Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Got invaded while heading to talk to Anri near Wolnir and the fucker threw knives at me until I fell off the rope bridge ladder. Not nice!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Are there any tricks to her or is she just as insanely loving hard as she seems

you can chain stun her forever with emit force until she dies.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOtodxk_jcw

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If fighting Friede solo, you need to play cautiously and reactively, punish her after she makes errors. That punishment can be a backstab. Do note she has a weird grabbox on some of her backstabs, you need to position yourself at the arm which is charging up the weapon.

And yes, her most punishable move is the one where she turns invisible. But she doesn't always jump over your head, she can also jump left and right, she always throws out a puff of snow in the opposite direction she jumps, so use that to keep track of her. So punish it with a backstab, failing that just break her poise with a hitstun. Don't get too greedy, she can quickstep out of hitstuns from a solo player.

Sir Tonk posted:

Got invaded while heading to talk to Anri near Wolnir and the fucker threw knives at me until I fell off the rope bridge ladder. Not nice!

My favorite gravity kill yet was at Cathedral, my target kicked down the ladder near the Curseward Greatshield and I in turn kicked him straight off that ledge.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

giZm posted:

Look I can't parry, ok?! Neither in DS, nor in BB. Sekiro fighting style just didn't click with me.

Ahh, Giz, or some say Gizm...

Do you know how to parry?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Thumbtacks posted:

i'm still convinced the final DLC's boss is one of the best final series bosses in any game, that fight is incredible and thematic

It is. It 100% absolutely is. It it the capstone to their whole thought process behind making 'souls' games and why Sekiro was next and Elden Ring after. That boss is FromSoftware and you are helping put them at rest. I loved beating them and doing it solo made me feel even better :)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
friede is a top tier souls boss. i think the more i've digested ds3 the more i like it, definitely a game that grows on you, it probably has a good half of my favourite souls boss fights.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Friede is my favorite fight in the series.

Gael is top-tier and indeed a fantastic capstone, but the thing that brings it down a little for me personally is that in my first playthrough I had absolutely no idea who the hell this dude even was. That's not uncommon for Souls bosses, but for a final boss I'd have wanted to have a better sense of the who and why. I didn't remember that this was the same person who sent me to Ariandel because that had happened dozens of game hours earlier, and he doesn't even tell you his name when you meet him in the Cathedral - you learn it for the first time from the painter and have to put 1 and 1 together yourself that her "Uncle Gael" is the same guy who sent you into the painting. The way my first run went, there were just too many hours in-between the first meeting to learning his name to fighting him at the end. I'd lost all context for it by that point. It's only after the fight that you get more context from the item descriptions.

Having said all that, I am very dense and bad at piecing together Dark Souls lore, so that doesn't help. And also for people who played these DLCs consecutively as they came out, after having beaten the main game, I imagine it made a bit more sense.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Gael also suffers a bit from not being that hard, whereas Friede really gives you a great From superboss brutalisation

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Can I have both the Cinders Mod AND Vanilla DS3 together? My friend is playing through DS3 and I occasionally co op to help them, but I also wanna try out Cinders.

Can I do this without getting a soft ban / have two save files?

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sway Grunt posted:

Having said all that, I am very dense and bad at piecing together Dark Souls lore, so that doesn't help. And also for people who played these DLCs consecutively as they came out, after having beaten the main game, I imagine it made a bit more sense.

Gonna spare you a Vaati Vidya video but tl;dr Slave Knights were the rank & file when Gwyn & Friends were genociding dragons. Gael is the very last Slave Knight, the dude has seen it all from the very beginning and is waiting for you at the very end seeking any fragment of the Dark Soul he can find for the painter girl. In his second phase he finally goes hollow after literal eons of wandering the crazy world of Dark Souls.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Fat_Cow posted:

Can I have both the Cinders Mod AND Vanilla DS3 together? My friend is playing through DS3 and I occasionally co op to help them, but I also wanna try out Cinders.

