Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Handen posted:

Ah, I should elaborate and use proper terms I guess... What I meant is, I went from the 13-pin out of the guitar into the 13-pin in of the VG-99 and it wasn't picking up anything. It's the Graphtech Ghost Hexpander preamp I've got in there that converts the vibrations from the piezo bridge saddles into whatever comes out from the 13-pin jack located above the 1/4" jack in that picture. Something's funky, and I'll have to take some time to figure out why it isn't working.

In the meantime, I ordered one of these on eBay:

Can you explain your signal chain for the midi thing? I'm kind of interested in getting a project bass or guitar and using it for midi control but I don't really know where to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Stux posted:

Can you explain your signal chain for the midi thing? I'm kind of interested in getting a project bass or guitar and using it for midi control but I don't really know where to start.

You'll need some sort of GK/MIDI/Hex pickup:

Axon PU-100
Roland GK-2 or GK-3 (GK-2B or 3B for bass I think)
Yamaha G1D
Graphtech Ghost Hexpander

Then something to convert the 13-pin signal into MIDI:

Axon AX-50
Axon AX-100 mkII
Roland GI-20

And finally a computer with whatever software installed with softsynths or whatever you want.

The AX-50 and GI-20 are USB if I recall correctly, whereas with the AX-100 you'd need some sort of firewire soundcard or audio interface with MIDI-in.

If you wanna get wild, add in a MIDI foot pedal like the one I just got, a Rocktron All Access MIDI-EXP for on the fly control changes. Here's a list of a bunch of them: http://www.stecrecords.com/gear/footpedal/index.php

At least I think that's how it all works. Still a month or two away from having the capability myself, so until then I won't know for sure. If the hexpander on this Jag is a hassle I might spring for something like a GK-3 for my other Jag or Reverse V, just so I can start messing around.

I don't know how fast the tracking for any of this is, but it can't be worse than the G-707/GR-700 combo I had a while back.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Handen posted:

You'll need some sort of GK/MIDI/Hex pickup:

Axon PU-100
Roland GK-2 or GK-3 (GK-2B or 3B for bass I think)
Yamaha G1D
Graphtech Ghost Hexpander

Then something to convert the 13-pin signal into MIDI:

Axon AX-50
Axon AX-100 mkII
Roland GI-20

And finally a computer with whatever software installed with softsynths or whatever you want.

The AX-50 and GI-20 are USB if I recall correctly, whereas with the AX-100 you'd need some sort of firewire soundcard or audio interface with MIDI-in.

If you wanna get wild, add in a MIDI foot pedal like the one I just got, a Rocktron All Access MIDI-EXP for on the fly control changes. Here's a list of a bunch of them: http://www.stecrecords.com/gear/footpedal/index.php

At least I think that's how it all works. Still a month or two away from having the capability myself, so until then I won't know for sure. If the hexpander on this Jag is a hassle I might spring for something like a GK-3 for my other Jag or Reverse V, just so I can start messing around.

I don't know how fast the tracking for any of this is, but it can't be worse than the G-707/GR-700 combo I had a while back.

drat thats more expensive than I thought.

Clearly this will have to wait for a while and then be added to the hello kitty baritone strat I have planned :smug:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Stux posted:

drat thats more expensive than I thought.

Clearly this will have to wait for a while and then be added to the hello kitty baritone strat I have planned :smug:

GK pickups go for ~$100 on eBay and I just won the AX-50 for $330 when it retails at $499... The most expensive part is the DAW stuff.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Handen posted:

GK pickups go for ~$100 on eBay and I just won the AX-50 for $330 when it retails at $499... The most expensive part is the DAW stuff.

I'm in the UK and it looks like those two would cost me about £400-450 ($570-640) together. I have all the DAW stuff already though.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Stux posted:

I'm in the UK and it looks like those two would cost me about £400-450 ($570-640) together. I have all the DAW stuff already though.

I've just had a quick look at completed listings on ebay, if you don't mind second hand then you possibly could get the gear you need for around £200.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Uintathere posted:

I've just had a quick look at completed listings on ebay, if you don't mind second hand then you possibly could get the gear you need for around £200.

