Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
I think there's an inherent hilarity in someone who helped make Gods Will Be Watching calling a game brutally challenging but now I'm worried about Lords of the Fallen. Ah well.

In other news, your PSA for today is that Bound By Flame is $20. It is not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Awesome! posted:

the eugenics thing looks like a cool twist on the xcom formula but i hate when kickstarter games let their backers name everything

Good news: there is a toggle to cut out the silly/meme names and leave just the serious seeming ones.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Orv posted:

I think there's an inherent hilarity in someone who helped make Gods Will Be Watching calling a game brutally challenging but now I'm worried about Lords of the Fallen. Ah well.

I'm really cautious when everyone focuses on the difficulty bit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

As an aside, I just watched the giantbomb quicklook of Double Fine's Massive CHalice and the core gameplay looks absolutely uninteresting and boring. That entire game looks bland from a play perspective.

Yeah, I was really disappointed with that video. They were talking a big game, saying it's inspired by Fire Emblem or X-COM but it just isn't doing anything for me. Pretty bummed.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah, I was really disappointed with that video. They were talking a big game, saying it's inspired by Fire Emblem or X-COM but it just isn't doing anything for me. Pretty bummed.

"it's inspired by XCOM" just means that it's got turn based, group movement, apparently. Which is about as vague as saying Ghosts & Goblins inspired Dark Souls' difficulty.

yeah, if you tune out Brad's wacky talkathons (because he's an enthusiastic dude) and just watch the game play itself for 30 minutes (and pay attention to the explained rules and scenarios) it's really, really unimpressive as a product, whereas on paper it's somewhat interesting - I'll give them that.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 31, 2014

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Manatee Cannon posted:

The lineage and overworld strategy stuff looks decent, but the combat is really bland. It's no AOW 3.

EDIT: \/ yeah that AI is hilariously dumb in non-campaign stuff. Supposed to be revamped with a patch in September.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 31, 2014

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

It's no AOW 3.

So it has functional AI that wont suicide itself the moment you roll up to a city with an average size army?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

lordfrikk posted:

I'm really cautious when everyone focuses on the difficulty bit.

Yeah, a lot of people seem to think that the difficulty was the only good part of Dark Souls. They overlook the gorgeous art design, well thought-out encounter design, the way the levels all loop back on each other, or the stunning bosses, and just focus on the difficulty. Which always has me wary.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lance Streetman posted:

...the way the levels all loop back on each other...

Shhh, you'll get those people in here.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Bully really is a great little game. The attention to detail they put into the world is great, especially with the students who are written in such a way that pretty much anyone who went to school can recognize some/all of them.
A bit late here but I'm all on the Bully lovetrain. Hell, I'd be far more interested in a sequel to Bully than to any other R* franchise.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

A bit late here but I'm all on the Bully lovetrain. Hell, I'd be far more interested in a sequel to Bully than to any other R* franchise.

Pffff. I'd love Manhunt 3 or RDR2 (if it got a PC release) much more than Bully.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Lance Streetman posted:

Yeah, a lot of people seem to think that the difficulty was the only good part of Dark Souls. They overlook the gorgeous art design, well thought-out encounter design, the way the levels all loop back on each other, or the stunning bosses, and just focus on the difficulty. Which always has me wary.

The difficulty wasn't even that bad. It's just that so many gamers aren't used to games that lack hand holding.

But yeah the game is really a sum of its parts.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Drifter posted:

"it's inspired by XCOM" just means that it's got turn based, group movement, apparently. Which is about as vague as saying Ghosts & Goblins inspired Dark Souls' difficulty.

yeah, if you tune out Brad's wacky talkathons (because he's an enthusiastic dude) and just watch the game play itself for 30 minutes (and pay attention to the explained rules and scenarios) it's really, really unimpressive as a product, whereas on paper it's somewhat interesting - I'll give them that.

I'm sure it'll still be a very charming game, as that's what Double Fine does but yeah the actual gameplay is kinda lacking. Only three different classes and they're all ranged in a medieval setting? Why? It is still pretty early though so I'm hoping that by the time the gameplay is more interesting by the time it's released.

Mokinokaro posted:

The difficulty wasn't even that bad. It's just that so many gamers aren't used to games that lack hand holding.

