Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Pretty much the only thing I remember about the 1.0 time gently caress story line are the parts relating to Ascilla so I can't really say for sure how much real Yda there really was but I don't think there could have been much, right? I know you meet them in-echo if you started in Gridania, and then they kinda don't pop up again until you meet up with Minfillia and the Scions in the present day at which point she is already Lyse, and also its Lyse punching Gaius' bullets away in Future's Perfect and that's all you need to care about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

In some form or another, yes. Dalmasca and Rabanastre (FFXII Ivalice locations) have been labeled as places in FFXIV.

The most compelling evidence that I've seen (beyond hinting on Yoshi-P's part and the announcement of an Ivalice raid written by Yasumi Matsuno himself in Stormblood) is the map:

Now, take it, rotate it 90 degrees to the left, and then overlay it on top of the island to the southeast of Lionel in the south of Ivalice:

Of course, what separates all of these potential Ivalices from eachother is *time*. XII's Ivalice is some time in the future post FFT,FFT's Ivalice is some time in the future post FFXII, we have no idea how FFT or XII relates to XIV. And sufficient time means tectonic activity, so the edges of all these continents and land masses and bodies of water are fungible.

edit: I keep getting the timeline mixed up. If the FFXII port weren't coming this summer, I'd play through it for the first time. (Or rather would it be playing itself, har har har gambit joke)

Neat! And yeah I really like the setting, with FFT and Vagrant Story and XII and A/A2 all being chronologically separated eras that discover the occasional ancient artifact from prior ones, it's good worldbuilding.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

homeless snail posted:

Pretty much the only thing I remember about the 1.0 time gently caress story line are the parts relating to Ascilla so I can't really say for sure how much real Yda there really was but I don't think there could have been much, right? I know you meet them in-echo if you started in Gridania, and then they kinda don't pop up again until you meet up with Minfillia and the Scions in the present day at which point she is already Lyse, and also its Lyse punching Gaius' bullets away in Future's Perfect and that's all you need to care about

I'm pretty sure that you spend more time with the Scions in the Echo than outside the Echo in 1.0. So, 3.56 spoilers: The Yda you get to know in 1.0, as the player (and not the character), is the real Yda. Lyse only shows up later, but the story was kind of an unfinished mess and didn't do much with her for forever.

e: Not that it really matters because nobody played 1.0 anyway.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Well the leadup into Stormblood wasn't on the level as to Heavensward in my opinion, but the identity of the big blue ball was a nice surprise.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

As a Patient Credits-Watcher, I would like to offer the following bit of non-sequitur commentary:

THEY loving CHANGED AYMERIC'S VOICE ACTOR.

(I thought he sounded weird in that like one line he got in Gridania.)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Vil posted:

As a Patient Credits-Watcher, I would like to offer the following bit of non-sequitur commentary:

THEY loving CHANGED AYMERIC'S VOICE ACTOR.

(I thought he sounded weird in that like one line he got in Gridania.)

I'm pretty sure Bram Stormlike is just a pseudonym for Blake Ritson, seeing as it's almost an anagram.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Well the leadup into Stormblood wasn't on the level as to Heavensward in my opinion, but the identity of the big blue ball was a nice surprise.

It's absolutely not as "everything loving explodes' but it really shouldn't be. Heavensward was a low moment while Stormblood seems to be a "now it's time to take the poo poo to them" moment.

(Also I'm pretty relieved that The Warrior of Samus Aran didn't lose all her crystal armor upgrades against by smashing into a wall.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Overall I am rather hype for Stormblood even if the ending was lower-key than ARR into Heavensward.

ImpAtom posted:

So? It's a plot development point for her. She's not supposed to be a different character. This is literally a common JRPG plot twist.

Character Development is character development after all and Yda is the Scion that's needed it most post ARR Clustercluck!

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty sure Bram Stormlike is just a pseudonym for Blake Ritson, seeing as it's almost an anagram.

Okay yeah that's probably it. Missing an N, extra R, two extra Ms, but otherwise perfect anagram.

