Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
A novel solution to GRRM’s difficulties in writing two more books:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Lol I mean as long as we are talking about theoretical books that will never be written, why not 10 books? Why not 20!?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Guy A. Person posted:

Lol I mean as long as we are talking about theoretical books that will never be written, why not 10 books? Why not 20!?

Agreed. If GRRM takes 15 years to write one book, then clearly he can write 10 books in five years. That math checks out.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

chaosapiant posted:

Agreed. If GRRM takes 15 years to write one book, then clearly he can write 10 books in five years. That math checks out.

Well in some ways just saying gently caress it and not worrying about tight plotting and stuff would free him up. If he was doing any writing at all, it might be weirdly easier to write 3 schlocky poorly-paced books than 1 or 2 tightly wound ones.

He's not doing either, obviously.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

Well in some ways just saying gently caress it and not worrying about tight plotting and stuff would free him up. If he was doing any writing at all, it might be weirdly easier to write 3 schlocky poorly-paced books than 1 or 2 tightly wound ones.

This does have a certain logic to it because being wedded to just two final books to close all of the sprawling plot threads he introduced without taking unsatisfactory shortcuts like the show is probably impossible. However he was under absolutely no such constraints and pressure when he took 11 years between 2000 and 2011 to write 80% of one book so lmao

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

its an honor to close out another year of no new book with you nerds

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

banned from Starbucks posted:

Rooting for a new Not a Blog Post that is 3500 words about tv shows and one sentence saying how he’s still working on Winds but there’s still a lot to go.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

Here's to an infinite number more between now and the heat death of the universe! :buddy:

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
the reason the books have taken so long is finally now grrm can publish the story of Winnie the pooh targareyan. expect lots of progress in the coming months

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Forever I'll be curious as to what a 77 course meal is supposed to look like. Is everyone getting an itty bitty morsel of whatever meat or pie and a thimblefull of whatever soup they bring out?

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

If it's like the Harvest Feast in the Bran chapter, the king/host gets dibs at everything, then dispatches whatever's left to other tables and then leftovers circulate. Quality and quantity of dishes dispatched to a particular guest as a mark of favor.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I'm more talking about how the body handles 77 dishes of food. Even if you only eat half a bite of each you'd probably be fit to burst less than a third through the feast

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

It doesn't. There's 77 dishes total, but not all dishes go to every table (except the king's), and you can pass dishes. At least that's how I understand it.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Like a Brazilian barbecue with the gauchos presenting every cut of meat to every table, but with lemonfingers and spicy sweet dornish chitlins or whatever.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
I assume its more like meze than a taster menu.

Everything comes in its own bowl, like peppers and other vegetables constitute 14 "courses" a cut of beef fillet is one course, like 1 slice.

A toast is usually made to the king per course tho.

TERFherder
Apr 26, 2010

уôðр ò шúурþòі úуûьúø

pseudanonymous posted:

What drives me crazy about these discussions is that it is based on the assumption that GRRM is telling even a lick of truth. Him saying "There will be x books" is meaningless. Because the second he needs there to be more or less books, that is what will happen. Even if he _were_ writing, everything he says about the series is a throw away comment. I mean I get why people discuss this stuff ( It's not like we have books to discuss )but whenever I see a tweet like that, it triggers some deep down spark of anger, and makes me want to slap someone.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

However he was under absolutely no such constraints and pressure when he took 11 years between 2000 and 2011 to write 80% of one book so lmao

Yeah, and I'm pretty confident his publisher isn't going to start exercising editorial control NOW, at the end of things. And he certainly isn't capable of doing it himself.

You know, i will give him this - it gets harder to do poo poo as you age. He was in his mid 40s writing the first books. The reality is that post 50 you just aren't the same person you were in your 30s and 40s. More experience - but less raw energy, less focus, less flexibility. I've been told that traditionally 40-60 is sort of "peak male" in the corporate structure. And for GRRM this seems to have been true. He's landed his biggest deals, had his most exposure.

But 60-80 is a different story. You can't put in the same hours, your focus and memory get worse, your health becomes a real issue, your brain is literally shrinking. And somewhere around 80 old people hit a wall. Time to pay the piper for everything you did in your youth. It's the stroke, the blood clot in your leg, yet another knee replacement surgery, prostate cancer, blown out cartilage between your vertebrate, forgetting your grandkid's names, irrational financial decisions and the lot. You probably shouldn't be driving a car. That is life at 80.

GRRM's window to wrap this poo poo up closed 10 years ago i think. Even if he lives to 110, there is no way he can maintain the focus to juggle all the plot threads and keep creating in a meaningful sense. At 73 he's probably already in "have to take naps in the afternoon" phase of his life. He's surely not in a "time to really bear down and work harder than I've worked in my entire life" phase.

