Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Masked Carnival 32 is kinda bullshit. You can kind of just get dealt a lovely if not impossible hand by golgo rush.

Many frustrating attempts later (a fair amount me just being bad) I finally have the Blu 80 quest done and a fancy umbrella.

I turned on mighty guard when he started the rush, lets you take a hit and not die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Qwertycoatl posted:

I turned on mighty guard when he started the rush, lets you take a hit and not die

I moonfluted through it. Diamondback also apparently an option but I didn't feel like risking the vuln stacks.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Is there any reward to doing the island sanctuary stuff beyond "having a cool island sanctuary" and getting whatever furniture and stuff you can buy with the currency? I just did all the intro stuff up through building a workshop (and expanded my farm/livestock area once), but I could see keeping up with all the gathering to keep the workshop going maybe getting annoying later as you have to travel further out.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Ytlaya posted:

Is there any reward to doing the island sanctuary stuff beyond "having a cool island sanctuary" and getting whatever furniture and stuff you can buy with the currency? I just did all the intro stuff up through building a workshop (and expanded my farm/livestock area once), but I could see keeping up with all the gathering to keep the workshop going maybe getting annoying later as you have to travel further out.

You can buy a lot of good stuff with the currency, but other than that and the cosmetic unlocks and story, it's fully optional. Don't worry about it if it's not moving you.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

The Island Cowries I earn from Island Sanctuary lets me buy and flip 500k-1mil worth of crafting materia every couple weeks, which is pretty steady income for almost zero work. Plus if your luck is good with the sanctuary material containers you can earn you can get extra mounts/rare dye to flip for more gil as a treat.

MadFriarAvelyn fucked around with this message at 22:39 on May 11, 2024

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The biggest reason to keep it going for casual players is that you get, effectively, permanently free rare dyes like Gunmetal and Ruby Red for almost no effort, and there's almost always going to be demand for them even if you have no use for them yourself.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

as you go up through the levels, there's more stuff to get, and also a series of visitors will come to the island and there's fun and gifts and closure for certain minor plotlines. it's fun and doesn't take a lot of effort in the grand scheme of things. just don't rush it. trying to grind it all out instantly is certain doom. towards the end of the progression, it practically takes care of itself.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

If you just want to see the story and get the glams you can do it all with very minimal effort. Once you unlock granaries, if you're not in a hurry they can do all the gathering you need (apart from collecting each mat once to unlock it), and the island experience points you get from workshops doesn't depend on what you build, so you can just fill every slot with things which use mats you have a ton of

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

goblin week posted:

What do I even do now. Apart from post-patch.

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

Well, if you liked Ultima Thule and all its civs you should absolutely do the Gathering Beast Tribe there if you have a gatherer at 80, won't disappoint.

If you've done the StB raid series, the Omega set, there's a yellow sidequest in Old Sharlayan called A Heartless Hypothesis you should check out.

If for no other reason than it's where you get the Flow Together orchestrion roll. (It's the song that plays during the Elpis solo duty.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC_nYXvzJ-8

Logic Probed
Feb 26, 2011

Having a normal one since 2016

EDit: Oops, wrong thread I think.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Golbez EX sucks so bad. I hate this goddamn fight so much :argh:

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Macaluso posted:

(for the sixtieth time this night alone) I will free us from the wheel!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Ferrinus posted:

(for the sixtieth time this night alone) I will free us from the wheel!

He's just trying to free his homies from samsara

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 12, 2024

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

GolbEx sucks, but only because he won't give me his cat.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Macaluso posted:

My static started working on learning his fight about a month ago and we got our first clear a little less than 2 weeks ago.
We've been enjoying the fight, granted we've spent the past few months farming Rubicante, so we're mostly just grateful for the change of pace.

Honestly, I think the worst parts are when you have to partner up, and that part where you have to avoid the meteors that fall in a line.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Macaluso posted:

it actually owns sorry

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Golbez might be the second or third best Ex in EW.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
While I don't do EX trials, I think Barb normal is a top 3 trial in the game. It is so much loving fun.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked Zeromus EX a lot, but it was very easy lol

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
ZeroEx was a fun fight. On the easy side but that's fine.

For what it's worth, my favourite two ex fights are probably the 89 and barb. Probably followed by Golbez. 83 and Zero are just fun fights in the middle. ES is boring and Rubi was pretty bad.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

GolbEx is a great fight, but my sympathies if you are trying to prog it in PF.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

my extreme ranking

1. barb, goes hard as gently caress, genuinely novel and exciting pace
2. golbez, fight is just fun (unless you have meteor/tower memes)
3. zeromus, the mechanics are easy but it's very satisfying, idk why.
4. endsinger and hydalyn are fights, i suppose.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
Golbez was my first on content extreme clear (in PF no less) so it will always have a special place in my heart but after clearing Barbie EX literally today I think it's the better fight. I wish I had been ready to do hard content when it was current.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
people dislike rubicante but i think he's pretty neat. :shobon: he's no barb or golb though that's for sure.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

God loving dammit. Start fighting the last boss for my 5th Command Mission and my internet drops out.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Zeruel posted:

people dislike rubicante but i think he's pretty neat. :shobon: he's no barb or golb though that's for sure.

