Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Saukkis posted:

In the next phase the EV itself will check electricity prices and charge when it is cheapest.

Is the intraday variance enough that it matters? Even comparing the min and max we're talking €0.01/km for a model S, let alone a more efficient car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I don't know about grid capacity, but yes, night time charging is what most people can use to cover most of their transport needs, not long rows of superchargers. That means street parking and parking garages need charging stations. BYO cable, plug into Type 2 outlet or similar AC, get 2-3 kW. The power of one single supercharger can charge a streetful of cars.

Going for a 200 mile trip but can only get 100 miles overnight? Drive 80 miles to the supercharger, have a coffee and a piss, keep going.

Better cable security would be nice, have been some cases of theft here. The cables are expensive and the locks aren't that solid.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ola posted:

Better cable security would be nice, have been some cases of theft here. The cables are expensive and the locks aren't that solid.

Aren't the cables attached to the charger? That's how I've seen the Level 2 stuff here.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

Aren't the cables attached to the charger? That's how I've seen the Level 2 stuff here.

Get a high enough density of cables and someone will decide it's worth their while to get some insulated cable cutters.

I remember reading about a project to make electrically conductive cables made out of carbon, which were basically worthless except as conductors and couldn't be melted down and recast like copper cables can be. It'd be a real boon to places like Africa where cable theft is rampant, but I wouldn't mind having such things in the US as well.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

They can be, but for the most part they aren't. I guess part of the reason is cost, it's a big % of a small 3.6 kW station, there's also different plugs on the current cars, Type 1 and Type 2 (other end of cable has Type 2 on both).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Saukkis posted:

Would the 350kW charging really matter? The deciding factor should be how much energy the car uses during the average commute? More powerful charging stations just means the car needs to spend less time on the station and there would be less cars charging at the same time. And larger batteries means the car needs to visit the station less often. Gas pedal is still what determines how much energy is needed in the end.

Has anyone tried to estimate how much charging capacity does the grid have if most of it is done when it's most convenient, during night?

A while back I tried to do this for the finnish power grid. I used the statistics from national grid operator to find the peak annual consumption and considered that the max capacity. I then compared that to the consumption during a normal night and calculated the available extra capacity. I googled for the distance of the average commute and made an estimate about how much electricity a Tesla might consume based on that. From this I estimated that the grid would have capacity to charge about half a million Teslas during a usual night.

This is of course based on the assumption that charging is mostly done during night, but since electricity is cheapest then, the EV owners have large incentive to do that as long it is convenient enough. Homeowners have had dual-price power meters for decades, that measure separately the power consumption during day and night, and they pay different prices for the electricity. This can be directly applied for EVs.

Nowadays pretty much every household has a power meter with 1 hour granularity. Here's my consumption from tuesday. First phase is to set a timer on the EV so it chargers during night, I believe many of them are capable of that. In the next phase the EV itself will check electricity prices and charge when it is cheapest. And in the final phase you give the EV access to your calendar and it will check you meetings to figure out if tomorrow will be a normal commute or if you need to visit a client and use that to estimate how much it needs to charge. It's like the Bentley fillup service but no humans have to be involved.

An interesting thing that factors into this is calculating the power usage of a traditional street lamp and the new LED street lamps that are replacing them. My city of 100,000 is replacing 10,000 HPS street lights with LEDs, cutting power usage from around 400w/light to 200w/light taking 2,000kw off the grid. over 8 hours, that's 16,000kwh, or enough to give 1400 teslas 50km of range every night, and that's just half of the street lights.

10 years ago around 8-9 pm, every one of the ~40,000 houses would probably average 5 60 watt lightbulbs on. now they average 5 13 watt CFLs, soon it will be 5 4w LEDs. That frees up 280 watts per household, again, enough to give around 1100 cars 50km of range.

Flourescent tube LEDs in every bank, office, store, or school use 17 watts, vs the flourescent's 32 watts.

Just LED light bulb efficiency frees up enough power to give 50km to probably 5,000 - 10,000 cars a day in a city with 40,000 households.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
EV's increased electrical load on the system will be solved by micro-grids. The Gigafactory just added a lab for them.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Get a high enough density of cables and someone will decide it's worth their while to get some insulated cable cutters.

I remember reading about a project to make electrically conductive cables made out of carbon, which were basically worthless except as conductors and couldn't be melted down and recast like copper cables can be. It'd be a real boon to places like Africa where cable theft is rampant, but I wouldn't mind having such things in the US as well.