If he wanted to get his opus finished, he'd need a team to assist him, writing under his ( or more likely someone else's ) direction. Where someone else maps poo poo out with his assistance, and then tasks writers. GRRM continues to exercise creative control, and writes special areas that are meaningful to him in between naps and food. Basically a team takes this past the finish line. It would be nice if he did this, because otherwise it'll happen after his death, and that will suck rear end.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I’m 41 and take naps in the afternoon. Naps are the loving best.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
The funniest thing to me is the belief that when/if Gurm dies he'll leave behind a wealth of ASOIAF material equalling or even surpassing for example Tolkien's legendarium or everything Greg Stafford wrote about Glorantha, but the difference is that those dudes spent half a century on that stuff just because they wanted to make up an entire goddamn fictional mythology (with the fantasy world coming pretty much as a bonus along with it)

But in reality there will be NOTHING, at most a notebook filled with bad drawings of naked ladies

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I'm sure Grrm has a lot of abandoned chapters and napkin notes lying around that will be made into a little booklet after he dies. I just wish he would get some ghostwriter to finish the books before that happens.

Since he's not doing that, either he's too vain to give his big claim to fame into someone else's hands, or he honestly has no idea how to finish the story.

I think the authors that kept producing good content until very old often had children that were "helping", like Christopher Tolkien or Pratchett's daughter. So Grrm certainly didn't set himself up for success in that angle.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Bad Thread has gotten softer about what it thinks will be found after GRRM's death.

I remember the days when
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3104213&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=474#post381809734

Fly Molo posted:

bitmap posted:

What is he doing at all these cons anyway? Is he speaking or signing poo poo or sitting on panels or something? If so, how does he handle everyone asking him when or if he's going to actually write something and not just do a robert jordan and die mid series because he's so loving fat and old?

That's an unfair comparison. Robert Jordan died with almost his entire series completed, a competant successor chosen, and a dickload of notes on what happens in the last books and how.

GRRM is going to die with ASOIF half-finished, a will that actively impedes people from taking over the series, and the 'notes' that forensic investigators will find among his estate will consist of the word 'LEMONCAKES' smeared in human feces and a prepubescent corpse handcuffed to a bare mattress.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Many of these posters weren't even registered then.

Plus the show faceplanting finally helped relieve some of the pressure.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I wonder how Hodor/hold the door would've worked in other languages

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I guess the game would've been given away if for example, in Spanish he went Derta

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

ALLAN LASSUS posted:

The funniest thing to me is the belief that when/if Gurm dies he'll leave behind a wealth of ASOIAF material equalling or even surpassing for example Tolkien's legendarium or everything Greg Stafford wrote about Glorantha, but the difference is that those dudes spent half a century on that stuff just because they wanted to make up an entire goddamn fictional mythology (with the fantasy world coming pretty much as a bonus along with it)

But in reality there will be NOTHING, at most a notebook filled with bad drawings of naked ladies

https://www.theonion.com/the-con-pays-off-after-years-of-feigning-interest-geo-1845800147

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Calaveron posted:

I wonder how Hodor/hold the door would've worked in other languages

Man, my friend that I was watching the show with back in the day thought that reveal was the most awesome mind-blowing poo poo ever. I remember being like, well, it makes sense, I suppose, but it's a bit... Out of left field? Arbitrary? I couldn't really articulate what about it was not working for me without sounding like I was trying to poo poo all over it for the sake of it, so I just put it down to me having a "wrong frame-of-mind for this" day. I had in a previous season started entertaining the notion that maybe the show wasn't as good as it used to be, but hadn't really admitted to myself that that was what I really thought, since we were both enjoying watching and talking about the episodes afterwards. I think it was when Stannis burned his daughter alive I started really questioning the bullshit. But then an episode like Hardholme would drop and I'd be all in again. It was a confusing time.

By the end of season 8 of course, we were firmly both on the same page. But I always find it an interesting thing to talk about with that show: "when did you first start to realise it was turning? What was the straw, or the plot-point/event, or the line or the episode that really made you think "what am I even watching here?"

It's like talking about Breaking Bad: "When did you turn on Walt?" Everyone has their own point on their first watch of that show where they truly realise they're rooting for the bad guy (and some never do) and it's really interesting to see when everyone's cutoff point is.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

For me, there were early signs that something was up with the writing, like Tywin noping out of Harrenhal after acknowledging that he had a highborn Northern girl as his servant. Then there was the awful Dorne plot which I just sighed to and hoped they would just do better in the future. Then there was The Battle of the Bastards which had a bunch of nonsensical poo poo in it.

It was finally Beyond the Wall where I lost hope for the show. None of what anyone was doing made any sense, the writers were still in love with writing back dialogues/monologues about cocks, and it was all revealed to be pointless in the next episode. I was resigned to just finish the series and never get heavily invested in a show or movie series again.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Remember how one season ends with Sansa wearing a comedically evil witch queen dress probably signifying that under Littlefinger's tutelage she would become the one Stark who wasn't a stupid idiot moron but then next season she just gets tossed at Ramsey to be done whatever he wants to? I imagine that transition soured a lot of people too.
Like her dress was black with spiked shoulders. All it was missing was like a snake curled around her arm and a magic mirror

Also remember how the ironborn raid Winterfell to rescue Theon and are fully armed and equipped with weapons specifically designed to be thrown really hard, and they run into Ramsey who is literally shirtless showing off his big meaty flank slowly unlocking the dog cages and the ironborn flee like they were confederate soldiers?

