Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Teaches of Peaches posted:

I basically want the tactile feel of the button but not so much the loud click. I was leaning towards the browns the most right now anyway so I think that maybe what I go for. Are there any other boards that use browns, allow for the full keyboard and don't have a lot of flashy lights and things? It seems the CM boards are a pretty decent price and hit the nail on the head for what I want.

There's Ducky Zero, if you can still find it with brown switches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...

wa27 posted:

I was looking for something like this a year ago and ended up going with a Rosewill with browns. They're often $80 or less and good quality.

Thanks I think I will go with browns after all. They seem to the in the middle switch for tactile typing but still not being overly firm for gaming. Thanks for all the input guys! Plus from the looks of it the browns are cheaper and also in stock on amazon.

Edit: They actually do have some for sale here.. http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=262

Though I would rather get from amazon for the shipping and all that if I can.

Teaches of Peaches fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 7, 2014

Schmoli
Apr 22, 2002

Bunson is my hero.

So I decided to get serious about my keyboard and stop using this mushy thing I have been using for like a year. I am borrowing an old IBM keyboard, a model IBM 42H1292 to be exact. This thing is amazing and I love it. I am not sure how I would like it if I was gaming plus it is a bit loud but I most def want to look into getting a new keyboard. What would be the best approximation in the cherry switches to this buckle spring keyboard? I was originally looking at the reds but I think those might be to soft. Though I don't want something exactly like this keyboard. I really wish I could find a place to just hammer on some keyboard switches but I don't have anything like that around where I like. I do have a buddy that has a keyboard with black switches that I might go and try out when I get the chance but I am trying to get something picked out. I am looking at this CM Storm QuickFire XT which I think is a good choice. I want to have a full keyboard and I don't want to have backlights or any crazy colors. Any advice is much appreciated.

I just got the XT for my office and love it. Your reasons sound like mine but everyone is different so who knows. I have now replaced both home and office Saitek keyboards I've had for years and wish I had done it earlier. Just go for one on Amazon and return if you don't like it! I got the fancy backlit one for home and honestly wish I had just gotten two of the XTs but oh well. The browns feel perfect and are just quiet enough to not piss my coworkers off.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

I basically want the tactile feel of the button but not so much the loud click. I was leaning towards the browns the most right now anyway so I think that maybe what I go for. Are there any other boards that use browns, allow for the full keyboard and don't have a lot of flashy lights and things? It seems the CM boards are a pretty decent price and hit the nail on the head for what I want.

CM boards have good build quality and cheery brown switches should give you the tactile feedback you want without the coworker/girlfriend/housemate hatred that blues can induce. Rosewill boards are also well built, I really liked the one I had until I upgraded to a filco.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp

JohnnyCanuck posted:

I just got an email about this:

I'm not a mechanical keyboard guy myself, but I thought you might be interested in discussing it!

Well, I'm really glad I decided not to wait. I don't think I would have been very happy with the purchase, given that the BlackWidow Tournament is still loving huge compared to what I'm used to.

Kinda funny how my desk is so big and yet I'm cramped for space because I've got two different computers on it.

The true price of having a Mac and building a dedicated gaming rig on the side: desk real estate!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

leper khan posted:

I like alps, but I've started using a topre board so that my coworkers stop hating me.

My boss has one, but I guess it's one of the perks of a corner office. :smith:

Topre boards are the best for the workplace.

My co-workers are inquiring about how to get ones where they "can see all the keys," instead of the more common black-on-gray (or my checkerboard Realforce)

Pictured: my checkerboard Realforce.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Wasabi the J posted:

Topre boards are the best for the workplace.

My co-workers are inquiring about how to get ones where they "can see all the keys," instead of the more common black-on-gray (or my checkerboard Realforce)

Pictured: my checkerboard Realforce.

You could swap them out for cheap ABS caps.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Nephilm posted:

You could swap them out for cheap ABS caps.

Topre really doesn't do cheap or ABS. I'm just pointing people to the TypeHeaven.

o muerte
Dec 13, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Topre really doesn't do cheap or ABS. I'm just pointing people to the TypeHeaven.

Speaking of the typeheaven, is there a tkl version in the works yet?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

o muerte posted:

Speaking of the typeheaven, is there a tkl version in the works yet?

We didn't even know about it until the Type Heaven was dropped on our heads. I'm not sure why they would change things up now.

Also I was mistaken; the Type Heaven itself uses laser etched ABS caps.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Astrobastard posted:

Cherry Browns and and a trackball, I'm taking this risk.

