Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

John Cenas Jorts posted:

"WWE Live" events - are these basically just house shows or is this where they film stuff like Main Event/Superstars?

If they're on a Monday or Tuesday they'll be taped. If they're any other day they won't.

But they'll still be super fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Good to know! It is super rare for shows to come near us (5 hours drive is near, lol), so we are definitely going to go. This one's on a Saturday, but also Halloween so that should be fun as gently caress.

These tickets are the single most present-that-is-also-for-yourself present that I've ever bought. Sorry for gushing in this thread I am just super excited

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Good to know! It is super rare for shows to come near us (5 hours drive is near, lol), so we are definitely going to go. This one's on a Saturday, but also Halloween so that should be fun as gently caress.

These tickets are the single most present-that-is-also-for-yourself present that I've ever bought. Sorry for gushing in this thread I am just super excited

House Shows are generally more loose. They play to the crowd a lot more and do dumb things you'll never see on TV. In its own way it's better than the tapings.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Latino Pete posted:

One thing to take away from the Triple H and Steiner feud, it's what gave us Evolution.

The first time all four of those guys came together was to beat down Big Poppa Pump. So something half decent came out of the feud at least.

i wouldn't call evolution a positive

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

I'd call it a mystery.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Did they have like, any good matches in their original run?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Fsmhunk posted:

Did they have like, any good matches in their original run?

As a stable or individually?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Evolution didnt really wrestle as a group like The Shield but HHH and Orton had some good ones.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I mean Orton vs. Foley at Backlash 2004 was amazing so...

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

oldpainless posted:

Evolution didnt really wrestle as a group like The Shield but HHH and Orton had some good ones.

Not true there was an Evolution multi-man match practically every week on Raw with some combination of excellent workers on the other team. Its how they hid and developed Batista for a while and they were always really good

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
This is the only match where the entire stable teamed together:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x921cq_hbk-chris-benoit-mick-foley-shelton_sport

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

House Shows are generally more loose. They play to the crowd a lot more and do dumb things you'll never see on TV. In its own way it's better than the tapings.

WWE house shows are fun, even the ones in smaller markets. They're especially fun when you compare them to late-90s WCW house shows where half the roster would dog it and work 5-minute matches because they didn't give a poo poo.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

OldTennisCourt posted:

Has a two out of three falls ever just gone to two straight falls or is it always the same setup of one fall for one guy the other fall for the other guy?
One notable example was Candice Michelle injuring herself after losing the first fall vs. Beth Pheonix. They just took it home right away with Beth getting the second straight pin.

Video cued up for the first fall. The nasty botch occurs at 7:45-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wco_S0Zd35g&t=280s

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Evolution produced two bankable stars out of nothing and led to one of the great slow burn turns of the modern era. Rambling Triple H promos suck, but Evolution was a big success.

They also had the best music.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I never really liked Line in the Sand but I'm apparently the only one.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I preferred the pre-Motorhead version with the ticking watch beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iCbm2Set24

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
http://www.kayfabenews.com/wrestling-faction-evolution-never-existed-says-creationist-group/

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

After reading a RAW report I realised I don't know a lot about Sting, how important is Sting in wrestling history?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ultragonk posted:

After reading a RAW report I realised I don't know a lot about Sting, how important is Sting in wrestling history?

People actually fight about this constantly, but the short answer is not very outside of his first run as Crow Sting in 1997, which created a lot of excitement until WCW's booking killed it.

His mystique was enhanced by being one of the only main event WCW guys to not go over to WWE at all and thus never wrestle there. He is not known for having particularly good matches, as opposed to being serviceable. He has yet to get in the Observer hall of fame and Dave and other posters will ardently defend why that hasn't happened yet against people who don't get why.

Among true wrestling nerds he is more known for all the stupid angles he has been involved in, some intentionally funny and some unintentionally. At this point his dumb angles and moments are second only to Kane's. This is his 30th year in wrestling so there is a lot to go over there.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Think of every stupid angle Kane has taken part in. So has Sting.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Re-reading Foley's first book for the first time in awhile. Are there any other memoirs from around the same time that are as honest, or are they WWE-sanitized?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Think of every stupid angle Kane has taken part in. So has Sting.

Kane never had a run as Funny Man Jokester though.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

zakharov posted:

Re-reading Foley's first book for the first time in awhile. Are there any other memoirs from around the same time that are as honest, or are they WWE-sanitized?

Bret Hart's book, I think.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Lady Naga posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6594B8e0IDA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE0ppjW-zys

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

People actually fight about this constantly, but the short answer is not very outside of his first run as Crow Sting in 1997, which created a lot of excitement until WCW's booking killed it.

