Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I don't see a TV, what cheap bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nateron
Mar 9, 2009

What spit?
I believe that crosses the spectrum right to Glamping.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That's my future house.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Some friends of friends have decided to run/hike from here to banff mostly along ridgelines and the continental divide. Think they've been at it for 2-3 days and you can follow their progress here:

https://share.delorme.com/thenorthface
http://crownofthecontinent.natgeotourism.com/content/crown-traverse-600-mile-mountain-journey/cot92a23574e470587da

I raced bikes against Mike Wolfe last fall. he beat me.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I'm about to head off for a week into the wilderness who wants my bike if a bear eats me

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Local photographer I follow (Myke Hermsmeyer) posted this one from glacier the other day:

Looks like that would have been an exciting few minutes.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I am Not A Fan of grizzlies best be sure I'd be packing bear spray and an itchy trigger finger

Honestly bears are something I don't care for in the backpacking experience if only because they're another thing to worry about in one way or another, though they are almost always harmless. I just don't get anything out of seeing one for the most part.

Marmots, now I"m cool with marmots

e: also, get the gently caress off the trail, bear :mad:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I don't even really care about black bears anymore, they're more of a nuisance than a threat, maybe a threat to your food of anything. If they have a cub then yeah they could be a problem but usually they run off when they see or hear you coming.

Looking to meet my step brother somewhere between seattle and missoula. Probably land somewhere around the Idaho/washington border for a weekend camping trip somewhere in the next few weeks.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Nateron posted:

I believe that crosses the spectrum right to Glamping.

ding ding ding

Picnic Princess posted:

That's my future house.
I've always wondered what it'd be like to stay in a safari tent, with a feather bed and fridge while on safari. Glamping is weird as poo poo to me.

SeaborneClink fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 19, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

jamal posted:

Some friends of friends have decided to run/hike from here to banff mostly along ridgelines and the continental divide. Think they've been at it for 2-3 days and you can follow their progress here:

https://share.delorme.com/thenorthface
http://crownofthecontinent.natgeotourism.com/content/crown-traverse-600-mile-mountain-journey/cot92a23574e470587da

I raced bikes against Mike Wolfe last fall. he beat me.

I'm assuming it's part of the Great Divide Trail, which I've done a LOT of up here in sections. If so, it's loving awesome. It passes through a lot of the places I've posted about here.

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

I had a pretty good weekend camping at Enchanted Rock with the wife and the pups. We had good weather.

Now we're hitting some vineyards in Austin on the way home.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I've been looking for my first new pack in over 10 years. Right now I hike mostly in the GSMNP, Blue Ridge Parkway area, and along the AT (Roane Mountain area is my favorite). I will be doing mostly long day hikes (once to twice a month and a few overnighters yearly). I was looking into light packs and ran into the Osprey Exos 48. REI didn't have one in the store, but I tested out the Exos 58 (about 600 cubic inches bigger) this weekend on a 11 mile hike in GSMNP. I absolutely thought it was the mostly comfortable pack I ever used (packs have came a long way since I bought my last pack), and I was pretty happy with it. I still want the 48, because 2 nights will be the most I will ever be out.

Am I on the right track for my needs? Any other suggestions?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I did my first real hike and solo wild camp last friday up Ben Cruachan, a Munro in Scotland. It was pretty spectacular.

You can start the trail with a nice gradual road winding up beside Loch Awe, on the left.

There were some pretty sweet looking sheep on the way up.

Salmon farm in Loch Awe.

Oh did I mention half way up there's a loving dam and reservoir? Ben Cruachan is also called the 'Hollow Mountain' as underneath it there's a power station which the dam is linked to.

Walking along the dam.

Panorama of the reservoir. Ben Cruachan is the highest point, on the left at the back with the shaded top.

It was the perfect day to summit, look at these views from the top.

I set up camp on a bealach (similar to a col or saddle) just below the summit. I had climbed up with several friends but none of them had the gear to camp, so I went solo. When they all left it was a pretty weird experience, the place was so quiet.

There was barely any light pollution so I was able to see the milky way incredibly clearly, it's rare to see in the UK unless you're in remote places like this.

And to top it all off, in the morning I woke up to the sight of a cloud inversion.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

God drat those are beautiful pictures.

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
drat, those excellent pictures made me realize I need to get my rear end across the channel for some solo hiking. Still a couple of years until the kids are old enough to get permission from the missus to bail for a week though. :3:

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Internet Explorer posted:

God drat those are beautiful pictures.

Thanks! Yeah it was totally worth bringing my camera and tripod all the way up that's for sure, I would have really regretted not taking them.

theroachman posted:

drat, those excellent pictures made me realize I need to get my rear end across the channel for some solo hiking. Still a couple of years until the kids are old enough to get permission from the missus to bail for a week though. :3:

I've basically just got into hiking and now there's a growing list of places around the world I want to go. I was really pleased I did the camp and descent solo, it's a totally different experience.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Verman posted:

Looking to meet my step brother somewhere between seattle and missoula. Probably land somewhere around the Idaho/washington border for a weekend camping trip somewhere in the next few weeks.
This time of year, wear orange.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

NaDy posted:

There were some pretty sweet looking sheep on the way up.

Daaaamn, those are some badass horns! Looks like you were very close to him too!

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Desolation Wilderness, CA is very pretty this time of year. Easy to reach the PCT/Tahoe Rim Trail too.

That's overlooking Upper Velma Lake, I think.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Sep 21, 2015

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I hate everyone who has access to lakes without a few dozen yards of marsh and brambles all along the shoreline.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
There was more snow than I had bargained for.

Two weeks left in Idaho and I know I'm gonna miss it the day I leave.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

gohuskies posted:

Daaaamn, those are some badass horns! Looks like you were very close to him too!

Yeah I was pretty close but luckily there was a fence between us!

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
Anyone have a favorite trail or suggestion for a full day hike around Denver in early to mid October? I'm going to be there for a couple days prior to work but with the way meetings are setup I'll only have one day and won't be able to camp out, unfortunately.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Vomik posted:

Anyone have a favorite trail or suggestion for a full day hike around Denver in early to mid October? I'm going to be there for a couple days prior to work but with the way meetings are setup I'll only have one day and won't be able to camp out, unfortunately.

I've never done it myself, but my wife grew up in Denver and swears by the Blue Lake trail as her favorite of all time.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Mikey Purp posted:

I've never done it myself, but my wife grew up in Denver and swears by the Blue Lake trail as her favorite of all time.

That looks quite pretty and is pretty close to Denver. Thanks... I'll definitely check that out

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have to majorly thank everyone who recommended desolation wilderness during my time in Sacramento, holy crap it was 3 days of amazing. Picture post coming later on.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Is there some sort of master list of quilt/bag recommendations? I hiked a few miles into a state forest carrying my Expedition hammock and the vintage airborne mummy bag I borrowed from my father in law. Verdict: gently caress huge, heavy bags. I'd rather pay for something reasonably light and compact.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Just out of curiosity, has anyone panned for gold while hiking or backpacking? I just looked to see what Washingtons regulations were and they were surprisingly relaxed.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Verman posted:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone panned for gold while hiking or backpacking? I just looked to see what Washingtons regulations were and they were surprisingly relaxed.

i have, iirc simple panning is totally fine, you just can't dredge or anything

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Just back from 7 days in the Emigrant Wilderness. Basically hiked east into the Hoover Wilderness, then back west on a different trail with a few dips into Yosemite to make the loop out. Great area and scenery, though it lacks the high country that the more southern parts of the Sierra have.

It is dry as gently caress right now though. We barely saw any running water at all. All the lake inlet/outlets were dry, 99% of the streams were dry, it was eerily silent because there was just no running water at all. Meadows were dried up pretty bad all over.

Will post some pics tomorrow. Good trip though, and if anyone else ever goes there I'd recommend taking a trip up into Upper Twin Lake as it was the nicest place we stayed at.

Loucks posted:

Is there some sort of master list of quilt/bag recommendations? I hiked a few miles into a state forest carrying my Expedition hammock and the vintage airborne mummy bag I borrowed from my father in law. Verdict: gently caress huge, heavy bags. I'd rather pay for something reasonably light and compact.

Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends are kinda the upper tier of down bags (probably some others in there too but those are the two I know) but expensive. I think higher end Marmot bags are pretty well regarded as well. As for quilts, Enlightened Equipment is a cottage industry maker that does some good stuff, Jacks R Better I've heard alright things about, Nunatek quilts are expensive as a good quality bag but probably are upper tier

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Levitate posted:

Western Mountaineering and Feathered Friends are kinda the upper tier of down bags (probably some others in there too but those are the two I know) but expensive. I think higher end Marmot bags are pretty well regarded as well. As for quilts, Enlightened Equipment is a cottage industry maker that does some good stuff, Jacks R Better I've heard alright things about, Nunatek quilts are expensive as a good quality bag but probably are upper tier

WM and FF are the go to for traditional mummy bags. For quilts, look at Katabatic Gear and Zpacks in addition to the others listed. Nunatak isn't really recommended much anymore from what I've seen. My little sister has one and its a decent piece, but they're a little overpriced. They also used to always underrate them, so you needed an oz or two to make them true to their ratings.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Ah! Katabatic was actually the brand I was thinking of when I said Nunatak!

Also forgot about ZPacks...also well regarded but on the pricey side.

Quick pic of Upper Twin Lake from my trip. Went swimming.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
You know I wish I was going to more places when I joined the Utah Conservation Corps (that and my original crew not quitting after the first week because they thought they were above spraying Smooth Brome), but I got to say being at Bryce 4 days on the week till Nov 13 isn't that bad of a problem to have. I mean its also kind of lame that we are spoiled compared to other crews (we camp at North Campground, don't have to poo poo in repurposed ammo boxes, water source is right by the campsite, don't have to hike 6 mi to the campsite), but being able to walk along the rim trail makes all the hard spraying/chainsaw work at Rainbow point worth it.

From Bryce Point which is the best view point to see the Sunrise, not Sunrise Point

So if you see a fat guy in a field spraying Smooth Brome with a backpack full of Ranger Pro, that is me.

Last week loving sucked with all that rain, it was just so steady that the left side of my tent was pooling with water, need a better sleeping bag too, I'm freezing in the morning because so much of my 20 degree tent has cold air in it. Need to get a tarp and a better sleeping pad to make things better.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Rain pants--

I've been looking at some 2-layer and 3-layer shell pants for hiking in wild, wet, unpredictable weather as well as something I can wear on Antarctica in the summer. So, something that works well with layers. Everything I see is for skiing, nothing really for medium/high activity in mild weather rain. The closest I can come to is the Gore Bike Wear pants, which actually seem reasonable on Amazon.com at $130 but are likely pretty light on durability.

I realize these things don't breathe for poo poo. Do people, for the most part, just not wear them during high activity if it's not freezing or has no danger of freezing (especially if they're already wearing gaiters)? If there is a danger of freezing, what do people pack? Ski pants with no lining?

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 26, 2015

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Verman posted:

No gold here, it's all really old sedimentary rocks.

Now fossil hunting, you don't even have to try. I find some form of marine fossil literally ever time I go out. There are some areas where it's legal to collect, and I have a few I found here at home now on a shelf with a bunch of neat rocks I've found too. Kind of a geo nerd.

Smoove J
Sep 13, 2003

yeah Meade's ok I spose
I climbed Mt Jackson yesterday, 10,052 ft and fourth highest in Glacier Park. Light pack, I strapped on trail runners and ran to the base of the mtn, changed into boots and hiked up and down, then ran back, 12 hours 20 miles and 6000 ft ele gain. Horizontal sleet and 60 mph winds at the summit, no views. But on the way up and back I got some cool shots.

8:40AM

9:44AM

12:23PM

3:03PM

4:12PM

5:17PM

6:09PM

6:25PM

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Well I got a new hiking partner.

Ironically enough I had to drive through pasayten (my first backpacking trip in Washington state) to go get him.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

That dog looks chill as everything :smugdog:

What's his/her name?

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Dog for the time being. Just picked him up last night and trying to figure out a name tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungryjack
May 9, 2003

We swung out to Pedernales Falls State Park this weekend. Didn't do much hiking or camping there, but it was a hot day so we hiked down to the river and I brought my hammock and my dogs as one does.

The water was low, but clear and cool and the pups had a great time swimming and splashing around while I lazed in the shade with my feet in the water.