I had a look and couldn't find any current UK auctions with the stuff he mentioned :smith:

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Stux posted:

I had a look and couldn't find any current UK auctions with the stuff he mentioned :smith:

Well if the price stays down this is one of the audio to MIDI converter boxes and I think this is a pickup you could use. I think there's not much difference between a GK-2 and a GK-3, but you'll have to check that yourself.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
All my friends think I'm crazy for being nuts about midi guitar. Then I took one of them to Sam ash music and talked a guy into letting me hookup a gk-3 and gi-20 to a mac with ableton that we brought. He is now considered nuts as well

Let me say the having leads with a wet/dry knob between a marshall and a minimoog patch is awesome. Pads are amazing. I want to play synth guitar with a violin bow bad.

Back when I saw the VG series and heard robot rock.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
VT Bass pedal came a day early. Clips and review soon to come tonight or tomorrow. All I can say right now is holy poo poo...

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Kinda expensive, but I couldn't be happier.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

The two posters above me are going to be some happy people when they get to know their new stuff :q:

3toes/Scarf, did my proposed setup work for you, or how did you end up routing it? Also, oh, I just checked my PMs, I'm an electronics hobbyist so I wouldn't really know much about the feasibility of designs apart from some basic principles, you might check over at DIYstompboxes or freestompboxes.org :unsmith:

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Agreed posted:

The two posters above me are going to be some happy people when they get to know their new stuff :q:

3toes/Scarf, did my proposed setup work for you, or how did you end up routing it? Also, oh, I just checked my PMs, I'm an electronics hobbyist so I wouldn't really know much about the feasibility of designs apart from some basic principles, you might check over at DIYstompboxes or freestompboxes.org :unsmith:

Actually it's a little too muddy for my tastes when bypassing the preamp in the effects return. Just putting it at the end of the chain is loving amazing. Working on getting clips shortly :mmmhmm:

pennywisdom
Mar 21, 2004

Agreed posted:

Yeah? I'd like to hear what you think about it actually.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

pennywisdom posted:

Kinda expensive, but I couldn't be happier.

It makes me happy that the control surface looks like its from a Roland amp. :unsmith:

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Minto Took posted:

It makes me happy that the control surface looks like its from a Roland amp. :unsmith:

at least I'm not the only one who thought it was a roland before seeing the boss logo.

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.

ZombiePeanut posted:

at least I'm not the only one who thought it was a roland before seeing the boss logo.

and with good reason, too...

I actually had one (the boss, not the original) for a while and loved the hell out of it, but just don't play enough guitar to justify keeping it.

For a fun trick, run a wahed fuzzed bass (or guitar) through it with the tap tempo at 130 bpm+ and the repeat knob a touch past halfway. It sounds unholy and wonderful.

Howling Bells
May 10, 2007

Dear Pat Monaghan and that other guy,

We believe 'Hey Soul Sister' to be a ponderous and heartless money grab. You should be ashamed. It's not enough that you used the I-V-VI-IV chord progression, Beato, but you do it on a ukulele? It sounds like a Vonage commercial. Stop the Train!

Click here for the full 1136x852 image.

Click here for the full 1136x852 image.

So I got this very strange mustang copy, at least I think it is. The neck is one piece maple, and has 8JULY64A on it. No decal or serial, not even on the neckplate. I think the neck itself may be genuinely from a mustang, it's got the kluson tuners and the stamp. I'm not sure what to make of it all, any goons out there that might have any ideas? I can take more pictures and get the numbers off the pickups and all.

Anyway, this thing sounds loving amazing. I cleaned up the electronics a bit because the switches were sticking, put new strings on it and it has a perfectly sharp sound. The neck is super thin, more so than my '65 mustang reissue which is perfect for my sissy baby hands. I just saw it on craigslist and thought "that's awesome." The price was right and I bought it. Hells yeah I bought it.

no dad im not gay!
Jan 30, 2007

Looks like a legit Mustang, neck and all; seen better days too but if you're happy with it...

