Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Rivfader posted:

Also the essence of a good techno track, at least to me, is a great loop. While I certainly don't think mine is wicked, I also don't feel the need to add a melody or make it more like a song. The looped beginning is because it's a track for DJ's and we need intro's like that in order to mix poo poo properly.

Stop coming up with excuses. accept the advice and work on getting better. People here have heard techno before, it's not like they dont get it or dont understand what youre trying to do, it's just not good enough.

Giving yourself excuses will stop you from improving, it's not a good mentality at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
So I played around with the minimoog today and a little track emerged. Housy:

http://snd.sc/MNfell

All melodic parts are the minimoog, used some random drums (they're very reduced anyway.) Check it out :)

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One

cubicle gangster posted:

Stop coming up with excuses.

Read my previous post.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
My apologies, I missed that. :(

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

cubicle gangster posted:

Giving yourself excuses will stop you from improving, it's not a good mentality at all.

I didn't want to comment more because I didn't want him to feel like I was being personal, but this is my point exactly. I've been making electronic music for about 10 years and almost everything I did for the first 6 was not very good. I think this was mostly because I didn't know how to really play a keyboard. I wasn't comfortable with making melody so I would compensate by using production techniques. In retrospect I now understand why nobody else was ever that excited about my music - it just wasn't very musical.

Not that my music's like super awesome now but it's definitely a lot better than where I was at a few years ago.

Rivfader
Aug 1, 2006

Before One
Don't worry about it, I can take some criticism. If I didn't want your honest opinions I wouldn't have put it up here.

The message was received clearly and I've got quite a bit of studying ahead of me.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Since my productivity has been shot lately, I posted some older stuff (and one new track) to SoundCloud for feedback.

http://soundcloud.com/centurion-beats/m-beat-general-levy-incredible
This one is a remix, obviously, of 'Incredible'. It's old as balls, and mixed entirely in Reason when I didn't know poo poo, so the mix is a bit choked. I played it for a friend and he wanted to use it in a set so I figured, why not put it up?

http://soundcloud.com/centurion-beats/chase-old-sessions
This is a minute-long 'chase scene' for a class project back in the day. All ethnic percussion; mostly taiko drums. Way out of my comfort zone, but it was very fun and I think there's remix potential in it.

http://soundcloud.com/centurion-beats/crowd-control-vip
This one is kind of my baby. The original is up on my SC as well, but I really wanted to thicken things up and add a tempo change so there it is. There are still some mix problems, but I can't quite pin them down yet.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Native Instruments is celebrating 10 years of Kontakt, 50% off for a week:

http://www.native-instruments.com/#/en/specials/10-years-of-kontakt/

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

Mister Speaker posted:

http://soundcloud.com/centurion-beats/crowd-control-vip
This one is kind of my baby. The original is up on my SC as well, but I really wanted to thicken things up and add a tempo change so there it is. There are still some mix problems, but I can't quite pin them down yet.

I really dig this one, especially the intro. Was not expecting nice growly D&B coming from that.

Here's the latest thing I've done, really fast and loose, just came out all at once in a couple days. I'm sure it could use decent mastering, but that's never been my strong suit.

http://thethirteenthstep.bandcamp.com/track/drowned

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

Ugggggghhhhh I've been blocked / stuck / stalled on one track forever so I've decided to gently caress it and post the WIP and start something else. Its pretty roughly cobbled together, I might come back and finish it someday: http://soundcloud.com/hostismusic/hostis-paris-texas-wip

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

I've never bought a sample pack before (always sampled stuff myself or downloaded free samples), but I bought the Vengeance Essential Dubstep pack and I'm surprised by how many premade loops are included. Do people actually use this stuff? It seems to encourage just loading up some loops and calling it a day. Surely nobody who expects to be taken seriously uses preconstructed loops...?

I'm sure I sound naive as hell, I'm just surprised how many loops are in that pack. Thankfully the one shot drum samples are plentiful and pretty good.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

hypersleep posted:

I've never bought a sample pack before (always sampled stuff myself or downloaded free samples), but I bought the Vengeance Essential Dubstep pack and I'm surprised by how many premade loops are included. Do people actually use this stuff? It seems to encourage just loading up some loops and calling it a day. Surely nobody who expects to be taken seriously uses preconstructed loops...?

I'm sure I sound naive as hell, I'm just surprised how many loops are in that pack. Thankfully the one shot drum samples are plentiful and pretty good.
It's mostly naive to think that the creators of sample packs care about promoting best practice, I think.

I've always seen this as an easy and cheap way for them to double or triple the original "content", thus justifying the price to those who shop for quantity. $24.99 (or whatever) may be too much for some to pay for 500 one shot samples (even if they are very high quality and potentially worth it), but may become tempting if it's advertised as 5000 original samples, 4.7GB of content! or something.

That obviously doesn't mean nobody uses them or that there aren't really creative ways of using them. There certainly is a market for people who want to stack pre-made loops as well. I mean: lots of hobbyists, many levels of ability. Not all of them will ever be confronted with a discerning public that knows the popular sample packs inside and out either. Cheaper to cater to all markets with one product.

For the makers it's win-win. Including some padding won't deter a lot of serious buyers if the rest is useable.

EDIT
I was very much assuming the below. Also wasn't thinking of drum loops specifically, but loops in general. Nothing as lame as pre-made basslines, key hits and poo poo. Drum loops can occasionally be useful.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 1, 2012

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Often you can get some mileage out of loops by chopping and rearranging them, but often the loops are simply constructed from one-shot samples included in the pack anyway.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
My favourite way to use drum loops is to sidechain gate them to my (already complete) drums, so that on every hit, a bit of sparkle from the drum loop gets played. That reinforces the drums I've made with some unpredictable pixie dust from the loop. It's advisable to either use a very full, trebly loop or layer a few of them and process.

BUTTERWORBS
Oct 16, 2002

wayfinder posted:

My favourite way to use drum loops is to sidechain gate them to my (already complete) drums, so that on every hit, a bit of sparkle from the drum loop gets played. That reinforces the drums I've made with some unpredictable pixie dust from the loop. It's advisable to either use a very full, trebly loop or layer a few of them and process.

I do a similar thing, except i cut all the lows out of the loop and let more of the sound through, and i sidechain it to my real kick as well as the gate. this is the only time I ever gently caress with any drum loops

sexy fucking muskrat
Aug 22, 2010

by exmarx
So I'm sort of late to the party, but I also completed a remix for the Spectrum contest, and I'd really appreciate some feedback. It's the first track I've actually finished in a long time but I'm rather proud of it. It's mostly electrohouse with guitar parts that I recorded, it came out pretty summery and fun. Maybe you'll like it, maybe not, but still you should check it out!

http://play.beatport.com/contests/zedd-spectrum/4ff39b1db8ed7470de000113

AKP
Oct 17, 2007

by XyloJW
noazx

AKP fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 24, 2014

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
This can never be posted enough

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Gibberish posted:

This can never be posted enough

This is something I never understood about EDM shows. Why do all of that fake knob turning instead of putting effort into creating an entertaining stage show? First of all, knob turning itself isn't that entertaining, and if you're faking it after hitting "play" in Ableton Live, you're just very lazy.

I'm not suggesting every bit of every song be played live, but at least if you're triggering loops and samples manually, it gives you the opportunity to change up bits of the song to make playing live more spontaneous and interesting.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Well their explanation was that this was taken a moment before he noticed it wasn't plugged in and was looking at a computer screen, then immediately plugged it in, but they look a little too far into the show for me to be convinced that he wasn't doing this for at least a good 15 minutes.

