Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I rarely read professional reviews of albums. I feel like listener reviews are more reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

40 lbs to freedom posted:

i mean there is an endless amount of pitchfork cringe basically anything at all written on the site before like 2015. idk when they got bought by conde nast but whoever forced them to stop writing radiohead reviews as long form experimental poetry or whatever deserves some credit

The one specific writer who wrote the infamous Kid A review also wrote a lot of the other really infamous ones, so when he left, that automatically made the site a lot more palatable... if also less interesting. (I remember when he left because most of the Beastie Boys To the 5 Boroughs review was just his longform journal entry explaining why he was leaving.)

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Put some respect on Brent’s name please. His reviews ruled. I honestly do think the actual text of pitchfork reviews has been the one thing that has consistently been good, even the weird old ones were fun and worth reading even if when they were prose madness like the dicrescenzo bangers.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Escobarbarian posted:

Honestly RIP Pitchfork. They’ve been a joke in some ways for a while but they still had some really good poo poo including their Sunday reviews and as bad as they could be every other music site has always been worse so I think this still sux

yeah you can make all the goop on ya grinch jokes and roll your eyes when they bury a new album by a band they used to like because they're popular now you want, and I will make those same jokes. I never LOVED pitchfork and found some of their writers annoying. But it sucks to see yet another publication that had a perspective and a niche get dumpstered, and their reviews and year end lists invariably introduced me to things i wouldn't have heard about to given a shot to otherwise.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Ah, nothing like the retrospective “we poo poo on something that ended up popular, oops” re-review to confirm that a music publication has passed its expiration date. The originator of this is rolling stone giving negative reviews to Led Zeppelin’s entire catalog lol

i think this is sort of unfair. first off, those two reviews are by different people. two writers for the same publication are under no obligation to write to a party line, and in fact it's cool that pitchfork would publish both perspectives. And there's nothing wrong with changing your mind about a piece of art, even if we can kind of speculate that the change, towards the positive or the negative, is partially motivated by changing consensus.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That is more grace then I would personally offer to the site that published this:

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/pitchfork-reviews-rescored/

With no input from the people who wrote the original reviews. It’s reshaping their editorial stance on things because they don’t feel like what they did originally fits the proper narrative any more. It’s cowardly

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That is more grace then I would personally offer to the site that published this:

https://pitchfork.com/features/lists-and-guides/pitchfork-reviews-rescored/

With no input from the people who wrote the original reviews. It’s reshaping their editorial stance on things because they don’t feel like what they did originally fits the proper narrative any more. It’s cowardly

if they took down the old reviews i'd agree, but you can go and read the guy call andrew w.k. "tard rock" right now. i just did!

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
https://web.archive.org/web/20040810064854/www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/c/coltrane_john/live-at-the-village-vanguard.shtml

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Tard rock lol. It is pretty funny that the same publication acted like japandroids was much different than AWK.

(Japandroids were actually good)

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

who the gently caress reads gq by the way

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

i think this is sort of unfair. first off, those two reviews are by different people. two writers for the same publication are under no obligation to write to a party line, and in fact it's cool that pitchfork would publish both perspectives.

That is generally a good rule, but Pitchfork literally does have a party line (the staff decides on a score) and then assigns a reviewer to write it.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Henchman of Santa posted:

That is generally a good rule, but Pitchfork literally does have a party line (the staff decides on a score) and then assigns a reviewer to write it.

lmao i did not know that about their process, retracted

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
i always thought it was the inverse: an editor writes a review and other editor(s) assign a score based on the content of the review

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
It's been bad for a while but it's really funny how lately pretty much everything hovers around 7.5

The Quietus is good tho

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I personally havent read a review in awhile, but i'll give a spin to a best new music or a best new track if its not a top 40 artist

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Lmao I forgot about Goop on ya Grinch.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

i always thought it was the inverse: an editor writes a review and other editor(s) assign a score based on the content of the review

no its a community thing thats how you get like mmlp getting a 9.5 but then the review is entirely negative

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

i remember reading at one point that the score was based on the avg of multiple editors input but the written review was just one person

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

thathonkey posted:

i remember reading at one point that the score was based on the avg of multiple editors input but the written review was just one person

This is correct BUT it’s also not something that pitchfork publicized, this is something a previous staff member posted somewhere. But I doubt they would have a reason to lie about that

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Very annoying day at work. Thankful for the job, but one thing can really take it out of your sails.

Shout out rap music. Hand claps never bummed me out.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

This is correct BUT it’s also not something that pitchfork publicized, this is something a previous staff member posted somewhere. But I doubt they would have a reason to lie about that

that was also in the early days before they had more corporate influence and money

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Certified Clapper gang tag when?

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

i'll cosign this

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Vargatron posted:

i'll cosign this

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
All 6 of fbg duck’s killers were found guilty and get mandatory life sentences. They turned down a plea for 55 years so I’m sure the sentencing is gonna be wild.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...apphireappshare

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Vargatron posted:

Lmao I forgot about Goop on ya Grinch.

An all timer imo

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

lol

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

I'd never seen this before and I was wondering why you posted a link via archive instead of their main site, since it seems to still have old reviews. But now I know why, lol

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
That’s the founder of pitchfork too lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

im glad theyre dead

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

i miss when websites looked like that

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
50 posts in here about Pitchfork dying and absolutely no mention of it in the indie rock thread lol.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I don't wanna be the one to tell em

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
lol gently caress no

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

whos that broooown posted:

50 posts in here about Pitchfork dying and absolutely no mention of it in the indie rock thread lol.

To be fair pitchfork no longer covers indie rock so it makes sense. Now if stereogum or Brooklyn Vegan close shop then things will be really hosed

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

LMAFO

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
yo gently caress this dude

https://x.com/valentinavee/status/1748163056344109359?s=20

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

literally who is this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

:chloe: