Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fuzz posted:

I'm now picturing that movie's poster with Nick Cage wearing a horned helmet with a huge beard and the cars replaced with dragons and crap.

Someone please Photoshop that.

Calm in 60 Seconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This aspect of shouts kind of bother me because yes I know it's not a real RPG but they're just such a no-brainer set of tools to have for *any* character. What archetype doesn't benefit from unrelenting force, whirlwind sprint, invincibility and so on?

And it doesn't take away from any other skill investment because it's just a free set of bonus powers. Not taking them is just artificially limiting yourself. Plus they're just really fun to use.

This annoys me considerably more than it otherwise would because if I have to watch the greybeards slowly shuffling around and mumbling at the floor one more time I'm going to kill myself. But what am I going to do, not go to high hrothgar?

After all this time, is there not a mod that streamlines the High Hrothgar stuff for acquiring your first shout?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I never went to HH. Never even started the CW questline. For DB, I went about as far as checking out the brainwashed guys building the new temple.

I did finish the DG questline, though, because massacring a bunch of decadent parasites in their castle is my power fantasy. :thermidor:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

nine-gear crow posted:

Calm in 60 Seconds

Exactly.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cat Mattress posted:

I never went to HH. Never even started the CW questline. For DB, I went about as far as checking out the brainwashed guys building the new temple.

I did finish the DG questline, though, because massacring a bunch of decadent parasites in their castle is my power fantasy. :thermidor:

Holy poo poo is that what DG is mostly about? I have generally not been a fan of the werewolf/vampire stuff in Elder Scrolls, but it sounds like I need to get on that post haste. :commissar:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

This annoys me considerably more than it otherwise would because if I have to watch the greybeards slowly shuffling around and mumbling at the floor one more time I'm going to kill myself. But what am I going to do, not go to high hrothgar?

Friend, it's actually quite easy to use the console to give yourself Fus Ro Dah and some dragon souls

e: and also to use setstage to skip that part of the main quest if for some reason you want to do the rest of it

DrNutt posted:

Holy poo poo is that what DG is mostly about? I have generally not been a fan of the werewolf/vampire stuff in Elder Scrolls, but it sounds like I need to get on that post haste. :commissar:

It's not even close to worth suffering through interminably playing the sidekick to the writer's pet NPC. Did you ever read DM of the Rings? The DM is to Gandalf in that comic exactly as the plot writer is to Serana in Dawnguard.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

yeah you basically assemble the dirty dozen to go murder a bunch of fops in some garrish castle and get to recruit

battle

huskies

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Boy howdy is it getting reeeeeeeal distracting hearing Mercer Frey voice like, 9/10 other important NPCs. If they didn't want to hire hundreds of va's they could have at least cast a few that have range. poo poo, you could probably just have Nolan North and Jennifer Hale voice the whole game and it'd be less noticeable than it is now.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Charles Martinet's there, just make him do all the voices.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Funky Valentine posted:

Charles Martinet's there, just make him do all the voices.

Jesus, I just looked it up and the guy that voices Mercer Frey voices like thirty characters. But like, he voices Clavicus Vile AND Barbas. So why do Madanach and Mercer Frey have the same loving voice? Did they not thing people would do a bunch of sidequests with one character or something? Smacks of lazy.

Oh well that's really not what this game's about, it's just getting a bit distracting is all.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
How does one assist 3/3 Falkreath residents? I've talked to every single person in town and only two people gave me tasks. The stuff you can do for the Jarl and Steward don't seem to count, nor did doing the Clavicus Vile quest and telling Lod about his dog. I want to be everyone's Thane.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrNutt posted:

How does one assist 3/3 Falkreath residents? I've talked to every single person in town and only two people gave me tasks. The stuff you can do for the Jarl and Steward don't seem to count, nor did doing the Clavicus Vile quest and telling Lod about his dog. I want to be everyone's Thane.

Hint: the town 'Falkreath' is only one place in Falkreath hold.

Check out Corpselight Farm and Half-Moon Mill.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

DrNutt posted:

Here. Chop some wood, gather some crops, get Runil his diary.