I dunno if you could do some dual installation setup and launch from alternate locations for modded or vanilla games, but off a single installation I'm almost certain you cannot. If it helps Cinders kinda sucks anyway, there's some cool changes in their but also a ton of bad or unneccessary poo poo too and you can't walk three steps without fighting another DS2 DLC style npc miniboss who drops an entire set of classic DeS gear that looks completely out of place in the game on defeat

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

lol Earthen Peak callback icu DS3

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Fat_Cow posted:

Yes you can. Cinders uses Modloader, its own folder (inside your DS3 directory) and savegame. To switch between Vanilla and Cinders just move the "dinput8.dll" file out of your Game director to switch to Vanilla, and put it back for Cinders.

In conclusion: point down at multijoe, maybe even put a spin on it.

giZm fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Dec 1, 2021

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
You're going to want to be careful that you definitely moved the mod stuff out of the folders before you go online though, or DS3's anti-cheat will ban you to the naughty boy hacker realm.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
lol what the gently caress

https://i.imgur.com/CoDwpk6.mp4

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

giZm posted:

Yes you can. Cinders uses Modloader, its own folder (inside your DS3 directory) and savegame. To switch between Vanilla and Cinders just move the "dinput8.dll" file out of your Game director to switch to Vanilla, and put it back for Cinders.

In conclusion: point down at multijoe, maybe even put a spin on it.

That is why I used the qualifier 'almost' : P

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The run from this second Ringed City bonfire :psyduck:

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The run from this second Ringed City bonfire :psyduck:

It's brutal. Easy enough to just haul rear end all the way down to the swamp and the third bonfire.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The Harald knight staircase is brutal but not insurmountable. There are so many ways of dealing with them. For large enemies, their one-handed sword swings can be parried, aim to do so against their slow dragging swipe. Large weapons can reliably stagger them out of their attacks. Headshotting them stuns them, and you can reliably do so with a locked on crossbow shot (from the same level, or below them, which is weird). Harald knights are very vulnerable to plunge attacks, which play a grab animation and deal shitload of damage. Use a fire or lightning dagger, and while falling mash R1 so you get into plunge attack grab frames.

Finally, you can just juke all these knights and run straight to the bonfire.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I took some summons and it was still insane. We then got invaded and it took 15 minutes to get them to gently caress off. After having those giant assholes on the steps run around us. Swamp was cool tho.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Staircase you just have to take slow. One of the Heralds goes up to the door, drops down with an audible PLONK, then stays put. You take him out first. Clear the bridge afterwards, then take out two more Heralds by dropping onto their heads. From there just sprint to next Bonfire.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Spears is hands down my favorite covenant and pvp in all the soulses so far. Praying there's something like it in elden ring

I win a bit over half of my encounters, and if i took it more seriously probably more than that because at least half my deaths are from getting greedy or cocky or complacent. I think my biggest advantages are:

• not a lot of people use caestus builds so they're not experienced fighting against them
  • as a result they're also not quite ready for perseverance
  • low stamina cost for attacks means I can constantly sprint to stay in their face and keep up the pressure, also they can't focus on the painting guardian who supports with throwing knives
  • i use the untrue dark ring, which has visibly confused at least 2 opponents so far. one guy had 3 phantoms. i squared up to him, and he looked at me, then turned back around to join his friends beating down the npc instead. free backstab!

Let's go spears baby love da spears

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Thoroughly enjoying Cinders but want to have a chat with whoever decided to toss those extra enemies into the Deacon fight, nearly gave me a heart attack

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I did it! I beat Gael!

In this year, I've beaten all four Souls games! I call it my year of Git Gud, and thanks to VG for inspiring me to do it. I did Bloodborne a few years ago, but never did the Souls games.

Now on to Midir, and holy crap he does not gently caress around... :stare:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Luceo posted:

I did it! I beat Gael!

In this year, I've beaten all four Souls games! I call it my year of Git Gud, and thanks to VG for inspiring me to do it. I did Bloodborne a few years ago, but never did the Souls games.

Grats!

