Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Cleretic posted:

I mean, I'm already on record as the only person around here who prefers playing Sekiro as a stealth game rather than action, so I guess yes, I am having the weirdest Sekiro game? I don't know what a normal Sekiro game's supposed to look like, though. Was Genichiro supposed to be a long, dramatic fight and not just an indecipherable two-minute flurry of R1s and L1s, because that seemed to be a surprise for people, too.

I don't know about "indecipherable" but I don't know how else one would fight Genichiro besides deflecting and attacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Genichiro is a "hahaha stop just slashing at air, idiot, oooh lemme just parry the very last hit of your combo, loser - so you're trying to stab me after our cool anime standoff? GET MIKIRI'D SON" fight until phase two, when he kicks it up a notch an starts trying to stab you and getting mikiri'd from across the arena

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The second phase was just more of that flurry but in worse weather. If there were mechanics, I did not give him breathing room to apply them.

I'm not sure if it's intended for that fight to be such a fast mess of trigger buttons that I could barely tell what was happening except that he died at the end. But I know that people like that fight, and I didn't see the big deal, so I just assume I did it wrong.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Genichiro fight is all about making sure you have a handle on the rapid deflection/parry system so it sounds like you did use the mechanics.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I am very, very confused as to what happened at the end of Sorceress Sellen’s quest line. Ok so you freed her and defeated the guy hunting her so she could usurp and kill Rennala. I saved at a grace point and Rennala is back and now Sellen has turned into a giant metal ball of dude faces.

What the gently caress Fromsoft?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

I am very, very confused as to what happened at the end of Sorceress Sellen’s quest line. Ok so you freed her and defeated the guy hunting her so she could usurp and kill Rennala. I saved at a grace point and Rennala is back and now Sellen has turned into a giant metal ball of dude faces.

What the gently caress Fromsoft?

those giant face-balls are what happen to glintstone sorcerers who overdose on the primal current. she wasn't as great of a wizard as she thought she was

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Oxxidation posted:

those giant face-balls are what happen to glintstone sorcerers who overdose on the primal current. she wasn't as great of a wizard as she thought she was

But
Rennala is back? I thought maybe Rennala turned her into a weird ball of dude faces. Even your explanation above doesn’t really make sense. Is that actually stated somewhere in an item description or something? “don’t muck with the primal current too much or you’ll turn into a weird farting metal ball of dude faces”

I guess I’m overthinking it.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Frank Frank posted:

But
Rennala is back? I thought maybe Rennala turned her into a weird ball of dude faces. Even your explanation above doesn’t really make sense. Is that actually stated somewhere in an item description or something? “don’t muck with the primal current too much or you’ll turn into a weird farting metal ball of dude faces”

You should definitely go check up on her buddy mages that she had you talk to previously.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

But
Rennala is back? I thought maybe Rennala turned her into a weird ball of dude faces. Even your explanation above doesn’t really make sense. Is that actually stated somewhere in an item description or something? “don’t much with the primal current too much or you’ll turn into a weird farting metal ball of dude faces”

yes, the graven talismans:

A talisman depicting a school of graven mages, the nightmare of
the academy.

Raises potency of sorceries.

The primeval current is a forbidden tradition of glintstone
sorcery. To those who cleave to its teachings, the act of collecting
sorcerers to fashion them into the seeds of stars is but another
path of scientific inquiry.

basically sellen was initially locked up for killing tons of her classmates by turning them into graven mages as part of her glintstone research. when she finally got her body back and chose to knuckle under and study the primeval current in full, it immediately overwhelmed her and did the same. hubris 101

rennala probably barely even noticed any of it. the woman has the power of resurrection and her brain is orbiting mars, it's not easy to get her attention

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cleretic posted:

...that was several pages and days ago about a genuine misconception. Did you see that post and just decide to skip ahead for a shallow dunk, or did you remember this and then decide to go back to it for a shallow dunk?

Catching up on the thread.

Cleretic posted:

Both of which, I'm guessing, are fuelled by me not liking an unrelated game that's getting mixed-at-best reviews?

... I actually don't remember why. :eng99: Getting old sucks but I must dunk.

Wait was it bad FF7r opinions? I think it was bad FF7r opinions.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Agents are GO! posted:

Catching up on the thread.

... I actually don't remember why. :eng99: Getting old sucks but I must dunk.

Wait was it bad FF7r opinions? I think it was bad FF7r opinions.