I still maintain that his one line sounded weird though.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I like how during the end credits, they give the correct person the Big Boss position in the voice credits roll. And then he appears. Sort of. :unsmith:

As for the content itself, I think they could have done a bit more but I enjoyed it. I don't know what I was expecting for Gosetsu's characterization, but it wasn't Samurai Reinhardt. I'm cool with that though.

I'm also very glad that Shinryu finally made an appearance, and an appropriately badass one at that. The cutscene was great, though I get the impression they really wanted to do that in CGI if only they had the budget/time to make it. Having Omega and Shinryu KO each other was kind of a cop-out but they painted themselves in a corner there, can't leave either of them roaming around free without it being an apocalyptic problem.

As for Yda/Lyse, the reveal was kind of awkward and out of the blue but I don't care because she's still my bro and I will follow her to Gyr Abania to punch dudes all day long.

Virulence
Jun 14, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

That's what he was credited as when he was introduced in 2.4, and I don't think he was one of the VAs that changed for 3.0.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I quite liked this patch. The new costume is alright. I dig the tie. Something about it isn't properly badass though. I feel like almost all of the other Scions have better costumes (lookin at you, Thancred). Omega vs Shinryu was cool as poo poo. The Yda/Lyse thing was whatever. I'm still super excited for Stormblood. I wish to do ninja things to bad people until I am allowed to do samurai things to bad people.

I marked pretty hard when I recognized Omega and Shinryu busting out their FFV moves. I also did that lil "oh hey" when Cid brought up the Crystal Tower.

I understand feeling like this one wasn't as high stakes as the lead into Heavensward. It wasn't, but I think I'm very ok with that. It shows how much things have changed.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I also did that lil "oh hey" when Cid brought up the Crystal Tower.
Speaking of, does that dialogue change if you haven't done that quest, like with the coil reference in 3.3?

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

My FC is now offically an Anime

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

homeless snail posted:

Speaking of, does that dialogue change if you haven't done that quest, like with the coil reference in 3.3?

It must. I haven't done that tower and it wasn't brought up at all.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

ImpAtom posted:

It must. I haven't done that tower and it wasn't brought up at all.

Yeah, if you haven't done the CT raids, Cid just brings up that Nero was a subordinate of Gaius as the reason why we shouldn't trust him.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

So here's a question. Omega was originally used to subdue the primal Bahamut, right? And as I understand it, the primal Bahamut was orders of magnitude stronger than actual Bahamut was, and actual Bahamut was the strongest of Middy's progeny. So why did Omega struggle to get a mutual KO against a creature that was made out of the eyes of Nidhogg and a bunch of Ala Mhigan sad?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Klades posted:

So here's a question. Omega was originally used to subdue the primal Bahamut, right? And as I understand it, the primal Bahamut was orders of magnitude stronger than actual Bahamut was, and actual Bahamut was the strongest of Middy's progeny. So why did Omega struggle to get a mutual KO against a creature that was made out of the eyes of Nidhogg and a bunch of Ala Mhigan sad?
So when a Garlean engineer that speaks and acts like a 13 y.o. that has found a beetle to play with on the ground skips a few steps in the process of activating a thing...

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Klades posted:

It was likely pristine, as opposed to whatever state Omega was in before they put it in stasis. Plus, it may have had support from other Allagan forces/constructs, etc.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
I liked that Quattro showed up again, its been a while since he was part of the story. It was cool that he let me fly his custom Rick Dias. I hope he and Amuro stay buddies, and figure out how to use that psychoframe mobile armor to fight the outside invaders.

Tho I heard a rumor he may go back to his old ways in the next installment...

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Klades posted:

Primals get power boosts the way they're summoned, with things like using ritual tools from a sacrificed worshiper bumping regular primals up from Hard to Extreme levels. In this case Shinryu was created with two near inexhaustible pools of aether, along with mass living sacrifices. This gave it enough power to match if not exceed Bahamut itself. Also don't forget that Omega wasn't trying to kill Shinryu, it was trying to capture it.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Eopia posted:

Primals get power boosts the way they're summoned, with things like using ritual tools from a sacrificed worshiper bumping regular primals up from Hard to Extreme levels. In this case Shinryu was created with two near inexhaustible pools of aether, along with mass living sacrifices. This gave it enough power to match if not exceed Bahamut itself. Also don't forget that Omega wasn't trying to kill Shinryu, it was trying to capture it.

