Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Wonderful news for smart-devices, which have just recieved marching orders from the REAL people in charge! :awesomelon:

https://twitter.com/kenwheaton/status/1405901691241652234?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

Where are y'all going? Nashville? Atlanta? Louisville? Asheville? Tulsa?

Lol if you aren't going RV life in the PNW or Michigan UP. Your only other options are living in a chud hell hole, or HCOL city dominated by old smug rich racist liberals. At least that's where I ended up when I seriously considered leaving for somewhere else. I'll at least die next to family and friends! Everywhere in the US loving sucks

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

America is unbeatable.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

gay_crimes posted:

Lol if you aren't going RV life in the PNW or Michigan UP. Your only other options are living in a chud hell hole, or HCOL city dominated by old smug rich racist liberals. At least that's where I ended up when I seriously considered leaving for somewhere else. I'll at least die next to family and friends! Everywhere in the US loving sucks

Everywhere does suck and the places that are still cheap are absolute shitholes. There are livable houses all over rural parts of the country, an hour or two outside cities and any jobs that pay well. You can get a livable house in central Illinois for $50-70k, but those are in small towns, with high taxes, and it's Illinois. Groundwater is full of agricultural run-off, not a goddamn mountain for hundreds of miles (the limestone pile southwest of Kankakee is not a mountain), you can't survive without a car, job market is a bigger joke than Seinfeld can fathom. Just corn, beans, and cows as far as the eye can see outside Chicago.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Everywhere does suck and the places that are still cheap are absolute shitholes. There are livable houses all over rural parts of the country, an hour or two outside cities and any jobs that pay well. You can get a livable house in central Illinois for $50-70k, but those are in small towns, with high taxes, and it's Illinois. Groundwater is full of agricultural run-off, not a goddamn mountain for hundreds of miles (the limestone pile southwest of Kankakee is not a mountain), you can't survive without a car, job market is a bigger joke than Seinfeld can fathom. Just corn, beans, and cows as far as the eye can see outside Chicago.

On the other side, you have Michigan, which actually isn't terrible despite what most people like to say.

Taxes are low.
Houses are still $150k~ on the west side.
Chicago is a 3 hour trip.
The UP is fantastic.
Summers are great.
Grand Rapids has a decent job market.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

gay_crimes posted:

Ah, so the Nomadland experience

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Rural living seems like you are even more likely to die from something like a ruptured appendix if you are far away from things. No services, absolutely no protection from some frackers or some other industry moving in and polluting the gently caress out of you and making you sick, just total isolation. You're picking your poison no matter where you go, and everything will be degraded even more after you choose

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

gay_crimes posted:

Rural living seems like you are even more likely to die from something like a ruptured appendix if you are far away from things. No services, absolutely no protection from some frackers or some other industry moving in and polluting the gently caress out of you and making you sick, just total isolation. You're picking your poison no matter where you go, and everything will be degraded even more after you choose

I have some friends that bought a rural property. One of them caught his leg with his chainsaw and is over an hour to the nearest clinic.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, rural living is a compromise. I grew up in small towns and on the grandparents' small farm. Tractor rollover killed my great uncle. Something happens to you out there, you're pretty hosed if you're bleeding heavy or pinned beneath something.

But man. The privacy. Piss wherever you want, smoke your weed, no one is around to see, smell or give a poo poo.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

DoomTrainPhD posted:

On the other side, you have Michigan, which actually isn't terrible despite what most people like to say.

Taxes are low.
Houses are still $150k~ on the west side.
Chicago is a 3 hour trip.
The UP is fantastic.
Summers are great.
Grand Rapids has a decent job market.

If you want to live where people are 150K will get you nothing in Grand Rapids. Maybe a partially destroyed fire house starting at 79K or something. I don't think you could get even that rurally unless you moved up to depressed areas like Shelby.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gay_crimes posted:

I grew up on a farm in north rural Illinois, my dad still has part of the farm, and my mom's side still farms in central Illinois. Family has ties to the UP and some work up there. I did ten years in chicago and am in the inner circle chicago burbs now

Anyone who can work remote should be fleeing to the small towns across the midwest. But no one is going to do it because they're tied down to all the stuff they're comfortable with, and will just make excuses for why it's too hard to get through a winter in the north, or too much pollution in the water in the great lakes ?? ? ? ? or whatever the gently caress else. Last I heard from farmers, nitrogen fertilizer is more effective than ever so they're using significantly less of it

and yeah the hospital thing sucks. You deal with it, you plan ahead, and you don't sacrifice hours of every day to commuting to a house that's still way too expensive

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Don't a lot of small towns have poo poo for internet though? You can't work from home if you don't have fast internet (or no internet).

