Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Decided to actually see how crazy the wizard got after a few "levels"

Instakill of the enemy team and a full heal of my team. Don't even need to leave the base. Just stand there picking up ammo boxes.

Who was in charge of balance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

JackMackerel posted:

That reminds me, Turok 1, 2, and Evolution had PC ports, though I heard the Turok 2 PC port was a complete wreck. I'm trying to find the Evolution copy.

I had the Turok 2 PC Port. I can't remember anything wrong with it other than the default mouse look settings being odd, which was easily changed in the menu.

Actually preferred the PC Port to the N64 version to be truthful.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

xanthan posted:

Decided to actually see how crazy the wizard got after a few "levels"

Instakill of the enemy team and a full heal of my team. Don't even need to leave the base. Just stand there picking up ammo boxes.

Who was in charge of balance?

Are you talking about the U4EF wizard? Yeah, I don't know. Like I said, I don't think the expansion was anywhere near finished when they stopped working on it. The final nail in the coffin for me was the fact that the Bot AI really doesn't seem to do well with the classes it adds. For example, I don't think it even knows it can build turrets and barriers, let alone knowing how it would use them.

I install U4EF predominately to get the extra skins and weapons that the game adds, so I can use them with W.O.R.M. Then I go back to U4E.

Angelwolf posted:

I had the Turok 2 PC Port. I can't remember anything wrong with it other than the default mouse look settings being odd, which was easily changed in the menu.

I, too, had Turok 2 for the PC. It was actually the game that made me buy my first GPU, because the game wouldn't run without it: A 16MB Voodoo 2. I don't recall anything terrible about the game in retrospect, besides the typical abundance of fog to get around rendering large areas, and maybe a hosed up save system.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Feb 10, 2013

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Are you talking about the U4EF wizard? Yeah, I don't know. Like I said, I don't think the expansion was anywhere near finished when they stopped working on it. The final nail in the coffin for me was the fact that the Bot AI really doesn't seem to do well with the classes it adds. For example, I don't think it even knows it can build turrets and barriers, let alone knowing how it would use them.

I install U4EF predominately to get the extra skins and weapons that the game adds, so I can use them with W.O.R.M. Then I go back to U4E.

The U4E Fortress wizard, yes. It seems like the final skill in any given list is a gamebreaker.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I, too, had Turok 2 for the PC. It was actually the game that made me buy my first GPU, because the game wouldn't run without it: A 16MB Voodoo 2. I don't recall anything terrible about the game in retrospect, besides the typical abundance of fog to get around rendering large areas, and maybe a hosed up save system.

I remember playing the demo for this over and over again, then being really disappointed with the final game. The levels were just loving gigantic. If they'd made twice the levels with half the length it would have been a way better game.

On the other hand, it did give us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp3xSsvFNQQ

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Convex posted:

I remember playing the demo for this over and over again, then being really disappointed with the final game. The levels were just loving gigantic. If they'd made twice the levels with half the length it would have been a way better game.

On the other hand, it did give us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp3xSsvFNQQ

I distinctly remember 3 things about this game:

1. I can't remember which, but either the strategy guide or the manual said that the various zombies would "get back up" after being killed. In-game, they just died like regular enemies.
2. The manual had pictures and descriptions for an enemy that never made it into the game: A quadrupedal pig thing that functioned as an attack dog for other enemies.
3. Similar to my rant about U4E's weapons, Turok 2's weaponry seemed, especially for its time, to be composed of a gargantuan selection of strange and amazing tools. None of this boilerplate "Pistol, Shotgun, Rifle, Rocket Launcher" bullshit. Nope.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I really enjoyed Turok 2. It was actually a pretty impressive game, especially for its time. I loved the huge levels, and being able to return to them for more stuff. Maybe I'm romanticizing it a bit, since I haven't played it in probably 12 years. The rest of the Turok franchise was pretty bad though, I think.

I still remember the super-cheat, too. BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Cat Mattress posted:

You like Brutal Doom but now you don't anymore? TEHN MABYE BURL TUMD IS FRO UYO? iunno

It's more politically correct; it's less grammatically correct.

So I think this wad pulls off the idea better and without being wrapped up in a lot of weird drama.

quote:

An arcadey "irrealism" mod.
Everything takes one hit off your health bar
and you're momentarily invulnerable while hurt.
Monster attacks are redone with this in mind. (read: more projectiles)
All hitscans are replaced with projectiles.
You jump higher and shoot faster.
Weapons have more instant feedback - hence the title.
Generally things are easier but still challenging.

