Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Yo Eleven
Aug 5, 2010

Justin Godscock posted:

It's the year 2013 and little nuggets like the Hulk Hogan inflatable raft just keep surfacing. I love WCW.

WCW: The gift that keeps on giving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If only the Hulk Hogan Raft could have kept WCW afloat..

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

LordPants posted:

If only the Hulk Hogan Raft could have kept WCW afloat..

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009
The Raft! It's not Hot?!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tuesday Nitro will start a bit later tonight, 9:30 PM: http://sync.coconono.org/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

The second episode features Dean Malenko vs Jushin Liger.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Please join us at like 8:00 or 8:30 or something for the official WCW pregame show, which will be a showcase of the most damaging and stupid indy movez! Will there be a Psycho Driver from a scaffold to the ring? Will there be avalanche Canadian Destroyers? Will there be a tiny man given a Razor's Edge from the ring to the dirt outside? Oh yes!

So join us at maybe 8. There's at least a 30% chance we actually do this.

edit: wait which thread is this. Well, I have my pride. I die here with this post.

Strenuous Manflurry fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 4, 2013

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
New retro Observer! This one covers the aftermath of WCW Uncensored.

quote:

However, the main event, a not well thought out two-on-eight match involving Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage turned out to be even worse than one would have figured going in, and going in people were expecting the worst. The rules of the match were never explained, and in hindsight it appears because nobody had figured them out. On one television show they said the match would be held in the Triple Tower of Doom, a contraption Kevin Sullivan came up with nearly eight years ago for a PPV event. By the TBS show the day before the event, fans were told it would be a four deck cage, complete with trap doors, and it was emphasized that Brian Pillman would be part of the heel team plus they would have a surprise mystery man to finish out the squad as the plans from the previous weekend were changed once again. As it turned out, despite spending the better part of the Saturday show building the match around Pillman being there, he wasn't, and the two slots were taken by Meng & The Barbarian. Reports were that Pillman couldn't make it due to medical complications stemming from his throat surgery the previous week and WCW was aware of it by Thursday afternoon. When the WCW Saturday Night show was taped on Wednesday night, they weren't aware Pillman wasn't going to be there, although it's not clear whether they actually informed him that he was going to be announced as being in the main event before taping the interviews announcing it to the world. When Pillman informed the office the next day he wasn't going to be there, they had two days to make whatever edits were necessary to not false advertise, but aired the show as is anyway. Then, after spending the Saturday show hyping Pillman as the main last minute thrust for late buys, on the Sunday Main Event show, being done live, they never once mentioned Pillman wasn't going to be in the match as advertised. Even WWF couldn't resist making remarks about bait-and-switch on PPVs the next night on Raw. On Nitro the day after the show, Eric Bischoff gave as a lame reason for Pillman not being there that he refused to team up with Kevin Sullivan, so Pillman wasn't buried on the air for not being there as some had speculated would happen since there was heat regarding it.

The rules were explained that Hogan & Savage would have to beat everyone on the heel team in order to eliminate them.

What happened was something different. The cage was three decks, and with no mat on the top two decks. This made it very difficult to get good footing or take meaningful bumps. Thus even with Ric Flair & Arn Anderson on the top level, the action was horrible. But once they had powder thrown in their eyes, and no pinfalls, they were temporarily eliminated, and things got worse. At one point Hogan, Savage, Kevin Sullivan and Lex Luger left the entire cage area (what's the point of a cage if everyone can easily get out?) and went to the original ring and had several minutes of generally bad action. And then Jeep Swenson, with his third ring name of the week, this time called The Ultimate Solution, and the former Zeus who took Hogan and Savage back into the cage. By this point the match, a nightmare from the start that seemed to never end, got worse. Swenson and Zeus lived up to all expectations that they didn't have clue one. And there was a lot of controversy both among the wrestlers and from the outside regarding the newcomers. Some saw it as living proof of a double standard on the steroid issue, as if there is any standard at all to begin with. The WCW wrestlers have been told to get off steroids as its company policy and many have gotten off steroids. More and more see company policy as not being the same for all concerned. Others, forgetting that issue, felt using two guys with absolutely no ability and putting them in a PPV main event was bad for a company in which numerous wrestlers with the company can't even get on a PPV show. If the show doesn't do well in the buy rate, which given how hot pro wrestling is right now, is very unlikely, there would be heat on Hogan since he pretty much put it together on his own. But many people, Hogan included, deserve heat for the lack of organization, the bait-and-switch tactics and the overall awful product quality as it concerns the main event.