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Lacrosse posted:

Don't a lot of small towns have poo poo for internet though? You can't work from home if you don't have fast internet (or no internet).

I hate the idea of having to rely on a Musk property, but if Starlink comes out half as good as advertised it'll blow away most rural 'broadband'. Also 4/5g, if your local towers aren't congested you don't really get throttled to the same extent as you do in the city.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lacrosse posted:

anywhere east of the mississippi is going to be fine . people run into trouble because they go well if i dont live in a city i want to be on a 40 acre in the middle of nowhere!! and then find out there's no power, septic, gas, internet out that way. hell, my family's been able to work for years in the UP remotely just using the verizon cell towers, and now some other family is trying out satellite as well. you can't do nonstop streaming with that but just doing work is fine, i've done it myself up there when visiting and the same with visiting my dad's farm with his crappy dsl

if you're at all concerned about climate change the rust belt is where you want to be and it's a completely developed area with low prices, its just that no one wants to be there because it's flat as poo poo and the winters are worse than where most canadians live . rockford, IL gets just as cold or colder than toronto and montreal in winters, wisconsin and minnesota is obviously worse than that

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

lot of the rural living people I work with complain about internet . it’s all like remote Verizon poo poo or something.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Real hurthling! posted:

theres a guy in queens on a 20 year foreclosure evasion run that i was reading about in the paper recently
ny post link

loving the very end

quote:

Hanspal did not return messages. A woman who answered the bell at Kenmore Street and identified herself as a tenant said Hanspal was not at the home, which featured at least three cars without license plates in the driveway.

of COURSE they don't have license plates

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

sonatinas posted:

If you want to live where people are 150K will get you nothing in Grand Rapids. Maybe a partially destroyed fire house starting at 79K or something. I don't think you could get even that rurally unless you moved up to depressed areas like Shelby.

I just checked Redfin and there are dozens of homes for sale for $150K in Grand Rapids proper between 1k-1.5k square feet that look like they're in decent shape, and most of the other major towns like Muskegon and Kalamazoo are super cheap.

The neighborhood I grew up in 15 minutes outside of Detroit is extremely boring but safe and diverse and houses are ~$120k.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Father Wendigo posted:

Wonderful news for smart-devices, which have just recieved marching orders from the REAL people in charge! :awesomelon:

if you're sweating at 80 F you really need to get on some weight loss regime unless you live in a swa-oh right, Houston

Real hurthling! posted:

theres a guy in queens on a 20 year foreclosure evasion run that i was reading about in the paper recently
ny post link

god drat what a king, salute

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sonatinas posted:

If you want to live where people are 150K will get you nothing in Grand Rapids.

i think you are forgetting the great city of detroit

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Father Wendigo posted:

oh this is leaving out the fun fun fun details.

"opting in" to these programs is supposed to come with a cash incentive to compensate you for having your HVAC hosed with, but in many cases where the thermostats were installed by the home builder or the landlord the builder or landlord pocketed the incentive and the person actually living at the place got nothing but hot.

electric-jellyfish
May 24, 2020

Maximo Roboto posted:

Where are y'all going? Nashville? Atlanta? Louisville? Asheville? Tulsa?

I'm pushing for a return to a smaller Midwestern college town, but it's dependent on his job options which are more geographically-limited than mine.

To keep it appropriately doomsday, I want to go somewhere that won't be as wrecked by climate change (relatively speaking) as the coasts or the south between increasing temperatures/rising sea levels. The midwest, for one, doesn't deal with hurricanes, earthquakes, etc. Couple tornados and the polar vortexes can be brutal, plus the rain cycles are changing, but at least there's more freshwater.

