Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

If the Secret Service pulls out a minigun and fires into a crowd of people to protect the president, I can't help but feel that would poll very poorly.

This is the sort of thing you sell to people like Lukashenko, Duterte, Orban, some previous US presidents, and Bolsonaro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midjack posted:

This is the sort of thing you sell to people like Lukashenko, Duterte, Orban, some previous US presidents, and Bolsonaro.

Hence my original comment.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Elem7 posted:

I really wish Rivian had pushed their cab further forward so they could add at least a foot more to the bed of their pickup. Why waste all that space to have an 11cf frunk and then a 4 and a half foot bed on a EV pickup?

They can't, the front tires block the space. Of course they could have cut the nose off in front of the tires or shave off quite a lot off over the tires, but I assume that look wouldn't go over well with the truck buying populace. And of course they could have always built a cabover, but seems that americans refuse to buy those even for work use where they are obviously the best option.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

KillHour posted:

If the Secret Service pulls out a minigun and fires into a crowd of people to protect the president, I can't help but feel that would poll very poorly.

It's basically their fantasy

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Saukkis posted:

They can't, the front tires block the space. Of course they could have cut the nose off in front of the tires or shave off quite a lot off over the tires, but I assume that look wouldn't go over well with the truck buying populace. And of course they could have always built a cabover, but seems that americans refuse to buy those even for work use where they are obviously the best option.

Cab-overs are notoriously awful for crash safety, even the Hi-Ace is no longer a true cab-over because your legs are the crumple zones. Many of them are also truly loving awful to drive as well

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Yeah, Cab Over semis died off in the US because even with air suspension they ride like poo poo.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

There is only one good cabover truck

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

BloodBag posted:

Only thing that tops an M2 browning in a tahoe is a minigun in a tahoe

Like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_j0eJ0xB7LU&t=104s

And I'm finished.

man i would love that car if i was the director of shield

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

KillHour posted:

Depends really, I mean the last guy tear gassed and beat protestors so he could get a photo op in.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

There was a video of Biden doing some meet & greet thing recently and it was an open road with his typical security detail behind him. I'm not saying that the SS has minigun tahoes, but the roofline on the tahoe behind Biden was suspiciously tall. I would assume if someone tried to mob the POTUS that there's more than one minigun tahoe to deal with.

E: the minigun or any post-ban machine gun isn't for sale to anyone in the US that isn't a government or law enforcement agency (or class 3 dealer/sample), but the govt absolutely does buy new machine guns to this day. My shop just got FFL SOT2 classification and the govt very much buys NFA items every day.

BloodBag fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Oct 3, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If the secret service needs to use miniguns to defend the president, the US is a failed state and protecting the president no longer matters.

Q_res posted:

Yeah, Cab Over semis died off in the US because even with air suspension they ride like poo poo.

Cab-over semis are safer, apparently. Don't know how they ride, I'm not a semi driver. But researching this, seems to be outdated knowledge from the 80s as well.

Fame Douglas fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Oct 3, 2021

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I've used the vehicle contact drill ranges at Hereford, they have quite a few, it's a good day out shooting from cars and vans.

Pontrilas Army Training Area (PATA)
https://goo.gl/maps/VgUtf5QK6wdzXdcG8

I reckon Biden would upgrade to the 50cal version for his Tahoe

https://youtu.be/fsF2b__Saeg

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Inner Light posted:

The video mentions it is not legal to purchase in the USA (not sure if their voiceover is accurate as laws change over time), but it was also mentioned the manufacturer is in Scottsdale, AZ.

Looks like they are still around:

https://dillonaero.com/our-products/

Dillon is a pretty major DoD contractor for US military miniguns and accoutrements. IIRC they made significant improvements to the design (particularly the feed system) and got it type-standardized as the M134D in the late nineties. Just in time for USSOCOM to go all :homebrew:

As for legality, you can transfer dealer samples around between Class III FFL holders, but that’s it. The vast majority of M134s you see in civilian hands are of this flavor. There are a bare handful of pre-86 amnesty registered, transferable M134s on the ATF machine gun registry. Some say one, some say two, either way; It’s not loving many, and they very rarely change hands in public. If you could track one down, and you don’t live in a state/municipality that would block you from ownership, and you had really-nice-house kind of money, you could buy one and mount it in your Tahoe.

The better question about MinigunTahoe is whether the gun hatch is weather-tight or not.

:colbert:

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

BloodBag posted:

but the roofline on the tahoe behind Biden was suspiciously tall.