Falkreath is an annoying one to do because of how thinly populated it is compared to even the other minor holds. Best looking house area, though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Addamere posted:

Hint: the town 'Falkreath' is only one place in Falkreath hold.

Check out Corpselight Farm and Half-Moon Mill.

No one in Corpselight Farm will do anything beyond give me a canned line of dialogue, but I did not realize that Half-Moon Mill was part of Falkreath! Thanks.

Funky Valentine posted:

Here. Chop some wood, gather some crops, get Runil his diary.

Falkreath is an annoying one to do because of how thinly populated it is compared to even the other minor holds. Best looking house area, though.

Yeah, I already got the land and built my Hearthfire house, but I want to be the Thane, which you don't get unless you help 3/3 people. Falkreath is a bit weird with how they give you access to the house before the title of Thane.

I really want a house in Solitude but 25000 septims is a lot for me right now. :capitalism:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

That whole conceit is so hilarious if you take 0.5 seconds to think about it. "OK Jarl, I chopped some wood for a vampire chick, picked a stalk of wheat for some other guy, and walked three steps with some dude's ashes to hand over to the priest because some old guy was too lazy and/or drunk to get up out of his chair. I am now the most popular man in Falkreath.Thane me."

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Eric the Mauve posted:

That whole conceit is so hilarious if you take 0.5 seconds to think about it. "OK Jarl, I chopped some wood for a vampire chick, picked a stalk of wheat for some other guy, and walked three steps with some dude's ashes to hand over to the priest because some old guy was too lazy and/or drunk to get up out of his chair. I am now the most popular man in Falkreath.Thane me."

There's like eight people in the whole hold and half of them are miserable wrecks, this is perfectly sensible.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Berke Negri posted:

recruit

battle

huskies

not emptyquoting

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Addamere posted:

After all this time, is there not a mod that streamlines the High Hrothgar stuff for acquiring your first shout?

Skip Bleak Falls Barrow https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/13540
Skip 7000 Steps (for Oldrim only, haven't checked to see if it converts easily) https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/64819
Skip Ustengrav https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/14165
Skip Blackreach https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/7636
Skip Skyrim https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/, begin installing every single mod, never stop

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
oh also, Wintersun (EnaiSiaion's religion revamp) is officially out

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/22506

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lum_ posted:

Skip Bleak Falls Barrow https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/13540
Skip 7000 Steps (for Oldrim only, haven't checked to see if it converts easily) https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/64819
Skip Ustengrav https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/14165
Skip Blackreach https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/7636
Skip Skyrim https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/, begin installing every single mod, never stop

I love these mods but the one I really want is a "Skip To The End" conversation option for the three-week-long "how to shout" sequence.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

docbeard posted:

I love these mods but the one I really want is a "Skip To The End" conversation option for the three-week-long "how to shout" sequence.

Go pull the quest ID and its substages, then make a bat file that cycles through them so it finishes and you get your credit for it and then move on with your life.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah, you can actually make a .txt file with all the console commands to give yourself the words and souls you want and skip to the next stage in the main quest... y'know what, gently caress it. Here you go:

code:
player.teachword 13f39
player.teachword 2f7be
player.modav DragonSouls 2
setstage mq105 140
Paste that into a .txt file, call it skiptraining.txt (or whatever) and put it in your Skyrim\Data folder. As soon as The Way of the Voice starts, run
code:
bat skiptraining
in the console. Now when you arrive at High Hrothgar all you have to do is head to the courtyard and talk to Arngeir who will give the end of his spiel and send you off to Ustengrav. You'll have to go into the usual menu to use dragon souls to learn the shouts.

