Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Drunk Tomato posted:

I've got one, hopefully quick and easy answer. My Google skills are ineffective, for some reason.

This is a point-and-shoot, fixed-position Western-themed game for PC. 1st person perspective. I played it in the early 2000s but it was picked up from a bargin bin and was probably made sometime in the mid-90s to 2000. That's my best guess, anyway.

I could have sworn the title was Gunslinger or Desperado, but both of those are also titles for more popular games so I might be off.

Fixed-position, like a light gun game like Area51? If so probably something like Mad Dog McCree.

Or do you just mean normal FPS, in which case maybe Outlaws, a Lucasarts FPS in the dark forces engine.

al-azad posted:

Was it FMV/live actors or 3D graphics?

Yeah that'll help narrow it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Zaphod42 posted:

Fixed-position, like a light gun game like Area51? If so probably something like Mad Dog McCree.

Or do you just mean normal FPS, in which case maybe Outlaws, a Lucasarts FPS in the dark forces engine.

This is a fixed-position lightgun-style game. You were given a static screen and you had to shoot enemies with a crosshair using your mouse. Then you are moved to a new screen to shoot more guys.

al-azad posted:

Was it FMV/live actors or 3D graphics?

I believe the graphics were pre-rendered background with sprite characters, like you might see in an old Sierra adventure game. Not 100% positive on this one.

The game does seem VERY similar to Mad Dog McCree except it was not FMV and the title was a more simple, "western" word.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Doing some digging, the only PC lightgun game I can find that fits the bill is something called Smoking Colts, a game so rare that apparently no video footage of it exists online and there are not very many screenshots

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Hakkesshu posted:

Doing some digging, the only PC lightgun game I can find that fits the bill is something called Smoking Colts, a game so rare that apparently no video footage of it exists online and there are not very many screenshots

This isn't it, but it looks close.

Honestly the game HUD looks almost identical to Mad Dog McCree, so much so that I'm attacking my brain trying to remember if I'm totally wrong and it was Mad Dog after all. I'm just so sure the name was Desperado, or something like that...

Well, I'm having my friend look around in his storage to see if he can find his old box somewhere.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Drunk Tomato posted:

This isn't it, but it looks close.

Honestly the game HUD looks almost identical to Mad Dog McCree, so much so that I'm attacking my brain trying to remember if I'm totally wrong and it was Mad Dog after all. I'm just so sure the name was Desperado, or something like that...

Well, I'm having my friend look around in his storage to see if he can find his old box somewhere.

Are you sure it isn't one of the other games by the same company?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Discendo Vox posted:

Are you sure it isn't one of the other games by the same company?

I checked, and no luck. Very interesting to see that the company went on to become HER interactive, though!

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.

Drunk Tomato posted:

I've got one, hopefully quick and easy answer. My Google skills are ineffective, for some reason.

This is a point-and-shoot, fixed-position Western-themed game for PC. 1st person perspective. I played it in the early 2000s but it was picked up from a bargin bin and was probably made sometime in the mid-90s to 2000. That's my best guess, anyway.

I could have sworn the title was Gunslinger or Desperado, but both of those are also titles for more popular games so I might be off.

Was it this?

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I saw a news story this morning about an upcoming game where you drive a rickety Eastern European jalopy around, and it reminded me of some game I saw online a year or two ago. It was also a crappy car simulator, possibly Polish, where the player is supposed to spend a great deal of time fixing poo poo that's broken on their car. The website for the game looked like a Geocities nightmare. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The rear end Stooge posted:

I saw a news story this morning about an upcoming game where you drive a rickety Eastern European jalopy around, and it reminded me of some game I saw online a year or two ago. It was also a crappy car simulator, possibly Polish, where the player is supposed to spend a great deal of time fixing poo poo that's broken on their car. The website for the game looked like a Geocities nightmare. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Thanks!

My summer Car

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Yes, thank you!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

Nope.

I even went through Mobygames lists of Western games and Light Gun games, and I didn't see it.

My friend just let me know that he probably got rid of it long ago, but he agrees that he is pretty sure the name was "Desperado".

