. I really need a :goldenhandcuffs: emoticon or something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Buy it yourself, bonus man. :retrogames:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
: retrogames : is a fabulous name for that tag. Still a little sad that my grandmother threw out my "tiny television" I'd put in a box in the attic when I went off to college.

It was a motherfucking VECTREX.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 13, 2024

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
You pre-emptively deserved it for:

Sundae posted:

through out

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Ok, I'll send unformatted json. No more column headers.

I'm about to have this exact discussion with audit lol.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Also I piled some work onto a reportee and the response from others has been "oh great!" Because it'll mean that they're not just doing everything, except for one who said "is he ok taking this on?" which threw me as a question because I nearly said "well he doesn't have a choice so..." and had to try and stumble something a bit more diplomatic.

As best as I can tell, they seem to think that this is outside his area and I guess they think everyone should just be doing the one thing they do and that's it? I have no idea.

This is the guy that doesn't seem to do much so it's not like he didn't have capacity.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Trabant posted:

You pre-emptively deserved it for:

Oh good lord I did. gently caress.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
A Manufacturing line went down today because methheads stole the power lines feeding the building.

Meanwhile I've had to spend the day with our senior vp of sales and he can't figure out why our extremely talented and promising new hire left after he canceled raises, bonuses, training, and Christmas for the year.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
Thread title is oof

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Atopian posted:

Thread title is oof

Yahhhh, you're right. I was grinning earlier, but now it just makes me sad. Chairs are for closers.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Did something happen involving chairs that I missed?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Sundae posted:

Did you get the memo? I'll make sure you get another copy of the memo.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sundae posted:

Just reverted back to the prior thread title, cus yah, on second thought that was too drat dark. Even for me.

It's from this post, where priznat was talking about his office converting cubes to a much denser standing desk layout. With piss partitions or something in between to make it somewhat bearable.

priznat posted:

lol no there will be partitions!

Also kneeling is optional but chairs are for closers

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Ah, I must've missed the new version. OK then.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sundae posted:

Ah, I must've missed the new version. OK then.

First post in this page was the title for a few hours.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
dense desk update: there are no piss partitions, but they are not sit/stand, only sit. However they do have fantastic views as they're facing out on a curved window section. They're actually pretty good for hotel type desks!

Chairs are still for closers though

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Brookfield Place Tower 1 used to* have great views from the urinals.
You didn't actually face outwards, but the whole side wall of the mens' room (and presumably ladies', but not quite such a treat for them) was glass.

* they frosted the glass after a few years. Not sure why, I would love to get someone from FM drunk one day and get the story.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Forget if I mentioned this here but the urinals at my work are possibly the worst I have ever encountered. Way too low with a flat base that makes it almost impossible to use without getting splashback all over the place. I just go into a stall instead. Not the one closest to the urinals as the splashback on those is so bad I heard that some folks got their shoes sprayed while sitting on that toilet, eww.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Forgot who it was but didn't someone ITT have toilet stalls with huge windows in the sides so you can see your colleague grimacing? Why bother even having walls at that point, just go full USMC.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That is a human rights violation!!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

At my old job the (brand new!) building was kitted out with toilets where the lid covered the flush so you had to put it down to flush them. This creates the nightmare scenario of entering the cubicle and having to lift the lid like a Pandora's box of poo poo.

priznat posted:

That is a human rights violation!!

You can't cut back on toilets! You will regret this!

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

like a Pandora's box of poo poo.

Now there's a thread title

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Just overheard boss talking to another boss about requests for ergo keyboards for $200 requiring them to get an ergonomic assessment first which is $400 lol

One dude at my work has literally every possible ergonomic doodad and it’s like dude maybe working on computers is not for you. It’s trying to kill you.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009

Atopian posted:

Now there's a thread title

Shrodinger's shitter maybe

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

priznat posted:

Just overheard boss talking to another boss about requests for ergo keyboards for $200 requiring them to get an ergonomic assessment first which is $400 lol

One dude at my work has literally every possible ergonomic doodad and it’s like dude maybe working on computers is not for you. It’s trying to kill you.

He may just be collecting ergonomic doodads on the company's dime because he can.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

At my old job the (brand new!) building was kitted out with toilets where the lid covered the flush so you had to put it down to flush them. This creates the nightmare scenario of entering the cubicle and having to lift the lid like a Pandora's box of poo poo.

never know what you're gonna get

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Baddog posted:

Yahhhh, you're right. I was grinning earlier, but now it just makes me sad. Chairs are for closers.
Honestly making thread title is the hilight of my day, when my goal starting out was to get my probation extended so I don't get stuck with a three-month notice period. Mission accomplished :getin:

How loving perverse is that?

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I put an hour and a half of focus time on my calendar that means I'll get to focus for an hour right? Right?

nope instead you get 3 different high priority issues coming your way you need to help the team solve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you don't think you can get away with an actual Unicomp, here you go: https://www.amazon.com/TECWARE-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches-Excellent/dp/B076YHBQYJ

Surprisingly solid build for the price of a midrange rubber dome. The only thing that sucks about them are the keycaps, which are cheap and easy to replace.

(The Unicomp is like $120 now but is totally indestructible and you can do whatever you want to it, your heirs will inherit it when you die. Unfortunately if you work around other people that might happen a lot sooner than you intended because of the racket the buckling springs make.)

Holy crap this thing is so much better than the twice-the-price corsair. I'd go with the unicomp but they're super backordered and I really wanted backlight on this one because of where it's at/how it gets used.

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm kinda curious how bad it will be so I'll take you up on that if no one else does. If someone likelier to actually use it a lot than I am wants it though it's all theirs.

Yeah, drop me a PM if you're still interested. It really is garbage if you don't type perfectly hovered over all keys without touhing them especially the space bar. It's not clear why the keys have any travel at all, since it's just not required to activate them with the switches up that high and zero mechanical or audible feedback to indicate you have.