Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
The government is putting out a bunch of video statements about the protests, but this is the only one in English:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvQFYP-2Jyg
And you can tell the guy is not happy about having to give this very lovely report in English.

And now even though people won't stop singing that lovely song by Beyond, I'm gonna bring up this old Le Mis variation they did a while back. It's still relevant because the protesters sing it occasionally and have been holding up banners and signs that read "Do you hear the people sing?"

Bloodnose posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7Zt639NdUM
Translation by Real Hong Kong News:
Who has yet to speak up?
We all have the responsibility to defend our city.
We are born with the rights and have the desire to be in charge of our own land.
Who would surrender to suppression and remain silent.
Who has not been woken up?
The sound of freedom is spreading.
Waking up our consciences which we shall never forget

Why is a sweet dream still a dream, and many still hope that our dream would be granted by others?
It is easy for us to tell black from white and right from wrong!
To defend the future of our next generation, we must open our eyes now!

No one should remain silent, and watch Hong Kong to be turned red!
Ask ourselves then use our own hands to fight for a future we have a vote in!
We are humans, we have the responsibility and freedom to choose and shape our future!

edit: I'll briefly explain the Chinese ones anyway:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxQDnAqeicI
CY says China isn't going to send in any troops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZEVvj5H5gc
CY says this protest isn't helping anything and you gotta think about democracy in the long term

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Kj6OpYv6k
CY says you gotta respect the police

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDGOmXOdyPs
CY says you gotta stop disrupting people's lives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3u11y-beU04
CY says the exact same thing in a video the government apparently uploaded twice under different titles :shrug:

Deep State of Mind fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Sep 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pyramid Scheme posted:

689 is CY Leung - it's the number of votes he got when he was elected.

My view on how this plays out:

Protests will probably peak at the Oct 1 public holiday on Wednesday, then naturally dissipate, point made.

Beijing's mouthpieces in HK will spread the message that mainland will intervene if HK cops don't "get things under control". I've already heard those lines. Protesters stare that threat down, continue protesting until Wednesday night.

Beijing mouthpieces then claim the lack of PLA intervention showed how benevolent Beijing is and that protestors showed good sense by dissipating, let's all now just accept the norm set by Beijing.

Beijing pushes CY Leung out of office the same way they offed Tung Chee Wah after the Article 23 debacle, present that as a "concession". CY was never their first choice, just a guy sensible enough to keep his illegal structures secret until after he got elected.

No real changes on universal suffrage.

I could be completely surprised. Like I have been as HK students have smashed my conceited gweilo preconceptions that they are largely spoon fed conservatives.

I left HK in January this year after a decade there. I'm wishing I was back there now for this.

I think the protesters have to protest through Oct 1st for maximum impact and then find some way to kick it up a notch afterward.

Stupid question: have there actually been a list of demands? This could be critical in determining if the protests have any legs.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Vladimir Putin posted:

Stupid question: have there actually been a list of demands? This could be critical in determining if the protests have any legs.

Yes. A list of achievable demands was the first thing they announced. There are four. One is the release of all the arrested protesters, another is that the police apologize for their excessive force, the last is of course that the NPCSC retract its decision on universal suffrage and I forgot what the third one was.

More lovely statements from the government:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75i704WPn8M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtpWz5dGXeI
This one is great. They're actually postponing their lovely fake consultation on universal suffrage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtpWz5dGXeI

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Some posts from mainlander friends on Facebook:

quote:

Seeing a lot of news sharing/comments/outbursts on what's happening in HK, just want to say, I respect those who do research on history and has a clear mind while handling information. The picture is the bridge that connects HongKong to ShenZhen.

quote:

Same feeling. Rational people see things under the surface. AND students should not be sacrificed as a political tool used by some people on purpose.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Good point, we should blow up that bridge.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

I lover the mainlander attitude of like, "There is a status quo in place, and yes it is hugely to your detriment in every way, but it's like this already, so stop having these outbursts and disrupting traffic...it's hurting my feelings very much....by the way do you know history?"

Fall Sick and Die
Nov 22, 2003

systran posted:

Some posts from mainlander friends on Facebook:

Presumably a lot of what they're saying is simply direct quotes of whatever the government has actually deigned to release about the topic. I have some teenagers from China here and I was explaining the situation to them, they told their parents and the parents start frantically contacting me, giving me a very similar line... 'You know history, please tell them the truth, explain to them that they should look under the surface.' The truth being... the omnipresent black hand of the CIA!!

Fall Sick and Die fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Sep 30, 2014

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Bloodnose posted:

Good point, we should blow up that bridge.

It's ok we have at least 3 more.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

systran posted:

I lover the mainlander attitude of like, "There is a status quo in place, and yes it is hugely to your detriment in every way, but it's like this already, so stop having these outbursts and disrupting traffic...it's hurting my feelings very much....by the way do you know history?"

systran, it is time again to put your incredible talent to work.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

It's ok we have at least 3 more.

Points?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

quote:

How will events unfold tomorrow in Hong Kong SAR?
It's 1 October and you are standing shoulder-to-shoulder in the heart of the city. Indeed, it's so crowded that not even an apple could fall between you and the person on either side of you. Changes are coming, and you are there--with thousands more--being a part of history. The year is 1949, and the place is Tiananmen Square. New China is blossoming, in fact, you can feel it in the air.

In 1997 Hong Kong reunited with the People's Republic of China, and every year since, Hong Kong has joined in the National Day celebrations. While our Chinese Hong Kong brothers and sisters were not able to join us in the revolution for complicated reasons, everyone in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region is urged to join in celebration. Tomorrow is a chance for all of us to relive the original spirit and love of country that sprung to life 65 years ago.

So, how will events unfold in Hong Kong tomorrow on this landmark anniversary of our country? For one, there will be some interesting parades and festivities all throughout the city. Do you like traditional Chinese culture, well, then you're in luck, because there will be dragons and colourful designs including reds, greens and whites.

Of course, you can't celebrate National Day without fireworks, and the festivities this year will include a very special show. There will be the customary display, which is exciting enough, but the finale will fire many shots--65 in fact--one for each year of New China. You may be wondering where to get the best view of the show, well, booking a harbour cruise will give you a great view of the city and the fireworks. You also can't go wrong with Bauhinia Square, as you will have an opportunity to hear some government officials speak, then you can stay for the fireworks. It is best to avoid the financial district, as the traffic is bad and the view is not as suitable as from the waterfront.

China's rise will continue peacefully, and China will not meddle in international affairs as the U.S. and Europe are doing in the middle east and Russia. These places must respect Russian sovereignty. We understand history and have suffered under the yoke of both British and Japanese imperialism, so we now will celebrate a unified China, which is perhaps the greatest gift to have for the 65th birthday of our country.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

:golfclap:

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

lol

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

That's beautiful.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
China's only 65 years old? Then how can it be five thousand years old? I don't understand! I don't understand!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

No loving way :stare:

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I am legitimately worried for my friends in Hong Kong. I will be watching the October 1st protests very closely. :/

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Presumably a lot of what they're saying is simply direct quotes of whatever the government has actually deigned to release about the topic. I have some teenagers from China here and I was explaining the situation to them, they told their parents and the parents start frantically contacting me, giving me a very similar line... 'You know history, please tell them the truth, explain to them that they should look under the surface.' The truth being... the omnipresent black hand of the CIA!!

A quick survey of four 20-something Beijingers I took last night resulted in a unanimous verdict of 'don't understand why they're protesting, don't really give a poo poo'.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

V for Vegas posted:

A quick survey of four 20-something Beijingers I took last night resulted in a unanimous verdict of 'don't understand why they're protesting, don't really give a poo poo'.

When soldiers from England landed in America to put down the revolution they had no idea why Americans were rebelling. The land here was way richer than in their homeland and the average American way better off.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Fall Sick and Die posted:

Is that really how Chinese parents deal with dissent? Rather then say "Oh, your teacher is just confused" they call you and beg you to tell them the party line?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

pentyne posted:

Is that really how Chinese parents deal with dissent? Rather then say "Oh, your teacher is just confused" they call you and beg you to tell them the party line?

Whoa, and imply that an authority figure is wrong?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Day 3 recap!

http://imgur.com/a/69mof

It was quiet in the morning but crowds gathered in the afternoon. I was cleaning up some officer workers garbage and some yelled insults at me, some told me to go clean up more garbage elsewhere, and some office workers were showing support. By the afternoon, I helped move supplies here and there and removed plastic labels from water bottles. It's easier for the people in the recycling plants to process and if needs be people can make face masks.

I heard some of the group leaders tried to make protesters have do some activities instead of just sitting around. Cardboard boxes were teared up to make signs and more banners made. Some were really creative and funny.

By 730pm there was a bit of a thunderstorm and everyone was in a hurry to hand out ponchos and scrambling supplies to a safe spot. The students were yelling "STRIKE 689 WITH LIGHTNING!" and the rain invigorated them. The rain only lasted 10 minutes and by 8pm people were in a mass chant. Somehow I ended up being a chant leader and lots of students offered me some throat drops afterwards :shobon: I never thought that I would volunteer so much. First I thought of just taking some pictures and showing support but seeing the efforts everyone made me really impressed and want to help out. There's always some garbage to clean, some water or food to distribute, some signage made, something to be done.

Anyways some pictures

Setting up tarps

Aid station by the overpass

"Come on out, 689!"

More larger tents being set up this time.

Falun Gong signs. I really wanted to cut them down. No political party is flying their flag or laying claim. Saw them handing out their newspaper like evangelicals, but everyone knows they are kooky people and dismiss them.

Seems like Admiralty is the central hub.

Garbage being collected. Think the leadership is trying to contract a dump truck to throw the garbage away.

Postal workers carting stuff since ROADS ARE BLOCKED. I also saw cargo truckers carting this around the road too. Occupiers are helping them out move stuff to and being apologetic.

Another aid station

Protesters are trying to keep themselves occupied instead of just lazying around

Empty by day, full by night.

Supply stations are relaying what they need and encouraging on lookers for the types of supplies. No fresh food, small individual packets, ponchos, surgical gloves. However, googles and masks are almost all sold out in Hong Kong Island and Kowloon

Some older tatoo guys sitting on the other side. They may look like triads just sitting around but they still helped out moving poo poo.

I loving cleaned this

And this, I barely even clean my room, but I did make this spotless. gently caress cigarette butts.

You can see it's pretty empty because traffic has been cordoned off.

Around 8.

Yeah it was a huge crowd, right after the thunderstorm

People were lighting their cellphone torches and chanting 香港加油 "Go Hong Kong!" Apple Daily flies their drone at this time of the day (yeah it's a bit coordinated for the media)

Eeeek, I was on the pedestrian bridge, but everyone still remained on the spot.

Lots of ponchos being handed out. Think we need more

Lots of traffic redirection

People participating and showing support. Trying to bolden "HOPE"

A banner commemorating 65 year anniversary got slashed. Behind it is a banner saying "Civil Disobedience"

Helping people traverse over barriers

Highschool math homework.

Moving more barriers. They get shifted all the time. Protesters were worried about police flooding in so choke points were made, or just pushed further to accommodate crowds. Each barrier set up has a bunch of umbrellas sticking out.

On top of an empty parking lot. I'm glad that no one is stepping on the grass. It's the WW2 memorial.

The graffiti was "dismiss the government". Some highschool teacher showed up with bucket of white paint to remove it. I'm glad that no one is grtaffiting on anything. People just make signs and banners and stick it on the walls.

That's Day 3!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

V for Vegas posted:

Quick survey of my 20-something coworkers resulted in the unanimous verdict of "what?" followed by "oh, that's bad" when the election issue was explained. The most personal opinion I got was "Hong Kong people won't accept that," in response to explaining the election thing.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

I just had a class with a visiting professor. He made an interesting point in regards to what options Xi Jinping might chose in response to these protests. As background, he's a Hong Kong native, educated in the US, phd in political science and an avowed Pan-Democrat.

He said that Xi Jinping is currently embarking on two mammoth endeavors: his anti-corruption campaign and efforts to privatize some of the bigger state-owned enterprises. These are supposed to set the tone for his regime; ensuring that they succeed is vital. That being the case, he might not want to spend the political capital required to get approval for a Tienanmen-style crackdown from the moderate, Hu Jintao clique that still holds some degree of influence. This professor thought there was a reasonable chance that Xi gives some moderate concession to the HK protesters so that he can concentrate on other domestic issues.

Anyway, it's just one guy's opinion, but it is nice to get a slightly more optimistic perspective on occasion.

Edit: and the Chinese nationals in the class give similar views as those above. One thought that the HKers seemed like "spoiled children", complaining even though they already have more rights than mainland Chinese.

Webcormac McCarthy
Nov 26, 2007
I asked my mainland friend what he thought about these protests and he went off on how the CIA are in the crowd urging on the protest just like back in '89 at Tiananmen square. :what:

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Chinese, In Actuality.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Smiling Knight posted:

I just had a class with a visiting professor. He made an interesting point in regards to what options Xi Jinping might chose in response to these protests. As background, he's a Hong Kong native, educated in the US, phd in political science and an avowed Pan-Democrat.

He said that Xi Jinping is currently embarking on two mammoth endeavors: his anti-corruption campaign and efforts to privatize some of the bigger state-owned enterprises. These are supposed to set the tone for his regime; ensuring that they succeed is vital. That being the case, he might not want to spend the political capital required to get approval for a Tienanmen-style crackdown from the moderate, Hu Jintao clique that still holds some degree of influence. This professor thought there was a reasonable chance that Xi gives some moderate concession to the HK protesters so that he can concentrate on other domestic issues.

