Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

EightAce posted:

And as the hands on the doomsday clock move inexorably forward. As the staff begin to aggressively question management decisions. As once again the frame rate hits below 10 fps with only one player, before crashing......
Chris's rear end in a top hat blinks like a beacon as he prepares the escape pod.

Well...At least the escape pod is nice. One of those things that they invested into early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

CIG doing orbital physics, what could possibly go wrong...

Fidelity!

:kingsley:

It's OK. The planet and the moon will just glitch through each other.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

ManofManyAliases posted:

If indeed this is consumer fraud, and consumers have had years to bring a claim, they would have already done so especially given the number of backers that have dumped more than $1k each and could validate a class. That's one.
Two: I never claimed there would not be refunds. I said CIG does not have to oblige to offer them.
Three: loving lol if you think you have this thing figured out when it's more than obvious you're doing nothing but barking at clouds and trying to get people to notice you. Hell, I'm responding to you so it's working, eh pal?

lazrin MoMa is back.

1) You know this works slowly; it took five years to bring a case against Madoff and it happens well after the investigation starts. They don't telegraph until they start throwing out requests, and this is probably going to be the year. You know, assuming they that don't knock it out of the park with 3.0.

2) You suggested that refunds were a lose because the terms of service were 'iron clad', forgetting that there's a whole amount of case law about people simply cutting and pasting their terms of service without proof-reading, and there's such a thing as the spirit of something. Note that this militancy regarding the 'agreement' is not mirrored in demanding that the product hit...well, any targets at all.

3) People here think less of internet points than Reddit.

Sarsapariller posted:

Consider that maybe people know he's trolling, but it's kind of fun to take running starts at a strawman idiot-SC-backer when no real ones have made themselves available.

The windmills; they are giants, Sancho.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/894995917140578304
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/895238230664196097
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/895239016047685634
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/895253472110682112
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/895303428003565568
https://twitter.com/iq_derek/status/895361471365992449

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
10 year old me is squealing with absolute loving joy

Toblakai
Jul 11, 2017

Let me guess, you googled "Katheryn Winnick pussy" and this is what came up.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

Best posters, best thread :)

Stay safe dancing cat. Your AV is still my daughter favorite in the thread.

King of Cheeses
Jul 25, 2007
Crusty on the outside, smooth and creamy on the inside.

Daztek posted:

lol at derek's new AV

The boy who cried E.L.E.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

In all serious hope everything goes well and you recover quick. Need you back here for gamescom!

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Good luck tomorrow Pgabs :)

Don't let the nurses touch your penis, or do. Your call tbh :)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Anyone else just sit at a bar trying to mind their own business drinking a beer when some nutball sits a few stools down from you? Then you sort of troll him to hear his story (because, what else are you going to do) and the only way he can articulate said story is by standing up and waves his arms and becoming quite animated. Then you show empathy to try to calm him down as he regales multiple different stories that defy belief?

Good times.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
My genitals appreciate all your concern thank you

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Aug 9, 2017

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

If indeed this is consumer fraud, and consumers have had years to bring a claim, they would have already done so especially given the number of backers that have dumped more than $1k each and could validate a class. That's one.
Two: I never claimed there would not be refunds. I said CIG does not have to oblige to offer them.
Three: loving lol if you think you have this thing figured out when it's more than obvious you're doing nothing but barking at clouds and trying to get people to notice you. Hell, I'm responding to you so it's working, eh pal?

Listing your ships would be less effort and just as funny.

Just saying.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

If indeed this is consumer fraud, and consumers have had years to bring a claim, they would have already done so especially given the number of backers that have dumped more than $1k each and could validate a class

Why do you assume "the would've done so already" ? That's like saying "If the world was going to be hit by an asteroid that wiped out all life, it would've happened years ago". It doesn't mean it won't happen eventually.

I'm thinking it'll happen when either:

A) Game is released and is poo poo/nothing like what was proposed

or

B) CIG go bust/close shop/try to hide

You know these things usually need some sort of 'trigger' to set them off, to bring people together with a common goal, to get a class action going.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hey Pal: I think I can continue to be as smug as I want in knowing that CIG is hard at work making the foundational systems that will carry the project for the next decade. 5 Years in (6, by some fuzzy math by resident non-accredited PhDs) is not a call for concern. I think a lot of the hurt and pain experienced by some of you stems from the fact that you have no insight into a private company's operations or financials and just bark at clouds because half of you don't understand the gaming business. CIG projected deadlines. CIG missed deadlines because of reasons (contractors leaving, internal structuring, whatever). CIG learned form mistakes and have toned-down deadline speak. Comparatively, the project is more open than the likes of EA or Activision, or any other gaming studio when it comes to systems, gameplay, art, etc.

