Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

electric-jellyfish
May 24, 2020

My partner and I also live in Austin for now. I feel like I'm counting down the months until we can leave (about a year left to go), and wishing it was sooner so we could know where we were moving next before we get completely priced out of home ownership. I'm glad I found the people I did in this city through political organizing, because the flakey millenial techbro vibes are strong here and it can be tough to find social groups otherwise. But the continued gentrification of this city + the godawful state government whose sole drive is to own the libs + the reactionary backlash that city politics have taken have really weighed me down and it's time to get out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

silentsnack posted:

nah. before you get foreclosed you invite over an entire homeless encampment to hang out, and then rent your house out for free to anyone that wants and give them all legitimate leases (for 500 years or whatev) so the bank has to deal with 50 separate evictions

:hmmyes:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

gay_crimes posted:

number is fake, money is fake, real estate is fake, it’s all a pyramid scheme, if you participate in housing you’re a fool and a mark and are being scammed and you live in a bad, overrated and expensive city or a hellhole cheap dump that’s only getting worse. you’re either owned by a tyrannical landlord or a bank. enjoy your wage slavery in an ever more precarious market economy that is one big scam that is simultaneously too complex to fully understand while also too dumb to be worth understanding. enjoy choking on smoke or drowning. you’re literally the dumbest motherfucker alive if you aren’t living in a converted 1990s blue bird model bus that you drive around the UP or Washington state. also, if you have a family, you’re dumb as hell. number.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Everyone ITT is too busy going at each other's throats, I haven't seen anyone talk about that expose on Amazon shipping hubs being intentionally designed to be PTSD-inducing hell hangers with over 150% turnover because Jeff Bezos thinks if anyone works at the same job for more than three months they'll become lazy, shiftless ni-moochers who will be a drain on society and, more importantly, his bottom line.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I've been informed that those grapes are sour and sus and counter-revolutionary

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Father Wendigo posted:

Everyone ITT is too busy going at each other's throats, I haven't seen anyone talk about that expose on Amazon shipping hubs being intentionally designed to be PTSD-inducing hell hangers with over 150% turnover because Jeff Bezos thinks if anyone works at the same job for more than three months they'll become lazy, shiftless ni-moochers who will be a drain on society and, more importantly, his bottom line.

would read this if you linked it

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

would read this if you linked it

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1405880249036988430?s=19

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

electric-jellyfish posted:

My partner and I also live in Austin for now. I feel like I'm counting down the months until we can leave (about a year left to go), and wishing it was sooner so we could know where we were moving next before we get completely priced out of home ownership. I'm glad I found the people I did in this city through political organizing, because the flakey millenial techbro vibes are strong here and it can be tough to find social groups otherwise. But the continued gentrification of this city + the godawful state government whose sole drive is to own the libs + the reactionary backlash that city politics have taken have really weighed me down and it's time to get out.

just trying to get a sense of it. what does millenial techbro vibes actually look like?

e: i was there in the beginning of march before and during everything closing down. Liked it well enough. Well liked the tacos.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Shageletic posted:

just trying to get a sense of it. what does millenial techbro vibes actually look like?

e: i was there in the beginning of march before and during everything closing down. Liked it well enough. Well liked the tacos.

Ever met someone who would praise Elon Musk and how his genius will save us all? Imagine a city full of those.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Shageletic posted:

insufferably liberal or libertarian guy between 25-40 with a beard and more money than me, likes to talk crypto

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

:siren: :siren: No longer DOW34K :siren: :siren:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

NeonPunk posted:

Ever met someone who would praise Elon Musk and how his genius will save us all? Imagine a city full of those.

basically "I loving love science!" condensed into human shape.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i would love to see the cost benefit analysis of having 150% turnover in your warehouses vs spending a little bit of money to improve conditions such that you don't have 150% turnover in your warehouses

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

lobster shirt posted:

i would love to see the cost benefit analysis of having 150% turnover in your warehouses vs spending a little bit of money to improve conditions such that you don't have 150% turnover in your warehouses

lol this guy still thinks capitalism is about efficiency

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

silentsnack posted:

nah. before you get foreclosed you invite over an entire homeless encampment to hang out, and then rent your house out for free to anyone that wants and give them all legitimate leases (for 500 years or whatev) so the bank has to deal with 50 separate evictions

if you do this right they cant evict til the lease ends. it gets really into the weeds on legal technicalities but there is some absolutely wild poo poo you can pull off, and the sovereign citizens love to do this type of stuff

one thing i'm idly thinking about - rent isn't much cheaper in places with low property taxes, or is it? has anyone seen a systematic comparison to see if ptax shows up in rent or is it mostly a 'what will people pay'

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

lobster shirt posted:

I guess that also assumes an endless supply of new workers. An assumption which is increasingly breaking down across multiple industries.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

lobster shirt posted:

Amazon literally does not want to improve conditions, the hostility is literally a feature demanded by Bezos.