My top 3 tips for midir are to hug his face, run back and to the right when he breathes fire straight down at you, and don't get greedy you can only get in like 1 or 2 attacks per opening most of the time

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Get fastroll for clearing the distance.
Do not summon any phantoms.
Hit or heal, never both in the same attack cycle.
If Midir spews dark and charges his laser beam, run towards his right side (your left)
A 100 phys shield can tank one hit, but it’s really a tradeoff for twohanding.
When the second phase starts, the fight is nearly over. When Midir gets staggered, the fight is over if you get the riposte.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Luceo posted:

I did it! I beat Gael!

Onward to Sekiro!

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

Luceo posted:

I did it! I beat Gael!

bonk him on the head with your +5 Dragonslayer Greataxe or +5 Dragonslayer Spear or +10 Dragonslayer Axe or +5 Dragonslayer Swordspear or +5 Dragonslayer Greatbow or

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Concurred posted:

bonk him on the head with your +5 Dragonslayer Greataxe or +5 Dragonslayer Spear or +10 Dragonslayer Axe or +5 Dragonslayer Swordspear or +5 Dragonslayer Greatbow or

+10 heavy caestus :c00l:

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

+10 heavy caestus :c00l:

*Runs up and takes a swing into the air 10ft away from face*

drat it. Really thought I was there.

Midir's size messes up my perception of distance and I wiff so many shots.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Thanks for all of the Midir advice! :cheers:

Horace Kinch posted:

Onward to Sekiro!

Maybe after Elden Ring. I'm taking a bit of a From break until then for something a little more chill.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Luceo posted:

something a little more chill.

May I suggest a trip to the Majula coast?

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Luceo posted:

I did it! I beat Gael!

Woohoo!! :D I am so happy for you! It truly is a wonderful feeling being able to beat these games and I am so glad you are basking in it!

Gael is S-Tier for me and one of the fights that boosted my confidence the most when I beat him :D You know, because you beat Gael you can easily beat Sekiro too. ;)

Have a wonderful rest! It is most certainly earned.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

VideoGames posted:

Gael is S-Tier for me and one of the fights that boosted my confidence the most when I beat him :D You know, because you beat Gael you can easily beat Sekiro too. ;)

All the Soulsborne games have some bosses like that, really. If you can beat Artorias, Fume Knight, Alonne, the Orphan, heck even Gascoigne for where he is at that point in the game, then you can tackle any challenges the games throw at you.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Sulyvahn is one of the weird bosses where the second phase is easier for me than the first. The cloning animation is pretty long and lets you get a lot of free hits on both of them.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

axolotl farmer posted:

May I suggest a trip to the Majula coast?

:unsmith:

VideoGames posted:

Yeah, he had that effect on me, too. Especially since I had been struggling the night before, and backsliding such that I was having trouble with phase 1 again. Then I sat down the next day and beat him in one try!

As for Sekiro, it's on the list for next year. :hai:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Gael, Midir, Demon Princes, Nameless King, those guys have a ton of health and so act as sustain boss fights where you inevitably learn all their moves and in the end you feel a sense of achievement where you earnt it.

Pontiff Sulyvahn should be like that, but he's not. You either kill him near-instantly or you get caught in his combo and die. To do the former, all you need to do is parry his opening jump attack, get the riposte on him, then DPS him down as he sloowwwwly stands up. He'll then do the short phase transition where he buffs out a damaging AoE, use that time to regen your stamina. Then while he's summoning his clone, dump all your stamina into DPS on him again.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's probably why he got demoted from final boss to Fire Witch boss replacement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Gael, Midir, Demon Princes, Nameless King, those guys have a ton of health and so act as sustain boss fights where you inevitably learn all their moves and in the end you feel a sense of achievement where you earnt it.

Pontiff Sulyvahn should be like that, but he's not. You either kill him near-instantly or you get caught in his combo and die. To do the former, all you need to do is parry his opening jump attack, get the riposte on him, then DPS him down as he sloowwwwly stands up. He'll then do the short phase transition where he buffs out a damaging AoE, use that time to regen your stamina. Then while he's summoning his clone, dump all your stamina into DPS on him again.

Or you could just not parry him and learn the fight