(Haven't tested this yet but unless I hosed up any of the values I'm 97% sure it will work. Make a fresh save first of course.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah, you can actually make a .txt file with all the console commands to give yourself the words and souls you want and skip to the next stage in the main quest... y'know what, gently caress it. Here you go:

code:
player.teachword 13f39
player.teachword 2f7be
setstage mq105 140
Paste that into a .txt file, call it skiptraining.txt (or whatever) and put it in your Skyrim\Data folder. As soon as The Way of the Voice starts, run
code:
bat skiptraining
in the console. Now when you arrive at High Hrothgar all you have to do is head to the courtyard and talk to Arngeir who will give the end of his spiel and send you off to Ustengrav. You'll have to go into the usual menu to use dragon souls to learn the shouts.

(Haven't tested this yet but unless I hosed up any of the values I'm 97% sure it will work. Make a fresh save first of course.)

Oh god, that's everything I've ever wanted. Are the codes the same for oldrim and SE?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

winterhold is the worst to be made thane in because you get nothing

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Berke Negri posted:

winterhold is the worst to be made thane in because you get nothing

Y'all need Zim's Immersive Artifacts then. Has some sick thane weapons, along with a ton of other great changes.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy

graynull posted:

Y'all need Zim's Immersive Artifacts then. Has some sick thane weapons, along with a ton of other great changes.

That's exactly what I was looking for to post about it but forgot the name.

It's really great and ads some nice feel to the Thane and other rewards/artifacts.

The Whiterun two handed one is very neat if you like shouts.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never played either of the skyrim dlc. Are they fine as-is? I know Jaina Proudmoore apparently is the star of one of them, and ofc gamers have opinions about video game lady.

anything besides those unofficial patch fix mods i need to make them playable? Anything that really stands out as notable, beloved additions?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Addamere posted:

I've never played either of the skyrim dlc. Are they fine as-is? I know Jaina Proudmoore apparently is the star of one of them, and ofc gamers have opinions about video game lady.

anything besides those unofficial patch fix mods i need to make them playable? Anything that really stands out as notable, beloved additions?

Big

Anime

Titties

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

code:
player.teachword 13f39
player.teachword 2f7be
setstage mq105 140
code:
bat skiptraining

Quoting this so I can find it again easily when I go back to Skyrim. Thank you!

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Addamere posted:

Dawnguard I never cared for but Dragonborne is actually pretty drat good out of the box, no mods required.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Addamere posted:

It's been a few years since I last played, but I can't even guess what you could possibly be referring to?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

CascadeBeta posted:

Dawnguard I never cared for but Dragonborne is actually pretty drat good out of the box, no mods required.

Laura Bailey is the voice of both Jaina and Serana.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

LLSix posted:

It's been a few years since I last played, but I can't even guess what you could possibly be referring to?
Serana is voiced by Laura Bailey, who also voices Jaina.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Don't tell me that Laura Bailey is some kind of milkshake duck or something because I love her. My favorite Saints Row Boss voice for sure.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I think he means the opposite - that gamers hate her for being a lady and it makes it hard to tell if her voice / characters are actually good or not

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I think he means the opposite - that gamers hate her for being a lady and it makes it hard to tell if her voice / characters are actually good or not

yes this

I personally love Laura Bailey in Critical Role, but I've heard all sorts of hate about Serana.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah, in fairness, Serena is genuinely a terrible anime magical girl you rescue from 1 million years of stasis with the power of love and she shows you her honkers and then pulls out her sick ancient daedric katana and helps you beat up her dad while making joss whedon wisecracks.

She's really really bad. The best VA in the world couldn't salvage it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Addamere posted:

yes this
I personally love Laura Bailey in Critical Role, but I've heard all sorts of hate about Serana.
My personal awkward Skyrim confession is that I actually like Serana as a companion.
That said: Her character is pretty dumb. But so is the whole of Dawnguard's story. :shrug:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Oh good. I'm actually considering braving Emerald City Comic Con this year to see her and Nolan North.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I just had a moment of mod sanity while downloading a mod to make reading spell tomes take time based on skill to actually learn the spells. I decided I could just act like I had the mod and faceslam a spellbook like normal and not use the spell until I was closer to the skill level of the spell. That happened to me once playing New Vegas also, where I was trying to find a mod to make the cost of entry for The Strip more expensive and realized I could just pretend it was 5,000 caps or whatever and skip the mod.