Bezos is on the record saying if someone works for more than three months, they will begin to grow complacent which leads to lazy shiftlessness. He wants his wearhouses to be like "the marine corps, where life is miserable so you do your two years and leave."

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
god I want to get a job at amazon in my spare time and just gently caress off not doing anything for as long as I can and see how long to takes to get fired, probably just eat thc gummies all day

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BloombergLive/status/1405892018266640391?s=20

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
^ lol gently caress me

Thoguh posted:

I guess that also assumes an endless supply of new workers. An assumption which is increasingly breaking down across multiple industries.

I love how everything about america is defined by unhandled infinities, crossing the event horizon owns

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

mastershakeman posted:

if you do this right they cant evict til the lease ends. it gets really into the weeds on legal technicalities but there is some absolutely wild poo poo you can pull off, and the sovereign citizens love to do this type of stuff

so why doesn't everyone who is getting foreclosed just "lease" the house to themselves (or their brother or something) for $1/per year for 50,000 years

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
So I have a well off friend who is moving soon and his goal is to buy a house before his birthday. He's owned and sold before and money is not an issue because he was born into wealth. Despite that you guys make me wonder if he'll even be able to get one but idk. Also a coworker is shopping for cars lol like do you even read the news bows not the time

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Ardennes posted:

I mean I don’t have a problem with investing but let’s not pretend a mortgage isn’t a speculative investment like anything else.

this is true but in the interim I do get to live in it. try living in gold or stonks.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Koirhor posted:

god I want to get a job at amazon in my spare time and just gently caress off not doing anything for as long as I can and see how long to takes to get fired, probably just eat thc gummies all day

Warehouses/Factories and especially hellacious output ones like Amazon will fire people within a single day if they aren't meeting metrics so you aren't going to steal wages from Jeff Bezos for very long.

That's how they have such high turnover. Bring in 20 people. 15 of them show up for their first day. 5 walk out after seeing what it's like. 3-4 are fired for being incapable of doing the work. Over the next few weeks the original 20 is boiled down to a few people who can tolerate a living nightmare. They might quit but it will be months/weeks later for random reasons.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005

Koirhor posted:

Good news! Marketplace was also talking this morning about Amazon's 'Lights Out' Human Resources initiative, where hiring and firing are totally automated and designed to never involve actual humans.

electric-jellyfish
May 24, 2020

Shageletic posted:

gay_crimes posted:

insufferably liberal or libertarian guy between 25-40 with a beard and more money than me, likes to talk crypto

This is a good summary. I'm a woman (and was with my partner prior to moving down here), so truthfully, I don't have as much direct exposure to the techbro vibes as someone who is meeting more guys. I ran into the lady-equivalent though when trying to make friends. Very liberal politics as an identity but little interest in understanding the politics of the city, came to Austin because it's a cool place to be but not really putting roots down here, just here to have a good time. It feels like a place with a lot of shallow, instagram friends / meeting people for networking.

There are some very good people here in Austin but I don't think I would have found them without getting involved in politics (DSA, mostly) or having some sort of hobby with a sense of community. Meeting people otherwise can be tough here.

electric-jellyfish has issued a correction as of 15:35 on Jun 18, 2021

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Koirhor posted:

from everything i've heard about the work environment, you would probably be ejected the first day

their interview process is also ridiculous

it's a lot of work for a bad job

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

How is number friends?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lawman 0 posted:

How is number friends?

Shaking today with lots of expiring volume. Should see a higher VIX day and it should be a down day.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

So I have a well off friend who is moving soon and his goal is to buy a house before his birthday. He's owned and sold before and money is not an issue because he was born into wealth. Despite that you guys make me wonder if he'll even be able to get one but idk. Also a coworker is shopping for cars lol like do you even read the news bows not the time

What makes you think car prices will drop lmao. Number go up, they’re selling so they won’t ever drop even when it’s easier to get them here again.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

electric-jellyfish posted:

This is a good summary. I'm a woman (and was with my partner prior to moving down here), so truthfully, I don't have as much direct exposure to the techbro vibes as someone who is meeting more guys. I ran into the lady-equivalent though when trying to make friends. Very liberal politics as an identity but little interest in understanding the politics of the city, came to Austin because it's a cool place to be but not really putting roots down here, just here to have a good time. It feels like a place with a lot of shallow, instagram friends / meeting people for networking.