The last bit makes a lot of sense, but I think it would be odd to imagine that Shinryu is stronger than Primal Bahamut was back in the day. Even if we assume Nidhogg had somehow become primal in nature, he (and thus his eyes) should still be weaker than Bahamut, as Bahamut was stronger in life than Nidhogg, and Primal Bahamut was fueled by the prayers of most of the dragon race instead of a relative handful of dead guys.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Klades posted:

The last bit makes a lot of sense, but I think it would be odd to imagine that Shinryu is stronger than Primal Bahamut was back in the day. Even if we assume Nidhogg had somehow become primal in nature, he (and thus his eyes) should still be weaker than Bahamut, as Bahamut was stronger in life than Nidhogg, and Primal Bahamut was fueled by the prayers of most of the dragon race instead of a relative handful of dead guys.

Bahamut was also summoned like any normal primal, using just crystals and prayer, so not exactly its full potential.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Klades posted:

I have a couple ideas here.

Shinryu isn't necessarily related to Midgardsomr, and at the very least is not one of his children. Living Shinryu may have been stronger than Bamahut, or even stronger than Midgardsomr himself.
Bahamut was stronger than Nidhogg thousands of years ago. His eyes have been gathering all that aether since then, including a huge amount of time in the dragonsong war, used by the Azure Dragoon, used by King Thordan, and absorbed an Ascian. That might beef them up a little.
The ambient aether is magnitudes higher now than during the Allagan era. Since the seal at silvertear was broken, you might only need a group of sacrificed zealots to equal the power an entire race would have.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Eopia posted:

Like a dung beatle it was going to subdue Shinryu. Roll it up in an aethershell ball and shove it into the sky like before.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I have a couple ideas here.

Shinryu isn't necessarily related to Midgardsomr, and at the very least is not one of his children. Living Shinryu may have been stronger than Bamahut, or even stronger than Midgardsomr himself.
Bahamut was stronger than Nidhogg thousands of years ago. His eyes have been gathering all that aether since then, including a huge amount of time in the dragonsong war, used by the Azure Dragoon, used by King Thordan, and absorbed an Ascian. That might beef them up a little.
The ambient aether is magnitudes higher now than during the Allagan era. Since the seal at silvertear was broken, you might only need a group of sacrificed zealots to equal the power an entire race would have.

As far as that goes, I wouldn't delve too deeply into it. Shinryu and Omega kind of have a duality or tag team thing going on in several other FF games, so thematically it fits that they would be evenly matched. It seemed more like a "wouldn't it be cool to smash our most awesome toys together" moment than one where they strictly cared about quantifying power levels beyond saying that they are both REALLY powerful.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

TheHeadSage posted:

Yeah, if you haven't done the CT raids, Cid just brings up that Nero was a subordinate of Gaius as the reason why we shouldn't trust him.

Now I have to know if they have some intermediate dialogue between CT and WOD where Nero is MIA.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Thundarr posted:

Roelanders are fine, but let's not open the door for tatercatgirl abominations.

We'll find out in 5.0 that Krile's hood doesn't have ears just for cosmetic purposes.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

e: Square-Enix should make an effort to get all the story cutscenes from FFXIV 1.0 up and running and upload them to YT, honestly. Weird that a huge relevant chunk of the story detail for this game is essentially non-existent.

1.0 nearly killed SE as a company. They aren't going to have much reason to put effort in to saving and sharing anything from that trainwreck unless it's being used as a warning.

homeless snail posted:

In some form. The 24 man raid series in Stormblood is called "Return to Ivalice" and Matsuno is involved, and Dalmasca and Rabanastre are names of places in the world somewhere. Its easy to get the impression that everyone that works on this game are huge Matsuno fans.

We need to visit Xytegenia and Palatinus in 6.0 after we've dealt with the Empire.

And a FFMQ event so we can get the boss music as an orchestron roll.