On Booty Man vs. DDP:

quote:

Finish saw Page go to kiss Kimberly, who was dressed up like a ballerina in a sixth grade play and acting like a sixth grade girl around the ring saying things like, "I want him to be my boy friend." Kimberly slapped him, stunning Page and Booty hit a high knee which was more like a low knee for the pin in 16:00. Booty Man than kissed Kimberly and she sold it like it was her first kiss of her life. Even by the standards of pro wrestling, this angle is the most unrealistic thing in the world. DUD

This could be the worst major main event ever.

quote:

7. Hulk Hogan (Terry Bollea) & Randy Savage (Randy Poffo) beat Meng (Uliuli Fifita) & Barbarian (Sionne Vailahi) & Ric Flair (Richard Fliehr) & Arn Anderson (Marty Lunde) & Kevin Sullivan & Lex Luger (Larry Pfohl) & Ze Gangsta (Tom Lister) & Ultimate Solution (Jeep Swenson) in 25:16. Hogan & Savage worked with Flair & Anderson on the top level, and threw powder at them to go to the middle level. There they faced Sullivan, Luger, Meng & Barbarian. They locked Meng & Barbarian in half of the middle level cage, and then the other four wound up in the wrestling ring. Finally Jeep & Zeus, who weren't even there at the beginning (Schiavone kept asking where Jeep, Zeus and Pillman were, still hinting that Pillman would be there even though he wasn't, taking the bait-and-switch well past any point of sensibility), showed up. They dragged Hogan & Savage into the bottom level of the cage and it only got worse since they can't work. Somewhere while all this was going on, Meng & Barbarian were let out of their cage and simply walked backstage. Finally Sullivan, Luger, Flair and Anderson were in the bottom cage so it was six-on-two. Jimmy Hart gave Luger a loaded black glove and he went to hit Savage, who ducked, and then he held up, then changed his mind and KO'd Flair for the pin. -***

Tony Schiavone, keeping it real.

quote:

The humorous backstage note on the show was that when the show started, Flair, Heenan and Okerlund still hadn't arrived. The story is that they got lost trying to find Tupelo from coming in at the Memphis Airport the day of the show. Usually everyone gets in a day early for PPV events but Flair had some kind of a commitment the night before and since he's a pro, nobody ever worries about him. That's why Lee Marshall opened the Main Event show and when Okerlund finally appeared about 15 minutes into the show, he had done a rushed make-up job, why Bobby Heenan wasn't in a suit (and why at the end of the show Tony Schiavone made a crack about not to get lost wherever they were going) and why Flair missed the first heel interview during the Main Event show.

There was a deal with the WCW Cruiserweight title, but it appears the WCW section might not have been transcribed.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
That sure is a whole lot of negative stars. This match sounds amazing.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

quote:

who weren't even there at the beginning (Schiavone kept asking where Jeep, Zeus and Pillman were, still hinting that Pillman would be there even though he wasn't, taking the bait-and-switch well past any point of sensibility)

If I recall this is the one that Pillman ducked out of to preserve his career, even though Hogan wanted him (to job). So I suppose it's possible that no one told Schiavone that Pillman was not going to wrestle, perhaps because they themselves didn't know.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Memento1979 posted:

Once you watch it you can not unwatch it
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5i9yo_hulk-hogan-macho-man-randy-savage-v_sport

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Memento1979 posted:

It was on the Tuesday Night Nitro playlist a few weeks ago.

Words can not adequately describe it.

Everything past Meng getting locked in the second tier cage is just an utter train wreck.

Dave even skimped on the Booty Man clearing the cage with frying pans. Or Hogan trying to throw Sullivan off the scaffolding for five minutes.