There are some very good people here in Austin but I don't think I would have found them without getting involved in politics (DSA, mostly).

I saw someone say that Austin has marketed itself as a Cool City for decades and as a result has attracted a lot of people who are so desperate to be cool that they move to a place that markets itself as a Cool City.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Koirhor posted:

in the NYTimes article (which is full of effusive praise for Amazon lol) there is a lady who worked at Amazon for months, who was actually cool with being tracked and performed well relative to her coworkers, etc etc. She missed her bus once and her station at work was occupied so she tried to get another assignment, but the system didn't put it through properly.

She was flagged as not working hard enough and fired that same day

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Shifty Pony posted:

I saw someone say that Austin has marketed itself as a Cool City for decades and as a result has attracted a lot of people who are so desperate to be cool that they move to a place that markets itself as a Cool City.

So... It's Millennial Miami?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Rutibex posted:

so why doesn't everyone who is getting foreclosed just "lease" the house to themselves (or their brother or something) for $1/per year for 50,000 years

theres a lot of laws to try to stop you from doing this. frankly most people just arent interested in duking it out in court and trying to pull off crazy stunts like that. but a few hundred do every year in major cities and surprise, they get to dodge the eviction for 5+ years, stuff like that
and one legal aid agency here represented tenants who 100% of the time had 2 year leases which was always a bit suspicious

i considered doing voluntary foreclosure at one point and i was going to fight it out for the 5 years there and also rent a room to my brother in law who would be paying me in cash (oh gosh no proof, weird) and would need a separate eviction etc etc.

remember that unless you know exactly how to pull this off, your credit is gonna get wrecked because simply having an eviction suit with your name on it will make it near impossible to rent, so you have to seal the record almost instantly. heck, a friend of mine has had security deposits stolen with the landlord saying so in an email, and still didnt go after it because of the fear she'd never be able to rent if she sued him

heres a couple of the longer cases i remember working on, i got laid off from that job so have no idea who ended up winning or if the bank just gave up

Activity Date: 04/18/2013 EVICTION COMPLAINT FILED
* a million sovcit filings happen*
Activity Date: 07/13/2018 SHERIFFS EVICTION AFFIDAVIT FILED

Activity Date: 10/03/2014 EVICTION COMPLAINT FILED
Activity Date: 09/05/2018 APPELLATE COURT MANDATE - AFFIRMED
that guy had a prior foreclosure too, which started in 09, so he was there at least 9 years

in the latter one they didnt even fight the eviction even though they had relatives in other units, and easily could've fought those for ages
Activity Date: 11/18/2010 MULTI-UNIT RESIDENTIAL MORTGAGE FORECLOSURE FILED
Activity Date: 12/05/2017 SHERIFF'S RETURN OF EVICTION CANCELLED

tons of others took forever. the funniest by far was one where the bank was just lazy, the guy had some prime real estate by the ba'hai temple , and the bank just sat there paying his 25k property tax year after year on his behalf, while he simultaneously wiped out his wife's divorce liens that were on the property. that dude straight up won

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Jun 18, 2021

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Shifty Pony posted:

drat lol that's pretty good

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Mirthless posted:

So... It's Millennial Miami?

harsh but accurate.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

sounds exactly like chunks of new orleans

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

drat lol that's pretty good

there's a related thing going on in Texas as a whole where the state politicians have spent decades touting Texas as a conservative utopia counterweight to California and as a result the sort of people who move to Texas tend to be hyper-conservative, much more so than the people who grew up here.

https://mobile.twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/966519170660732928

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/tracyalloway/status/1405654363951964163?s=19

Inflation is over. Looks like fed was right and we will see higher than expected inflation until august-september and then evening out. Too bad the shock to consumers suck.

Commodities from copper to corn tumble on China crackdown, rising dollar

quote:

A Chinese government agency announced a plan on Wednesday to release reserves of key metals, including copper and aluminum, according to Reuters. Officials in the country have also warned about speculation in financial markets in recent weeks.

“Base metals prices are melting as China’s State Council escalates its crackdown against commodity speculators and hoarders by investigating [state-owned enterprises]′ overseas positions and auditing futures firms to combat squeezed profit margins,” Daniel Ghali, TD Securities commodities strategist, said in a note. “While overseas positions are harder to police with warnings, this crackdown still has some bite.”

What in the world...

Regulators cracking down on speculation and hoarders? Don't the Chinese know you're suppose to leave these things to the market?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I would appreciate it if the Dow would drop 1,000 points thanks God bless u