I got it and I loving love it. Easily my favourite switch. I jumped in way too early with mechanicals and decided that Blacks would be the switches I'd want. Got Blacks on my first,a WASD custom and while I love it I just have to mash a bit harder than I'd prefer to. I then got a KBT Race with Reds, probably my favourite but while I wanted a TKL, the absence of the numpad gets annoying with stuff like online banking, excel etc. I'll pick up a USB NumPad with Browns soon I think. I'm assuming its the body on this Compaq board causing most of the noise but I'm bottoming out on these Browns way too much so I've got some O-Rings coming.

Other than not using PS/2 for 8 years and forgetting my mobo has one of those combination ports, I haven't tried out the trackball yet, but it feels poo poo enough for me to not care too much, was buying for the switches and local sale really.

Also gently caress Razer, had a Razer Tarantula and a Naga Mouse and they both hosed up within 6-9 months. I also nearly bought a "mechanical" with those Chinese copy switches out of pure curiosity and price, this one specifically. I'm glad I didn't -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-012-ZA

Thanks I think I will go with browns after all. They seem to the in the middle switch for tactile typing but still not being overly firm for gaming. Thanks for all the input guys! Plus from the looks of it the browns are cheaper and also in stock on amazon.

Just noticed this post after writing mine and you've made the right choice, the tactile "bump" isn't as pronounced as I think you expect and it provides the perfect middle ground between reds and blacks (especially gaming) in my opinion

Also they're not noisy as gently caress like Blues but every mechanical switch I've tried I've wanted to put O-Rings on immediately ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Im guessing it's just the sound of good quality plastics twatting each other so I cant really complain about that, but everyone else sure does

Astrobastard fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 9, 2014

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Astrobastard posted:

Also they're not noisy as gently caress like Blues but every mechanical switch I've tried I've wanted to put O-Rings on immediately ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Im guessing it's just the sound of good quality plastics twatting each other so I cant really complain about that, but everyone else sure does

O-rings change the feel as much as the sound. Some of us hate it, some people put them on everything.

If you're getting lots of rattling because of the body get something soft like those non-skid shelf liners or big rear end mousepads to put under it. Helped a lot on the shaky hollow surface I sometimes work on. It looks like Wasabi has a gun cleaning mat under his, which I'm sure would go over well in Europe.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

Picked up a Ducky Shine 3 TKL with Cherry MX Browns a while ago and i'm pretty happy with it. The only issue I have with it is to turn the backlight on or off you have to cycle through about 10 or so utterly useless gimmick settings like breathe and ripple first. Welp, that's my story I guess.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Sphyre posted:

Picked up a Ducky Shine 3 TKL with Cherry MX Browns a while ago and i'm pretty happy with it. The only issue I have with it is to turn the backlight on or off you have to cycle through about 10 or so utterly useless gimmick settings like breathe and ripple first. Welp, that's my story I guess.

Well, those gimmick lighting settings are basically the raison d'etre of the Shine series. If you just wanted a simple choice of backlighting being on or off (with brightness adjustment for on), the Zero series would've been a better (and cheaper, probably) choice. With that you can set the backlight level with just FN + # (0 for off). Though that setting isn't retained when you reset the computer, which is slightly annoying.

Chunks Hammerdong
Nov 1, 2009
Finding somewhere to get a keyboard from the UK is proving really difficult.

I'm not looking to spend a whole heap of money and was considering the CM Storm QuickFire XT, because it's about the right price and doesn't look too hideous. I'd maybe go with the Rapid but it doesn't seem to be available in black, only a lovely looking silver colour (in both cases I'd want to change the keycaps eventually but whatever).

Anyway, I wanted to go with browns but I can't find anywhere that sells anything with browns that isn't £130 or sold out or completely untrustworthy as a site. Even Amazon seems to list the QuickFire XT as being made by "CM Strom" (and doesn't actually appear to be an XT). Most brands just plain aren't available in the UK at all. I just want a goddamn keyboard. Is it really this hard in the UK or am I just too picky/retarded? :sigh:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

"CMstorm" is CoolerMaster's gaming products sub-brand. I wouldn't worry about anyone using that name, as it's technically more correct.

Chunks Hammerdong
Nov 1, 2009

Schpyder posted:

"CMstorm" is CoolerMaster's gaming products sub-brand. I wouldn't worry about anyone using that name, as it's technically more correct.

Yes, I realise. It's just that they misspelled it as a "strom" and the keyboard clearly isn't the XT, so it's difficult to trust whoever is selling that.

So with a bit more investigation it seems that my options in the UK are CM Storm, Ducky and Filco. The only brand with browns immediately available is Filco, but it's adding another £30 I'd rather not spend (not including postage). Both CM Storm and Ducky offer brown boards at a £70 price point but without any actual availability. drat you keyboaaaaards.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012

TheDukeOfFail posted:

Finding somewhere to get a keyboard from the UK is proving really difficult.

