Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I'd go with the Xonar U3 too. The only issue with is high output impedance, but it's been fine for me even on low impedance cans.

Only other issue is you'd have to get a ModMic or Zalman clip-on mic also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I already have a zalman so no issue there. It'd be nice to have a hardware mute button on the headset itself but I can live without it. I went ahead and ordered the Xonar, thanks!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I just got a pair of Shure 215s with the Bluetooth cable. They sound indistinguishable from the cabled version so pretty awesome

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

shrike82 posted:

I just got a pair of Shure 215s with the Bluetooth cable. They sound indistinguishable from the cabled version so pretty awesome

Which Bluetooth cable?

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2017/9/18/16328912/shure-se215-se112-bluetooth-earbuds-announced

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I need a earphone recommendation. I lost my favorite Shure SE425 and want to replace them with top of the line IEMs. I was considering replacing them with the Shure SE846 because I've been happy with the ShureIEMs but I see a lot of people recommending other ones over the SE846.

I have been looking at Shure SE846 or KSE1500, Audeze LCDi4 or iSINE20, Campfire Andromeda or Dorado or Vega, UE Pro Remastered or 18+ Pro, Etymotic ER4SR or ER4SR. Any thoughts on these choices or other top of the line IEMs. I use them commuting so noise isolation is important. I like the Shure sound even though its not the most neutral but all else being equal I prefer the sound to be neutral and accurate.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
[quote="“Yuns”" post="“476680380”"]
I need a earphone recommendation. I lost my favorite Shure SE425 and want to replace them with top of the line IEMs. I was considering replacing them with the Shure SE846 because I’ve been happy with the ShureIEMs but I see a lot of people recommending other ones over the SE846.

I have been looking at Shure SE846 or KSE1500, Audeze LCDi4 or iSINE20, Campfire Andromeda or Dorado or Vega, UE Pro Remastered or 18+ Pro, Etymotic ER4SR or ER4SR. Any thoughts on these choices or other top of the line IEMs. I use them commuting so noise isolation is important. I like the Shure sound even though its not the most neutral but all else being equal I prefer the sound to be neutral and accurate.
[/quote]

Do you like the over ear, monitor style fit of the Shures? If so I'd avoid the Etymotics, as they're bad for microphonics, which will be a thing when commuting.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The funny thing is that I always just put in my Shures without looping the cable over my ears for years until very recently when I started using them the right way. I won't be using the earphones for exercising so a little microphonics is ok but there will be movement as I ride the train.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Yuns posted:

I need a earphone recommendation. I lost my favorite Shure SE425 and want to replace them with top of the line IEMs. I was considering replacing them with the Shure SE846 because I've been happy with the ShureIEMs but I see a lot of people recommending other ones over the SE846.

The iSine20 is open backed and therefore have no isolation.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

ohhh nifty. I wonder if you can buy just the cable because that would be great.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

ohhh nifty. I wonder if you can buy just the cable because that would be great.
RTFA

quote:

Shure is actually selling this “Bluetooth Communication Cable” separately for $99, which will let existing customers go wireless with their earphones.

Shure’s $99 Bluetooth Connection Cable features built-in music controls.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 25, 2017

25 lighters
Mar 14, 2010
I've been doing research trying to find a new gaming headset for ps4. The ps4 thread says the ps4 headsets is suitable but I'd like to see if people recommend anything else that's better? Budget is 100-200 dollars, mic obviously, not a professional gamer, but I am a big, fat, sweaty, spurglord. I prefer wired day unless everyone does wiresless these days, I don't care. Ok thanks.

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Yuns posted:

If the SE425 worked well for you on comfort / isolation, the 846 will as well. I use them every day and they're great commuter headphones.

You will probably want to swap in the white filters if you like the 425 sound signature, as the 846 are a bit more bassy with their default filters.

Avoid stuff like the LCDi4 / iSINE20. The open-back design means they are terrible at isolating noise. Might as well get a conventional open-back planar for home use if you want that sort of thing.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Apparently the frequency response of the KZ ZS6 is completely hosed

http://frequency-response.blogspot.ca/2017/09/kz-zs6-frequency-response.html

So... skipping that one, yeah.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

grack posted:

Apparently the frequency response of the KZ ZS6 is completely hosed

http://frequency-response.blogspot.ca/2017/09/kz-zs6-frequency-response.html

So... skipping that one, yeah.
Huh. So the ZS5 is still the one to get? I was holding off on ordering either of them until I saw some comparisons.

Edit: I did buy OneMore E1001s in Akihabara. They're pretty good...but I keep coming back to the ZSTs.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 26, 2017

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Which KZs should I buy to replace my Klipsch S4 I was using at work?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Huh. So the ZS5 is still the one to get? I was holding off on ordering either of them until I saw some comparisons.

There are apparently two versions floating around of the ZS5. The second version apparently puts both BAs inside the nozzle and is quite harsh, while the first version only put one of the BAs in the nozzle. If a seller can guarantee you a V1 and they fit your ears, they're the ones to go for.

Lowness 72 posted:

Which KZs should I buy to replace my Klipsch S4 I was using at work?

I don't know if any of the better KZs would actually have similar tuning to the S4. The ZST are a good start, but they'll have less bass and treble. They are cheap, though, and sound pretty good.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

I did and it made no sense to me that they would sell the cable for $99 and the 112+the cable for $100

To be fair though they did state that quite clearly a couple of times, I guess my brain just didn't process...