At least the camera work was decent.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Its a cool cage and I hope someone tries to use it again. But this time with a more sensible match structure.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

If I recall this is the one that Pillman ducked out of to preserve his career, even though Hogan wanted him (to job). So I suppose it's possible that no one told Schiavone that Pillman was not going to wrestle, perhaps because they themselves didn't know.

Yeah, I read an article Meltzer wrote after Pillman's death a bit ago, and this is the one where Pillman just "had" to get surgery at that moment.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

coconono posted:

Its a cool cage and I hope someone tries to use it again. But this time with a more sensible match structure.

Someone said that Hogan probably nixed the original match and I'd agree.

Its also a shame that Dave didn't mention the ending a bit more in depth.

Flair and Anderson were the first wrestlers eliminated after Hogan and Savage through baby powder in their faces. They made it to the next level.

At the end of the match, Flair and Arn are still wrestling after getting released. Tony said they were eliminated. Luger punches Flair with that goddamned coal miner's glove. Hogan and Savage walk out of the cage before Savage realized someone needs to make a pin or something to end this train wreck. So he pins Flair, the first guy who was eliminated from the match.

God I saw that match once and its been etched into my brain. gently caress. That. Match.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Pretty sure Dave's mind shut down at some point in that match. I know mind did.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
My favorites:

quote:

WCW Uncensored on 3/24 from the Tupelo, MS Coliseum received blistering reviews. Many wrote and faxed in that they believed it to have been the worst PPV show in history. For a show that had three matches out of seven that were good, that's a harsh review and one I can't go along with. However, the main event may go down as the worst main event in PPV history. It was a fiasco on more different levels than the number of levels of cages in the stage area.

quote:

However, the main event, a not well thought out two-on-eight match involving Hulk Hogan and Randy Savage turned out to be even worse than one would have figured going in, and going in people were expecting the worst. The rules of the match were never explained, and in hindsight it appears because nobody had figured them out.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Jesus loving Christ, that was monotony at its best. Any idea whose idea this was?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

uncleKitchener posted:

Jesus loving Christ, that was monotony at its best. Any idea whose idea this was?

Hogan's.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

The coal miner's glove thing is so hilarious because of Luger botching it. Savage was supposed to drop at the last second letting him clock Flair, but Luger pulls the punch for a second before Savage drops....and THEN still goes through with decking Flair anyways.

The whole match is absolutely atrocious from top to bottom. It's extremely entertaining for just how bad it was from top to bottom. Convoluted rules, no sense of order, horrendous work rate, clueless and unprofessional commentary, and a gently caress finish if there ever was one.

It's basically so bad that it's good to watch. WCW.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
And it's worth repeating that one of the bad guys in that match was debuted under the name "The Final Solution".

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

And it's worth repeating that one of the bad guys in that match was debuted under the name "The Final Solution".
At least he wasn't a face, though.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
I tried watching it, as I tuned into that Uncensored sync some time ago, but the DDP VS. Booty Man match just had me... Amazed, and not in a good way. I couldn't even recognize DDP. I stopped there, but found the main event on DailyMotion, tried watching it, and just couldn't. It's unbearable. If you can enjoy it in that 'this movie is so bad that it's good' way, good for you, I wish I could.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Rad R. posted:

I tried watching it, as I tuned into that Uncensored sync some time ago, but the DDP VS. Booty Man match just had me... Amazed, and not in a good way. I couldn't even recognize DDP. I stopped there, but found the main event on DailyMotion, tried watching it, and just couldn't. It's unbearable. If you can enjoy it in that 'this movie is so bad that it's good' way, good for you, I wish I could.

In fairness, most of it is completely unwatchable poo poo. The "so bad it's good" part is the dumb finish.

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Watching the Nitro sync right now. Insane, chaotic. Dumb. But Flair is pure gold, and so is Macho. I'm discovering new ways to hate Bischoff. Also, is chat working or not? Can't seem to comment.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

Rad R. posted:

Watching the Nitro sync right now. Insane, chaotic. Dumb. But Flair is pure gold, and so is Macho. I'm discovering new ways to hate Bischoff. Also, is chat working or not? Can't seem to comment.

Did you make a name, even a guest name, in the top right?