That said, the last time I saw them, the show itself was very good, kind of like a laser light show or something. The light show and the giant cabinent opening up to reveal a white and silver piano which Auge played, it was very well done. Still, besides the short piano part, it seems like most of the show is just autopilot. I think Daft Punk is basically the same thing, where they have touch screens that you can push buttons and drag fitlers on, but they're not actually connected to the sound at all, which is pre-mixed. Still, you're not paying to see guys do amazing poo poo, you're paying for the drugged-out artist whose you enjoy to show up and have your corneas absorb light that reflected off of their bodies.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Cameron posted:

I think Daft Punk is basically the same thing, where they have touch screens that you can push buttons and drag fitlers on, but they're not actually connected to the sound at all, which is pre-mixed. Still, you're not paying to see guys do amazing poo poo, you're paying for the drugged-out artist whose you enjoy to show up and have your corneas absorb light that reflected off of their bodies.

Not to doubt you but I think their sets are a little more authentic than that, but yes, basically just filtering and effects across multiple stems - basically exactly what a DJ does except across a multitrack session of their own music. A certain outspoken mouse weighed in on this recently and it's actually pretty interesting. I always wanted to know if all those modular synths onstage were actually doing anything.

Yeah, more or less I agree though; you're pretty much there for the lightshow, the system, the total sensory overload (which happens to go great with MDMA), and maybe the celebrity of it - I saw a handful of girls at a Rusko show go NUTS when he tossed his gross sweat-towel at them. I'm a bit of a sucker for it too; I shook hands with one guy from Noisia after spending their entire set front and center, and that was a pretty big deal to me. But mostly I'd just love to pick their brains about sound design.

Speaking of sound design, let's quit beating this dead mouse- I mean horse. I'm having trouble making really percussive, 'knocking' sounding basses. Kind of like this sound: Noel, Enei & Eastcolors - Cracker (starts at around 0:44). Throbbing, warping 'Reese'-style basses are no problem, but there's something lacking when I try to make a bass that 'knocks' with that kind of weight. I'm very familiar with synthesis but there's something I'm missing. I'm beginning to think these kinds of sounds are actually processed percussion, or at least partly so.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
highpass 808, distort???

oh and THENNN you profit right

im 99% sure thats a distorted kickdrum. very easy to do.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Even when he's speaking in truths deadmau5 comes off like a huge dickhead

Doctor Duckers
Mar 22, 2007

http://soundcloud.com/grandpa-ghost/moog-3-4-float-into-us :)

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
Just wrapped up two trancey tracks, looking for feedback as always:

http://thethirteenthstep.bandcamp.com/track/unusual-lights

http://thethirteenthstep.bandcamp.com/track/le-chat-heureux

I feel like I need to delve into music theory a bit, so that my music will be more than a collection of sounds that seem to fit well together. Any recommended reading? I've already got the Dance Music Manual but I've been skipping around in it and haven't actually finished.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Flipperwaldt posted:

There certainly is a market for people who want to stack pre-made loops as well. I mean: lots of hobbyists, many levels of ability. Not all of them will ever be confronted with a discerning public that knows the popular sample packs inside and out either.

I talked to one of my producer friends about this (huda hudia, a somewhat well known florida breaks producer) and his exact words were "Oh yeah everyone does it now. Nobody makes their own drums." I think especially with something like breakbeat music you're pretty much always going to use the same drum patterns so it makes sense.

That being said I was loving around in Logic yesterday with the Calvin Harris "Let's Go" remix stems and came up with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ue9NBTAwnFI

I couldn't post it on Soundcloud because of copyright reasons? Is there anyway to get around that since the stems were released to the public?

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

Haha. You have SO much to lose by not making your own drums. Just saying. Make a habit out of that and your skills and understanding will start slowly diminishing. Besides though, it's really fun.

boxorocks
May 13, 2007

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND posted:

Haha. You have SO much to lose by not making your own drums. Just saying. Make a habit out of that and your skills and understanding will start slowly diminishing. Besides though, it's really fun.

Qft. Making/layering and processing your own beats should be a fun experience and you get so much more out of it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

im 99% sure thats a distorted kickdrum. very easy to do.

