Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine
What is Phoebe chillax like? I'm scared it's going to be too easy, so far I've been playing on Cassandra Rough and while it's successful sometimes, I get my rear end kicked the rest of the time.

Wondering if it's worth doing Phoebe Basebuilder/Rough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CrusherEAGLE posted:

What is Phoebe chillax like? I'm scared it's going to be too easy, so far I've been playing on Cassandra Rough and while it's successful sometimes, I get my rear end kicked the rest of the time.

Wondering if it's worth doing Phoebe Basebuilder/Rough

Phoebe and Cassandra are basically identical, Phoebe just only raids you half as much.

I honestly find that it makes the game harder since the raids still escalate based on colony wealth, but you have half the opportunity to recruit more fighters

e: Unrelated, but Prepare Carefully has been updated for A15 for anyone that has been waiting

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine

Azhais posted:

Phoebe and Cassandra are basically identical, Phoebe just only raids you half as much.

I honestly find that it makes the game harder since the raids still escalate based on colony wealth, but you have half the opportunity to recruit more fighters

Do you recommend randy then?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

CrusherEAGLE posted:

Do you recommend randy then?

I always recommend Randy. Cassandra and Phoebe are hardcoded to do their damndest to kill you with endless raids. Randy is purely random. He'll still kill you, sure, but at least it doesn't feel like he's doing it out of malice like Cassandra.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine

Azhais posted:

I always recommend Randy. Cassandra and Phoebe are hardcoded to do their damndest to kill you with endless raids. Randy is purely random. He'll still kill you, sure, but at least it doesn't feel like he's doing it out of malice like Cassandra.

Sorry to keep bugging you, but what difficulty is ideal for randy? Rough?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
^^^ I always play Randy Extreme. I think the only thing the difficulty affects at that point is the size of the raids when they come up, not frequency or anything, so just tune it based on how many tribals you want to be trying to murder you at any one time.

Just keep in mind that Randy can (and will) send two (or more) raids at you at once

Azhais posted:

So, this was a bust. Apparently disabling incidents doesn't remove them from the pool, it just prevents them from triggering. With only manhunter packs enabled, I went nearly 3 weeks without a single incident on randy random extreme.

I'm tempted to bug report this

Zigmidge posted:

Don't be tempted. You really should. That's a fantastic idea for custom scenarios.

I posted on the Ludeon bug forums and they opened a ticket for the issue, so I guess at least someone thought it looked like a bug vs working as intended. Hopefully my dreams of animal swarms will become reality.

I could do it now with the "create incident" scenario setting I suppose, but it just wouldn't be the same

Azhais fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 31, 2016

nmgoh2
Feb 1, 2009

Babe Magnet posted:

RIP Andy. also this game has good music

question: I see in people's videos and screenshots of weapons just laying around and I was wondering, is there any reason not to have all my dudes armed at all times? Like is there some kind of work or happiness penalty to being strapped when you're just trying to make some lovely meals?

There's no penalty for being armed or not, but personally my colony is all check-your-guns-at-the-door. When times get tough, and you get a good mental break cascade rolling, you don't want colonists working through their issues with a minigun. If everyone's got weapons, someone's going to lose a leg or three.

If they're all unarmed, all disputes are resolved with nice soft, easy to heal fists. Nobody dies, nobody loses a leg.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I don't think I've ever had a berserk person do anything but punch, even if they were carrying weapons. The only exception to that is if you have them installed with power claws or something.

I keep everyone armed for those times when mechanoids land in your kitchen and you need to rally everyone quickly

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

You win this round, potatoes.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Man Musk posted:

It would be really rad to have cheetah men (and women) populate your village alongside regular anthropoids. It's totally canon within space as there are cheetah men (and women) space pilots

it's also Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia canon

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Azhais posted:

^^^ I always play Randy Extreme. I think the only thing the difficulty affects at that point is the size of the raids when they come up, not frequency or anything, so just tune it based on how many tribals you want to be trying to murder you at any one time.

Just keep in mind that Randy can (and will) send two (or more) raids at you at once

Definitely not. I upgraded from Rough to Challenge and Randy sent me two sieges in the first two seasons. Next colony he sent me a siege right out the gate. I went back to Rough and that stopped happening. Difficulty affects challenge scaling, for sure.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
Ok, I think I got somewhere where the potatoes won't follow.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have no idea what those screenshots are all about...

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

tuyop posted:

I have no idea what those screenshots are all about...

They showcase more and more horrible things happening to my colony as I fret over the sheer volume of potatoes I have, with my base becoming more and more degraded with each post. The latest one is me 'escaping' the potatoes by colonizing a desert.

edit: Ergo, I am trying to be funny.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I haven't played very much but do Panthers seem a little too threatening to anyone else? A hungry panther is pretty much guaranteed to murder which ever poor sap they get their claws on and a downed Panther can take multiple point blank bursts from an assault rifle.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Xand_Man posted:

I haven't played very much but do Panthers seem a little too threatening to anyone else? A hungry panther is pretty much guaranteed to murder which ever poor sap they get their claws on and a downed Panther can take multiple point blank bursts from an assault rifle.

i think a lot of the threats are perhaps too powerful for purposes of realism and fun... but i have got the embrasure mod, and they have not.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Animals hunting your colonists is simply annoying. I get how it works but it's tedious micromanagement to have to follow your hunters around and make sure they don't stray toward any predators with low food bars, especially when you can't really control where they go on the map to stay within a safe distance of your colony. It's also retarded that failing to keep up with this essentially guarantees the seemingly random loss of a colonist, as you're only alerted when it's far too late to save them. I often simply send out expeditions to exterminate any and all predators around the map.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Squeegy posted:

Animals hunting your colonists is simply annoying. I get how it works but it's tedious micromanagement to have to follow your hunters around and make sure they don't stray toward any predators with low food bars, especially when you can't really control where they go on the map to stay within a safe distance of your colony. It's also retarded that failing to keep up with this essentially guarantees the seemingly random loss of a colonist, as you're only alerted when it's far too late to save them. I often simply send out expeditions to exterminate any and all predators around the map.

I'd love it if turrets could be set with kill lists, default including predators.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Squeegy posted:

Use the CCL mod when it updates, you can enable a minimap that will make it easier to spot this happening/get a quick overview of all the wildlife/people on the map. Speaking of which, a minimap would be really nice to have in the default game.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

oh my god the weed storehouse took a direct hit from a mortar shell

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Use the CCL mod when it updates, you can enable a minimap that will make it easier to spot this happening/get a quick overview of all the wildlife/people on the map. Speaking of which, a minimap would be really nice to have in the default game.

Yeah except it's still tedious micromanagement even with a minimap.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
Anything higher than Basebuilder difficulty is masochism and even that's cutting it close.

Also I just build a 15x15 (19x19 with double walls) freezer and that's hard to fill up. I copy the settings and create a smaller low priority one along the far side of it to make sure the important guys have quick and closer access to the ingredients.

A parka for the cook prevents hypothermia and them giving everyone food poisoning from creating lovely meals, too.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 1, 2016

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

just got my first toxic fallout and...

how the gently caress am I supposed to deal with this? if I'm going to be forced to build one big super-connected base instead of several little zones connected with pathways (my preferred way to do things in games like this) then man, that's gonna' upset me a lot

RIP my tamed turkeys

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
You can build a wall along the path and then add a roof zone along that wall.
You'll end up with walls kinda everywhere but it works without enclosing everything.
Also toxic fallout isn't insta death, it takes a while to build up.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Colonists can be outside for about half the day and it'll be ok. Check everyone every so often and make sure anyone whose buildup is more than Trivial has an indoor day. You don't want to push past minor - you can get permanent health damage from major toxic buildup, even if you go inside before it kills you.

If you have the power for it, consider trying to make a sunlamp powered indoor garden so that you can keep food production up. If you don't have the power for it, might be time to expand that.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Crimson Harvest posted:

I'd love it if turrets could be set with kill lists, default including predators.

They used to shoot predators but Tynan decided that it was "too easy to hunt" by allowing turrets to defend your colonists from predators :iiam:

I really have no idea what his problem is since they'll happily attack things that are enraged about getting shot. Why "defend my drat dog" is unbalanced I don't know

Devdisigdu
Mar 23, 2016

The shadows lengthen
In Carcosa.

Azhais posted:

They used to shoot predators but Tynan decided that it was "too easy to hunt" by allowing turrets to defend your colonists from predators :iiam:

I really have no idea what his problem is since they'll happily attack things that are enraged about getting shot. Why "defend my drat dog" is unbalanced I don't know

Turrets also used to have the ability to manually attack a target, which I imagine he removed for the same reason. Just another part of Tynan's dislike of over-reliance on static defences.

Which is too bad, since that has been how I've always played since Alpha 4/5 or so when I first bought the game.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Started playing the Medieval mod last night while I wait for the rest of the modders to update, and I have to say it's an interesting break in the pace. It does seem like a lot of the medieval items are a lot less labor intensive as far as work required to create them, like Recurve Bows; but it's kind of nice not having my crafter dedicating days to making one item. I don't know if it's A15, the mod, or maybe just Randy being Randy but I've got like 8 pawns now, two running from pursuers and two spontaneous joins, so food's getting tight and winter is coming; ought to be an interesting cold season. I just about finished upgrading to stone walls for my dining/cooking areas, so hopefully we'll be sleeping in relative comfort before it gets too cold.

One question for those that have played Medieval before, do pitchforks, sickles, forester's axes, etc. have any effect on their respective jobs, or are they purely melee weapons? It'd be really cool being able to give my farmers sickles and have them harvest faster.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 1, 2016

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Devdisigdu posted:

Turrets also used to have the ability to manually attack a target, which I imagine he removed for the same reason. Just another part of Tynan's dislike of over-reliance on static defences.

This mindset would make more sense if it was at all possible to survive without static defences for a decent amount of time

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

NatasDog posted:

Started playing the Medieval mod last night while I wait for the rest of the modders to update, and I have to say it's an interesting break in the pace. It does seem like a lot of the medieval items are a lot less labor intensive as far as work required to create them, like Recurve Bows; but it's kind of nice not having my crafter dedicating days to making one item. I don't know if it's A15, the mod, or maybe just Randy being Randy but I've got like 8 pawns now, two running from pursuers and two spontaneous joins, so food's getting tight and winter is coming; ought to be an interesting cold season. I just about finished upgrading to stone walls for my dining/cooking areas, so hopefully we'll be sleeping in relative comfort before it gets too cold.

One question for those that have played Medieval before, do pitchforks, sickles, forester's axes, etc. have any effect on their respective jobs, or are they purely melee weapons? It'd be really cool being able to give my farmers sickles and have them harvest faster.

they do- click their information button to see what stats they give. off-hand, i recall sickles give -20% harvest failure

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Drink Cheerwine posted:

they do- click their information button to see what stats they give. off-hand, i recall sickles give -20% harvest failure

Odd, I clicked the info button on the sickle when I set the job for it but didn't see anything like that, just the melee damage and stats. I'll check again when I get home from work today.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Anyone else build on a grid system? I use a basic rule of 7x7 rooms, with three block wide hallways. Workshops are often 7x13 (or 2x1 basic room units), storehouses 13x13 (2x2) or, at maximum, 19x13 (3x2). The benefit of this is that, as the game goes on, I can consolidate bedrooms in order to make larger ones.

The reasoning behind this is, in addition to having a nice aesthetically pleasing base, to transition from small rooms in the early game to larger ones as the game goes on, in order to earn mood perks. For example, each of the large bedrooms pictured below began as 7x7 rooms. As more colonists partnered up, I was able to knock down walls and expand the rooms into larger and more impressive ones. Other rooms began large: a 15x13 room will be big enough for any size perk - it will reach Very Impressive without having to go overboard on wealth or beauty. It is pretty easy to get at least the 15x13 dining and recreation rooms to Impressive by mid-game and, now that you can mine the gently caress out of gold and plasteel through deep mining, it isn't such a problem getting even bedrooms (at 13x10, or 2x1.5) to Very Impressive at late game.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 1, 2016

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Mein Eyes! posted:

Anyone else build on a grid system? I use a basic rule of 7x7 rooms, with three block wide hallways. Workshops are often 7x13 (or 2x1 basic room units), storehouses 13x13 (2x2) or, at maximum, 19x13 (3x2). The benefit of this is that, as the game goes on, I can consolidate bedrooms in order to make larger ones.

The reasoning behind this is, in addition to having a nice aesthetically pleasing base, to transition from small rooms in the early game to larger ones as the game goes on, in order to earn mood perks. For example, each of the large bedrooms pictured below began as 7x7 rooms. As more colonists partnered up, I was able to knock down walls and expand the rooms into larger and more impressive ones. Other rooms began large: a 15x13 room will be big enough for any size perk - it will reach Very Impressive without having to go overboard on wealth or beauty. It is pretty easy to get at least the 15x13 dining and recreation rooms to Impressive by mid-game and, now that you can mine the gently caress out of gold and plasteel through deep mining, it isn't such a problem getting even bedrooms (at 13x10, or 2x1.5) to Very Impressive at late game.

I do something similar, but with 5x5 rooms doubling up to 11x5 or 11x11 for larger common/crafting areas. I do the same with bedrooms though, knocking out the central wall when people partner up to avoid the cramped penalty. I try to keep these 'blocks' 5 deep as well.

One thing I do differently though is I have a double, sometimes triple wide central column that I put my crafting, dining, and Joy areas; with bedrooms flanking either side separated by a 3 wide hallway. This way no one has a very long walk to meet their work/joy/sleep needs before/after sleeping. The cooking/food storage area is always as close to the farms as possible, like you're doing, with the common room next to it, since colonists usually bounce between the two during joy time.

Here's an ASCII example since I'm not at home and my old saves are screwed anyway on A15. The Xs would be 5x5 or bigger crafting/common rooms, the Bs are 5x5 or 5x11 bedrooms, and the .s are a 3 tile wide hallways.
code:
BB.XXXX.BB
BB.XXXX.BB
BB.XXXX.BB
BB.XXXX.BB
BB.XXXX.BB
BB.XXXX.BB
BB.XXXX.BB
BB.XXXX.BB
BB.XXXX.BB
BB.XXXX.BB
E; I'm thinking of going 4 5x5 blocks wide for the central crafting area on my current run, because you eventually reach a point where some crafting rooms need to be expanded if you want to keep the raw materials as close as possible, and itd be nice to either make them bigger or put a shared storage room in there somewhere.

NatasDog fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 1, 2016

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Mein Eyes! posted:

Your base makes me envious and wonder what I'm doing wrong, since I've never come close to being able to develop my base that much due to factors like FIRE and so on.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Mein Eyes! posted:

Speaking of partnering up... Does the divorce rate in this game seem a bit high to anyone else? I've never had a marriage last more than 2 seasons, and then I'm stuck with someone with a -25 mood for pretty much ever. It seems relatively common to get divorced before the honeymoon period mood buff ends.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

NatasDog posted:

Odd, I clicked the info button on the sickle when I set the job for it but didn't see anything like that, just the melee damage and stats. I'll check again when I get home from work today.

that's a bug, i believe. look at the info on an actually existing item

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Your base makes me envious and wonder what I'm doing wrong, since I've never come close to being able to develop my base that much due to factors like FIRE and so on.

I've been playing this game on and off since 2013, so you're seeing a lot of lessons learned the hard way.

There's really nothing to prevent having your base catch fire now and then, especially with sappers throwing incendiary grenades. My best advice is to take stonecutting very seriously in the early to mid-game, once you have your food established, and begin as soon as possible to replace outside-facing walls with stone. Especially in the winters, when your colonists can't grow, you should have them cutting bricks. You can probably tell in the picture I posted when I was able to transition from wood to stone, but the outside edge was stone as early as I could get it. Most fires start from the outside-in and having those walls take longer to burn and spread will help mitigate the problem.

Another tip, though you might already be using this, is to use manual priorities and set everyone who can do firefighting to have it as a top-level (1) priority. If a fire starts, quickly highlight all of your colonists and enlist them, then immediately un-enlist them, forcing them to reset their AI's task-finding. This is especially useful when the fires start at night: colonists will gladly sleep while their base catches fire, so you have to wake them up using the enlist/un-enlist trick.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Mein Eyes! posted:

I've been playing this game on and off since 2013, so you're seeing a lot of lessons learned the hard way.

There's really nothing to prevent having your base catch fire now and then, especially with sappers throwing incendiary grenades. My best advice is to take stonecutting very seriously in the early to mid-game, once you have your food established, and begin as soon as possible to replace outside-facing walls with stone. Especially in the winters, when your colonists can't grow, you should have them cutting bricks. You can probably tell in the picture I posted when I was able to transition from wood to stone, but the outside edge was stone as early as I could get it. Most fires start from the outside-in and having those walls take longer to burn and spread will help mitigate the problem.

Another tip, though you might already be using this, is to use manual priorities and set everyone who can do firefighting to have it as a top-level (1) priority. If a fire starts, quickly highlight all of your colonists and enlist them, then immediately un-enlist them, forcing them to reset their AI's task-finding. This is especially useful when the fires start at night: colonists will gladly sleep while their base catches fire, so you have to wake them up using the enlist/un-enlist trick.

Yeah, I do that (I was using fire more as a catch-all for things going to hell) but I usually end up in 'unfortunate' situations like infestations spawning in bedrooms while a psychic ship crash lands on the other end of the map. Maybe the problem is that I tend to play it more like dwarf fortress and focus more on building homes inside the mountain than outside? Since mining out rooms, then walling them does take quite a bit of time.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Mein Eyes! posted:

This is hella impressive. Does anyone else have any amazing bases to show off? I'd like inspiration, especially for non-mega complexes. I wanted to build little houses for people at some point, but it seems to be unfeasible with temperature controls and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Yeah, I do that (I was using fire more as a catch-all for things going to hell) but I usually end up in 'unfortunate' situations like infestations spawning in bedrooms while a psychic ship crash lands on the other end of the map. Maybe the problem is that I tend to play it more like dwarf fortress and focus more on building homes inside the mountain than outside? Since mining out rooms, then walling them does take quite a bit of time.

This was a pretty easy scenario with infestations turned off (I wanted to get to late game and see all the new drug stuff in the latest release), so that wasn't a problem here. There's really nothing you can do about infestations if they spawn in your base, which is inevitable given that as a base grows it's likely you'll have to dig through a hill or two to make room. By mid to late game, you should have a gang of colonists with charge rifles that can take bugs head on right away, or bait them in ones and twos. Before that, you could try walling off the infestation and using coolers to freeze them to -50, which will kill the bases first and then slowly kill the bugs. The real danger to the structure of your base comes from sappers, though at least these will usually take the same route and can be anticipated, redirected, or mined against.

I've never liked building inside of mountains for that same reason, it just takes too long to grow the base. It is theoretically easier to make killboxes by limiting the entire traffic in and out of the base to one entrance, however even a mountain base won't help with infestations, sappers, or mechanoid drops in the late game. I tend to instead build between two hills, forcing most attacks to come from one of two sides. You can see the double-sided killbox on the left side of my base, which tends to attract most attacks. During manhunter packs, I'll leave a colonist in that killbox or have him walk around the base to bait animals into it. The biggest threat here is from tribal attacks, however usually by mid-game I've been able to release enough prisoners (always release tribal prisoners!) to get Good Will, or I've bought it through gifts at the Coms Link, so I'm no longer raided by tribals in the late game.

On a related note, be careful about visitors hanging around in your killbox. One mad animal and one stray bullet can turn a reliable trading partner into a hostile faction. If you can, get all of your turrets onto a power switch so that you can turn them off when friendlies are milling around in the death zone.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 1, 2016