Klades posted:

Master Roshi was able to take on a bunch of Freiza henchmen in Resurrection F and DBS despite having a double-digit power level. Don't try to over analyze things too much, just enjoy the purestrain :japan:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Why is Aymerics outfit male only :(

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Xun posted:

Why is Aymerics outfit male only :(

Gender equality.

Ladies can't have all the cool things.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Klades posted:

There's also the whole angle that in FFV, Shinryu is stronger than Bahamut. Because while Mega Flare does 9999 damage by the time Bahamut even gets to cast it Shinryu's already hit you with Tidal Wave, Snowstorm, Zombie Breath and something else that either does inane amounts of damage or outright kills you.

Evil Fluffy posted:

And a FFMQ event so we can get the boss music as an orchestron roll.
And the Final Boss Music. And the Final Dungeon Music. And that one song the band plays in Fireburg. And that one mountain dungeon theme.

Aww heck with it, full FFMQ Soundtrack covers please Soken!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EponymousMrYar posted:

And the Final Boss Music. And the Final Dungeon Music. And that one song the band plays in Fireburg. And that one mountain dungeon theme.

Aww heck with it, full FFMQ Soundtrack covers please Soken!

If we're going to be cruelly denied our Kefka fight and accompanying cover of Dancing Mad, at least do this for us Soken.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kuvo posted:

I liked that Quattro showed up again, its been a while since he was part of the story. It was cool that he let me fly his custom Rick Dias. I hope he and Amuro stay buddies, and figure out how to use that psychoframe mobile armor to fight the outside invaders.

Tho I heard a rumor he may go back to his old ways in the next installment...

I can't wait for Alphinaud to end up catatonic after the final battle of Stormblood.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Evil Fluffy posted:

1.0 nearly killed SE as a company. They aren't going to have much reason to put effort in to saving and sharing anything from that trainwreck unless it's being used as a warning.

But they are sharing a huge chunk of it right now, it's called FFXIV A Realm Reborn, Heavensward and Stormblood. It plays a lot differently but many assets are the same. (Also the new Dissidia uses 1.0 era designs for Y'shtola).

Besides, they're obviously not going to do much about it if it takes a bunch of money to make the client run properly, but if they can get a dev build running in a vacuum where they can get nVidia Shadowplay to record the cutscenes they flag with the dev tools, it's not going to be this massive undertaking

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I'd totally watch a 1.0 let's play. The cutscenes alone would probably be pretty disjointed though.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

Mymla posted:

I'd totally watch a 1.0 let's play. The cutscenes alone would probably be pretty disjointed though.

Not quite what you're after, but I found an SSLP of 1.0 back when I was planning my own. I still love how abruptly it ends before Yoshi-P was put in charge and brought in the Dalamud stuff.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Evil Fluffy posted:

From what I've heard it was more seen as a potential death knell for FF. If a main series FF tanked, they feared the brand wouldn't be able to recover.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The real Shinryu is arguably one of the biggest threats in Final Fantasy, like Gilgamesh he's generally the same Shinryu across appearances. The events of Dissidia only took place because he felt like clowning on all the protagonists at full power and he fucks off after they break the cycle he establishes. It makes sense from a lore perspective that a primal made in his image would be magnitudes more powerful than a primal made in the image of Bahamut.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Regarding Primal Power Levels and the patch MSQ.

Do we know if who the Primal is based on has much to do with the Summoned Primal's strength, and not merely their shape? It was a major plot point that the Primals are decidedly NOT the heroic figures that inspire their creation, wouldn't that leave it as a matter of Faith and Aether used to summon them? If so, that might explain it; the dragons might not have tried cutting out their own eyeballs to summon Bahamut, or if they did, it might not have been the eyes of a first brood dragon like Nidhogg.

I'm also a bit surprised it wasn't Rhalgr. Not displeased, mind you, but it really felt like they were building up to that given the Little Ala Mhigo quest about the time we had to stop them before. Also I couldn't think of any other God or Hero figure he would want to summon. I guess we'll find out more about Shiryu and why he was who Ilbred summoned in the expansion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

When is the next cinvention event or whatever where they would show off more Stormblood?

• Locked thread