EDIT: In his memory, the game was FMV. He says he is 90% sure. I showed him Mad Dog McCree and he agreed with me that it was very very similar, but not the same game. Probably a low budget knockoff. Like I said, we found it in some bargain bin at a bookstore.

Drunk Tomato fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 3, 2016

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
Here's one.

Its an old ps2 game, pretty sure it was turn based, you fight these ugly troll things. The terrain was also destructible; you could set a bomb off and the ground would deform and make a crater.

The bit I remember best was this sniper robot guy who was great at killing everything, so I gave him all my upgrades so he'd be better at it. Then he died in a cut scene and all the upgrades I gave him were wasted. Stopped playing after that.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Future Tactics?

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc
Thats the one. Thanks!

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,

You know what...

I checked again, and my friend and I are about 98% sure that this is actually it!

The only problem being how sure we were that the game was called Desperados. My best guess is that someone had repackaged the game in the Desperados PC box, and confused us when we bought it second-hand.

Anyway, thanks!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Old PC game back when Floppy Discs were a thing. A Cyberpunk... I think it was traffic cops? But you drove a tank and sometimes a helicpoter in a top down shooter. Main character was a woman who at one point gets blown up and brought back as a cyborg. The whole plot was delightfully pulpy.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fans posted:

Old PC game back when Floppy Discs were a thing. A Cyberpunk... I think it was traffic cops? But you drove a tank and sometimes a helicpoter in a top down shooter. Main character was a woman who at one point gets blown up and brought back as a cyborg. The whole plot was delightfully pulpy.

Traffic Department 2192.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Zaodai posted:

Traffic Department 2192.

I was thinking about this game a couple days ago when my wife pointed out one of the last names in a movie's credits: Dickle.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
Super unlikely anyone will know this game from the vague description I can give, but hey, randoms helped me find fury3 on less...

Kids game, sort of educational, WIndows 95 or 98. The protagonist was a Bunny I believe, but there were other characters that you helped.

All I can remember is that you needed to collect a bunch of stuff to get into a castle.

One of the mini-games was collecting the correct things that were going down a stream.

Another of the games within the game was a side-scrolling platformer with some puzzle elements, and I remember alot of falling through holes in the floor and having to climb back up, and I also remember a bunch of fireman poles you slid down.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Manic X posted:

Super unlikely anyone will know this game from the vague description I can give, but hey, randoms helped me find fury3 on less...

Kids game, sort of educational, WIndows 95 or 98. The protagonist was a Bunny I believe, but there were other characters that you helped.

All I can remember is that you needed to collect a bunch of stuff to get into a castle.

One of the mini-games was collecting the correct things that were going down a stream.

Another of the games within the game was a side-scrolling platformer with some puzzle elements, and I remember alot of falling through holes in the floor and having to climb back up, and I also remember a bunch of fireman poles you slid down.

Sounds like an entry in the Reader Rabbit series, possibly with the castle/pole/falling stuff being confused from Treasure Mountain.

Manic X
Jul 1, 2015

:britain:
oh my... I can't believe you managed to get it from that terrible description. Thanks!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Zaodai posted:

Traffic Department 2192.

Nailed it. Thanks!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Here's a tough one , because as far as I know the game never came out. I'm just going off memories of gameplay trailers here. First person shooter, PS3/360 era, I think it was somehow related to CDProject. Either they were supposed to publish it or it was being made by ex-devs. The game itself was sci-fi/cyberpunk and had you fighting robots or aliens or alien robots. From what I recall, its main gimmick was that it used randomly generated weapons, sort of like Borderlands though with less of an RPG focus.

Any ideas?

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
Sounds like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_(video_game)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

I wonder if this was finally cancelled because they started working in earnest on that official Cyberpunk 2020 game or what.

Now that I think about it didn't a bunch of "the devs of _____ are doing a cyberpunk FPS now!!" games get announced around that time? Besides They there was Cyberpunk, Hard Reset (which did actually come out, this was the first game from the Shadow Warrior people who had also worked on Painkiller) and also Samaritan from Epic Games/Cliffy B. There's one other I can't remember.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 24, 2016

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Eeeeeeyup, that's the one.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

I wonder if this was finally cancelled because they started working in earnest on that official Cyberpunk 2020 game or what.