Probably more likely to be either electronic countermeasures or secure communications.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MrYenko posted:

The better question about MinigunTahoe is whether the gun hatch is weather-tight or not.
:colbert:

The secret service really hosed up by not using t-top Camaros.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Fame Douglas posted:

But researching this, seems to be outdated knowledge from the 80s as well.

That's also roughly when Cab Overs died off, only a couple models hung on into the 90s before finally disappearing entirely.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

GM you cowards bring it back

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

If the secret service needs to use miniguns to defend the president, the US is a failed state and protecting the president no longer matters.

40 thousand Americans, many of them belonging to fringe militant terrorist organizations, just attempted to overthrow the US government with the help of the sitting president and members of congress.

So, uh, yeah. Failed state might be correct.

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

Q_res posted:

Most of the trucks in Europe are cab-over. Seem to work just fine :shrug:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Cabovers vanished in the US because a limit on the max allowed length of trucks was lifted in the mid 70s. Ride comfort & safety of the older ones was apparently the biggest drawback although that’s been addressed now. They are much more maneuverable which is why Europe uses them (smaller roads).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Wheeee posted:

GM you cowards bring it back

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
LIEUTENANT TURBO DIESEL REPORTING SIR

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Jesus Christ that is beautifully horrible

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That is so stupid since Isuzu already had a dual cab model of that small truck chassis, even in 4x4 configuration

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

I think I've seen pictures of this thing on the street posted in the other thread and assumed someone had grafted some kind of medium duty truck cab over a regular pickup body. Turns out that someone was General Motors?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

90s Solo Cup posted:

Well. I was expecting something a bit tidier in size. Maybe first-gen TSX proportions? This just looks a bit too long and heavy for me to go "ah yeah, that's definitely an Integra."

If it's built on the current Civic platform (which I think hasn't been confirmed but seems a given), it will be smaller and lighter than the first gen TSX. But yeah, it's not as tidy as the last Integra.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

New Civic Type R looks sick. Say a prayer for mechanical HVAC controls

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Head Bee Guy posted:

Do we have any indication if they're making it AWD or giving it a dual clutch auto?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

Head Bee Guy posted:

There has to be a better term for actual knobs and buttons than mechanical. My 30-year-old truck has mechanical controls. Levers attached to cables attached to blend doors. Modern cars have electronic switches connected to motors that move blend doors around. Maybe "dedicated" HVAC controls? Physical?

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Head Bee Guy posted:

There are still a lot of spots where they could put black fake grill plastic garbage, but it already looks a lot better than the old one.
Im pulling for you Honda!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Head Bee Guy posted:

Dazzle camouflage for the road. Teslas will never see it coming.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Boy that rear shape looks a lot like the Integra prototype

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
IMO it looks sick and not embarrassing to be seen in like the current one.

Hopefully it’ll actually be available. Even before covid hosed the market, CTRs with 35k miles we’re still going for above msrp around me. Which is particularly insane for anything with a Honda badge, no matter how cool

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Head Bee Guy posted:

Hopefully it’ll actually be available. Even before covid hosed the market, CTRs with 35k miles we’re still going for above msrp around me. Which is particularly insane for anything with a Honda badge, no matter how cool

If it had an Acura badge would that be any better

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Every dealer around me is adding at least $10k to the sticker on a CTR. I test drove one at one of the e-dealers that had a lot nearby and it was amazing.

$40k amazing? Maybe, if you factor in that it is more practical and reliable than anything else in its performance category.

$50k+ amazing? gently caress, really hard to justify.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Head Bee Guy posted:

Looks nice, better than I thought it was gonna look based on earlier images. Very Evo-esque. Hopefully this new one being conventionally better looking means prices for the FK8 will go down because I still prefer that.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

If it had an Acura badge would that be any better

lol no

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Head Bee Guy posted:

Have JCW Minis been around $40k for a while? The Civic Type R is pretty similar.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Kraftwerk posted:

Do we have any indication if they're making it AWD or giving it a dual clutch auto?

Hopefully not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Disagree. Throw the power plant in the Integra as the Type R. Make some nice bolstered seats, but ditch all the fake carbon fiber and bright red seat bullshit.
Or do the Type R as a toned down CTR, and then make a Type R Touring. Something an adult wouldn't be ashamed to climb out of.

Wasnt this going to a thing for the CTR or was that just non American versions only? I could have swarn there was going to be a non anime version for a while.