Anyway, it's just one guy's opinion, but it is nice to get a slightly more optimistic perspective on occasion.

Edit: and the Chinese nationals in the class give similar views as those above. One thought that the HKers seemed like "spoiled children", complaining even though they already have more rights than mainland Chinese.

But won't he be burning political capital with the conservatives by doing that? The reformers aren't the ones blocking anti-corruption and market liberalization, it's the same people who are blocking democratic reform. He can only do so many reforms at a time, why would he choose Honk Kong over the other things?

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

But won't he be burning political capital with the conservatives by doing that? The reformers aren't the ones blocking anti-corruption and market liberalization, it's the same people who are blocking democratic reform. He can only do so many reforms at a time, why would he choose Honk Kong over the other things?

Yeah, I wasn't clear. From his statements, it seems that Xi wants to take a hard line against HK. To do that, he would need to rally support among the conservatives in order to overcome the reformist opposition. Getting that support might mean compromising his other projects.

Of course, the internal workings of the CCP are extremely opaque and this might all be bunk.

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

Apologies if this has been posted earlier.

Accusations of foreign support for protests are not entirely without basis. However, I'm totally cool with that.

National Endowment for Democracy posted:

National Democratic Institute for International Affairs
$460,000
To foster awareness regarding Hong Kong's political institutions and constitutional reform process and to develop the capacity of citizens - particularly university students - to more effectively participate in the public debate on political reform, NDI will work with civil society organizations on parliamentary monitoring, a survey, and development of an Internet portal, allowing students and citizens to explore possible reforms leading to universal suffrage.

Grant descriptions are from the 2012 NED Annual Report.

Source: http://www.ned.org/publications/annual-reports/2012-annual-report/asia/china-hong-kong

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Geeze I want some of that money. I have been buying supplies out of my own pocket. THANKS OBAMA

Smiling Knight posted:

Overseas Chinese nationals dismissing Hong Kong is really infuriating :suicide: They should think of how little there is in China. People in Hong Kong are asking for the right to vote so that the city can be a free society. Just like the places where they emmigrate or studying.

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

Smiling Knight posted:

Of course, the internal workings of the CCP are extremely opaque and this might all be bunk.

Agree with the bunk risk - Anyone claiming to know what's really happening among the CCP cliques and power structure doesn't know. Not even Xi knows. That's the nature of the murkiness.

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
If you want infuriating how about this, uh, piece, which was just mysteriously posted on the Reddit live feed (e: now taken down)

quote:

10 Easy Steps to being a "Peaceful Protester":

Abuse the majority of people's kindness/tolerance and block all main roads trusting they won't run you over (but run like a girl when non-lethal force is used to move you).
Break any random metal barriers you see, it seems to be the method of get your point across.
Keep claiming that you're peaceful while assaulting the police officers; get pepper sprayed and man handled publicly because you're just that hard.
Cry and exaggerate about being abused for no apparent reason when you get the chance to be on TV, and remember to use 'in the name of Democracy' for extra sympathy (seems to work on western countries who don't have access to the real situation).
Find any way to gently caress up the efficiency and economy of HK.
Look in the mirror, realise you're Chinese, but live in denial and claim that Hong Kong was never in history originally part of China. (Sorry, nothing you can really change about your ethnic background)
Accuse everyone who has a different opinion to you as one of the following:
Selfish - Communist - Not knowing the 'full story' - Pro-China - Traitor
Update your Facebook status every 5 minutes so we can all know what's going on in that moment of your life, because clearly everyone in Hong Kong (8 million+) cares that much. (Pro tip: change your profile pic to a yellow ribbon because the Chinese government is totally counting how many of you do it before they considering listening to what you have to say!)
Provoke the Chinese government to take action on keeping the peace for the majority when there was no need for it.
Keep putting on a show for me to watch every night on the News, it's actually hilarious!

Oh, and I know people will agree or disagree with everything i've said, but frankly I don't want to listen to your delusional reasoning or excuses, and I don't care either because telling me your reasons are not going to change anything, you best keep that talk for when you're standing on the road again later. I just want to commute to and from work and enjoy this city before you all ruin it for the rest of us Think about not what this country can do for you, think about what you can do for it. Get back to work and in school and make this place even better, don't stand in the way of people currently trying to do that. Good luck and stay safe!
Peace to HK!

Zohar fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 1, 2014

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I'm on the way to the thing right now.