Rubicante has some good stuff but the problem is the lines mechanic takes so long and once you've learned the patterns it's super easy. So when you're progging the latter mechanics or farming you spend over half the fight waiting around for lines to resolve.

Also the limit cut mechanic is a really cool example of it's kind, but its late enough to be skippable which is sad.

leaptosleep
Jun 13, 2023
is masked carnivale pronounced like carnival or does it rhyme with locale?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

leaptosleep posted:

is masked carnivale pronounced like carnival or does it rhyme with locale?

The Italian pronunciation does neither, it goes /kar.neˈva.le/ ("kar-neh-VAH-leh"). Most English speakers would probably just say carnival.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

im excited for dawntrail, hope a fresh area gets me back into the story, i really didnt like endwalker for some reason, didnt really strike any chords with me and i quit almost right after finishing the main story.

also means i only have 2 level 90 characters, i need to get leveling

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Arist posted:

I liked Zeromus EX a lot, but it was very easy lol

my favourite part of zeromus ex is when people don't quite align their meteors correctly, so someone is forced to make the choice between taking an L and being easily and quickly rezzed with no further repercussions, or killing themselves and everyone in the raid

without fail everyone will always pick the latter

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Since no one else has mentioned it I need to chime in and say Zodiark EX was my favorite, AND it had the best voice lines

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House
EW Extremes for me
1. Barb - Don't need to mention anything else I think. My favorite Extreme fight so far (started playing in ShB)
2. Hydaelyn - Just a good time all around for me. Thought it was a good intro fight for people new to harder content in EW as it covers basic stuff like clock spots, light party stacks, and role based mechanics. Use of line of sight to avoid damage was cool.
3. Endsinger - A good fight but disappointing compared to other end of MSQ extremes as far as spectacle goes. No second phase, no music change, no visual spectacle like Shinryu's tail run. 5head and not-Intermediate Relativity are mechanics I like, blue planet knockback into red planet aoe I don't like but at least can be cheesed with tank LB3.
4. Golbez - Just okay to me. Another knockback mechanic that I don't like. Nothing else really notable for me. Gales 2 is a pain point for most groups but can also be tank LBd through at least.
5. Zodiark - Being able to follow one person who can decipher the safe spots, or being the person to lead everyone around, wasn't that fun for me.

Haven't done Rubi or Zeromus yet.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I love this game - some friends got alts to 50 and we realized they could use some better gear (one still had daggers from like level 30 or something) - they didn't really have the poetics to get ironworks gear, but they had gone through the Coils to see the story so I realized I could just blast through some final coils unsync and get them a full set of 130 gear rather then trying to farm up poetics. It dawned on me that I can also do this with alex raids if they get stuff to 60 and dont have the poetics to get a full set.

e: and I came back from AFKing to notice a miqote who picked the same hair style & colour as me, and is the same job as me, has went afk right beside me.

oh lol, I think they're even a goon (in PBC)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 12, 2024

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

queeb posted:

im excited for dawntrail, hope a fresh area gets me back into the story, i really didnt like endwalker for some reason, didnt really strike any chords with me and i quit almost right after finishing the main story.

also means i only have 2 level 90 characters, i need to get leveling

It's not too bad imho I only leveled BLM from ARR, HW, and I finally started healing/tanking in SB for a bit.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Finished my command missions and sent my guys on the rank-up mission!

I feel like I may have been lucky I already has a set of level 60 squadron guys. I can't remember how bad the grind was for that, though I remember sending them on missions daily back when I first did this stuff.

Edit: I'm pretty sure the Japanese Praetorium Gaius speech is significantly shorter than the English one (though still long as hell), since I almost always load in like 20 seconds before anyone else, and that's the only explanation I can think of (since it never happens for other fights).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 12, 2024

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

What's a good way to farm up skybuilder scripts these days? I'm not sure if I did much of it in the past since i think I had most of my stuff leveled past it when it was new, so I have a lot of pets/mouts/emotes to buy.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ytlaya posted:

Edit: I'm pretty sure the Japanese Praetorium Gaius speech is significantly shorter than the English one (though still long as hell), since I almost always load in like 20 seconds before anyone else, and that's the only explanation I can think of (since it never happens for other fights).
It is (French is shorter as well), it's what people picked to "speedrun" the old, long version.

Oxyclean posted:

What's a good way to farm up skybuilder scripts these days? I'm not sure if I did much of it in the past since i think I had most of my stuff leveled past it when it was new, so I have a lot of pets/mouts/emotes to buy.
Brute-forcing the expert recipes by vastly outgearing them, I think.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
The pro esports speedrunners switch language in the Praetorium on a per-cutscene basis.

Of course, that's the no major glitches route. If you really want it to go fast you force a disconnect, then load back in having skipped the cutscene.

One of the few times I've had abuse hurled at me in FF14 was someone angry that the rest of the party would not all forcibly disconnect ourselves to skip Gaius' monologue like they did. It was so bizarre that I couldn't really be offended at it, just someone who has apparently played so many video games that they lost all sense of how normal humans function.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Xerophyte posted:

The pro esports speedrunners switch language in the Praetorium on a per-cutscene basis.

Of course, that's the no major glitches route. If you really want it to go fast you force a disconnect, then load back in having skipped the cutscene.

This is hilarious. I love speedruns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
No way in hell I'm cutting drink refreshing time short. :colbert: