Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
I don't want to "get used to" these procedures. You "get used to" them the same way your parents "get used to" fox news, the way Gage "got used to" railroads.

sullat posted:

If it makes you feel less worse, the new TCOs in my office all feel underwater as well.

I know, it's exactly what I'd expect and it's the half the reason I'm so sick. Everyone is looking for the door. The loving Jarhead school of job training.

TheMadMilkman posted:

And IDRS is remarkably fast and stable. It may not be user-friendly, but for mission-critical systems, fast and stable are a godsend.

I don't care if it's made of greased adamantium if the entire rest of the service's IT revolves around decades-old barely-functional unfunded half-measures that people have to use to interact with it.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"Having to learn the procedures and processes for my complicated new job is like fascist indoctrination" -- a grown-rear end adult man, apparently

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Antivehicular posted:

"Having to learn the procedures and processes for my complicated new job is like fascist indoctrination" -- a grown-rear end adult man, apparently

I don't have a problem with complexity - I have a tremendous capacity for complexity. What I have little tolerance for is bad practices - and the policies and processes I'm getting exposed to are remarkably bad. They are much worse than comparable operational functions in other places, including other federal agencies. They are known to be bad, they are infamously bad, other people in the thread have joked about how bad they are, and other people in the thread have observed how other hires are struggling, how the poor onboarding is causing them to flee.

Seriously, it took me a month and a half to go from

Discendo Vox posted:

I firmly believe that bureaucratic reform is possible at the IRS

to here.

Decision after decision that I've seen has created nonsensical busywork and error risk. The manual issue entry, the duplicative scheduling, the inconsistent communication standards, the manual scheduled interest rate updates, the replicable calculation errors, the ever-growing mountain of parallel, outdated training resources, job aids and incomplete databases (this knowledge management "library" especially). The IRM itself is like something out of a Pratchett novel - weighty, authoritative, and ridiculous in its incompleteness and obsolescence. Fixing the publication pipeline could at least let it stop pointing to IRweb all over the place.

Mush Mushi
Sep 9, 2007
I don’t directly access IDRS anymore since moving to LB&I, but one thing that helped me was reading the BNA portfolio for tax administration (if you get Westlaw access they include the BNA content there). It’s basically the IRM but in non-insane language and cites back to the IRM and other real authority. I’m not sure if this advice really applies for TCO work though. It also won’t help you make sense of IDRS reports. I’m not sure what would help there other than years of experience working in it or well thought out training on how to read that poo poo (lol).

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Lol there are like 10 million treasury jobs listed on usajobs in my searches and this just reminds me why I just wade right through and look elsewhere.

Even the HUD people I know, who are the most dour feds I know, clown on the idea of IRS to me.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Mush Mushi posted:

I don’t directly access IDRS anymore since moving to LB&I, but one thing that helped me was reading the BNA portfolio for tax administration (if you get Westlaw access they include the BNA content there). It’s basically the IRM but in non-insane language and cites back to the IRM and other real authority. I’m not sure if this advice really applies for TCO work though. It also won’t help you make sense of IDRS reports. I’m not sure what would help there other than years of experience working in it or well thought out training on how to read that poo poo (lol).

Thanks, I've got Westlaw, I'll definitely take a look at that.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mush Mushi posted:

There's way too much information to decode IDRS. You get used to it, though. Your brain does the translating. I don't even see the code. All I see is blonde, brunette, redhead.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

i used csi and the cc job aid until i didn't need them for a lot of things, per as mentioned matrix osmosis

i'm not a tco though, just a schlub am rep. you lucky ducks don't have the taxpayers nag you to hurry up and press the refund button at least

e: most taxpayers are actually fine, today just sucked

Ignatius M. Meen fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 18, 2019

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

sullat posted:

blonde, brunette, redhead.

UNAX! UNAX!

Delorence Fickle
Feb 21, 2011
We interrupt the usual complaints of government bureaucracy and its legacy systems to bring some good news for once.

We got Christmas eve off.

https://www.govexec.com/pay-benefits/2019/12/surprise-move-trump-gives-federal-employees-christmas-eve/161974/

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
A 3.1% pay raise, 12 weeks paid paternity/maternity leave, AND Christmas Eve off?

Must be an election year.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

i believe we got christmas eve off last year

i also remember what happened after that last year. i will believe this will not repeat itself this year only when the bill's actually signed

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

i believe we got christmas eve off last year

i also remember what happened after that last year. i will believe this will not repeat itself this year only when the bill's actually signed

We did, it got us a 4 day weekend. We haven't gotten a Tuesday xmas off since like the 50s though evidently.

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Odd seeing that I just got an email this morning saying my agency had a 3 hour early dismissal on Xmas eve :<

Here’s hoping that will get adjusted

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

PneumonicBook posted:

A 3.1% pay raise, 12 weeks paid paternity/maternity leave, AND Christmas Eve off?

Must be an election year.

Not a bad outcome, considering that two years ago I thought I'd either be laid off or have all of my benefits cut by now.

The "lmao" part of this is that a non-negligible number of broke-brain feds will probably decide to vote for tromp due to the meager handout.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Thesaurus posted:

Not a bad outcome, considering that two years ago I thought I'd either be laid off or have all of my benefits cut by now.

The "lmao" part of this is that a non-negligible number of broke-brain feds will probably decide to vote for tromp due to the meager handout.

Funny how Tromp was railing against the deep state aka government bureacrats, but he ended up hooking them up.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Howard Phillips posted:

Funny how Tromp was railing against the deep state aka government bureacrats, but he ended up hooking them up.