You guys want to attach a filter to my posts, stating that I'm some sort of troll, backer, employee, shill - whatever. Fact is, half of this thread is simply getting-off on dropping a ninja-comment and leaving just for the lulz, Derek doesn't realize he's been played like a fiddle, and some of you really just want to watch CIG burn because of some arm-chair investigation.

You know what? I'm glad of it. Keep up all the good work. The more Derek, nawledge, and whoever post about it in twitter, reddit, etc, the more exposure CIG gets.

lmao

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Hey Pal: I think I can continue to be as smug as I want in knowing that CIG is hard at work making the foundational systems that will carry the project for the next decade. 5 Years in (6, by some fuzzy math by resident non-accredited PhDs) is not a call for concern. I think a lot of the hurt and pain experienced by some of you stems from the fact that you have no insight into a private company's operations or financials and just bark at clouds because half of you don't understand the gaming business. CIG projected deadlines. CIG missed deadlines because of reasons (contractors leaving, internal structuring, whatever). CIG learned form mistakes and have toned-down deadline speak. Comparatively, the project is more open than the likes of EA or Activision, or any other gaming studio when it comes to systems, gameplay, art, etc.

You guys want to attach a filter to my posts, stating that I'm some sort of troll, backer, employee, shill - whatever. Fact is, half of this thread is simply getting-off on dropping a ninja-comment and leaving just for the lulz, Derek doesn't realize he's been played like a fiddle, and some of you really just want to watch CIG burn because of some arm-chair investigation.

You know what? I'm glad of it. Keep up all the good work. The more Derek, nawledge, and whoever post about it in twitter, reddit, etc, the more exposure CIG gets.

Brandon get the gently caress out and give us back our Toast.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
moma itt right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uU4byhwRyaw

I smell bad news brewin'

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

Lladre posted:

MUTE Tophat!

Seriously though you need to turn down the gain on your mic.

I didn't do myself any favours by trying to use my SM57 first, boosting everything and then just saying gently caress it and using the webcam. I think it left a number of boosted options still in effect. Next time I'll run some more tests to get the balance right between the game and my voice. Thank you for the feedback and thanks for watching my first attempt at this whole streaming malarkey! Without folks telling me what I did wrong, I'll never get it right.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/895350009574690820

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Well crap there's a slap fight underway with MOMA and I just wrote an effort post for the thread as an overdue thank you for all who've welcomed me back so warmly.

Sorry MOMA if this complicates whatever you have going. You never reply to me but I like you anyway and am glad you're here.

Thats kind of you to say, BNBL - I appreciate it. I really do enjoy the camaraderie of the thread, despite the occasional derailments into cruelty. (I'd blame my disdain for bloodsport on age, but I think I just like people too much.) The time off was needed but man, it was hard staying quiet sometimes! Though I'm past the point of effort post indictments, and feel like charts and graphics are the more constructive outlet, please indulge me one that's overdue for those who've persevered here.

It's little remarked upon, perhaps little appreciated even here that the SA/SC has served some constructive purposes over its long life. (And Erillion and you /DS lurkers please sit down before you read the next paragraph because what follows WILL SHOCK YOU. Because not all of us have destructive methods or ends, no matter how fervently you drat us as one monstrousity of ill intent.)

The Kotaku UK series about Star Citizen came about in small part as a result of the madcap industriousness of goon research/postings on myriad topics. It made for compulsive reading, the best ringside seat to the most bizarre show in gaming. The sheer absurdity documented in prior pages lit beacon flares that passed one to the next and something rather miraculous happened; Gaming Journalism. Goons didn't MAKE them do anything, and Derek's personal crusade created its own complicated tensions (how could it not -- he broke Star Marine's story loudly and started his own set of avalanches -- if you doubt it check the July blog. :)).

Kotaku UK chose to tackle what was pre-ordained to be a thankless task out of their own good grace. But write it they did, with extensive, carefully planned out research in advance, interviews with parties inside and out, present and past, on the record and off, and in the end, among other things, somebody actually wrestled the god's honest truth right out of Chris's own mouth about what actually happened with Illfonic and Star Marine.