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Minto Took posted:

I don't know how widely known it is (so forgive me if you already knew this), but Roland own Boss. I've got a 20x Cube and the effects built in are (allegedly) straight from a Boss pedal but with a lot less control as all you've got is one knob for adjustment.

ZombiePeanut
May 11, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Captain Splendid posted:

I don't know how widely known it is (so forgive me if you already knew this), but Roland own Boss. I've got a 20x Cube and the effects built in are (allegedly) straight from a Boss pedal but with a lot less control as all you've got is one knob for adjustment.

It's COSM modeling that the cubes use. Dunno if that's a Boss thing or what; I thought it was a separate thing all together.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I got an EVH Phase 90

Wacky paintjob aside, it's exactly the type of phaser that I've been looking for.

Shatner
Apr 27, 2006
Cpt. Kirk
New Epiphone Wildkat :fap:

I'm so happy about it, but I didn't feel like dropping $500 of my barely $700 dollars (college sucks) all at once. It's on layaway though, so I do get to play it on Tuesdays during lessons. Come on Tuesday!

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

ZombiePeanut posted:

It's COSM modeling that the cubes use. Dunno if that's a Boss thing or what; I thought it was a separate thing all together.

COSM is a Roland technology that powers their digital workstations as well as their V-Drums. It's their version of circuit emulation, sort of. Roland and Boss are definitely the same company, no controversy there, the VG-99 guitar synth station is basically an ultra super fancy GT-8 (which is to say that it has the GT-8 guitar amp models, etc., along with Roland's synth technology). The RE-20 is a COSM simulation of one of the (lower end) original Roland Space Echo tape delay units, and a really good one. COSM is an interesting and useful technology which, in my opinion, does a really good job modeling most effects and does a comparatively poor job modeling distortion. However, the Cubes do still sound good, and the GT-10 has upped the ante on Roland/Boss's COSM amp modeling significantly (still not tops in the market by a stretch, but it's a hell of a lot easier to get a good sound out of the GT-10 than it was the GT-8).

Anyway, the RE-20 is a killer pedal that very accurately simulates the original Space Echo it's modeling. There are some features that are not spot-on, like its oscillation functions, but the general sound and functionality is very, very close to the real thing, down to the very mediocre spring reverb that's really only useful for making cool spaceman noises. I like the RE-20 a lot and I'd be happy to own one.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Captain Splendid posted:

I know that Roland owns Boss. Which is why I didn't say it looked like a piece of Roland gear because then it would sound redundant. :)

Agreed posted:

ultra super fancy GT-8

What's awesome about the GT-8 is that it has a specific output mode just for a JC-120. :c00l:

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

Minto Took posted:

It makes me happy that it has a smiley face between the pedals :unsmith:

Leninboarrir
May 11, 2006

stupid monster

bisticles posted:

I got an EVH Phase 90

Wacky paintjob aside, it's exactly the type of phaser that I've been looking for.

I'm sure you know, but that's the paint job from Eddie Van Halen's Frakenstrat.

Risky
May 18, 2003

Nosir posted:

I really need a new amp, but gently caress i love guitars. Anyone have experience with the ESP LTD EC-401? The transparent black with black EMG81/60 and black hardware makes me want to cream myself. Although it does have the Earvana nut thing which makes me second guess this thing. My other main electric is a Epi LP Custom which i use for ballsy metal and blues, but im not too fond of the lead tones i've managed to get.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-EC401-Electric-Guitar?sku=580199

Can someone explain the whole LTD thing to me? I bought a really nice ESP H500 a while ago and when I got it it had LTD on the headstock. Is it a low end guitar?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The LTDs are their import guitars, yeah.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Risky posted:

Can someone explain the whole LTD thing to me? I bought a really nice ESP H500 a while ago and when I got it it had LTD on the headstock. Is it a low end guitar?

Low end is a harsh word, LTDs are really loving nice still.