Now that I think about it didn't a bunch of "the devs of _____ are doing a cyberpunk FPS now!!" games get announced around that time? Besides They there was Cyberpunk, Hard Reset (which did actually come out, this was the first game from the Shadow Warrior people who had also worked on Painkiller) and also Samaritan from Epic Games/Cliffy B. There's one other I can't remember.

You're not thinking of Prey 2 are you?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Return to Castle Wolfenstein/Kingpin/early Call of Duty spin off developers Nerve/Gray Matter were working on a game for Activision called Trinity that was super cyberpunk.

E: wow that was 2003 and not as futuristic as I remember.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 24, 2016

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Neo Rasa posted:

The devs of Yakuza did a cyberpunk TPS around the same time - Binary Domain.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
I've got two I need help with:

First, a recentish (2, 3 years max). NES styled platformer on PC(action platformer? I never actually played it). It has vertical bars on the sides which contain the UI to help constrain the actual game to a 4:3 aspect ratio and the dev guy did a whole bunch of interviews with various sites about adhering to NES tile limits, discussion of his colour usage, and all that jazz. I seem to recall lots of blues and purples in the hype pictures.

Secondly, this other one I played in the computer lab in elementary school. I'm 28 now so early-mid 90s. Booted off of a floppy. In this game you were in a cave under a city attempting to restore power. You had to go from room to room, sometimes needing to install lightbulbs in order to have enough light to inspect the room, and then solve simple puzzles. Sometimes basic circuitry puzzles, sometimes just logic stuff like give the sleeping cave troll some meat.

You had a bat companion who could scout rooms. This part is important because I swear the game is called something along the lines of "Batry's great adventure" or some such, as a pun between bat and the batteries you have in limited supply for making circuits. I've asked an old classmate of mine and he remembers the game too so I know I'm not making it up entirely, although I could be mixing up details.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
The first one sounds like either Odallus or Oniken. Both recent, very blue/purple NES-style action platformers from the same dev. The timeframe matches Oniken better, but I believe only Odallus has the vertical sidebar UI.

They cheat a bit with the NES limits but they definitely look the part.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The first one is almost certain Odallus.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
It is most certainly Odallus. Thank you both. It's a very hard game to google for when that's all you remember about it.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What's the name of that indie game where a sun has gone supernova or maybe it was a black hole was about to swallow everything and you get to fly around on a ship to different planets and stuff? Not much of a description since I can't remember much else about the game, but I'm pretty sure there's only one game that's done that so :v:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Robo Reagan posted:

What's the name of that indie game where a sun has gone supernova or maybe it was a black hole was about to swallow everything and you get to fly around on a ship to different planets and stuff? Not much of a description since I can't remember much else about the game, but I'm pretty sure there's only one game that's done that so :v:

Was it Race the Sun?

westborn
Feb 25, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

Not much of a description since I can't remember much else about the game, but I'm pretty sure there's only one game that's done that so :v:

You can't even remember if it's 2D or 3D? Top Down, Sidescrolling, First-Person or maybe just management or adventure style fixed backgrounds? Controlling the ship, the crew or just one crewmember?
With that description it could be FTL just as much as it could be Outer Wilds.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It was Outer Wilds

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
16bit sidescrolling beat em up. I remember fighting a boss in a blimp with a glass floor. I think you could level your guy up a bit like river city ransom but not nearly as in-depth.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think one of the Sonic Blastman games on the SNES (2, maybe?) had a glass bottom blimp fight, though I don't recall any RPG elements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Molybdenum posted:

16bit sidescrolling beat em up. I remember fighting a boss in a blimp with a glass floor. I think you could level your guy up a bit like river city ransom but not nearly as in-depth.

Was it a Street of Rage? (Sorry, couldn't help it, here's some money, go see a Star War). That blimp thing sounds familiar.