Yeah, that series isn't particularly harder than other games for the most part. It just trusts the player to figure things out on their own, which is probably my favorite thing about the series.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm sure it'll still be a very charming game, as that's what Double Fine does but yeah the actual gameplay is kinda lacking. Only three different classes and they're all ranged in a medieval setting? Why? It is still pretty early though so I'm hoping that by the time the gameplay is more interesting by the time it's released.

One of the three is a melee class and there'll be three hybrids as well so hopefully that'll help. But yeah, the scope, which is no doubt constrained by the budget, is something I've been wondering about as I've followed the development of this (since I'm a backer, although the streams are totally open to everyone else too). I think there are only like ten enemy types, for example. I hope they're able to get enough variety in there with skills and abilities to make it interesting.

I think the PAX demo showing the beginning of the game likely doesn't do it complete justice since I imagine it gets a lot more interesting once you're deep into a campaign, have a lot of houses set up, familiar with and invested in your heroes and families, have more skills and traits available, have to manage more invasions, etc. It's not likely to be a tactical combat powerhouse but hopefully the rest of the game will compensate. The games they've shown on the streams that were further along looked more involving, at least.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Mokinokaro posted:

The way I always explain it to people is that the game isn't actually difficult, it just requires you to be a bit more on guard and attentive than most players are used to.

Ed: Also you cannot be a hoarder when it comes to souls. Spend them when you've got them.

Lance Streetman fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Aug 31, 2014

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
RE: State of Decay

I use a mod that makes all the zombies walk, kill you in 1 bite or 2 scratches (and give you the infection if you manage to live), and there's x40 the amount of zombies, vehicles are destroyed way easier, guns are louder. It's incredibly tense, and I play the "starting random character no story missions" DLC like a Roguelike. There are actually a lot of mods, including ones that remove that weird Seaman-esque "this happened while you weren't playing" mechanic and lots of little QOL improvements.

State of Decay w/ the mods that up difficulty is waaay better. When you pull up to a house to save an NPC, and see there's 5+ zombies surrounding it... you really can't afford to go in without possibly dying. If you neglect to clear the house, one errant zombie hiding behind a door can kill you near instantly. It's really, really fun in combination with random starting character/loadout/location.

Firstborn fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 31, 2014

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005
"It's only after we've lost everything that we're free do to anything"

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It's a better game than RE4 or RE6, it just lost the novelty value of 4 and has really offensively dumb partner AI (but still not dumb enough that it makes it impossible to beat the game).

I found the AI frustrating at times, but giving Sheva a rifle and the MP5 have made her not suck too much. If I'm just a little meticulous about my approach, she's popping enemies left and right.

Mokinokaro posted:

It's very action focused compared to 4 which turned a lot of people off.

There's also that hilariously racist type of enemy that I will not spoil.

I don't mind the spoiler, what is it?

Terminally Bored posted:

Counter argument - 5 has way worse level design, worse atmosphere, it reuses all the gameplay ideas from 4 and adds none, has idiot AI that almost forces you to play it in co-op and the item management is so bad you'll be pausing every 5 minutes to make some goddamn room for basic stuff. Oh, and it's racist and has atrocious writing (and not in the cheesy-fun way as 4). No lines like "your right hand comes off?".

I believe Resident 4 to be better too, although I am enjoying myself with 5. Also, I really wish they'd gone for a richer color palette than just grey.

The White Dragon posted:

Yup, I just had to uninstall PhysX and Steam Setup automatically gave me a version that was compatible with AP. Thanks, dude!

That would've been the case, too, because I recently upgraded my computer. My old box used a nice (albeit kind of a lemon) AMD card, but I put an Nvidia card in my new one.

That's great! Tell us have you fare?

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 31, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Downs Duck posted:

I don't mind the spoiler, what is it?

It's black people. It's always black people.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Only because Spaniards participated in slavery so it must be okay to kill them by the truckload, right guys?

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Drifter posted:

It's black people. It's always black people.

He said it was some enemy in particular?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sober posted:

Only because Spaniards participated in slavery so it must be okay to kill them by the truckload, right guys?
There are straight up Africans in grass skirts chucking spears at you, dude. RE5 is kind of racist.