It is funny. because all he had to do is talk poo poo about scourging bureaucrats to satisfy his base. none of them is actually following any of the details, especially stuff like annual raises

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

3.1% is below the industry average estimate of 3-6% raise though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

3.1% is below the industry average estimate of 3-6% raise though.

Lmao if you think feds will ever be paid at anything approaching parity with “industry.”

Czolgosz
Sep 13, 2007
I'll be the Lee Harvey Oswald to your Jack Kennedy.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Speaking of reinstatement, I've been wondering about something. I hired on in 2010, so my FERS contribution is only 0.8%. If I were to leave the government and come back, would I still only contribute 0.8%, or would I be bumped up to the current 4.4%?
OPM's determination guidance states:

quote:

An individual hired in 2014 or later will be subject to original FERS coverage if any of these exceptions apply:
1. the individual on December 31, 2012, was covered under FERS; or
2. the individual on December 31, 2012, was performing civilian service which is creditable or potentially creditable service under FERS (for example, the individual may have been performing service as a Peace Corps volunteer or may have been covered under another retirement system from which service credit may be transferred to FERS, such as CSRS, CSRS-Offset, Foreign Service, Federal Reserve, or CIARDS), or
3. the individual on December 31, 2012, was not covered under FERS and was not performing civilian service which is creditable or potentially creditable service under FERS, but as of December 31, 2012, had performed at least five years of civilian service creditable or potentially creditable under FERS, including service subject to CSRS or CSRS-Offset.

Based on your post, it sounds like #1 applies to you, so you'd get back in at under FERS (0.8% contributions, as opposed to higher contributions under FERS-RAE and FERS-FRAE coverage) if you separated and then returned.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The current FERS deduction is bullshit and I’d rather have the money to invest.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

The current FERS deduction is bullshit and I’d rather have the money to invest.

Quit and go contractor, you can probably get the same or better job and the exposure to markets you crave.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Midjack posted:

Quit and go contractor, you can probably get the same or better job and the exposure to markets you crave.

Can't wait to get more gov experience then see where I can go as a contractor. My buddy who is 39 did this, and he's making just under $200k for basically the same thing he was doing as a GS14 program manager.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I get offered jobs across the street at LM literally weekly, and while they'd pay 20kish more all of that would have to be dumped into investing to get a comparative pension. Not to mention I'd have way less time off and less flexibility in my schedule. I'd have to be making like 50k more for that to be worth it to me personally.

Everyone's situation is different though. My goal is to retire as close to 58 as I can (retirement is probably more like leaving whatever job I have at 58 and transitioning into a gs 9/7/5 and then full on retiring at 63) and the only path I see to do that is government work.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

I get offered jobs across the street at LM literally weekly, and while they'd pay 20kish more all of that would have to be dumped into investing to get a comparative pension. Not to mention I'd have way less time off and less flexibility in my schedule. I'd have to be making like 50k more for that to be worth it to me personally.

Everyone's situation is different though. My goal is to retire as close to 58 as I can (retirement is probably more like leaving whatever job I have at 58 and transitioning into a gs 9/7/5 and then full on retiring at 63) and the only path I see to do that is government work.

I like your plan. The older I get, the more I feel the same. I don't even have kids yet but can understand why peeps in my generation are delaying family and having fewer children.

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
BLM Alaska is advertising for a temporary GS9 archeologist.

If you want to play Indiana Jones in the middle of Alaska with no health insurance, now's your chance!

sparkmaster fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Dec 20, 2019

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

gently caress yeah I should apply for that. Are there two postings so my wife can get in on this? ( We met on an Archaeology dig )

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Goodpancakes posted:

gently caress yeah I should apply for that. Are there two postings so my wife can get in on this? ( We met on an Archaeology dig )

I assume there were “dig you” pick up lines involved?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

lol

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1208221277917515777?s=20

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

If we’re doing that well, quit waiving FEPCA you coward.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Give me back my overtime, I'm drowning.

Also, figure out a way to use that parental leave to take a two-week vacation with my teenage daughters since i'm a single dad.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Beerdeer posted:

Give me back my overtime, I'm drowning.

Also, figure out a way to use that parental leave to take a two-week vacation with my teenage daughters since i'm a single dad.

Renounce your children (somehow) and then adopt them back to qualify. Maybe do this once per daughter per year to maximize it?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Finally a reason to get married and pop one out.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I love all of the hot takes from chud-feds(online and in my own office) being irate about how the benefit doesn't help them personally and how that's bullshit and unfair

Terror Ninja
Oct 23, 2008

El Mero Mero posted:

I love all of the hot takes from chud-feds(online and in my own office) being irate about how the benefit doesn't help them personally and how that's bullshit and unfair

Yep, and how they could care less about new employees paying 5x what they do for the same pension.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

We need to change the motto of the United States from “In God We Trust” to “gently caress You, Got Mine”.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Midjack posted:

We need to change the motto of the United States from “In God We Trust” to “gently caress You, Got Mine”.

My dude, have you heard of the prosperity gospel?

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

I read a comment concerned about the possibility that a fed could hypothetically have two babies in one year... It's just not fair!

Also a comment from a male Boomer fed griping they he only took a couple weeks for each of his kids and it was just fine. I wonder how his wife felt?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

El Mero Mero posted:

I promise I was going for mild humor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlitzkrieg Bop
Sep 19, 2005

It's not even really extra leave...it just lets you take paid FMLA instead of unpaid, with the caveat that you have to agree to come back to work for 12 weeks after it's over.