EDIT: I'm watching right now the scene where Jon gets TK'd and it's comedic how five different people queue up to stab him and he just stands there with his piehole agape

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

TERFherder posted:

At 73 he's probably already in "have to take naps in the afternoon" phase of his life.

What does it say about me if I'm in my 30s and in that phase already

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
For me I think it was that stupid failed Theon rescue mission by Yara.

I was still a believer too but I just could not justify that: the scene was terrible and everything on it absolute nonsense, and also it had no consequence, no reason to exist

edit: also the whole Arya vs the Girl was dumb as gently caress, that whole John mission where the faces The Legend of Gin Alley was also incredible stupid, but at least kinda funny. And than, of course, Dorne

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jan 5, 2022

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Hey the show still had some flashes of brilliance later on like uh, the trainwreck of a scene between Greyworm, Missandei and Tyrion, the true meeting of the minds

Just desperately trying to squeeze an interesting scene out of these three people.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cactus posted:

Man, my friend that I was watching the show with back in the day thought that reveal was the most awesome mind-blowing poo poo ever. I remember being like, well, it makes sense, I suppose, but it's a bit... Out of left field? Arbitrary? I couldn't really articulate what about it was not working for me without sounding like I was trying to poo poo all over it for the sake of it, so I just put it down to me having a "wrong frame-of-mind for this" day.
"Arbitrary" is the closest.

It answers a question that never needed an answer and only serves to shrink and demystify the setting further.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Dorne was (I think - was it Dorne?) where I bailed on the books as well. The start of book 4 to be precise. This was just after season 1 had aired, I'd watched it and thought it was the best new show I'd seen in ages, so bought all of the books and started getting caught up. I zipped through the first three like a man possessed and then book four hit and it was a whole new setting with all new characters... all I wanted was to return to the characters and scenarios I'd been so riveted by for three long books, and I knew it was going to be a long, long time before that was going to happen, so I just kind of lost the will to read and fell off it. Really glad I did now, considering how it's all turned out, on both the book and the show side of things.

Those first three books were something else, though, and he should've wrapped it up there.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I can confirm that at least in Latin American Spanish Hodor's name is still Hodor, despite only saying Hodor is still dubbed, and the phrase is "déjalo cerrado" which would translate into "leave it closed" and it goes from déjalo cerrado to jalo ado to jado to Hodor so that makes sense

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
HBO's subtitles are usually cheaply done poo poo and GOT subtitles are no exception, I usually watch their shows with English subs but I checked what the Hodor thing was in Finnish and Swedish

Mind you, I haven't read the books in either language, only in English, but afaik Hodor's name is Hodor in both (and why wouldn't it be since the "reveal" hasn't happened in the books lol), the show subs translate the hold the door schtick in Finnish as "Pitele ovea", a literal translation that has nothing to do with Hodor and they don't even try – the end of the scene where hold the door morphs into hodor doesn't have any subs at all, so the translator who's probably some 20-year-old student who gets paid peanuts thought "yeah gently caress it, not worth my time to figure this one out"

In Swedish it's "Håll dörren", again a literal translation but it works as the final scene subs go "Håll dörren... Håll dörr... Hådör... Hodor" so that's fine

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
Would be interesting to see how they'll do it in the book translations though since at least the Finnish translations are considered to be quite decent in quality and they can't really just skip it like in the subs, but that's not gonna happen ever

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I remember reading in this very thread, a list of rumours about the then upcoming season of GoT. I just chortled merrily at how absurd and stupid it all was, like the most basic and simplest resolution to everything, there was no way they would actually do any of that stuff.
Of course, every stupid detail on that list turned out to be true, and then when a similar list leaked for the least season, I knew the ending would be a complete trainwreck.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Happy No-New-Book year everyone.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Whizzing Wizard posted:

I remember reading in this very thread, a list of rumours about the then upcoming season of GoT. I just chortled merrily at how absurd and stupid it all was, like the most basic and simplest resolution to everything, there was no way they would actually do any of that stuff.
Of course, every stupid detail on that list turned out to be true, and then when a similar list leaked for the least season, I knew the ending would be a complete trainwreck.

This happened 3 seasons in a row and still I couldn’t believe it.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I do remember a set of spoilers that said that Dany died and they paraded her corpse in King's Landing where people threw crap at her and that never happened (I think? I blocked a lot of the late seasons out of my memory)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos

Whizzing Wizard posted:

It was a bit confusing because there were many leaks for seasons five, six and seven, including what appeared to be the original outlines for some episodes as written by Benioff and Weiss (Weiss probably wrote them alone while Benioff was sitting there being smug) and it was all pretty distinctive, poorly written with some script directions that don't make sense and can't be conveyed by the actors and a tossing of juvenile whdeonesque humor, and they were authentic, but then for season 8 a similar document was leaked that was written in very much the same manner but almost all of the plot points were somewhat off, like some beats were correct (Dany going bad) while others were very wrong (Bran dying in episode 2).

I still don't know if it was a forgery or just a leak of a very early draft.

D&Ds outlines did read like they were written by excited children