I mean personally, I cooled on the 7 remake once the pixel remasters came out and defused my main criticism of the game (S-E previously only re-released the most recent version of a game unless Nintendo asks otherwise, so a remake would eventually supplant the original even if it's built around the notion of familiarity with the original). I still prefer the original, but the remake is now inoffensive.

I think we've moved on to hating me for Stranger of Paradise opinions, because I think the protagonist is terrible to the point where he literally is the one thing dragging the game down for me. Which is actually not a massively uncommon opinion overall, but said protagonist appeals to exactly the crowd that's on this forum and interested in Final Fantasy, so I'm the odd one out.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
i just hate you because of your long insufferable posts and inability to say anything in less than two paragraphs

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Money, Ignore exists, why you out here bitching bout a poster

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
bitching is enjoyable

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Understandable, have a good day

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I mean personally, I cooled on the 7 remake once the pixel remasters came out and defused my main criticism of the game (S-E previously only re-released the most recent version of a game unless Nintendo asks otherwise, so a remake would eventually supplant the original even if it's built around the notion of familiarity with the original). I still prefer the original, but the remake is now inoffensive.

The incredibly bad job they did on pixel art in the pixel remasters irritates me to no end

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

Someone mentioned Wraith Zones in Immortals Fenyx Rising earlier, and I was pretty early in the game so I hadn't really come across them, but yeah they suuuuuck.

At random intervals, Typhon (big bad) decides you're having too much fun so we should turn this sunny day into a lovely, asteroid filled hellscape while the ghost of Herakles sub boss hunts you down.

Doesn't matter if you're treasure hunting or exploring or what, it's like a big pause button on the fun until you go and do a mini boss fight. Sort of reminds me of the misthios hunters in AC Odyssey but even less fun.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Tunicate posted:

The incredibly bad job they did on pixel art in the pixel remasters irritates me to no end

I'm curious where you think they faltered, because the SNES game sprites looked great to me.

The NES character sprites have a funky look about them, admittedly, because they were paintovers of the NES originals which in retrospect had some odd anatomical decisions. But I don't think they looked bad so much as 'a lot of us were used to the previous 16-bit sprites which took an entirely different direction'.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
With the earlier FF7 complaint about the characterisation of the Turks trying to keep them likeable despite being literal mass murderers, I feel their extra scenes in the aftermath in the remake help with that, because it's obvious that they are just as sick at having been made to do it as the protagonists are that they actually did it. Reno doesn't want to think about it, Rude can't stop talking about it, and Tseng is just rationalising his rear end off trying in vain to help assuage the guilt that they all know that they fully deserve. It feels like it's building to that moment in the original game where they gently caress off to Wutai for a vacation and just don't want to deal with anything right then

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

I think we've moved on to hating me for Stranger of Paradise opinions, because I think the protagonist is terrible to the point where he literally is the one thing dragging the game down for me. Which is actually not a massively uncommon opinion overall, but said protagonist appeals to exactly the crowd that's on this forum and interested in Final Fantasy, so I'm the odd one out.

Was this game even out at the time you posted this?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Len posted:

Lol, the thing dragging it down for me it that it comes out the day AFTER I finish my vacation from work which will require me to work 6 days in a row. Really annoying timing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Len posted:

People have moved on from preordering games to preordering complaints.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Crusader Kings 3 has been good fun, but I do hate that becoming feudal fucks up how much money you get AND that inheritance is purposefully so rubbish at the start of the game. It's just very annoying.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

exquisite tea posted:

People have moved on from preordering games to preordering complaints.

I means goons have been doing that for years. I just wanted to be clear that was what Cleretic was doing

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The little thing dragging games down: My posting enemies.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

posting is the most dangerous game...

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Do people really have honest to god posting enemies? Every time I see that phrase I think about that scene in Billy Madison where Steve Buscemi is crossing names off his “people to kill” list

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Len posted:

That's only really a valid stone to throw when the complaint is something like 'the controls for this game look terrible' or 'some of the trailer gameplay was about getting chased by a ghost, therefore this is the Chased By Ghost Game' that you reasonably can't tell from a brief non-played glimpse.