Rad R.
Oct 10, 2012
Wow, I didn't even look there. Thanks. Guess I'll blame Luger's face.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

WCW was pretty dumb for spoiling that he wouldn't be able to get the job done.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

MassRafTer posted:

WCW was pretty dumb for spoiling that he wouldn't be able to get the job done.

The Penultimate Solution.

Apparently that dude was Bane in one of the Batman movies.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The best Batman movie (with the exception of Batman: The Movie.)

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

The best Batman movie (with the exception of Batman: The Movie.)

And the one a bunch of us watched on synchtube one night

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm watching that Youtube clip show of every single nWo segment, and Heenan saying "is everyone turning on everyone?!" cracked me up for some reason.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

In fairness, most of it is completely unwatchable poo poo. The "so bad it's good" part is the dumb finish.

Watching that finish, I seriously thought it was a twist ending where Luger was turning to save Savage and Hogan.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Claytor posted:

Watching that finish, I seriously thought it was a twist ending where Luger was turning to save Savage and Hogan.

Well, kinda.

WCW had been running an angle where Luger and Sting were friends, despite Luger being a heel and having some kind of association with the Dungeon of Doom. Everyone kept telling Sting that Lex was going to betray him at some point, and Sting being Sting ignored them. At the PPV, it was supposed to be Luger/Sting vs. Road Warriors, but Luger was put into the tower clusterfuck and that's what led to the Sting/Booker vs. Road Warriors snoozer. If anything, the Luger hesitation before hitting Flair may have been the only decent part of the match, since it cemented Luger as a face.

The blowoff came at War Games, where the nWo Sting had everyone convinced that Sting had turned, and when Sting protested Luger didn't believe him. Having had Luger's back despite everyone telling him otherwise, yet people doubting Sting the second it appeared he had turned, caused Sting to snap and go into the rafters for a year and a half.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Holy poo poo that was bad. That was so bad. I think that match gave me rabies.

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.
The frying pan spot is just so... so magnificently awful. It's really something I'll never get out of my brain.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

C. Everett Koop posted:

Well, kinda.

WCW had been running an angle where Luger and Sting were friends, despite Luger being a heel and having some kind of association with the Dungeon of Doom. Everyone kept telling Sting that Lex was going to betray him at some point, and Sting being Sting ignored them. At the PPV, it was supposed to be Luger/Sting vs. Road Warriors, but Luger was put into the tower clusterfuck and that's what led to the Sting/Booker vs. Road Warriors snoozer. If anything, the Luger hesitation before hitting Flair may have been the only decent part of the match, since it cemented Luger as a face.

The blowoff came at War Games, where the nWo Sting had everyone convinced that Sting had turned, and when Sting protested Luger didn't believe him. Having had Luger's back despite everyone telling him otherwise, yet people doubting Sting the second it appeared he had turned, caused Sting to snap and go into the rafters for a year and a half.

Ah ok, so the spot isn't a botch then...it's a semi-face turn. That wasn't apparent to me because this was WCW after all.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

The frying pan spot is just so... so magnificently awful. It's really something I'll never get out of my brain.

Also the part where Savage goes to walk out at a normal pace, then dives back in to pin Flair(?!) and then falls out of the cage like he's just run for his life 20 minute straight.

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

coconono posted:

Also the part where Savage goes to walk out at a normal pace, then dives back in to pin Flair(?!) and then falls out of the cage like he's just run for his life 20 minute straight.

See, that finish would've been great if it was a pin-or-escape match. Then, it's Savage going for the opportunity to actually beat Flair instead of just escaping a cage, and is kind of an interesting character moment.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

triplexpac posted:

I'm watching that Youtube clip show of every single nWo segment, and Heenan saying "is everyone turning on everyone?!" cracked me up for some reason.

I watched that too, and cracked up at the same line. I just imagined Bobby had just witnessed a crack in time so he could see into the future, like the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

You might notice that Bobby's predictions and comments become more out there as the weeks go on. This was because Bischoff gave him a massive poo poo fit post the Hogan turn at Bash for correctly predicting the turn, and informed him that he should try and be less smart. Despite his predictions become more out there he still ended up being on the mark more times than not up until he just stopped caring.