Only the most deluded of zealots would today dare claim it was FUD. What it actually was was a brief, shining glimpse at something almost entirely missing from the 5 year proceedings: A Bright Moment of Accountability. Even now, the Erillions and Joe Blobers and DisturbedJim's of the world actually have a richer understanding of that period in CIG's history. It is accepted as accomplished fact, no longer debated, all narratives revised to admit "yes, the Illfonic relationship and project was mismanaged on both ends." And better still, employees of CIG and Foundry were given a chance to air their own griefs and frustrations, for lest we forget, they too have voices and not all sing in constant praise around the throne of their master and his process. Our efforts to raise awareness once were derided as FUD, and revisiting that MMORPG post about Star Marine speaks it plain, but FUD lead to FACT for all. Their understanding, ours and the gaming world's at large was advanced by that effort, and in some small but meaningful way, this thread played a part. And I am glad of it.

When I read the full story for the first time and saw all the sound bites, all the blanks finally filled in, knowing what I'd learned in advance of it, the little part we'd played, I just lit right up -- and must've had that stupid smile on my face for an hour. I just felt this warm, tiny shard of personal pride that I couldn't hope to fully explain to friends -- it would take 5000 pages of preamble and make even Portney's Complaint look like a brisk setup to its punchline. It was a shibboleth pride in the bizarre ongoing collaboration of strangers towards an improbably sometimes constructive end -- jokers, programmers, mockers, writers, haters, gamers, trolls and more -- trying to make finer sense of the madness of Star Citizen.

That is why, incidentally, the accusations of Erillion strike me as so comic. Take away the skeptics from this project and it's narrative is solely authored by the Chris Roberts and Erillions and Joe Blobers of the world. The backers would have less truth, not more, less objectivity, not more. All claims, no matter how outlandish, would be given credence. All histories revised to best accommodate future narratives. Star Marine would've been the sole and exclusive fault of "those illfonic idiots" but actually it was already in the game and all that stuff about "weeks not months" and Gold Horizon and "procedurally generated environmental destruction like in Battlefield" would be treated as canon rather than fodder, validation rather vapidity. We'd still have the old weekly trainwreck that was "Reverse the Verse" because all its stupidities would remain unremarked upon. All stories about the project would be clickbait and shillery, and while that might mean even more money in Chris's pockets, it would also mean less urgency to demonstrate that the funds thus far given will lead to the outcome formerly agreed upon.

So, anyway, I'm glad to be playing my small part again as I can, BNBL. Unlike many, I still don't want to see the company brought to ruination, even though Chris might deserve a chastening. I'd rather see the accountability long needed and only occasionally extracted from him made permanent. I don't expect that, of course, but I long for it anyway because well, I like people too much. :) Seeing the mighty brought low for their hubris loses its satisfactions knowing that those who suffered in their shadow suffer more in their downfall. If such a moment comes, and I hope it doesn't, the ones at the top get to fly away anyway. Business class, in fact, because they deserve to be comfortable especially in the hard times, and the fans will never know anyway.

:same:

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

Thoatse posted:

that mechanic sounds like it's an inch deep and a mile wide :smuggo:

You just know it's going to get boring after the first 1,000 hours.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

"Warning to all commandos, don't go to Tiber, attempt no landings there, it's because it doesn't exist you see and to be perfectly honest even if it did it would be in patch 5.7 or something and it'll crash your comp anyway. But here's a bunch of made up poo poo about absolutely nothing."

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Well, it should be fairly easy to avoid then, since it doesn't exist. Nor has anyone said that "system" is included in 3.0.

Dodged a space bullet on that one friends.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

EightAce posted:

And as the hands on the doomsday clock move inexorably forward. As the staff begin to aggressively question management decisions. As once again the frame rate hits below 10 fps with only one player, before crashing......
Chris's rear end in a top hat blinks like a beacon as he prepares the escape pod.

"Are we going to have jobs next year you loving thumb-headed fraud?"

That's the question I would be asking. Sucks to be them.

Maw
Feb 18, 2013

Mere minutes after discovering the new technology, it was used to send me a crude ASCII dong.

peter gabriel posted:

it'll take mopre than this to stop me shitp[osytin

Mod Translation Edit: I don't fuckin know, something about oysters maybe?

Hey good luck with the operation friend

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
i like that they've figured out they can create all the worlds they want to all they have to do is tell you that you can't go there for x reason

sorry commando this region cannot be accessed due to a sudden black hole appearance leave area in 5 seconds or be destroyed
nope you cant go here too much radiation leave area in 5 seconds or be destroyed
this area is too overrun with bad guys! leave area in 5 seconds or be destroyed!!

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sabreseven posted:

Why do you assume "the would've done so already" ? That's like saying "If the world was going to be hit by an asteroid that wiped out all life, it would've happened years ago". It doesn't mean it won't happen eventually.

