Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

How many young afterlives must be lost in dangerous backalley resurrections before something is done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Brass loving balls on that one.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

DariusLikewise posted:

Doesn't matter what they do with that project, the Ontario Liberals have already sabotaged it

As someone out of the loop: what did they do?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

StarMinstrel posted:

As someone out of the loop: what did they do?

They are under funding recipients(only receiving 75% of what is considered the poverty line) and so far they've only received responses from 10% of the 4000 enrollment letters they mailed out. If they were serious about this they would have ran it similar to the pilot project in Dauphin, MB back in the 70s.

New Manitoba budget dropping in 15 minutes, so excited for my personal exemption to double for some reason.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

DariusLikewise posted:

They are under funding recipients(only receiving 75% of what is considered the poverty line) and so far they've only received responses from 10% of the 4000 enrollment letters they mailed out. If they were serious about this they would have ran it similar to the pilot project in Dauphin, MB back in the 70s.

New Manitoba budget dropping in 15 minutes, so excited for my personal exemption to double for some reason.

I remember saying to a friend of mine that was hopeful for UBI to not get his hopes up, and that either the Liberals would sabotage the project to use the resulting data as “proof” UBI is unworkable or that they would implement it in such a way as it actually lowering the amount people would receive overall from the social safety net.

Glad to see they did not disappoint. Smh

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Apparently a bunch of managers at Workers Comp were let go today, so the cuts continue.

lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009

:perfect:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Duck Rodgers posted:

Apparently a bunch of managers at Workers Comp were let go today, so the cuts continue.

Carbon Tax goes into effect September 1st, money is going towards an increase in the basic exemption and a small business tax cut lol. This loving province.

https://twitter.com/Brian_Pallister/status/973288497346904066

https://twitter.com/Brian_Pallister/status/973287826493198338

https://twitter.com/tombrodbeck/status/973288100922261510

https://twitter.com/tombrodbeck/status/973286716755927040

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Most of blockchain's benefits don't come from blockchain, Bank of Canada staffer says

YOU CANT DO THIS BLOCKCHAIN IS PERFECT

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Except for the small business tax rate, this seems reasonable. Increasing the basic personal exemption helps low-income people, and carbon taxes are good.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

DariusLikewise posted:

Tom Brodbeck tweets

Please never post Tom Brodbeck tweets here unless it's a notice explaining that he's finally drunkenly wrapped his car around a hydro pole whilst jerking off to a photo of Gary Filmon.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PT6A posted:

Except for the small business tax rate, this seems reasonable. Increasing the basic personal exemption helps low-income people, and carbon taxes are good.

Have you ever been poor?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

Have you ever been poor?

No, but I assume paying less tax and therefore having more money would be good.

I'm not saying the whole budget is good, I'm saying I see nothing wrong with those specific measures being mentioned, apart from increasing the small business amount, which is just stupid.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Manitoba Budget 2018 Summary

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/2018-manitoba-budget-highlights-1.4572273?cmp=rss

- Summary Deficit reduced from $840 in Budget 2017 to $521 million this year
- Provinces net debt hits $25 Billion, Debt Servicing over $1 billion a year now
- Base person exemption goes up by CPI this year, $1010 next year, $1010 year after(Tax Savings of $12 this year and $109 each of the next 2 years, on average)
- :siren: 1% PST CUT PLANNED FOR 2020, ALSO AN ELECTION YEAR :siren:
- Small Business exemption up by $50,000, saves small business $6000/year
- Carbon Tax starts Sept 1st, projected revenues are $143m this year, $248m/year by 2020
- $152 million cut from highway funding
- Health care increased 0.9% which is less than inflation
- Education funding increased 0.5% which is less than inflation
- 5 New P3 schools(1 in Brandon, 4 in Winnipeg), construction starts ???????
- Ambulance fees cut(for those who still have access) $85 to $340, 60 new full-time paramedic positions opening somewhere
- Addictions foundation funding cut 2.7m
- $250 deductible cut from education property tax credit(credit now starts at 0$ rather than $250)
- Carbon Taxes are exempt for agriculture sector, fishing, forestry, mining and other sectors

These things

Funding for more than 700 child care spaces, most of which have already been announced. There's also a child care centre development tax credit for businesses (other than child care centres) that create new licensed child care spaces, which will get a $10,000 benefit per new infant or preschool space, claimable over five years.

The small business venture capital tax credit will be easier to get, with the revenue cap limiting the size of eligible corporations being eliminated and the minimum lowered to $10,000 from $20,000.

Credit unions' special lower tax rate will be phased out starting in 2019, costing the co-operative financial institutions $800,000 to start and $15 million by 2020. That will be partially offset by elimination of the one per cent profits tax, which will cost the government $300,000.

The rental housing construction tax will be eliminated by Jan. 1, 2019.

DariusLikewise fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Mar 12, 2018

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

PT6A posted:

Increasing the basic personal exemption does nothing for low-income people

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Increasing the basic personal exemption does nothing for low-income people

How do you figure that?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

PT6A posted:

How do you figure that?

It's worth about 10$ a year to low-income people and about 10x that to high-income people, it's incredibly regressive

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

It's worth about 10$ a year to low-income people and about 10x that to high-income people, it's incredibly regressive

My mistake, you're right. I interpreted it as "you pay no tax on the first X amount of your income" but it's not, because that would actually make sense.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Also consider that School Funding is only being increased by 0.5% over last year, School Board will now have to raise mill rates to compensate which raises Property Taxes and rents to some extent. Hydro rates are going up 3% a year and being pumped back into general revenues which hits poor people the hardest and on top of that anyone who has to drive to work gets hit with a 5.3 cent increase per litre of gas.

Brian Pallister and the Manitoba PCs just laid a giant turd on the heads of low-income earners and Manitoba and are telling them it's gold

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Also consider that School Funding is only being increased by 0.5% over last year, School Board will now have to raise mill rates to compensate which raises Property Taxes and rents to some extent. Hydro rates are going up 3% a year and being pumped back into general revenues which hits poor people the hardest and on top of that anyone who has to drive to work gets hit with a 5.3 cent increase per litre of gas.

Why is it that when we talk about pipelines, we need to SHUT IT ALL DOWN NOW!!! but discouraging fossil-fuelled vehicle use is bad?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

PT6A posted:

My mistake, you're right. I interpreted it as "you pay no tax on the first X amount of your income" but it's not, because that would actually make sense.

Wait, that's not what it is?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

PT6A posted:

Why is it that when we talk about pipelines, we need to SHUT IT ALL DOWN NOW!!! but discouraging fossil-fuelled vehicle use is bad?

Did you read the summary above, almost all high-fuel industries in Manitoba are exempt from the carbon tax. So really the are just hitting individuals with a 5.3 cent per litre increase in gasoline and giving it to companies, another regressive tax that will do nothing to change emissions.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HookShot posted:

Wait, that's not what it is?

It offsets your total taxable income. If you earn less than the top of the first bracket, then it's the same thing. If you earn more than that, it's effectively reducing the amount you pay in your top bracket.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Did you read the summary above, almost all high-fuel industries in Manitoba are exempt from the carbon tax. So really the are just hitting individuals with a 5.3 cent per litre increase in gasoline and giving it to companies, another regressive tax that will do nothing to change emissions.

Maybe people will drive less or buy more fuel efficient cars? I mean, a carbon tax should be universal, but I find it very difficult to be upset about any form of carbon pricing.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

PT6A posted:

Maybe people will drive less or buy more fuel efficient cars? I mean, a carbon tax should be universal, but I find it very difficult to be upset about any form of carbon pricing.

Maybe those people who just got a $10 yearly tax break can go out and buy some new hybrids

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: Cutting our highway funds. Anyone ever driven on em? Hell, coming back across the border it's immediately poo poo.

Leaving out the people who use the most carbon and putting on the population. Like, gently caress you dude.

Goddamn.

PT6A posted:

:lol: In a city with no subway? With a shoddy transit system? In a province that gets well below freezing for 4-5 months of the year?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Vintersorg posted:

:lol: In a city with no subway? With a shoddy transit system? In a province that gets well below freezing for 4-5 months of the year?

Have you considered investing in transit?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TIL that climate change will kill us all, but under no circumstances should we discourage personal vehicle use by pricing in externalities :rolleyes:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why don't the poors just buy better cars or buy a house closer to their job? :shrug:

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

LMAO Here we go.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Transit funding is flat in this budget so it's going to exasperate that problem as well

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

PT6A posted:

TIL that climate change will kill us all, but under no circumstances should we discourage personal vehicle use by pricing in externalities :rolleyes:

"Climate change will kill us all, so let's gently caress over the poor first" said the well off guy

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Powershift posted:

Why don't the poors just buy better cars or buy a house closer to their job? :shrug:

Sounds like they need to pull-up their bootstraps and take on some debt to save the world

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

Transit funding is flat in this budget

Yeah, see, that seems like a really big issue right there

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

I keep re-reading your post PT6A and it keeps making me laugh, so thanks for the chuckle

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You want a Carbon Tax plan that will stop Climate Change? $50/Tonne, no exemptions, all the money goes towards finishing Rapid Transit routes in Winnipeg and lowering fare costs in all cities across Manitoba.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

You want a Carbon Tax plan that will stop Climate Change? $50/Tonne, no exemptions, all the money goes towards finishing Rapid Transit routes in Winnipeg and lowering fare costs in all cities across Manitoba.

Sounds good. I agree the carbon tax doesn't go far enough.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

PT6A posted:

Sounds good. I agree the carbon tax doesn't go far enough.

It's not that the Carbon Tax plan that was just submitted doesn't go far enough, it's that it literally does nothing. It's a tax transfer from poor people to business and the rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Right now transit fare is:

$2.95 ($3.00 really unless everyone is bringing a couple extra dimes)/ride.
$2.60 for a single ticket.
$23.40 Mon - Fri
$26 Sun - Sat
$100.10 monthly

And while it's a bit cheaper than taking my car I also carpool. Also need to leave earlier and then be at the whim of the bus. Hopefully, home by 530-6. I know, I know - first world problems. And while im no coal roller I get the carbon tax and I am willing to pay for it. I just am angry that the businesses that use way more than I ever will are exempt.