Also I just thought, Ibanez are one of the few companies I can think of off hand who does their "low end" stuff under the same name (Instead of Ephiphone, LTD, Squier etc) and then just give the high end stuff the Prestige title.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Agreed posted:

The LTDs are their import guitars, yeah.

Well both are imported. ESPs are made in Japan and LTDs are Korean or Indonesian.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Low end import better?

They're the cheap poo poo. Except they're not poo poo, or even all that cheap. But it is the company's inferior brand.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

A present for my wife for Valentine's Day, for being such a good sport when it comes to my guitar habit.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Very cool Agreed!

I just returned from our monthly company offsite. Guitar Center that is. Returned with an EHX Stereo Memory Man with Hazarai. It was on sale, as well as many other items during their President's Day weekend sale.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Agreed posted:

A present for my wife for Valentine's Day, for being such a good sport when it comes to my guitar habit.

Do you own a canoe?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Agreed posted:

Is she really a bassist, or is that present more for you? :v:

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Haha, Minto, no, this isn't a bowling ball with "Homer" engraved on it. I'll explain.

She played the upright bass from the age when she could enter orchestra all the way until she left high school - since the bass was on loan from her school, she couldn't take it with her, obviously. She made all-state first chair in her junior year, and was very passionate about playing. However, because she is on a full scholarship at her college (a teaching program at a very well respected teacher's college in the region) and she's going to graduate as a math&science teacher but has to fit in every requirement into a 4-year period for the scholarship, her schedule was packed from the moment she started classes her first semester and she couldn't play in the orchestra. That pretty much broke her heart because of how dedicated she was to the bass (and how much she really just loved to play it), and her bow, an expensive custom made bow, has sat unused since she graduated high school.

On our wedding day, an hour before we said our vows, she was fishing out her debit card to make the final payment on my THD Univalve. That's how much she loves me, and knows how much guitar means to me - I couldn't ask for a better partner, she respects my musical interests and encourages me within the outer boundaries of reason :). We had our first anniversary January 25th, and I've been making payments on this since last year, but now it's fully paid off and I signed for it with Fedex this morning. I know every guy says this, but she's the best girl in the world, and without her I don't know if I could make it. This is a very small thank you for the biggest and most wonderful part of my life.

schizorage
Dec 26, 2005

Agreed posted:

Haha, Minto, no, this isn't a bowling ball with "Homer" engraved on it. I'll explain.

She played the upright bass from the age when she could enter orchestra all the way until she left high school - since the bass was on loan from her school, she couldn't take it with her, obviously. She made all-state first chair in her junior year, and was very passionate about playing. However, because she is on a full scholarship at her college (a teaching program at a very well respected teacher's college in the region) and she's going to graduate as a math&science teacher but has to fit in every requirement into a 4-year period for the scholarship, her schedule was packed from the moment she started classes her first semester and she couldn't play in the orchestra. That pretty much broke her heart because of how dedicated she was to the bass (and how much she really just loved to play it), and her bow, an expensive custom made bow, has sat unused since she graduated high school.

On our wedding day, an hour before we said our vows, she was fishing out her debit card to make the final payment on my THD Univalve. That's how much she loves me, and knows how much guitar means to me - I couldn't ask for a better partner, she respects my musical interests and encourages me within the outer boundaries of reason :). We had our first anniversary January 25th, and I've been making payments on this since last year, but now it's fully paid off and I signed for it with Fedex this morning. I know every guy says this, but she's the best girl in the world, and without her I don't know if I could make it. This is a very small thank you for the biggest and most wonderful part of my life.

There's not supposed to be any crying in this thread, Agreed.

That's awesome. My girl is simply tolerant of my addiction.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Just gonna leave this here... :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosir
Jun 11, 2006
^^^pure sex...oh gosh...

I once told my ex-girlfriend that i love guitar and music so much there was no way i could love her more. That didnt go over so well and it was not so much fun explaining my way out of that one.

But its true :smug:

Edit: Oh! And my roomates brother just gave him (so me because he doesnt play guitar) this:

Nosir fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 13, 2009