Seems like that would increase electrical resistance, much like those inductive chargers

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer

Powershift posted:

10 years ago around 8-9 pm, every one of the ~40,000 houses would probably average 5 60 watt lightbulbs on. now they average 5 13 watt CFLs, soon it will be 5 4w LEDs. That frees up 280 watts per household, again, enough to give around 1100 cars 50km of range.

Flourescent tube LEDs in every bank, office, store, or school use 17 watts, vs the flourescent's 32 watts.

Just LED light bulb efficiency frees up enough power to give 50km to probably 5,000 - 10,000 cars a day in a city with 40,000 households.
Don't forget to throw in refrigerators, crt tvs, and desktop computers. A new energy star refrigerator uses a ton less energy than one did 20 years ago

Heres a fun chart that goes up to 2014, just before LEDs became cheap, electricity use per capita actually peaked back in 2000 around the time CFLs started to become popular:
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/EG.USE.ELEC.KH.PC?end=2014&locations=US&name_desc=false&start=1960&view=chart

Jimong5 fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jul 28, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

blugu64 posted:

Seems like that would increase electrical resistance, much like those inductive chargers

From what I dimly recall, they had similar conductivity as copper. The drawback was that they were much harder to manufacture, so the price was hideous.

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Saukkis posted:

Would the 350kW charging really matter?

For the average commute, no. For people who regularly go on long trips or who have no access to household charging, it could make quite a difference.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Michael Scott posted:

Sicilian! We can't PM but I want to ask about something. Can you email me at michaelscottsa@gmail.com ? :)

christ you are a thirsty one aren't you

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Michael Scott posted:

Sicilian! We can't PM but I want to ask about something. Can you email me at michaelscottsa@gmail.com ? :)

God drat man.

Stop it.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

drgitlin posted:

Eventually, people are going to realize that we're entering a period where there are going to be more niche cars, and that's Ok. The future of transportation (I really do want to murder whoever made "mobility" a thing) is going to be multimodal, and one size isn't going to fit all. Everyone has their own special edge case and the solutions won't all be the same.
This is a few pages back but I think you're on point. Buy a car that covers 95% of your needs and rent another car for the rest. People are obsessed with "EVs aren't market ready until they cover my every imaginable corner case!"

If you spend 51 weeks a year just commuting to work and driving the kids to soccer practice, you don't need to buy a 4x4 Land Rover/G63/etc just because you go camping off road in the mountains one week per year. That's just pissing away money.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Collateral Damage posted:

This is a few pages back but I think you're on point. Buy a car that covers 95% of your needs and rent another car for the rest. People are obsessed with "EVs aren't market ready until they cover my every imaginable corner case!"

If you spend 51 weeks a year just commuting to work and driving the kids to soccer practice, you don't need to buy a 4x4 Land Rover/G63/etc just because you go camping off road in the mountains one week per year. That's just pissing away money.

If I had been able to get a 200mi range EV in 2013 when I bought my Volt, and NOTHING ELSE had changed, I would have needed a different car four times. If it was a Tesla, or otherwise able to access the supercharger network, that number would be zero. (Other DC fast-charge systems are rare as hens teeth, here.)

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

MrYenko posted:

If I had been able to get a 200mi range EV in 2013 when I bought my Volt, and NOTHING ELSE had changed, I would have needed a different car four times. If it was a Tesla, or otherwise able to access the supercharger network, that number would be zero. (Other DC fast-charge systems are rare as hens teeth, here.)

Oh boy, day of the reveal. I hope some cool stuff is announced today.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
So is there going to be a live stream or something?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

At 2045 PST, I think. 2345 for those of us on the right coast. :(

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

MrYenko posted:

At 2045 PST, I think. 2345 for those of us on the right coast. :(

Take a nap and remember it probably won't start on time.

Latest pre-delivery speculation is the small pack beats the bolt, large battery pack will get well over 300 miles.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Are there going to be multiple pack options at launch? I thought the only choices were wheels and colours.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I would imagine the first probably 50k are going to just be "loaded" and then they'll start offering other options.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They said they weren't offering the D models now to simplify manufacturing, so that would be an odd choice. We'll see!

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004
They didn't want to produce both motors, since that would "double the chances of something going wrong" with early cars, since the motors are different designs. And I think the options to choose for the first builds are color and wheels, but that doesn't mean the first ones will be poverty spec.