I've tried this with a couple of different kicks and distortions and can't get anywhere near that same level of 'thwack' without it just sounding dirty. Ohmicide gets some good results but again it's hard to nail down a distortion that still sounds 'clean', yeah? I'm beginning to try some synthetic toms for the impact, layered on top of a Massive patch, and it's getting there.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Been a while since I worked on new music. Love/hate?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

seiken posted:

Been a while since I worked on new music. Love/hate?

+ I like the harmonic arrangement a whole lot
- The drums could use way more junk in they trunk. Punch up that kick.
- I really dislike that "wawawawawawa" bass/synth after the drop

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

TheWevel posted:

I talked to one of my producer friends about this (huda hudia, a somewhat well known florida breaks producer) and his exact words were "Oh yeah everyone does it now. Nobody makes their own drums." I think especially with something like breakbeat music you're pretty much always going to use the same drum patterns so it makes sense.

Sounds like a lovely genre filled with lazy "artists."

Look, hip hop, for example, doesn't have a huge variation of beats (unless you get into the fringe subgenres) but even hip hop producers take pride in sampling and chopping drum hits and beats, especially from a source no one else has used (hence the pride in crate digging).

I can't fathom a "serious" producer of any genre throwing a dozen loops into Live and calling it a day.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Mr Jaunts posted:

So I'm sort of late to the party, but I also completed a remix for the Spectrum contest, and I'd really appreciate some feedback. It's the first track I've actually finished in a long time but I'm rather proud of it. It's mostly electrohouse with guitar parts that I recorded, it came out pretty summery and fun. Maybe you'll like it, maybe not, but still you should check it out!

http://play.beatport.com/contests/zedd-spectrum/4ff39b1db8ed7470de000113

I love this, really good work. Solid production and the feel of it is great, good job

I guess I'm even later because I got the stems for this about 10 minutes before it closed for submissions so I just upped it on my Soundcloud instead. I went a pretty different direction with the track to say the least, I'd love some feedback!
http://soundcloud.com/stosz/zedd-spectrum-stosz-remix

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

h_double posted:

- The drums could use way more junk in they trunk. Punch up that kick.

Don't really agree with this at all, I've already turned the kick down to make it flow better and it's still the loudest thing in the mix. Have you tried turning it up?
edit: you're the second person to complain about that synth though so maybe I'll change it even though I quite like it but maybe I'm just blinded by having listened to it too much

seiken fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 9, 2012

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
nice track, but that kick IS a little weak.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Ok sorry I'm totally wrong, I've just been known to make the kick too loud in the past so I'm overcompensating I guess. I boosted it & the snare a bit (not loads, it is a chill track) and it's definitely better. Also, didn't change that synth totally cause I still like it but I tried to add a bit more depth to its sound. updated version

seiken fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jul 10, 2012

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
the timbre is nice and cuts nicely in the mix but it still sounds pretty out of place. what I would do is copy the track 3-4 times and try different delays for different segments. as it is it sounds weird and too predictable.

im sorry to keep hammering you but the rest of the track really is nice - that lead still isnt where it needs to be; on par qualitywise.

you could also probably compress the entire drumbus a little more as well. oh and maybe let the release of the stringpad die out OVER the drums not on the drop exactly like now. sounds a little weird.

best track i've heard in here for ages.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Hey thanks! and I'll definitely keep adjusting it. But can you clarify this

quote:

what I would do is copy the track 3-4 times and try different delays for different segments.
You're just talking about the timing here right and nothing to do with the sound itself? Like shifting the entire part back slightly (or more) relative to everything else? or have I misunderstood. :)

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
That sounds ends abruptly, and a delay might help with that. You could automate it so that the delay only kicks in on the last few notes or what have you. Doing this might make it a little stale though, so if you copy the tracks, then Mute/delete so that track 1 plays segment one, track 2 segment 2 and track 3 segment 3 etc. Drop delays with slightly different settings on there. Or set up 3 FX buses and just use the send automation to these.

This is just one idea that might help generate some more interest in the sound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha
Ah you meant an actual effect delay I see. It already has one but I automated it to stop when the note stops. I'll mess with it.

• Locked thread