The non-hitscan shotgun is great fun to use and the chaingun, as a result of shooting super fast but slowing your movement down while doing so, fills a new interesting role. It's like holding down the button in a bullet hell shoot-em-up that makes you move slower but focuses your shots. I feel like the way the health works kind of subtly discourages save-scumming too without resorting to regenerating health like everything else. Played it for a while this evening and had a lot of fun with it.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Please don't hate me since it's technically not an FPS (and please point me to the right thread if there's a better place for this), but I have a question about Slave Zero. It is one of my favorite games and I'm having a hard time reinstalling it under Windows 7 x64. Everything I've read on the web says that as long as you flag all the executables on install media to run in compatibility mode for Win98/Me, it should install fine. When I try that I get a splash screen and an InstallShield progress bar for about three minutes, then they disappear. Their processes (_ISDel32 and the other one above it) still keep running in the background at 25% CPU usage, but nothing happens. Any suggestions or advice?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Some old games have part of their installation process done by some old 16-bit DOS program, which wouldn't run in Win 64. I have no idea if this is the case with Slave Zero, as I don't know that game, but maybe install shield is waiting for another process to return a special exit code and it doesn't happen since the other process doesn't even run?

A way to confirm if that's the case would be to find a computer with a Win32 OS around and try to install it on that. If it works there, then it's probably the reason! (And you can try copying the entire installed directory back to Win64 PC. Also peek at the registry to see if there are keys that need to be created.)

SparkTR
May 6, 2009
If I wanted to play the original AvP, how would I go about doing that? I sold my Jaguar over a decade ago, has it been ported to another platform or are there any good Jaguar emulators out there (last I tried they were all terrible)?

Also, how's the DOS version of Alien Trilogy?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

blk posted:

Please don't hate me since it's technically not an FPS (and please point me to the right thread if there's a better place for this), but I have a question about Slave Zero. It is one of my favorite games and I'm having a hard time reinstalling it under Windows 7 x64. Everything I've read on the web says that as long as you flag all the executables on install media to run in compatibility mode for Win98/Me, it should install fine. When I try that I get a splash screen and an InstallShield progress bar for about three minutes, then they disappear. Their processes (_ISDel32 and the other one above it) still keep running in the background at 25% CPU usage, but nothing happens. Any suggestions or advice?

Slave Zero buddy! I have it for the Dreamcast and it still is a solid game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Quake is the new Doom: a source port of Quake to HTML5, of all things. If you're too lazy to throw up a localhost to check it out on, here's a video on some German tech news site.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Quake is the new Doom: a source port of Quake to HTML5, of all things. If you're too lazy to throw up a localhost to check it out on, here's a video on some German tech news site.

It's also up on Quaddicted if you want to putz around on it.

...Imagine getting WebQuake hooked up with Quaddicted's repository of Quake maps.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Segmentation Fault posted:

...Imagine getting WebQuake hooked up with Quaddicted's repository of Quake maps.

Hey, that's really, really nifty. Runs like butt on my work laptop, but I'm impressed they made it work in pure HTML5 at all. I'll try it more on my home rig.

Hey, does anybody know this map?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o17T6RgAtew
Its like a remake of knee deep in the dead, looks familiar but I can't remember which .wad

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

Angelwolf posted:

Oh, weird. I remember looking at the Wikipedia page for it, and the PC port getting low ratings.

Evolution was my first Turok game, and drat all the critics who said it sucked, I have a fondness for dinosaurs and large explosions. And gore.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

They actually added some custom maps to their install:
ac
arcane
cogs
could
czg03
czg04
damaul6
dm7rmx
kjsp1
nastrond
networld
oblivion
rpgsp1

and Quake Done Quickest.

Oh, and while I'm here, I got you guys a present...
Have some Reelism a day (in my timezone anyway) early, because why the hell not?

quote:

* Changes in Version X2.0 *
Five new maps!
Nine new slot rules!
Three new bosses, plus custom boss support!
Hordes of new guns and jackpots!
Superweapons!
Tons of bug fixes!
Heaven!
Hell!
Let's Rock!

Also, better documentation for mapmaking and multiplayer is provided for your convenience and her pleasure as part of the manual in the "docs" folder. Always read the label, and if the rash persists, please ask your vet.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

The Kins posted:

Have some Reelism a day (in my timezone anyway) early, because why the hell not?

You would do this when I'm at work, wouldn't you.

Thanks Kins!

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Ah man I can't get mouselook working :(

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

The Kins posted:

They actually added some custom maps to their install:
ac
arcane
cogs
could
czg03
czg04
damaul6
dm7rmx
kjsp1
nastrond
networld
oblivion
rpgsp1

and Quake Done Quickest.

:woop: gently caress yes working from home today.

THANK YOU KINS!

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Ah man I can't get mouselook working :(
I was just about to ask if there was a trick to getting mouselook to work. I tried in both Chrome and Firefox on a Win7 pc and no dice.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Is there a list of where the music is from in Reelism? There's one in particular in Astrolab that's killing me.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I don't know but I definitely heard "You've Got To Eat Your Vegetables" from Commander Keen :downs: I love how Reelism incorporates so much that everyone can experience their own unique set of nostalgia...s. Nostalgias.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ohvee posted:

I was just about to ask if there was a trick to getting mouselook to work. I tried in both Chrome and Firefox on a Win7 pc and no dice.