They've streamlined the options available for the S to be "Premium Upgrades" and the rear facing seats. If they treat the 3 similarly, the first cars off the line may have the larger pack, and the premium package, and that's it for options until they add dual motors.

Edit: Here's an imgur album with some photos pre-show. http://imgur.com/a/socyu There's a pic with 40 Model 3's, so looks like they've beat their estimate some.

borkencode fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jul 29, 2017

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
Livestream

https://livestream.tesla.com/?redirect=no

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

...But can I have the Model S with the Katyusha launcher projector in the back?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Well, that was light on actual content.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

MrYenko posted:

Right? I was expecting more details and interior shots.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

https://www.wired.com/story/i-drove-a-tesla-model-3

Wired posted:

Initially, Tesla is building just two configurations of the car, to keep things as simple on the production line. The base will be the $35,000 version, with a range of 220 miles and acceleration from 0-60 mph in 5.6 seconds. The “long range” version will go a claimed 310 miles between charges, and do the 0-60 sprint in 5.1 seconds—but it’ll set you back $44,000. Both models come with just one electric motor driving the back wheels. The twin motor, the all-wheel-drive option, will follow in a few months. (In a break from tradition, Tesla won’t talk kilowatt-hour battery sizes, saying that customers understand range in miles better.)

Then there are optional add-ons, which will quickly jack up the price. Turning on Autopilot is $5,000. A premium package, with the fancy glass roof, power adjustable front seats, and wood trim, is another $5,000. If and when Tesla actually enables full self-driving, it will set you back another $3,000.

So I was pretty sure that the base model wouldn't hit 300 miles in range--and I was right about that--but I'm kinda surprised they couldn't get it to beat the Bolt.

I guess I'm kind of neutral on the whole thing. I can't shake the feeling that the interior is a turd and the exterior is a Mazda 3 (which I like, but still). Maybe it just takes some getting used to the dashpad. Still, the more competition the merrier and I look forward to seeing how the other manufacturers respond.

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

MrYenko posted:

Yeah, I think everyone was hoping for quite a bit more.

Ars review https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/07/pared-down-electric-experience-driving-one-of-the-first-model-3s-off-the-line/

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
I'm glad they addressed the interior and lack of physical controls for all you haters... Oh poo poo.

EDIT: This livestream is about to take a test drive in one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBZeJaqa6ZM

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
56.5k for long range with enhanced autopilot and premium interior. The 3 still isn't *cheap*, but its better than an S. I'm still on the fence on taking my reservation or not. I'd like a long range dual motor in early 2019. Maybe I can defer that long... I guarantee I'm not buying one without driving it first.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Well, if you drop your pre-order, good luck on 2019. They have half a million pre-orders already and they're saying they aim to hit 50,000 Model 3s in the first year.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

Well, if you drop your pre-order, good luck on 2019. They have half a million pre-orders already and they're saying they aim to hit 50,000 Model 3s in the first year.

What was the quoted date for 5k a week production again? I suspect this is subject to Elon time.

We can literally see the interior live as this schmuck waits in line and eats desserts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBZeJaqa6ZM

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

The Sicilian posted:

What was the quoted date for 5k a week production again? I suspect this is subject to Elon time.

December (end of December probably).

The Wired and Ars articles have more information than Elon's presentation did. $5k for premium package, with glass roof.

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe
The vents are computer controlled and you can shoot them at whatever direction you want. The two control nub wheels remain. The test driver somewhat awkwardly changed the steering wheel height using them on the touchscreen while driving.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

That sounds like trying to fix something that wasn't broken and making a complete mess

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

That sounds like trying to fix something that wasn't broken and making a complete mess

It is if you consider "cost" being broken

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

Idk let's see how it pans out real world usage wise. It was actually an interesting control scheme.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The Sicilian posted:

Idk let's see how it pans out real world usage wise. It was actually an interesting control scheme.

Yeah, but so is tacticle buttons and vents that can be adjusted without having to scroll through menus.

This sounds like myfordtouch taken to an even further extreme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sicilian
Sep 3, 2006

by Smythe

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but so is tacticle buttons and vents that can be adjusted without having to scroll through menus.

This sounds like myfordtouch taken to an even further extreme.

It was 2 dots you move past a meridian point. I a sure there will be an automatic setting. I don't ever really touch the vents to move the positioning, only to change temp or fan speed which I do with the Tesla scroll wheels in the S.

• Locked thread