I just want to move somewhere and become a bit of a prepper while building up the community ties to try and weather what's coming in the 2030s.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

sonatinas posted:

lot of the rural living people I work with complain about internet . it’s all like remote Verizon poo poo or something.

my comcast , twelve miles from chicago's loop, goes out 4-5 times a day and i have to switch over to hotspot, which also goes out.

my cousin grew up in beloit, wi , population 35k, has local benefactors trying to spruce the place up, a small college, and wants to pay someone to move out there to work year round on film festivals. we were talking salary and im like look, you can probably hire someone for 40k to go there if they haven't settled in chicagoland already. houses are about 150k for a 1500 sqft place, your money's gonna go a long loving way

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 20:20 on Jun 18, 2021

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
If you want to live in a boring shithole you could even move down into Appalachia or western PA and get something real cheap

Bonus: You don't have to defend West Virginia whenever someone impinges your state's honor online. You can just say "Yeah it sucks" and move on.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Father Wendigo posted:

Reading the article it sound like they signed up for this exact thing to happen in exchange for being entered in a sweepstakes and then were surprised and got mad when the thing they gave permission to happen happened.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Thoguh posted:

Reading the article it sound like they signed up for this exact thing to happen in exchange for being entered in a sweepstakes and then were surprised and got mad when the thing they gave permission to happen happened.

object permanence strikes again

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Thoguh posted:

i think the "sweepstakes" is a bit of legal trickery to allow them sneak a fine print clause into the contract. like a company can't make a contract where i agree to give them a million dollars for free because legally a contract has to have some component of exchange. i can't just agree to an onerous debt with nothing in exchange.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

sonatinas posted:

Muskegon or Holland are still in the 150K range. And Holland is quite nice.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

BRAKE FOR MOOSE posted:

I just checked Redfin and there are dozens of homes for sale for $150K in Grand Rapids proper between 1k-1.5k square feet that look like they're in decent shape, and most of the other major towns like Muskegon and Kalamazoo are super cheap.

The neighborhood I grew up in 15 minutes outside of Detroit is extremely boring but safe and diverse and houses are ~$120k.

150k in GR starts probably at 120k and it’s gonna be a rental or something. I got friends trying to buy 175k and now their budget is 215k because they are being out bid for months and inspections are being waived. The majority of homes in GR are built before the 70s. later tonight I’ll have to look at these 150k homes but I’m sure the descriptions are like”income property” “sweat equity” etc and almost all gonna be bought 100% cash

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Muskegon or Holland are still in the 150K range. And Holland is quite nice.

I ain’t gonna live in Holland. I barely tolerate Grand Rapids. I’ll have to bring salt to every restaurant I eat out in Holland.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You can always split the difference and live in a midsized, non-coastal town somewhere. Sacramento was somewhat affordable and reasonably pleasant until just a few years ago, and had decent government jobs available. There are still other places like that out there.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

dew worm posted:

a lot of the sp500 funds have Tesla in their top holdings…seems less than ideal

The quarter where Tesla is going to have to report massive Bitcoin losses is going to be pretty sick.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

sonatinas posted:

I aint gonna live in Holland. I barely tolerate Grand Rapids. Ill have to bring salt to every restaurant I eat out in Holland.

wtf. Have you never been to El Huarache? It's fantastic.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

you're going to get absolutely soaked with taxes if you remain in small towns after like 5-10 more years when all the boomers start selling their houses. the infrastructure is just not sustainable

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They told me to predict the job market a decade in advance at 17 years old, so why not make us predict the housing market AND local climate impacts AND implications of the local tax code 10-30 years in advance?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

skooma512 posted:

They told me to predict the job market a decade in advance at 17 years old, so why not make us predict the housing market AND local climate impacts AND implications of the local tax code 10-30 years in advance?

i already did and my psycho-historian calculations have told me to buy screws

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

KaptainKrunk posted:

you're going to get absolutely soaked with taxes if you remain in small towns after like 5-10 more years when all the boomers start selling their houses. the infrastructure is just not sustainable

or they'll just let the infrastructure completely fall apart, because taxes are a crime against god

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
don't wait for infrastructure to fall apart. be proactive, get a solar panel and dig a well right now

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.
Learn to braze copper pipe

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Father Wendigo posted:

we have this program in our area and they're very explicit about it, you wouldn't opt in on accident

they give you a digital thermostat and a bill credit every month, and you agree to let them be thermostat dad in your own house

in theory you end up saving a ton of money this way, because you not only get the bill credit, but you drastically cut use during non-peak hours. in reality: you agreed to let the power company be your dad wrt the thermostat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

KaptainKrunk posted:

you gotta get specific about what 'soaked by taxes' means, since at least in illinois a 10k tax bill for a house is normal in chicagoland and 5k+ in college towns. of the midwest your best bets are what, minnesota and indiana, then wisconsin/michigan/iowa about equal? thats why we gotta make sure the southwest burns so that more people come live here and pay all these taxes