Works for me in chrome :iiam:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 12, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

Is there a list of where the music is from in Reelism? There's one in particular in Astrolab that's killing me.
No, but I should probably make one. Let's start it off...

Astrolab Normal:
Timesplitters - Spaceways
Gradius 3 - Lucky Zone
Vortex - Voltair
Silver Surfer - Theme
Megaman X - Boomer Kuwanger
Soul Blazer - Basement of Leo's House

Astrolab Boss:
Contra 3 - Invasion
Gradius 3 - Dead End Cell
Hyper Zone - Bioplant
Mega-Lo-Mania - Title Screen

Astrolab Easter Eggs:
X - Alarm!
Marathon 2 - Theme

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Well, okay, the Timesplitters song was the one I was thinking of. Thanks!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Kins, this is fantastic. JRPGTown is my new absolute favorite level, the new reels are loving fantastic (what I've rolled so far), everything rules. Thank you and your team so much.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Thanks, have been having a lovely week at work and this has brightened up my day :)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Crossposting from the Steam thread: Devolver Digital just leaked a Vine (for that is what the cool kids do) of Duke Nukem 3D +, which appears to be Duke 3D with some minor visual tweaks and achievements from the XBLA version. Hopefully this means better multiplayer support, even if just P2P lobbies via Steamworks, because getting people connected with eDuke32 is kind of a mess.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
After winning World War II on Astrolab, I went on a little trip to Candy Planet, but all the sugar there seemed to have attracted some bugs:

There's some sort of Z-fighting looking thing going on with that cliff face. It's not especially obvious on this screenshot, but you can still see the comb-like streaks along the white area.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

This is probably really old but the screen Reelism puts up when you run it with ZDL (which automatically tries to load right into a map) is great. :buddy:

e: kind of wish the slot descriptions were in the top-right corner of the screen instead of the top-left because pick-up messages and stuff can obscure them where they are now.

It's too bad it doesn't work in Zandronum because boy would it be fun to get some multiplayer going. I mean it's still possible but a little less pleasant. ZDL makes it pretty easy (and you can just define "lobby" as the map you want to start with in the newest version) but it would take some coordination to set up. Could always use the Steam group! Pick a day, make sure everyone knows to be in Steam chat at a specific time to get the IP address of the host. We should make this happen.

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Feb 12, 2013

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

I am so down for some multiplayer with this.

A bit of an oddity: When playing boss practice on Gutrot Island, Ms. The Jerk doesn't seem to be able to damage me.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

tooooooo bad posted:

e: kind of wish the slot descriptions were in the top-right corner of the screen instead of the top-left because pick-up messages and stuff can obscure them where they are now.

You can center messages from the Options -> HUD Options -> Message Options menu.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Guillermus posted:

This is absolutely true. UT '99 is hands down my favourite arena shooter of all time. Bot AI is really awesome and you can actually see them following your orders and not wander around doing nothing. Unreal and Unreal Tournament are still my favourite FPS ever. Both games are also incredibly easy to play on LAN (I recommend GOG versions so you don't need to run steam) and a blast to play with friends. I love to play with 3-4 friends, set up a huge, hard bot team and play Assault.

Just a heads up - the last official patch (436 Delta) removed the copy protection altogether. It can also be installed over the Steam version to make a completely DRM free copy, no :filez: required!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Please tell me you have a build that exhibits this bug.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The Kins posted:

Very cool! Thanks, Kins.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

The Kins posted:

You are truely awesome for doing this, Kins. :) I played a little bit before I left for school this morning and just finished beating my first boss.

I think the slots were really good to me that game since I really didn't get any waves of super difficult enemies.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Haha, decided to play the old Reelism.

Doggy player and faster weapon firing. :getin:
Does the dog use a super BFG or something? It completely obliterated the parking garage on that mall map with 1 shot.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Small note about using ZDL, the skill setting determines the game mode. "V. Easy" is normal, "easy" is endurance, etc.

Also I'm sitting in the Steam group chatroom :siren: right now :siren: and I need someone to try some Reelism co-op out with. Not an admin so I can't make a group announcement to that effect. I'm using ZDL but you can use the command line if you want. Either way you'll need the newest SVN release of GZDoom r1526 (and it came out two days ago so you're probably out of date). No idea if this will work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

tooooooo bad posted:

Small note about using ZDL, the skill setting determines the game mode. "V. Easy" is normal, "easy" is endurance, etc.

Also I'm sitting in the Steam group chatroom :siren: right now :siren: and I need someone to try some Reelism co-op out with. Not an admin so I can't make a group announcement to that effect. I'm using ZDL but you can use the command line if you want. Either way you'll need the newest SVN release of GZDoom r1526 (and it came out two days ago so you're probably out of date). No idea if this will work.

Kins, toooo bad and I just tried multiplayer out on Steam. He says when he went into a level from the lobby, the server spit out "no player 2 start", and I got disconnected with a bus error. Is this a problem with the map we chose? Like, it's missing a player 2 spawn point actor or whatever?