Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/03/walk-the-path-to-glory-and-forge-epic-armies-in-newaos/

Are you prepared to Walk the Path to Glory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Whats path to glory? Is this the crusade mode for AoS?

Also finally the full reveal of the box is 18th may so that will define alot of if ill pick it up or not

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Those skill trees are super cool. The hint that every Battle Tome will get its own hero creator for Path to Glory is fantastic. This rules.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm so glad they're expanding on the Anvil instead of banishing it. It's interesting that, compared to narrative quest mechanics like 40k's Crusade and 3rd ed's Paths, they seem to be focusing on customizing and growing your units instead.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Al-Saqr posted:

Whats path to glory? Is this the crusade mode for AoS?

Also finally the full reveal of the box is 18th may so that will define alot of if ill pick it up or not

Path to Glory is the Crisade equivalent, yeah. Last edition it was mostly about getting territories that gave you bonuses and trying to do quests to earn bonuses. The territory focus was a bit awkward and involved a lot of random rolls combined with bookkeeping.

The new angle is you will get to customize your units as they take part in battles, giving them new abilities based on which customization path they’re on. Anvil of Apotheosis will be in the battletomes, and it lets you create entirely new custom heroes to lead your forces.

Overall I’m a huge fan of this as it will make it easier to do stories that don’t revolve around land seizing.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
That's the main rub about Crusade and Path to Glory narratives, I find. The faction mechanics are cool, but also pigeonhole things a little. It also kinda feels weirdly disconnected sometimes? In 40k a GSC, Tyranid, and Tau player can all be fighting to control planets, but they're all different planets and none of them are the place where armies are actually battling.

More neutral stuff like the WAAAAAGH! points rule, though. I hope Games Workshop gives AoS players orky ructions.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/06/make-swiss-cheese-of-the-sigmarite-lickspittles-with-the-new-skaven-jezzails/

Skaven adds a little pew pew.

And next week will see a reveal of the Skavens really big toys.

quote:

The Clans Skryre have been busy in Blight City, and these warplock jezzails are not the only ordnance wheeling out of the workshops. Tune into next week’s The Mortal Realms Reforged event live from the Dallas Open to find out more about the terrifying Skaven war machine.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Jezzails finally having more than 1 attack is a god-send. While we don't get their warscroll proper, the rest of the stats look good. I'm just curious if I can finally reinforce them as them being single units in the last book kind of killed my enthusiam for them.

They, much like all the reveals, look fantastic though. I cannot wait to see what else is coming down the line.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Yeah every reveal has been a home run

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I think they said every unit can be reinforced this ed. Though, man, if they keep their current unit size that would be a terrifying amount of character sniping potential.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

The Bee posted:

I think they said every unit can be reinforced this ed. Though, man, if they keep their current unit size that would be a terrifying amount of character sniping potential.

Yeah, I'm curious to see how the new reinforcement rule plays out. Only being to reinforce once is probably going to be a good balancing tool, but with a single reinforcement that is going to give you 12 Jezzail attacks, even better with a Engineer to help spot heroes. Its a nasty upgrade in the big picture.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
I've seen some people theorize the jezzail is going down to 4+ base to compensate, but even then I think a jezzail unit seems like enough to eat most characters alive.

12 shots (13 if the unit champion gets another? There seems to be a double-barreled one in the video) wounding on 3s is already 8 shots to take into account.

If they hit on 4s base, that's 4 shots to make saves against. That's 5.33 shots when standing still, or if 3+ is their base accuracy. And if 3+ is base, that's 6.67 shots while standing still. A reinforced jezzail unit, or even just two regular jezzail squads flanking an Engineer, are going to mulch characters.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/06/the-mortal-realms-reforged-the-full-reveal-of-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-is-coming/

Time to clear your calendars folks as the times for the 4e streams have been revealed.

Thankfully in my case I don't have to sit up to like 3 in the morning like last time.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

The double barrel jezzail from the video looks amazing

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I'm perfectly capable of learning my lesson and won't be tuning in for the live reveals. The internet will watch it for me, digest the content, and feed it to me like a baby bird in my own good time.

2K livestream game from two high-level players sounds pretty sweet, though.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
raptor longstrikes but rats

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
I like how the jezzails now use of highly pressurised warpstone gas that condenses into solid munitions instead of regular warpstone bullets. It’s more mad science and removes the jezzail’s status as the one skaven invention that was unlikely to blow its users up.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Airsoft sniper rifles.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/07/2024-pricing-update/

Welp, time for another price raise for models.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/09/create-battlefields-worth-fighting-over-with-the-updated-terrain-rules-for-newaos/

Terrain, rules.