I'm thinking it'll happen when either:

A) Game is released and is poo poo/nothing like what was proposed

or

B) CIG go bust/close shop/try to hide

You know these things usually need some sort of 'trigger' to set them off, to bring people together with a common goal, to get a class action going.

Can i offer C: ?

C: Game is nothing like what has been promised but is still good enough to warrant publication. Game release to lukewarm review and problematic launch due to lack of planing. 3 months in it surface that the game infrastructure needs are unsustainable with current acceptable playerbase monetization model.

After that you have 2 branch.

1 ) Angel investor swop in at the cost of heavy restructuration (hello cosmetic loot boxes, hello ships component gashapon, hello rented guns)

2) Game goes into obscurity with maybe one content update a year untill it get sold to another publisher or shut down.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Operation tomorrow, pain killers kicking in, desire to edit posts fading

get well soon, dancey cat!

I witnessed cig gamescom from the hospital last year. made it bearable...

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
imagine if chris sells the entire operation to some entity and runs off with the payout

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Snazzy Frocks posted:

imagine if chris sells the entire operation to some entity and runs off with the payout

Like he did for Freelancer ?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Imagine if they default on the loan.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

aleksendr posted:

Can i offer C: ?

C: Game

ERROR: "Game" Not Found

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

aleksendr posted:

Like he did for Freelancer ?

I am betting he has been trying to shop for a buyer now for the past couple of years and there are no takers that want any part of a $156 million dollar liability in presales and technical debt. CIG has been very quiet as of late except for their bot level marketing tweets and marching their programmers out to quell dissent with the masses with talking points.

Mne nravitsya
Jul 14, 2017

D_Smart posted:

Holy Cow! I just saw that. :negative:

Sorry mate. I had no idea they would make it into your avatar lol

xXAdmiralBekHarXx
Jul 11, 2017

by zen death robot

DapperDon posted:

I am betting he has been trying to shop for a buyer now for the past couple of years and there are no takers that want any part of a $156 million dollar liability in presales and technical debt. CIG has been very quiet as of late except for their bot level marketing tweets and marching their programmers out to quell dissent with the masses with talking points.

He was able to sell Digital Anvil because Microsoft already had a stake in the company, it had actually produced games at one point, and didn't have over 100 million dollars in preorder technical debt.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

xXAdmiralBekHarXx posted:

He was able to sell Digital Anvil because Microsoft already had a stake in the company, it had actually produced games at one point, and didn't have over 100 million dollars in preorder technical debt.

It is known.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Snazzy Frocks posted:

IMHO, it would benefit Star Citizen. Current state of the game is a disaster, built in an engine which instead of aiding development hinders it.

Imagine him selling it to some eastern f2p-publisher. They'd rip out the assets (many of them are rather okay), put them into something that works, create some game mechanics around them, and prepare everything for launch to sell stuff.

It would literally be "check mate goonies", because Star Citizen would get finished (irregardless of scope), backer would be happy (because they already have some poo poo they don't have to pay for) and if the game is fun, people who are okay with f2p stuff would enjoy it. Plus goons would stay way from it, because we all are filthy, dirty leavers who would never invest a single buck in f2p-games.

it would be the best outcome with the lowest death toll, which is a good thing in my book

E: also lol at dereks avatar

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

DapperDon posted:

Chris Roberts has burned every bridge he ever had in the gaming industry, so there will be no bailout from that quarter. The only people who would ever buy this shitshow now are independently wealthy autists who still think Chris made a good game once, and Chinese investors who can convert this into a pay-2-win phone app. There would be more hope for the former if they weren't busy sewing clothes out of women's skin and/or getting rounded up on pedophilia charges, which leaves us waiting on Red-5's decision to buy and sink CIG as a followup to their handling of Firefall.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Mne nravitsya posted:

Sorry mate. I had no idea they would make it into your avatar lol

Don't apologize, it's a net good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Chris Roberts has burned every bridge he ever had in the gaming industry, so there will be no bailout from that quarter. The only people who would ever buy this shitshow now are independently wealthy autists who still think Chris made a good game once, and Chinese investors who can convert this into a pay-2-win phone app. There would be more hope for the former if they weren't busy sewing clothes out of women's skin and/or getting rounded up on pedophilia charges, which leaves us waiting on Red-5's decision to buy and sink CIG as a followup to their handling of Firefall.

I know. That is probably the most delicious thing about all of this. There will be no magical bailout for Chris & Co. The failure is all his and his alone.