A complaint about presentation like 'I don't like this character' is a perfectly valid one to have from reveal, because you actually do have an immediate vibe unlikely to be proven wrong at release. And if after multiple trailers, three different playstests/demos, and a number of developer interviews you still have the same complaint, it's fair to assume that your complaint is probably still there in the finished game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Frank Frank posted:

Do people really have honest to god posting enemies? Every time I see that phrase I think about that scene in Billy Madison where Steve Buscemi is crossing names off his “people to kill” list

You're on the list now buddy boy!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cleretic posted:

That's only really a valid stone to throw when the complaint is something like 'the controls for this game look terrible' or 'some of the trailer gameplay was about getting chased by a ghost, therefore this is the Chased By Ghost Game' that you reasonably can't tell from a brief non-played glimpse.

A complaint about presentation like 'I don't like this character' is a perfectly valid one to have from reveal, because you actually do have an immediate vibe unlikely to be proven wrong at release. And if after multiple trailers, three different playstests/demos, and a number of developer interviews you still have the same complaint, it's fair to assume that your complaint is probably still there in the finished game.

Maybe they'll have an arc and get better. It might just be a bad first impression.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

BioEnchanted posted:

Maybe they'll have an arc and get better. It might just be a bad first impression.

To a degree valid, especially from first-trailer responses, there's been some instances of a main character that's changed significantly between first trailer and release (Immediately I think of American Dante, although that wasn't exactly changes for the better). But after multiple trailers and demos and interviews, all of which show the same character traits you don't like, you have to accept that's probably not just a bad first impression and they're genuinely Like That. Even if the excuse is 'they get better'... I mean, that does still mean you have to play as them before they get better, which was the problem in the first place.

(The game has released by now and, if there were still doubt, we do know that he doesn't get better.)

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
If you don't like the kind of protagonist who says "Bullshit." in response to a monologue, then cranks up his phone's music player and walks off, well. That's an opinion you can have.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've started out playing Road Rage on PS4. It's rough but fun, just rampaging around a small town doing little missions that are either races or beating up people or doing stunts. Also the main story of why the world is the way it is is delightfully stupid. It's just an excuse for anarchic motorcycle chases with some silly weapons that you can unlock, like hedge shears and a chainsaw. Haven't unlocked those yet, but it's fun that you can.

Wrong thread, so a thing dragging it down is just how rough the gameplay can be, you have a health bar but it doesn't seem to matter, neither does dying during a mission as normally the missions have a hard timelimit and THAT is the important part, so having a health bar feels kind of vestigial.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I started playing Elden Ring last night and the game cut to a cutscene after I was knocked to half health by the first enemy rather than after it killed me. Let me at least try to flail blindly before declaring me dead.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Cleretic posted:

To a degree valid, especially from first-trailer responses, there's been some instances of a main character that's changed significantly between first trailer and release (Immediately I think of American Dante, although that wasn't exactly changes for the better). But after multiple trailers and demos and interviews, all of which show the same character traits you don't like, you have to accept that's probably not just a bad first impression and they're genuinely Like That. Even if the excuse is 'they get better'... I mean, that does still mean you have to play as them before they get better, which was the problem in the first place.

(The game has released by now and, if there were still doubt, we do know that he doesn't get better.)

A long rpg can't possibly have any sort of arc that leads to a change in character or anything

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Schubalts posted:

If you don't like the kind of protagonist who says "Bullshit." in response to a monologue, then cranks up his phone's music player and walks off, well. That's an opinion you can have.

One of the funnier bits in MGSV is just cranking some tunes and doing base building and tech development busywork the whole time you're sitting in a jeep being monologued at by the villain

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Captain Hygiene posted:

One of the funnier bits in MGSV is just cranking some tunes and doing base building and tech development busywork the whole time you're sitting in a jeep being monologued at by the villain

"Oh, you never knew choice, huh? Interesting. I'm just gonna look at my phone."

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Tunicate posted:

It's amazing how bad VI looked when I scoped the remake. The colors especially are way off

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Frank Frank posted:

I mean, yeah, kind of. People definitely get probed for carrying grudges between threads and other dumb poo poo like that.

And let's be real, it's not that far off from the more commonly accepted "everyone agrees this one poster is a dickbag and dumps on them relentlessly for it" that tends to happen when uh, interesting people decide to brain dump on SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'd like to see a supernatural-centerred action game where the protagonist starts off all super serious but as they gain new abilities courtesy of the friendly spirit realm denizens they start having more fun fighting the bad ones, because the abilities are really satisfying but also because the spirits themselves know how to relax, so that's kind of rubbing off on them. Like an arc that goes from Nioh to Bayonetta.