Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

What was Yukari hiding in her email server?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
A vote for Yukari is a vote for letting a literal fox into your henhouse.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

the wildest rear end posted:

Lots of people like Kagerou which is weird because she's pretty plain.

Animal ears guarantees popularity

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

mima

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

lick it or ticket
Apr 12, 2013

When you want to laugh cry as hard as you can, when you want to cry laugh all you can. When you see rain, just think of it as the world laughing with you, and laugh until you can't anymore.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Suenteus Po
Sep 15, 2007
SOH-Dan

Nages posted:

clownpiece

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Clownpiece is also good, yes.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

Nages posted:

Clownpiece is also good, yes.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Having heart attacks induced from severe diabetes is the American way, yes. Very patriotic.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

God bless hellmerica.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Turns out "Fantasy Seal" is a completely wrong translation.

everything we know is wrong

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Please do not tell me such things

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

hosed up. This is like what I felt when Fantasy Heaven turned out to actually be Fantasy Nature.

What's the correct translation?

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
I'm sorry to break this to you, but...

Fantasy Nature is wrong too.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Golden Battler posted:

I'm sorry to break this to you, but...

Fantasy Nature is wrong too.

Good, Fantasy Heaven was better anyway.

So I guess 'fantasy' has been translated incorrectly then? That's weird, it's in a bunch of spellcards. You'd think someone would have noticed.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The "Fantasy" in both is 夢想, not 幻想. Dream, vision, or reverie would be more appropriate, though I guess if you tilt your head and squint you can kind of go Dreams > Fantasies > Fantasy as in illusionary.

Hokuto came up with Natural Seer as a better translation for Fantasy Nature to emphasize that it's something that comes naturally instead of being related to nature. Doesn't sound very cool though.

Anyway Fantasy Seal is pretty much unchangeable at this point so it's all moot anyways. People have enough trouble trying to change Fantasy Heaven to Fantasy Nature as is. :v:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

So I guess 'fantasy' has been translated incorrectly then? That's weird, it's in a bunch of spellcards. You'd think someone would have noticed.
Once people have decided how to think about something, it's impossible to change their mind just by being "more correct". People continued to be dumb about Eiki's name for years after the experts, so to speak, knew what was up. Even now, you still see new instances of "Shikieiki" show up sometimes, like in the fan-translation of Touhou Labyrinth 2.

That's just one character's name, and a minor character at that - "Fantasy Seal" is one of the most entrenched bits of vocabulary in the whole series. Trying to change it now wouldn't do anything but create grief and misunderstanding.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

The "Fantasy" in both is 夢想, not 幻想. Dream, vision, or reverie would be more appropriate, though I guess if you tilt your head and squint you can kind of go Dreams > Fantasies > Fantasy as in illusionary.

Hokuto came up with Natural Seer as a better translation for Fantasy Nature to emphasize that it's something that comes naturally instead of being related to nature. Doesn't sound very cool though.

Anyway Fantasy Seal is pretty much unchangeable at this point so it's all moot anyways. People have enough trouble trying to change Fantasy Heaven to Fantasy Nature as is. :v:

Eh, Dream Seal and Fantasy Seal basically bring across the same meaning anyway. So it doesn't really seem like that much of a mistranslation anyway.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It would have been much more convenient if ZUN had named everyone's spell cards in English like Marisa's.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Eh, Dream Seal and Fantasy Seal basically bring across the same meaning anyway. So it doesn't really seem like that much of a mistranslation anyway.

It's really not, because whenever you see fantasy anywhere else in the Touhou setting it pretty much means "fantastical" as opposed to literal dreams.

It's also extra confusing in Fantasy Nature's case, because as it is now it sounds like it's saying that Reimu's base nature is that of fantasy. Whereas it's supposed to be saying that she's naturally gifted at dreams/reverie, since that's what the attack even is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh, when I first read your post I thought it was "dreams" as in the illusionary or not-real, and I thought fantasy could bring across a similar meaning. But if it's literal dreams then I suppose there's more of a difference.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Reimu owns, and fantasy seal is the strongest

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Namtab posted:

Reimu owns, and fantasy seal is the strongest

She has stronger spell cards.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

I don't understand any of what you just said and am just going to keep calling it Fantasy Seal.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

A Wise answer.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
reimu's signature attack, Rainbow Orbs

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Hivac posted:

reimu's signature attack, Rainbow Orbs
A better translation would be "Rainbow Jewels".

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
My favorite Touhou characters are the Aki sisters since they did nothing wrong and are nice to everyone

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

She has stronger spell cards.

Don't lie

Ryza
Mar 15, 2012

Disco Thunder

Hivac posted:

reimu's signature attack, Reimu's Balls

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Stop reading my doujinshi collection.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

amuayse posted:

My favorite Touhou characters are the Aki sisters since they did nothing wrong and are nice to everyone

Orange

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I believe Reimu killed her, yes

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

amuayse posted:

I believe Reimu killed her, yes

What if Reimu killed Mima too?!

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Ghosts can't die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Everyone forgets Mima just took up a new job as a bedsheet ghost. She's probably great at parties.