His mystique was enhanced by being one of the only main event WCW guys to not go over to WWE at all and thus never wrestle there. He is not known for having particularly good matches, as opposed to being serviceable. He has yet to get in the Observer hall of fame and Dave and other posters will ardently defend why that hasn't happened yet against people who don't get why.

Among true wrestling nerds he is more known for all the stupid angles he has been involved in, some intentionally funny and some unintentionally. At this point his dumb angles and moments are second only to Kane's. This is his 30th year in wrestling so there is a lot to go over there.

That's really interesting because in my mind I had him down as having an important feud with Flair and putting on good matches with a variety of opponents. But when I actually thought about it I really can't think of any of them which is why I asked the question. He has a lot of name recognition though so a case of right place right time?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Sting once lost a match by DDTing himself on a chair.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Once a man in a Sting mask attacked Rob Van Dam.

That man was...Sting

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

e:nm

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Evolution produced two bankable stars out of nothing and led to one of the great slow burn turns of the modern era. Rambling Triple H promos suck, but Evolution was a big success.

They also had the best music.

They were great if you ignore all the actual booking between their formation in 2003 and January 2005. But on paper it's looks good.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ultragonk posted:

That's really interesting because in my mind I had him down as having an important feud with Flair and putting on good matches with a variety of opponents. But when I actually thought about it I really can't think of any of them which is why I asked the question. He has a lot of name recognition though so a case of right place right time?

Don't underestimate Right Place, Right Time. He was always a good hand who had good promos but not Flair promos, and could wrestle a good match, but not Flair matches.

The one time he got the super push was fantastic, it was one of the longest and perfectly executed builds. He really helped build WCW up big. Unfortunately, the actual match failed to deliver (mostly because of Bischoff and Hogan) and then the aftermath was bungled (again not really because of Sting) and he got shuffled down the card in favor of Goldberg.

He was still the biggest babyface in the hottest feud in a company's boom, which is going to go a long way.

Still not really a HOFer, but he's closer to Don Mattingly or Jim Rice in the Hall of Very Good.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Ultragonk posted:

He is considered one of the classic Flair opponents, but is generally in line behind Steamboat, Race, and Rhodes. There isn't really a time in his career where he was in the discussion for #1 worker.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

He is considered one of the classic Flair opponents, but is generally in line behind Steamboat, Race, and Rhodes. There isn't really a time in his career where he was in the discussion for #1 worker.

plus if you use the classic murdoch test he's going to come up empty. a lot of his promos got better in TNA but Sting had nothing that made him best in the world/country/promotion at any time in any measurable metric.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Sting's the equivalent of the guy who hits .300 or scores 20 points a game on a bad team. Sure, they look good by comparison and people talk about how they're underrated and wish they were in a better situation, but in the end of the day they're above average at best and certainly not elite.

Should Sting be in the Observer HOF = is Joe Flacco an elite QB

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Sting is a hero to all children and will defeat Vader, the Dangerous Alliance, and indeed the NWO. If I was capable of being even remotely objective about Sting I'd probably tell you he was a good hand who got pushed above his natural level, but I can't. Sting is the best, forever. I am only just realizing this is probably how today's 7 year olds see John Cena.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sting was cool

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

A thing you have to remember when you're talking about Sting's in-ring ability as he came up is he seemed a lot better at the time--the other set of visible main-eventers of the late 80s/early 90s era, outside of the occasional Macho Man appearance, were Hulk Hogan, the Ultimate Warrior, Sgt. Slaughter, the early Undertaker, etc. Sting was never any great shakes in the ring, but a lot of his contemporaries were barely-mobile muscle monsters so he was a stark contrast.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

C. Everett Koop posted:

Sting's the equivalent of the guy who hits .300 or scores 20 points a game on a bad team. Sure, they look good by comparison and people talk about how they're underrated and wish they were in a better situation, but in the end of the day they're above average at best and certainly not elite.

Should Sting be in the Observer HOF = is Joe Flacco an elite QB

mitch richmond is in the hall of fame

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I had a fun time explaining to my little brother about Sting's journey from Happy Fun Facepaint Guy, to the NWO driving him insane and turning him into the Crow.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Lady Naga posted:

Team hell no was all this though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Blasmeister posted:

Team hell no was all this though?

Kane's stuff has either been one-off jokes or playing off him being a straight man, not manic poo poo like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZig4X71mUM
He did this poo poo for yeaaaaaars.