I'm not looking to spend a whole heap of money and was considering the CM Storm QuickFire XT, because it's about the right price and doesn't look too hideous. I'd maybe go with the Rapid but it doesn't seem to be available in black, only a lovely looking silver colour (in both cases I'd want to change the keycaps eventually but whatever).

Anyway, I wanted to go with browns but I can't find anywhere that sells anything with browns that isn't £130 or sold out or completely untrustworthy as a site. Even Amazon seems to list the QuickFire XT as being made by "CM Strom" (and doesn't actually appear to be an XT). Most brands just plain aren't available in the UK at all. I just want a goddamn keyboard. Is it really this hard in the UK or am I just too picky/retarded? :sigh:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-cm-storm-quickfire-tk-abs-grip-coated-mechanical-backlit-cherry-brown-gaming-keyboard-

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-cm-storm-quick-fire-tk-stealth-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-brown-cherry-mx-switches

I'd tell you to get the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid because it's plain and basically a Filco for less £ but it might be discontinued now because I can't see it on Scan or Amazon. It might not be cheaper than either of these anyway.

Other sites you can also try looking at: Ebuyer.com, overclockers.co.uk, dabs.com and aria.co.uk

Chunks Hammerdong
Nov 1, 2009

uhhhhahhhhohahhh posted:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-cm-storm-quickfire-tk-abs-grip-coated-mechanical-backlit-cherry-brown-gaming-keyboard-

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/cooler-master-cm-storm-quick-fire-tk-stealth-mechanical-gaming-keyboard-brown-cherry-mx-switches

I'd tell you to get the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid because it's plain and basically a Filco for less £ but it might be discontinued now because I can't see it on Scan or Amazon. It might not be cheaper than either of these anyway.

Other sites you can also try looking at: Ebuyer.com, overclockers.co.uk, dabs.com and aria.co.uk

Yeah, I had considered. But I'm not sure about the arrow keys in the numpad. It's a bit weird, not sure if I'd like it because I tend to use the arrow keys quite a bit (sadly I'm not a vim master using hjkl to move around). If I am going with a reduced size I'd prefer TKL instead, but that seems to raise the price again.

Also the Rapid is available, it's just in a weird metal/silver looking design rather than black and, to me, that looks like poo poo. I'm just being fussy I guess, but being TKL it is more expensive and I'd be annoyed with the colour.

EDIT: I will consider the Rapid though I guess. Maybe the colour will grow on me.

Chunks Hammerdong fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 9, 2014

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

http://deskthority.net/ is a Euro-centric keyboard forum with an active classifieds section. You might have better luck asking for help there.

Chunks Hammerdong
Nov 1, 2009

Internet Friend posted:

http://deskthority.net/ is a Euro-centric keyboard forum with an active classifieds section. You might have better luck asking for help there.

Thanks.

Overall though it just seems like I'll have to wait or spend more money (or get something weird). I'll keep checking back in places to see what's going on I suppose.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Astrobastard posted:

I also nearly bought a "mechanical" with those Chinese copy switches out of pure curiosity and price, this one specifically. I'm glad I didn't -

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=KB-012-ZA

I almost bought this Zalman too. Great price and the chinese knockoff switches don't bother me on principle, but the poor long-term reviews did it in. I kind of want to hang onto my keyboard for a while.

Really happy with my Corsair, even though I'm sort of wishing I'd paid for the more expensive one with a numpad. Just because I'm used to assigning some game functions to the numpad. Thought I could do without but.. meh.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
That's one hell of a review:

quote:

This keyboard saved my life.
I ordered this keyboard when I was off work for depression issues.

Things got worse and I eventually planned to hang myself, however before I did the deed I wanted to try out a mechanical keyboard - so the plan was to write the note using this keyboard.

I couldn't bring it to myself to end my life knowing how great this keyboard feels when typing.

I can't stop smiling, everytime I use this keyboard it feels like my fingertips are being massaged, and with the tactile feedback I hardly ever make a mis-type.

Great keyboard considering the price!

5/5 stars

Teaches of Peaches
Aug 10, 2010

Huh!? What? Right...
So as a trip report I got my keyboard in yesterday and I love it. It is pretty awesome and I am glad I went with the browns. In case anyone forgot I got the CM Crossfire XT.

Argila
Oct 23, 2008
Can I ask for auto hotkey help here? My ducky shine 3 does not have the context menu key (apps key) near the right alt, fn, and ctrl keys. I tried to write ahk to make RCtrl act as shift F10 (RCtrl::RShift & F10) but it won't work inside microsoft word. I also tried RCtrl::RButton which also didn't work. What am I doing wrong.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Argila posted:

Can I ask for auto hotkey help here? My ducky shine 3 does not have the context menu key (apps key) near the right alt, fn, and ctrl keys. I tried to write ahk to make RCtrl act as shift F10 (RCtrl::RShift & F10) but it won't work inside microsoft word. I also tried RCtrl::RButton which also didn't work. What am I doing wrong.