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 27, 2017

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Clearly the 112s are so terrible that they are only worth $1.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
The se112 cable isn't detachable. I bought the bluetooth se215s on a whim last week before reading this thread. They are OK, but I think I can still tell its bluetooth.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I got KZ ZS5s delivered (they're cheap anyway so I figured I'd try them all) but I think the left one is defective. There's a low buzz there accompanying some sounds, whether I use the stock cables or bluetooth cables. Leaving that aside though, I don't yet hear the advantage they have over ZSTs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This is probably a stupid question but how is "Westone" pronounced? Like "stone" or like "one"?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
In audio I would assume "tone" is the word they're going for there.

I bought that Xonar USB sound card from upthread, it has horrible white noise when plugged into the USB ports on my monitor. Any suggestions? Googling doesn't bring up much.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
A ground loop isolator will get rid of the noise, but you will take a slight volume hit.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I got KZ ZS5s delivered (they're cheap anyway so I figured I'd try them all) but I think the left one is defective. There's a low buzz there accompanying some sounds, whether I use the stock cables or bluetooth cables. Leaving that aside though, I don't yet hear the advantage they have over ZSTs.

Can't say how they compare to the ZST's but compared to the ATE's they are much better. Will need to spend more time with them to see how they stack up to the likes of my CM1's but for work headphones they are very good.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

prom candy posted:

I bought that Xonar USB sound card from upthread, it has horrible white noise when plugged into the USB ports on my monitor. Any suggestions? Googling doesn't bring up much.

If it's an option, try another USB port elsewhere. I'm not sure but I think it also came with a USB extender cable that can help if you're plugging it in to a port that's not the most convenient.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I want to use the USB ports on my monitor because then it's easy to switch back and forth between my PC and my Macbook. I ended up digging up my FastTrack Pro and plugging that in instead, seems to work. Also means I can use a way-to-good mic for gaming and conference calls.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
What are the recomended headphones for gaming and general use now? I'm still using my old ad700's.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

This seems like a good deal right?

quote:

Focus Camera via Newegg has Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium LE Headphones (black) + $10 Newegg Gift Card (automatically added to cart) for $199.99 - $70.99 w/ promo code AFEMSBRRF6 = $129. Shipping is free. Thanks sr71

Includes
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Limited Edition Headphone (Black)
$10 Newegg Gift Card (Email Delivery)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Heck yes. It's hard to find a used pair for that price, let alone new.

i don't need another pair of headphones. oh god i'm buying another pair of headphones.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Ordered a Pixel 2 XL and it's tempting me to invest in some wireless earphones. Should I just wait for Bluetooth 5.0 earphones to come out or are there some good Bluetooth 4.x ones with great quality and reception out already that should suffice? I prefer something sporty and durable that can be used while exercising.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Mr. Funktastic posted:

Ordered a Pixel 2 XL and it's tempting me to invest in some wireless earphones. Should I just wait for Bluetooth 5.0 earphones to come out or are there some good Bluetooth 4.x ones with great quality and reception out already that should suffice? I prefer something sporty and durable that can be used while exercising.

Just grab some cheap ankers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6DC2ZE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
[quote="“underage at the vape shop”" post="“477071001”"]
What are the recomended headphones for gaming and general use now? I’m still using my old ad700’s.
[/quote]

I switched from my A700s to my ATH-M50X for gaming this week. Lost some soundstage but I can actually hear footsteps in PUBG without cranking the master volume way up.

I think the HD598s are still a mainstay for gaming as well.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
[quote="“Mr. Funktastic”" post="“477103801”"]
Ordered a Pixel 2 XL and it’s tempting me to invest in some wireless earphones. Should I just wait for Bluetooth 5.0 earphones to come out or are there some good Bluetooth 4.x ones with great quality and reception out already that should suffice? I prefer something sporty and durable that can be used while exercising.
[/quote]

I highly recommend Plantronics backbeat fit for this.

8 hour battery, great Bluetooth reliability, sweat proof and comfortable, designed to let in some sound so you don't get run over while running. Also great on-ear controls.

They are not audiophile level, or great for isolation while in an office, but they're ultra convenient.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

wooger posted:

I highly recommend Plantronics backbeat fit for this.

8 hour battery, great Bluetooth reliability, sweat proof and comfortable, designed to let in some sound so you don't get run over while running. Also great on-ear controls.

They are not audiophile level, or great for isolation while in an office, but they're ultra convenient.
Seconding this. They somehow let in outside sound and also mostly block sound leakage.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

This seems like a good deal right?

Focus Camera via Newegg has Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium LE Headphones (black) + $10 Newegg Gift Card (automatically added to cart) for $199.99 - $70.99 w/ promo code AFEMSBRRF6 = $129. Shipping is free. Thanks sr71

Includes
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Limited Edition Headphone (Black)
$10 Newegg Gift Card (Email Delivery)

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Heck yes. It's hard to find a used pair for that price, let alone new.

i don't need another pair of headphones. oh god i'm buying another pair of headphones.

poo poo! Me too. Deal doesn't need the code any more. $120 250ohm DT880s - yes please I've been wanting these for a while now. No tax either hell yeah

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I was gonna do it but the drat tax kinda kills it for me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm listening to my new KZ ZS6s now. My ZS5s were defective (one of them anyway) and already returned so I can't compare them directly, but so far I'm still not hearing what's better than my ZSTs, which are definitely my favorite earphones so far. I suppose I'll discover something eventually.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

prom candy posted:

I switched from my A700s to my ATH-M50X for gaming this week. Lost some soundstage but I can actually hear footsteps in PUBG without cranking the master volume way up.

I think the HD598s are still a mainstay for gaming as well.

I strongly dislike the m50 unfortunately, my ears dont fit and they clamp hard. The biggest thing I love about the ad700 is the comfort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Does anybody have a picture of where the serial number is located on a ATH-M50x box? The most I can find is "number under barcode" but there are a few.
My headphones got stolen and the police need the serial. :saddowns: