Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I used to be afraid that fascists would try to subtly infiltrate everyday society. Now I realize they're far to stupid for something that complicated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I just noticed the Pioneer Woman statue at TWU is mighty Mussolini-like:

by Leo Friedlander, 1938.

Anyways, the tiny tech scene in Denton is throwing a fit because the city yanked its contract with the Dallas Entrepreneur Center, which manages a local incubator called Stoke. Now the city is managing it. The reason:

quote:

The City Council didn’t learn until much later that the budget they approved for Stoke got changed by former city employees, who have not been publicly named. Money that was supposed to go to personnel ended up paying for building costs. And other building costs got slipped into later budgets.

http://www.dentonrc.com/news/denton/2017/08/22/denton-makes-tough-budget-calls
Some former city employees now work for Stoke, btw. Revolving door. Personally I'm glad they yanked it because these tech people will eat your city if you let them.

quote:

To date, the City of Denton has spent $840,521 on this wager. If we include the rents and memberships the City has foregone, that figure is $934,798. Put another way, that amount represents .01 of each $100 of valuation.

What is the City to do going forward? Continue putting money into this project until we reach the $2,000,000 mark? At $250,000 per year, that’s only 4 years away. It’s not unheard of to provide that level of economic incentives to companies in Denton, but usually that dollar amount comes with a private investment in the millions of dollars. Not in the zeros of dollars. Historically, a $1,000,000 incentive agreement has been reserved for the Peterbilt and WinCo of the world in exchange for a huge outlay of capital and infrastructure into our City and enhancement of our tax base.

http://www.sarabagheri.com/stoke-1000000-wager/?_ga=2.234923016.864645050.1503535308-894134616.1503535308

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 24, 2017

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So, uh, about Harvey. How hosed are we, and Austin in particular? I'm not seeing much on the weather services, but am getting a distinct :tif: vibe and it's worrying me.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

A lovely Reporter posted:

So, uh, about Harvey. How hosed are we, and Austin in particular? I'm not seeing much on the weather services, but am getting a distinct :tif: vibe and it's worrying me.

This is an image of the flood plain. Do you live in the purple area? If so, you're hosed. You're moderately hosed in the red area, and okay in the green (or anywhere else).

Here's where you can look up more data: https://www.atxfloods.com/FP_mods/Map.html

EDIT: Here's where you're hosed if you're downtown...

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Aug 24, 2017

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Thanks. Looks like the whole area around me is going to be fine. Apparently Barton Creek isn't getting much of the downpour.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Austin is gonna get at most like 4-6 inches, you'll be fine

Wash po has the expected rainfall charts https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.87f0a7f2c16e

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

A lovely Reporter posted:

Thanks. Looks like the whole area around me is going to be fine. Apparently Barton Creek isn't getting much of the downpour.

Well, these are the floodplains, this doesn't have anything to do with what may or may not get major rain this weekend.

Barton Creek isn't in a floodplain because the area has been engineered to not let the waters get that high even in flood conditions. Kind of like how Waller Creek isn't a floodplain anymore because they put that big spillage tunnel in a few years ago. I still remember big flooding that happened in the early '00s. Symphony Square along Waller Creek got flooded over their stage and up to the second row of the amphitheater. (To about the level of the red arrow in this image.)

Even in a worst case, the-water-is-up-to-Stevie-Ray-Vaughn's-waist level of flooding (like in 2013), the areas that aren't floodplains will be just fine. A lot of work has gone into keeping Austin from flooding in a truly damaging way. Really, the people outside of town are the ones who are in the most trouble. I lived about a mile from downtown during this flood and had no damage or even inconvenience. However, a friend who lives just south of town was stuck in her home for a couple of days because the water was too high to get in or out of the only road to her place.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Valley goon checking in, rain just started we're expecting about half a foot to just about a foot of rain till about Monday. Hopefully the wind doesn't get too crazy for us. People in Corpus or in-between Houston are going to get it the worst.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Corpus gonna become Corpse. :(

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Lote posted:

Corpus gonna become Corpse. :(

Good, it's a polluted shithole.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

IT BURNS posted:

Good, it's a polluted shithole.

Didn't the whole city have to stop using their own tap water for a month or so because of a chemical spill?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I remember when Rita happened they were telling us to sandbag and poo poo and we got like, an inch. Windy as hell though.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

Didn't the whole city have to stop using their own tap water for a month or so because of a chemical spill?

Yeah they elected some pseudo Trump mayor and his third day in office they had backflow of cement emulsifier from a plant into the water supply and the new mayor quit soon after.

It wasn't just a water boil order. You couldn't use the tap water for anything at all. Whole city not showering.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

The Stevie ray vaughn flood was like 10 inches so it shouldn't get that bad

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

PostNouveau posted:

Yeah they elected some pseudo Trump mayor and his third day in office they had backflow of cement emulsifier from a plant into the water supply and the new mayor quit soon after.

It wasn't just a water boil order. You couldn't use the tap water for anything at all. Whole city not showering.

Turns out elections have consequences.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

To be fair to trump mayor, the only reason he won is because the same thing happened a bunch of times under his predecessor

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Also can anyone explain the state house ruling to me? It seems weird for judges to draw a set of maps, the Lege adopt them, then the judges come back and say actually the maps we drew are discriminatory.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

PostNouveau posted:

So the usual then

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
Yeah, all the cities have actual drainage now. When I was a little kid in the 90's , 14 inches of rain would just flood every street, people would drown, and there would be dozens of stalled out cars all over the place.

It's still the worst the hurricane in a decade , so this weekend is going to suck.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm getting reports of 2-5 FEET of rain expected over the Weekend for the coastal/Houston/Austin area. :stare:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ghetto Prince posted:

Yeah, all the cities have actual drainage now. When I was a little kid in the 90's , 14 inches of rain would just flood every street, people would drown, and there would be dozens of stalled out cars all over the place.

It's still the worst the hurricane in a decade , so this weekend is going to suck.

It's the only hurricane in a decade.

Grouchio posted:

I'm getting reports of 2-5 FEET of rain expected over the Weekend for the coastal/Houston/Austin area. :stare:

Good news for the Dallas/Lubbock/El Paso area though.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

zoux posted:

It's the only hurricane in a decade.

Good news for the Dallas/Lubbock/El Paso area though.

It's like 20% chance of rain for the next week in dallas currently. They really don't expect it to move past the coast

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I was making fun of the Houston/Austin area.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They just postponed the pride parade because of the storm.

Anyone else sitting at work hoping for the "go home early" email from the boss?

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

zoux posted:

I just got up and left. But then again, I work in a lab where people are cool with it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nice try, ISIS
https://twitter.com/corriemac/status/901104826330775552

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/NWSSPC/status/901102168194854913

I'm tipping out at noon no matter what, and I only live a mile away from my office. If you have any kind of commute throw up the double bird now and head to the car.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
MSNBC just asked Gov. Abbot if undocumented immigrants will be deported if they seek shelter from Harvey :bisonyes:

Frostyhawk
Jan 21, 2012

Bird Up!
My work shift starts on Sunday and I just know those fuckers aren't going to be cancelling anything cause its a 24-hour monitoring thing.

Probably just gonna call in.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Reminder that almost half a million people in Texas live in shantytowns that lack basic services like water and sewer and are gonna get hosed up by this storm

And if they try to flee north well:

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 25, 2017

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
What happens if they flee south?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Number Ten Cocks posted:

What happens if they flee south?

Either the cartels or the chupacabras get them.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ah yes that famous adage about not doing wrong by Texas that we all know and love: Texas Don't Play.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

zoux posted:

Reminder that almost half a million people in Texas live in shantytowns that lack basic services like water and sewer and are gonna get hosed up by this storm

Most people that live in Colonias don't have the means to go that far even to the Fal checkpoint. But it looks like due to how the High pressure systems in Mexico keep most storms away from here in the Valley, unless it comes from the Pacific, is also keeping a massive amount of rain away from us. Only problem is it's fueling the hurricane and will continue to due so as it lazily drifts NorEast along the coastal bend.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

zoux posted:

Ah yes that famous adage about not doing wrong by Texas that we all know and love: Texas Don't Play.

What does he think we will do to the hurricane

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Badger of Basra posted:

Say y'all a lot

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Shoot it with our many guns.

Abbott's doing his presser on it right now. Basically I hope that this in no way requires FEMA assistance because I don't wanna see the clusterfuck that becomes. We'll just have to rely our robust and well-funded state emergency oh my god what's going to happen to those poor people.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Aug 25, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Zil posted:

Either the cartels or the chupacabras get them.

Given the choice, I'd take the chupacabras.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Ohtsam fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

zoux posted:

Shoot it with our many guns.

Abbott's doing his presser on it right now. Basically I hope that this in no way requires FEMA assistance because I don't wanna see the clusterfuck that becomes. We'll just have to rely our robust and well-funded state emergency oh my god what's going to happen to those poor people.

they can strap themselves to all the confederate statues and hope for the best