It's also not a good game in general, even if it didn't have questionable enemies like that.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 31, 2014

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Firstborn posted:

RE: State of Decay

I use a mod that makes all the zombies walk, kill you in 1 bite or 2 scratches (and give you the infection if you manage to live), and there's x40 the amount of zombies, vehicles are destroyed way easier, guns are louder. It's incredibly tense, and I play the "starting random character no story missions" DLC like a Roguelike. There are actually a lot of mods, including ones that remove that weird Seaman-esque "this happened while you weren't playing" mechanic and lots of little QOL improvements.

State of Decay w/ the mods that up difficulty is waaay better. When you pull up to a house to save an NPC, and see there's 5+ zombies surrounding it... you really can't afford to go in without possibly dying. If you neglect to clear the house, one errant zombie hiding behind a door can kill you near instantly. It's really, really fun in combination with random starting character/loadout/location.

Any links to these?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Lance Streetman posted:

The way I always explain it to people is that the game isn't actually difficult, it just requires you to be a bit more on guard and attentive than most players are used to.

Ed: Also you cannot be a hoarder when it comes to souls. Spend them when you've got them.

That's exactly it. Some games are very offensive based, dark souls is about being defensive as hell, up until you know all the telegraphs and become a ninja-flipping 2handing whirlwind of death :getin:. For me, 100% of the stress went away with the realization that souls don't matter at all. Spend them when you have them, otherwise just ignore them. You'll get more. The people who seem to get most stressed out are the ones who had 80,000 souls banked or something, lost them, and yet are already at an absurdly high level because they need to many souls to level up again.

Downs Duck
Nov 19, 2005

Sober posted:

Speaking of Spaniards, didn't I murder those by the truckloads in RE 4?

Anyway, all the Dark Souls chatter makes me want to play it again.

Meow Tse-tung posted:

That's exactly it. Some games are very offensive based, dark souls is about being defensive as hell, up until you know all the telegraphs and become a ninja-flipping 2handing whirlwind of death :getin:. For me, 100% of the stress went away with the realization that souls don't matter at all. Spend them when you have them, otherwise just ignore them. You'll get more. The people who seem to get most stressed out are the ones who had 80,000 souls banked or something, lost them, and yet are already at an absurdly high level because they need to many souls to level up again.

You are so right on this. It took me some time before I understood the only real value in Dark Souls is player level. Nothing else really matters. And yes, the levels, the gameplay, etc. What a fantastic game.

Downs Duck fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Aug 31, 2014

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest

RBX posted:

Any links to these?

http://www.nexusmods.com/stateofdecay/mods/4/
Unzip the file into SoD/Game directory. Right-click one of the Hell Modes and click "Extract Here" if using WinZip. It's done. The readme has documentation on the other tweaks, of which there are a lot. Hell Mode for Breakdown pretty much is all of the difficulty stuff rolled in to one click.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Firstborn posted:

http://www.nexusmods.com/stateofdecay/mods/4/
Unzip the file into SoD/Game directory. Right-click one of the Hell Modes and click "Extract Here" if using WinZip. It's done. The readme has documentation on the other tweaks, of which there are a lot. Hell Mode for Breakdown pretty much is all of the difficulty stuff rolled in to one click.

Do these prevent achievements? I'm close to getting 100% and some of the QoL ones look great.

Orv
May 4, 2011
They do not.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Sober posted:

The 'Spaniards' in RE4 are just dudes who happen to be speaking a very broken form of spanish.

In RE5 you have black dudes in wooden masks with grass skirts chucking spears at you. It's kind of different.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Downs Duck posted:

That's great! Tell us have you fare?

Oh, I've already played AP a bunch of times, just thanks to the recent discussion in this thread I got the itch to install it and play it again. I've never taken over Halbech or allied with Shaheed, so I'll probably see how that works out for me this time.

Orv
May 4, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

I've never taken over Halbech

Oh do it, it's the best.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008
RE: Massive Chalice

I played it for a bit yesterday, and the tactical combat is functional with some interesting quirks (there's at least a few interesting combo abilities and big dudes can play pinball with your units by knocking them around and using them to stun other units). I think a part of the issue is that it sounded like it had an internal team around the size of their smaller titles, so it'll be a good chunk of game but it won't be enormous. Play through time of the game seemed to be stated as 'about 20 hours.' Honestly the best part of what I played is when I completed a mission, dropped out, and the game asked me to install a regent into the castle I rescued and get them breeding.

Also, if anyone was vaguely interested in Lords of the Fallen, the Dark Souls inspired game (literally has picking up 'experience' where you died, giant floaty red crystal checkpoints that restore your healing flask, the control scheme was borrowed down to the lock on system and parrying/backstabs), wait hard. They captured the essence of Dark Souls, applied a giant slathering of fairly pretty Warhammer Fantasy paint, and then proceeded to completely gently caress up how the game controls. There's like a huge animation wind up and fall off on any mobile action you do, so everything feels incredibly floaty, and on top of that enemy attacks tended to be able to clip through solid geometry with relative ease.

Orv
May 4, 2011

rargphlam posted:

Also, if anyone was vaguely interested in Lords of the Fallen, the Dark Souls inspired game (literally has picking up 'experience' where you died, giant floaty red crystal checkpoints that restore your healing flask, the control scheme was borrowed down to the lock on system and parrying/backstabs), wait hard. They captured the essence of Dark Souls, applied a giant slathering of fairly pretty Warhammer Fantasy paint, and then proceeded to completely gently caress up how the game controls. There's like a huge animation wind up and fall off on any mobile action you do, so everything feels incredibly floaty, and on top of that enemy attacks tended to be able to clip through solid geometry with relative ease.

Are they at least cognizant of those problems, if you got to talk to someone on their team?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Ddraig posted:

The 'Spaniards' in RE4 are just dudes who happen to be speaking a very broken form of spanish.

In RE5 you have black dudes in wooden masks with grass skirts chucking spears at you. It's kind of different.

There's also that bizarre random scene right at the start of the game where you try to save the one white woman in Africa from the rampaging black hordes.

rargphlam
Dec 16, 2008

Orv posted:

Are they at least cognizant of those problems, if you got to talk to someone on their team?

It was a pretty non-descript booth on the back of a wall, didn't really seem like anyone on the dev team was there, just some generic convention temps that companies hire out.

e: Brad was there for Massive Chalice though he was REALLY easy to get excited talking about his game.

rargphlam fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 1, 2014

Orv
May 4, 2011

rargphlam posted:

It was a pretty non-descript booth on the back of a wall, didn't really seem like anyone on the dev team was there, just some generic convention temps that companies hire out.

Disappointing but unsurprising. Ah well, idiot that I am I'll let you know come Halloween.

E: It's when Brad Muir is not a walking grin that you need to start worrying.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 1, 2014

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

I have no problem reading lovely fiction and I'm happy to say that this gave me this gem.

Black Magic is a dead ringer for Kanye West. You think he might actually be a direct descendant but no one knows enough about his past to be sure. You've always been fine being alone, especially since you haven't had much choice in the matter. Still, there's something about Black Magic…whenever you see him, you feel like you want more. Sometimes when you're falling asleep, you stare at Black Magic's poster and imagine him lying beside you. It would be awfully nice to have someone there—though you try not to indulge in thoughts like this too often.

And that didn't involve any re-naming, mad libs style, but was just one of the choices in this CYOA. The writing is rather poor but I'm going hook up with Kanye. My holographic avatar computer-thingy is also a sassy drag queen named LaClarkson. We're going places.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 1, 2014

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So how's Kinectic Void? Is it gonna scratch my Homeworld itch of space battles?

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, this is the major downside. :(

Are we talking about the guys in the swamp? :v: I suppose you can't really expect Japanese devs to be tactful in this regard.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Azran posted:

So how's Kinectic Void? Is it gonna scratch my Homeworld itch of space battles?

Not even a little bit. KV is an X3/Elite sort of game with ship customization, you fly one ship at a time and never leave it. Void Destroyer has no real ship customization but is a mix of X3 and a space RTS. It's also unfinished, though more of a game than KV right now.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Orv posted:

Not even a little bit. Void Destroyer has no real ship customization but is a mix of X3 and a space RTS. It's also unfinished, though more of a game than KV right now.

When's Homeworld HD even supposed to come out at this point anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

When's Homeworld HD even supposed to come out at this point anyway?

TBA :smith:

• Locked thread