Try:
RCtrl::AppsKey

quote:

AppsKey - this is the key that invokes the right-click context menu.

It seems to be working for me as expected.

Argila
Oct 23, 2008
Same result - doesn't work in microsoft word. E.g., 'right clicking' to correct a misspelled word.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Argila posted:

Same result - doesn't work in microsoft word. E.g., 'right clicking' to correct a misspelled word.

I can only test it with Win7 and Word 2010 at the moment but it's working for me. Have you done the usual edit, save and then reload script when editing your original script in AHK?

Minster
Mar 4, 2014

Right, right.
Used to have Razer Lycosa, it's pretty much worth of the money. Only had couple problems after computer restart, it did not recognize the keyboard was attached to USB.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Also maybe try:
#InstallKeybdHook
RCtrl::AppsKey

to use the keyboard hook, but I don't think Word should need keyboard hooking. Otherwise a more reliable way to do shift+F10 would be:
RCtrl::Send, {Shift Down}{F10}{Shift Up}

Argila
Oct 23, 2008

Klyith posted:

RCtrl::Send, {Shift Down}{F10}{Shift Up}

This worked for me. Thanks so much. I am not quite sure what was going on but I am using win 7 with word 2013. I also made an entirely new file after restarting my computer.
Again thanks to all helpful goons in this thread.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
Holy poo poo, this beast arrived today:

Pictured in front of the keyboard it's supposed to be imitating as far as form factor goes--once you learn to game on a 60%, it's pretty difficult to kick the habit of having your hands so close together. Keep knocking the mouse into the edge of the (completely extraneous) numpad.

I'm probably gonna leave it stock (even though these RGB mods are legit as gently caress) until the Honeywell caps arrive but daaaaaamn this thing is pretty much everything I dreamed about. It's also loud as gently caress (thanks, Blues!) but that's just wonderful if you ask me. Getting used to the function arrow keys is probably gonna take a while, but all in all I'm super pleased with the purchase, and an added bonus is that it has volume function keys that the old full-size wired Apple keyboard I was using didn't have (well, it did, but they didn't work in Windows). First thing I did was switch the left Windows key to another FN keys

I also don't understand the whole "oh blues are poo poo to double tap with" sentiment, I seem to be able to double tap just fine, but then I've always been one to take my finger off the key entirely, so

Unfortunately, my case is just a tiny bit warped, but that's nothing a little tinkering with the rubber feet can't fix.

The PBT caps are nice, I guess, but I don't really have anything to compare them with. I will say, however, that I can feel the print on them, and it doesn't feel like the lettering's gonna last particularly long, but what do I know?

Playing Titanfall on this is going to be dreamlike

edit nope, couldn't resist

put the rgb mods on it

Gravefront fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 10, 2014

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
You mentioning RGB just reminded I saw these at work today, I just bought a bunch for my White Backlit KBT, you'd have to create a massdrop account (I think) but it's worth it to be honest, some great deals on mechanicals

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/led-color-changer

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
where is the best place to pick up various colored keycaps?

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

slightpirate posted:

where is the best place to pick up various colored keycaps?

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/
http://keyshop.pimpmykeyboard.com/
http://www.ebay.com/

LeoninVaritule
Mar 11, 2014
Anyone know of any back-lit water proof mechanical boards? I spilled water on my BlackWidow the other day and almost had a heart attack.

Gravefront
Feb 5, 2014

by Ralp
I think Logitech has a waterproof keyboard, but I don't think it's mechanical and I don't think it's backlit, either. Is it even possible to waterproof a mechanical keyboard? Like, how would you go about doing such a thing?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

LeoninVaritule posted:

Anyone know of any back-lit water proof mechanical boards? I spilled water on my BlackWidow the other day and almost had a heart attack.

The TG3 boards (same manufacture as Deck) are water resistant, but they are usually 2 key rollover so only good for typing:
http://www.tg3electronics.com/product-tag/mobile-data

I had to remove the heavy saran wrap style waterproofing on the one I got because it made the board feel really crappy.

If you like to spill stuff into your keyboard get an IBM Model M with drainage holes (or Unicomp), but they're not backlit and are 2kro (but have a better matrix for gaming than the tg3 boards).

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Gravefront posted:

I think Logitech has a waterproof keyboard, but I don't think it's mechanical and I don't think it's backlit, either. Is it even possible to waterproof a mechanical keyboard? Like, how would you go about doing such a thing?

I'm picturing a big gross rubber film on top of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Like those shields they use on keyboards in machine shops!

• Locked thread