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

caberham posted:

Overseas Chinese nationals dismissing Hong Kong is really infuriating :suicide: They should think of how little there is in China. People in Hong Kong are asking for the right to vote so that the city can be a free society. Just like the places where they emmigrate or studying.

I agree. However, I can understand how mainlanders can harbour some resentment towards Hong Kong people based on the anti-Mainland sentiments that have come out of Hong Kong eg the Golden Forum's locust ads*, numerous videos of Hong Kong people lecturing mainlanders about eating noodles on the MTR, letting their kids pee in inappropriate places, generally having a pretty arrogant view towards the Mainland "noveau riche".

That sort of resentment can play a big factor in stopping someone seeing the bigger picture (even assuing that they agree with our Western political teology that democracy is Good).

* Which, IIRC, a group of Shanghai people then copied to complain about migrant workers soaking up Shanghai public resources.

Pyramid Scheme
May 21, 2007

quote:

Pro tip: change your profile pic to a yellow ribbon because the Chinese government is totally counting how many of you do it before they considering listening to what you have to say!

Hey, I'm a facebook cliche!

Hopefully I get bonus points because I've changed both my profile pic and my cover photo.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I think it should serve to contradict whoever it was that said I was racist that I am extremely proud of everyone involved in the protest right now. All I can ask for is that people have an interest in governing themselves and doing it responsibly.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Pyramid Scheme posted:

Agree with the bunk risk - Anyone claiming to know what's really happening among the CCP cliques and power structure doesn't know. Not even Xi knows. That's the nature of the murkiness.

Oh, he wasn't trying to claim that he knew was going on; just trying to remind us that Beijing is not a monolithic actor; there are some high up in the CCP, maybe even the Politburo, who oppose a crackdown, and Xi himself is a new leader who has his own grandiose projects to husband and fight for. In that situation, any decision is liable to be based on internal party politics as much as domestic or international affairs.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Here's a video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ7r8qi3NIY&t=222s

A better one without dumb techno music

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10205037669248521

I'm actually angry at how racists Hongers can be when it comes to darker skinned people and mainlanders. Anyways.

Pyramid Scheme posted:

Hey, I'm a facebook cliche!

Hopefully I get bonus points because I've changed both my profile pic and my cover photo.

I'm guilty as well, posted in reddit/facebook/SA

公民抗命,公民意識,公民責任。 Civil obedience, civic values, civic responsibility.

Yeah... :ohdear:

caberham fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Oct 1, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Zohar posted:

If you want infuriating how about this, uh, piece, which was just mysteriously posted on the Reddit live feed (e: now taken down)

ARGH MY BUS WAS DIVERTED DEATH TO DEMOCRACY

Also

ARGH MY AMBULANCE/FIRE THINGY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o9pXW3LFRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN288WEBVfU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Smiling Knight posted:

I disagree. Xi has set the tone of his foreign policy when he took that giant-rear end multi-billion dollar oil rig to Vietnam's front door and showed Vietnam who was the boss. In fact he didn't have to do this. There are area in the South China Sea China has much stronger claims. China could have started the deep sea exploration in "safer" regions but Xi decided to put it straight to Vietnam's face anyway. It was a strategic gesture. It was a gesture IMO similar to the way Chinese national congress defined the HK election procedure in narrower terms. The CCP and Xi didn't have to do it but they decided to send a gesture to the HK democrats anyway.

As for anti-corruption drive. We all know it was part power consolidation and part anti-corruption. And the drive is over. The biggest prize is Zhou Yongkang. Zhou was part of the standing committee member, you can't go any higher than that. Xi is not going to bring down his predecessor Hu and Wen for corruption charge anyway.

My impression is pushing for clearer defined rule of law is Xi's bigger concern, compare to privatization. Anyway Xi has consolidated power much much sooner than Hu and even faster than Jiang. I doubt he face much resistance in the HK issue within the party. And my hunch is it was his wish to take the confrontational approach, like the Vietnam maritime dispute.

I don't see how China need to do anything in HK other than follow what happened in Occupy Wall Street, you stalk it out in 2 months. It would be stupid for China/PLA to get blood on their own hands when HKPD can do most of the job. I thought the protest would take a turn for the worse if someone actually die. But then when I thought about it more, a lot of people did died during the anti-China Vietnamese protest/riots and nobody gave a poo poo. A woman even set herself on fire in protest, and nobody talked about it. The more I think about the street protest in the 21st century, I more I think middle class polite protests don't work. The polices are getting better equipment to deal with peaceful protests. The only protests that worked were bloody protests in Egypt, Libya and Euromaidan.