That will probably be the last update until the reveal stream in a week's time.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I would KILL to have the terrain card guides in 40k, what a badly needed idea for people to have in a handy card format.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

No need for wanton murder as games-workshop already provided it for 40K

https://wahapedia.ru/wh40k10ed/the-rules/leviathan/#Terrain-Layouts

Edit: Unless you mean how each piece of terrain works, then uh, it still seems like it's probably going to be more complicated with faction terrain and other things.

Lostconfused fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 9, 2024

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

No need for wanton murder as games-workshop already provided it for 40K

https://wahapedia.ru/wh40k10ed/the-rules/leviathan/#Terrain-Layouts

Oh!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Wish there was some timeline on the darkoath set for Australia. I've built my war queen, savagers and Godsworn hunt to use as cool filler minis but I want to know when I can start on the main show :(

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/09/warcry-metawatch-gnegotiating-the-gnarlwood-with-gnew-rules/

For those who play Warcry, there's a new metawatch video and associated rules updates.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

So are places of power area of effect buffs for wizards and magic users?

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Al-Saqr posted:

It can make a non wizard able to unbind too, so look at it as generally hero boosting terrain

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Al-Saqr posted:

Basically when you have a hero near one, they can activate it. 1/3 of the time this explodes in their face, the other 2/3 times, they either get a buff to casting if they cast or pray, or they can unbind spells if they can’t cast or pray.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
1/6th of the time.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Is it a d6? I remembered a d3 for some reason.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It does d3 damage if you roll a 1 on a d6 when you touch the glowy thing. That's probably what got you.

grobbo
May 29, 2014
This is an odd question. I was looking at the Endless Spells range, which (despite presumably not being massive sellers since they've long since ground to a halt) have some really lovingly crafted, fun models.

Now, if I were a GW pencil-pusher in sales approving a relatively niche series of kits like this, I'd probably be firmly telling the creative team to ensure that there are plenty of spell models which could be used as proxies for Dungeons and Dragons. It in no way hurts your own brand or risks a lawsuit to have a spell that's also a giant hand, or some tentacles (which can be painted black), a wall of water, or an illusory figure, for instance.

Endless Spells does have some models which could work as DnD proxies, but it definitely doesn't go out of its way to provide those options, and a lot of the models are very forcefully Warhammer-branded and almost obstinately single-use (a giant floating Khorne icon, etc).

In some ways this seems to be a recurring pattern with modern Warhammer, a refusal to release more generic fantasy models which could be used for other games - from a purely cynical business perspective, there's no reason why the Arkanauts couldn't have an iron golem in their range, or why various of the factions couldn't have a wider range of dragons, either of which would arguably open up sales to other tabletop audiences.

Is this a deliberate choice on GW's part, or just an inadvertent casualty of their attempts to make everything highly distinct and copyrightable? And if it is deliberate, is it a smart choice?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I don't really think it's a case of them going out of their way to not make models that are compatible for other games/settings. There are lots and lots of AOS models that work just fine for other settings - For example, the newly released Darkoath are extremely generic Barbarian Guys, almost the entirety of the Cities range is City Guard Guys, and so on.

However, I do think they go out of their way to make their models as distinct as possible, both to make their IP stand out more, and also to make it harder to use more generic models from other manufacturers in Warhammer.

Basically, I think you have the causality reversed. They don't care if you use Warhammer models in other games, they do care if you use other models in Warhammer.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Warhammer as a game was a sales mandate to sell more models. Citadel started as the UK seller for DnD minis but saw people only really needed to buy 1- 2 of each model. So an executive said if we make an army game we could sell ranks of these dudes.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/13/there-are-two-huge-warhammer-preview-shows-this-week/

Alert, we have a new good boy drop, and it's an extra shaggy one too.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The shaggiest bird you'll ever see

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is that the same file as the previous dog but with feathers on it?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

The shaggiest bird you'll ever see

I think that title has already been claimed

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Floppychop posted:

I think that title has already been claimed

I would kill for a mini of some poor idiot from thr cities of sigmar who has to take care of a baby griffon being shagged like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Looks like theres more new minis going to be shown tomorrow, the preview alone makes me hype as poo poo this guy looks super awesome:-